• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Sequels Bryan Singer would love to return to X-Men universe

the point is there are tones of shows and tv movies in the past that have done this but there are even shows like 4400 and shows like babylon 5 that dealt with the same themes like X-men has. In fact they were ripped right from the X-men and the writers of those shows did a good job. and have done movies of them too.

J micheal strayjinskie has a track record of sucess in both movies and tv shows and yet fox hires the guys doing x-men which have show they can't handle that type of thing where he has. what's wrong with this freaking picture?

They have people in hollywood that can do this kind of thing right under their nose's. on has worked for marvel at the same time too.

A TV show with 22 episodes of 40minutes to 1 hour is a bit different from one movie lasting up to 2hrs.

You can accomplish a lot more in a TV series than in a film.

I bet you a guy like j.m.s can do it with one movie if given the chance he managed to do a lot of stand alone episodes with b5 . just on those themes in one episode when dealing with that. each time he touched on that though. In one sitting. that's what I'm saying. and He has done movies before as well . when he was doing those projects it was like some one was calling out "hire me" I know how to handle this job. and I can prove it too.

The guys that did 4400 were basically doing the same at least they come up with an original stories and managed to fit that stuff ( theme wise) into a coherent story.

And no astonishing, uncanny, X-factor, and the rest are in the same continuity.

ultimate is its own continuity ( which I have read but don't care too much for)

I have worked on a X-Men web site and have talked to marvel writers the ones based in 616 "original marvel" are in the same "universe." minus the guy's that like to make retcons cause they like to make rehash stories and claim what they did is their own story . or haven't been keeping up on stories since they them selves stopped reading and screwing up the books. and they don't care for any ones else's story line but their own which caused the problem for comics on occasion.

they don't know how intergrate. or care to know had happen in the character's recent past any more. what ever. the point is script wise there are people that have shown they can handle this type of thing, but fox keeps passing them by. And those people have hits under their belts with that type of writing. and they hire guys not used to what the title should be. it's sad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I want Singer to return to X-Men. I did he did a good job with the first two X-Men movies, before he bailed to make the lackluster SR, and we ended up with X3 which was disappointing to say the least. I think if X-Men 4 is to be made, they should bring in a new director and give it a fresh start, because Singer's trilogy has ended and I prefer another director giving the franchise new sets of ideas, and hopefully be more faithful to the source material.

Yes, as a matter of fact, YOU did.

Hnnh. So I did.

And look at that...it did.

X2: $407,711,549
X3: $459,359,555

Oh...you meant "profit".

Hnnh. So I did.

And look at that...it did.

X2: $407,711,549
X3: $459,359,555

Oh...you meant "profit".

I don't care about personally, X-2 was better reviewed then X-3 and that's a better indicator of quality then box office results. Transformers 2 did better then both of those movies at the box office, but it is way worse then both those films.

X3 I think in part made so much because of the hype built up by the previous 2 films, fans couldn't wait to see what happens next + the promotion (previews) was bloody awesome and excessive (I remeber tv spots everywhere and previews galore, especially on Fox) ... too bad the end result wasn't as satisfying

*IF* Singer is (re)hired to write future(pre-quel) x-films the he has to honor what came after his 2 films...which means Fox is still under control because what if Singer & Co. don't want to use young Emma or the mutants we saw in XOW? So it'll be interesting to see how the next wave of x movies will turn out because of 6 major characters were either killed, depowered and/or "missing" ala X3...so Singer and his writers have there hands full...

If not X4, let him do a First Class film that covers the founding of the school, Xavier and Eric's falling out, and obviously the first adventure(s) of the Xmen as a team.

That way, it will be a true prequel to the Xmen films and it would prevent someone else from coming along and treating it like a reboot with crazy costumes and the unexplained presence of angel and iceman. Plus, it'll make the Magneto movie obsolete. I mean really, why do people think films about super villains will work? Sure, on a creative level, it might be a well made movie, but really, what's the point? We saw what we needed at the beginning of X1. If the only other thing besides Magneto vs nazis in the film would be Magneto and Xavier, that would fit better in the first class movie anyway.

Magneto, Venom, what's next?

"Witness Norman Osborn's untold rise to power, see the seeds of evil planted within him, and watch as his obsession with his work alienates him from his family and sends him into dark places he won't return from. This summer, witness the origin! 'OSBORN: GREEN GOBLIN ORIGINS'!"

