BvS vs Iron Man 2(Warning Spoilers? I Think?)

First Batman reveals his fascist, Ayn Rand styled ideology in this because Zack Snyder is a teenager at heart and thinks might makes right sounds awesome. Then after Batman is finally going to stab Superman where he turns this into some stupid macho pissing contest BS with, "You aren't a god, you aren't even a man," he hears Martha and is like "Did we just become best friends? YEP!"

It is such terrible storytelling that a massive coincidence--that both their mothers are named Martha--can cause him to change his entire motivation for the whole film on a dime when it is most convenient to the plot.

In short, it is awful storytelling and awful characterization to boot.

I'm not sure you got the movie because their mothers being named Martha is not the sole reason of Batman's change.

As far as the "macho pissing contest"...

I see Batman as an alpha male. As an alpha male, i can see why Batman would try to enforce his superiority on another alpha male. Batman sees Superman as a threat, but he also sees him as someone who makes him feel powerlessness, something he has trained his entire life not to be. In a more human incarnation, i can totally understand why Batman would be portrayed as a more flawed character who, like any human being, can see himself in a situation where confusion, fear and certain questionable emotions makes him behave in a less honorable way.

People accuse IM 2 for being too much setup for Avengers movies but compared to BvS, it is an indie passion project. BvS essentially had teaser trailers for 4 other movies in a scene that frankly had minimal bearing to the story it was trying to tell.

IM 2 is a better film. Its not great but it has a tighter and more focused script, much better editing and it has a better lead actor. BvS has the upper hand in music and cinematograhy

Actually after thinking about it, these two are about equal for me. Had some major similarities too.

- Fight between two protagonists due to bad behavior/abuse of power but what was ultimately little more than a misunderstanding.

- Smarmy, comic relief business man who proliferates the battle between the two heroes and catalyzes an even bigger threat that they inevitably have to team up to defeat.

- Mysterious hottie that also comes through to help them to defeat said threat. And also the protagonists love interest pulls her weight as well.

T"Challa;33299663 said:
People accuse IM 2 for being too much setup for Avengers movies but compared to BvS, it is an indie passion project. BvS essentially had teaser trailers for 4 other movies in a scene that frankly had minimal bearing to the story it was trying to tell.

IM 2 is a better film. Its not great but it has a tighter and more focused script, much better editing and it has a better lead actor. BvS has the upper hand in music and cinematograhy

Agreed. Iron man 2 also have better structure and not so rushed.

First Batman reveals his fascist, Ayn Rand styled ideology in this because Zack Snyder is a teenager at heart and thinks might makes right sounds awesome. Then after Batman is finally going to stab Superman where he turns this into some stupid macho pissing contest BS with, "You aren't a god, you aren't even a man," he hears Martha and is like "Did we just become best friends? YEP!"

It is such terrible storytelling that a massive coincidence--that both their mothers are named Martha--can cause him to change his entire motivation for the whole film on a dime when it is most convenient to the plot.

Kobra said it pretty well but I'll add it seems right out of the comics to me but you're entitled to your opinion. I thought it was great myself.

Ironman 2 more better than BvS

Ironman 2 - 6.9 / 10

BvS - 6 / 10

Not sure how people hated either. Had fun with both. I think people over analyze films these days with the onset of the internet. BvS just had far better characters and acting.

Doesn't even make sense why he would say "Martha" instead of "Mom"?
Um, maybe because he doesn't want to give his identity away to the crazy bat-dude trying to kill him?

This post is so incredibly flawed..... First off, where is the facisim coming from? Secondly, it's clear you either weren't paying attention or you hatred blinded you, because they did not stop the fight just because their mothers had the same name. Sure, the name caught Bruce off guard, of course it would, but it was the realization that, rather than some distant alien, Clark was just a man trying to save his Mom. That's what forced Bruce to see he was wrong and that's why he stopped the fight.

Um, maybe because he doesn't want to give his identity away to the crazy bat-dude trying to kill him?

It's bad storytelling.

