Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale, and Steve Carrell in "The Big Short"

Damn, Steve Carell doesn't look like himself there.

THR's Roundtable for ''The Big Short'' is out. Y'all know where to find it. :o

MtmNy9I.jpg

Good movie but very depressing when you think about how the banks got away with it.

The ads are somewhat misleading. Bale and Pitt basically appear in scenes by themselves. They don't interact at all with Carell or Gosling.

I did realize halfway through we got a mini Crazy, Stupid Love reunion between Carell, Gosling, and Tomei.

The celebrity explains skits reminded me of John Oliver's show.

The ending is depressing

As someone who's very familiar with the subject matter, I thought director Adam McKay and screenwriter Charles Randolph did a fantastic job of breaking down semi-complex Wall Street investment jargon. I mean let's be honest - even though this subject matter ruined millions of lives, ironically enough it still has the propensity to both confuse and bore people.

Everyone involved puts in a great performance, but it's the Bale-Pitt-Carrell-Gosling quad that carry the film. Christian Bale in particular really sold the part of Michael Burry - an eccentric man with Asparger's who happens to run a hedge fund. I loved McKay's non-traditional shooting style and having Gosling break the fourth wall from time-to-time. My only beef is that on occasion I felt he struggled to lace all the various characters together into the story and that the movie didn't quite know how to end.

My favorite moment of the entire film is when Pitt's character reminds the two young men he helped short the housing market that they shouldn't dance while celebrating the success of their big bet. It really drove home the moral dilemna of there being much more at stake than a return on investment from betting against an over-inflated and downright fraudulent housing market.

Last edited:
Watching this tonight. Didn't like it at all.

6/10

From what I know of your posts here, it didn't really seem like it would be a movie that's your cup of tea.

What specifically didn't you like?

As someone who's very familiar with the subject matter, I thought director Adam McKay and screenwriter Charles Randolph did a fantastic job of breaking down semi-complex Wall Street investment jargon. I mean let's be honest - even though this subject matter ruined millions of lives, ironically enough it still has the propensity to both confuse and bore people.

Everyone involved puts in a great performance, but it's the Bale-Pitt-Carrell-Gosling quad that carry the film. Christian Bale in particular really sold the part of Michael Burry - an eccentric man with Asparger's who happens to run a hedge fund. I loved McKay's non-traditional shooting style and having Gosling break the fourth wall from time-to-time. My only beef is that on occasion I felt he struggled to lace all the various characters together into the story and that the movie didn't quite know how to end.

My favorite moment of the entire film is when Pitt's character reminds the two young men he helped short the housing market that they shouldn't dance when it comes to celebrating the success of their big bet. It really drove home the moral dilemna that there was much more at stake here than a return on investment from betting against an over-inflated and downright fraudulent housing market.
Good post. Also my favorite scene of the film, Pitt is great in it.

From what I know of your posts here, it didn't really seem like it would be a movie that's your cup of tea.

What specifically didn't you like?

The depressing tone. It just, just didn't feel right. I HATED how it ended. There was no climax for me.

I loved this film and Bale's performance in particular. Hope he wins the Oscar.

I can't criticize a movie that's giving me this... :lmao:

CY-M-x2UEAAAFdt.jpg

Reminds me of an interview I saw of the cast at the Golden Globes. McKay asks Bale "What was your worst sexual experience of your life?" and Bale said "The casting process for The Big Short".

Looks like there was some truth to it. :p

Bale was great, but Carrel definitely deserved a nom more than him, in my opinion.

Both Bale and Carell were the heart of this story.

This is a story that was really driven by McKay, who allowed his actors to really improvise and take control of their scenes. Brilliantly done.

I was surprised Carell missed out since he was the one campaigning the most and he's in the Lead actor category which is much easier to get into this year compared to the Supporting Actor. His character is really funny and has so much heart but Bale's character is more complex and much harder to pull off IMO so I guess that's why the actors gravitated more to it? But both are great and deserving of accolades. Gosling too and the entire ensemble. It's really an ensemble piece more than anything.

But really... McKay is the MVP of this movie. If this movie can only get one nomination, it should be undoubtedly be McKay.

Last edited:
I can watch this multiple times and it just never gets old. I can watch it from so many perspectives, from the generation who were screwed by this recession to (ashamedly) working in Finance now, it just makes me sad, angry and joyous.

I really think it was in the top 10 of the 2010s. You look at it now and just full of top quality actors, both back then and what others went on to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"