"IRON MONGER: THE OBADIAH STANE STORY"
Like Green Goblin Origins, but with less family and more metal!

"DOC OCK ORIGINS"!
See him feed rosie poetry and get lucky in love, and wonder if it's symbolic when he takes her on a date to the aquarium and the camera lingers on an octopus in one of the tanks as they walk by!

Sorry, end rant/.

Anyway, I welcome back Singer if he gets the opprotunity to jump back on board the good ship X. X4 or First Class would benefit from his touch.

If not X4, let him do a First Class film that covers the founding of the school, Xavier and Eric's falling out, and obviously the first adventure(s) of the Xmen as a team.

That way, it will be a true prequel to the Xmen films and it would prevent someone else from coming along and treating it like a reboot with crazy costumes and the unexplained presence of angel and iceman. Plus, it'll make the Magneto movie obsolete. I mean really, why do people think films about super villains will work? Sure, on a creative level, it might be a well made movie, but really, what's the point? We saw what we needed at the beginning of X1. If the only other thing besides Magneto vs nazis in the film would be Magneto and Xavier, that would fit better in the first class movie anyway.

Magneto, Venom, what's next?

"Witness Norman Osborn's untold rise to power, see the seeds of evil planted within him, and watch as his obsession with his work alienates him from his family and sends him into dark places he won't return from. This summer, witness the origin! 'OSBORN: GREEN GOBLIN ORIGINS'!"

"IRON MONGER: THE OBADIAH STANE STORY"
Like Green Goblin Origins, but with less family and more metal!

"DOC OCK ORIGINS"!
See him feed rosie poetry and get lucky in love, and wonder if it's symbolic when he takes her on a date to the aquarium and the camera lingers on an octopus in one of the tanks as they walk by!

Sorry, end rant/.

Anyway, I welcome back Singer if he gets the opprotunity to jump back on board the good ship X. X4 or First Class would benefit from his touch.

LOL, I knw right?! The only villian movie spin off I think will work is the Dark Knight's Joker...but I see your point...

Singer had the X-Men film franchise in his grasp, and he tossed it aside so that he could run off and drag Superman through the mud. Now we have two film franchises that should've been legendary, but instead are now stalled and wrecked. Thanks, Bryan, but no thanks. You've already done quite enough.

Because that wasn't at all what I was discussing when I cited box office numbers.

What seems now like three, four pages ago, someone made the statement that general audiences after X3 and WOLVERINE, wouldn't go see an X4.

I pointed out that they went to see X3 and WOLVERINE in pretty decent numbers.

Nothing more, nothing less.

X3 I think in part made so much because of the hype built up by the previous 2 films, fans couldn't wait to see what happens next + the promotion (previews) was bloody awesome and excessive (I remeber tv spots everywhere and previews galore, especially on Fox) ... too bad the end result wasn't as satisfying

This is exactly why X3 had such a big opening, people loved the first 2 movies and just couldnt wait to see what happened next, who wouldnt after the end of X2 which most people absolutely loved.

The drop off against minimal competition the next weekend also said something to me, and to be totally fair, the marketing was fantastic, this is something I will always hand to Fox, they know how to market a movie.

X-Men... in my eyes, should be the LOTR of comicbook movies. Above average movies here and there is unaceptable. X-2 was the only movie that somewhat lives up to that expectation. I'll give them a pass for X-1 considering the circumstances. But what has happened to the franchise since is an utter disgrace IMO and any financial success that Fox or anyone wants to talk up is a moot point, because I firmly believe it did not live up to the standards both critically and financially. When the material is as celebrated as any other main stream comic book series, be it Batman, Superman, Spiderman, I hold it to a certain standard that it either meets or fails to meet. Crap movies make money all the time we know that, but good movies can make money as well. And as far as living up to the standards set by Nolan, Jackson, and other superior film makers, X-Men fails miserably to meet that standard, both critically and financially. "Oh it still did... OK... and there were some things they got right" is unacceptable.

Last edited:
I just don't like the way he dashed X-men to the side in order to do Superman. Seriously! You're an artist! Finish what you start.