It's obvious that Batman is aware that Superman saves people.

But he says it himself, if there's only a 1% chance he's a threat he has to be taken out.

It shouldn't erase the 2 years he's spent hating Superman and making plans to stop him.

Last edited:
I decided I like IM2 better.

MoS = AoU > IM2 > BvS = IM3

One thing IM2 is lesser in is the grouchy girlfriend in the sequel.
Lois is too flat and bland to have that issue, sure she was useful, but she's bland.
IM2 is clearly better.

Both have the issues of trying to set too many things up, but while that's the biggest problem of IM2, BvS has deeper problems where the narrative and editing created a jumbled experience.
This.

This. Plus in general there is far more that Iron Man 2 does really well (most important being a great portrayal of the title character) than BvS does. Iron Man 2 isn't a bad movie by any means, merely an underwhelming one.
And this.

Can you please explain why so many people think that scene is so bad? Because for the life of me I don't get it. I thought it was great.
It's not because [blackout]"Hey, my mom was kidnapped, I ask for your help"[/blackout], but because [blackout]"Why did you say my mother's name?"
"It's his mother's name."
"Oh, let's be pals, although you didn't say why. Wait, I will change my costume to join you to save your mother while you have less than 15 minutes for that task."[/blackout]

Imagine if that happens with a thug Batman is fighting, and she's the thug's wife or girlfriend.
[blackout]"Stay away, no, don't come close to this monster. MARTHA."
"Why did you say her name? WHY?"
"Dude, that's the name of my girlfriend."
"Oh, ok,, I will stop beating on you now."
[/blackout]

IM2 lacks any sort of impact, good or bad. I can't either love it or hate it. It's just a "meh" movie. At least BvS inspires passion and hate like IM2 never did. I believe art should make an impact, regardless of being good or bad. IM2, like other Marvel movies, don't do any of that. They're just savorless and forgettable. They serve the purpose of making money and entertaining people, but not many will be talking about them with passions in years to come.

One thing IM2 is lesser in is the grouchy girlfriend in the sequel.
Lois is too flat and bland to have that issue, sure she was useful, but she's bland.
This.

And this.

It's not because [blackout]"Hey, my mom was kidnapped, I ask for your help"[/blackout], but because [blackout]"Why did you say my mother's name?"
"It's his mother's name."
"Oh, let's be pals, although you didn't say why. Wait, I will change my costume to join you to save your mother while you have less than 15 minutes for that task."[/blackout]

Imagine if that happens with a thug Batman is fighting, and she's the thug's wife or girlfriend.
[blackout]"Stay away, no, don't come close to this monster. MARTHA."
"Why did you say her name? WHY?"
"Dude, that's the name of my girlfriend."
"Oh, ok,, I will stop beating on you now."
[/blackout]

That's what people keep saying, but to me it's clear that wasn't the point.

BvS in a landslide.
lol. It's called an opinion.
tumblr_n9ndg1h1kC1rxevt4o1_500.jpg

If your opinion reflects the critics it's apparently more 'right' though....

IM2,easily. I can't believe how much they screwed the titular characters in BvS.

Iron Man 2's greatest sin is that it is uneventful. It's a movie that is just kinda there, going through the motions. In the grand scheme of things, it's altogether harmless, and at least it didn't compromise its characters.

Batman v Superman, on the other hand, is a fundamentally bad movie that suffers from a major identity crisis and forces audiences to sit through joyless depictions of its titular characters.

Last edited:
Iron Man 2 is a fine popcorn flick that I have no problem watching and enjoying if it happens to be on tv during a lazy Saturday night or it comes up during an MCU marathon or something like that. But it is just kind of bland and forgettable. As Boom said, it is just kind of there. It doesn't really add anything to the MCU, but it doesn't subtract from it either.

At least Iron man 2 have some fun in it. BvS have hardly any. So depressing. Superman especially.

Senate hearing scene:
Iron Man 2 wins on that end for me, even more since the one Tony publicly flipped the bird to turned out to be a member of HYDRA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"