I just don't like the way he dashed X-men to the side in order to do Superman. Seriously! You're an artist! Finish what you start.
To give Singer some credit, he had wanted to a Supes movie since way before he was ever asked to any of the Xs. I don't know that X3 would have been any better if he had stayed, anyhow. (Well, maybe Cyke wouldn't have been killed off since Marsden took off with Singer). I am not complaining that loudly because Singer had promised us Gambit. It would have only been just a teeny bit part and wouldn't have been played by Taylor and I am beyind happy with what we got from him in Wolverine. If Singer wants to do more X movies then fine, so long as Taylor stays as Remy if he is used.

I can see why Singer would jump at the opportunity to do Superman, but I kind of agree. Singer set up for X3 with X2 and from what I hear the main reason the Phoenix Saga was squeezed into X3 was because X2 set up for it. The new crew wanted X3 to be about X-Men vs Magneto again but they couldn't just leave the set up for the Phoenix Saga hanging there. So they squeezed the story in and rushed it. If Singer was planning for something he should have finished what he started.

What gets me about Singer is that his movies were heavily grounded in reality yet he set us up for the phoenix saga which is probably the X-Men saga most heavily set in fantasy.

It would be no easy task to translate the beloved cosmic story into the world that he established. If he had an idea, that would have been interesting, but since he left and let someone else pick up the pieces we won't really know.

After seeing SR and this comment that he may like to return to a Wolverine movie or first class, simpler x-men movies; I have to doubt his ability to create a great phoenix movie and perhaps that's part of the reason he left.

Would love to see an X-Men 4 that focuses on the human's vs. mutants better than X3: The Last Stand did. I want Bolivar Trask as the main villain with Project Wide Awake being the main point of the film. I want the Sentinels, for real.

The plot should involve the team looking for Cyclops and while at Alkali Lake they discover an old factory and uncover a plot to destroy all of mutant kind.

The Team:

Cyclops
Storm
Iceman
Beast
Colossus
Angel
Kitty
Havok

-R

Don't forget Gambit. :D Must have Gambit.

X-Men... in my eyes, should be the LOTR of comicbook movies. Above average movies here and there is unaceptable. X-2 was the only movie that somewhat lives up to that expectation. I'll give them a pass for X-1 considering the circumstances. But what has happened to the franchise since is an utter disgrace IMO and any financial success that Fox or anyone wants to talk up is a moot point, because I firmly believe it did not live up to the standards both critically and financially. When the material is as celebrated as any other main stream comic book series, be it Batman, Superman, Spiderman, I hold it to a certain standard that it either meets or fails to meet. Crap movies make money all the time we know that, but good movies can make money as well. And as far as living up to the standards set by Nolan, Jackson, and other superior film makers, X-Men fails miserably to meet that standard, both critically and financially. "Oh it still did... OK... and there were some things they got right" is unacceptable.

Ok, what would want to see in the movie series that hasn't been in the series so far? Because there is a lot of stuff in the X-Men comics that wouldn't work on the silver screen, considering what a convoluted mess the comics are at times.

I just don't appreciate the shortcuts they have taken with the storylines and characters they have tried to adapt. I don't have a problem with the choice of characters, the story, or the realism. It's just see too many shortcuts and laziness in the last two efforts and it is rather pathetic.

Don't forget Gambit. :D Must have Gambit.
By the movie's timeline, Gambit would be pretty old by the time X4 comes into play.

Maybe have them run into him, and he knows things about the project and testing on mutants from his time on the Island?

Could be interesting to see a 35-40 year old Gambit in X4.

-R

To give Singer some credit, he had wanted to a Supes movie since way before he was ever asked to any of the Xs. I don't know that X3 would have been any better if he had stayed, anyhow. (Well, maybe Cyke wouldn't have been killed off since Marsden took off with Singer). I am not complaining that loudly because Singer had promised us Gambit. It would have only been just a teeny bit part and wouldn't have been played by Taylor and I am beyind happy with what we got from him in Wolverine. If Singer wants to do more X movies then fine, so long as Taylor stays as Remy if he is used.

I disagree; I don't think Singer would have done any of the following in X3 if he were in charge:

*** Spoiler in case you haven't seen X3 ***

- Kill off Cyke in an almost absent-minded way
- Kill off Prof. Xavier (then bring him back in the end...kinda)
- Make Jean Grey all detached and then turned on everyone (what a wasted potential from the build-up)
- Depowered Mystique
- Stupid "conclusion" of Rogue's story arc
...etc.

Of course, I don't know that for sure since Singer never get to direct X3, but I'm very positive that Singer would've made a better film than Ratner did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"