The Dark Knight Rises Can Nolan Break the Trilogy Curse?

Frontier

Arkham Asylum Inmate
Reaction score
There is no trilogy of films in existence that has not endured the curse. Many of them follow the pattern that the first film is great, the second film is even better, and then the third film fails to be better than even the first film.

The Godfather. Star Wars. Superman. Spider-Man. Terminator.

First film rocks, second film is even better, third film falls flat.

I have a lot of faith in Christopher Nolan and his cadre of creators. The man did something few thought possible after 1997's disaster "Batman & Robin" and revived, rebooted, and totally restored the live-action Batman film franchise. The way he did it was by keeping grounded. By relying on talented actors. Good story. It had to have an imagination, mind you -- all superhero films need such. But it was a damn good film, that through word of mouth and time rather than a big box office splash restored people's faith.

With The Dark Knight, we all knew that something ambitious was happening. Many of us doubted Heath Ledger's casting. Many of us feared what Nolan would do to change the Joker. Many of us worried the concepts where too ambitious. We where all eating crow later. What was delivered was the most successful superhero film of all time, grossing a billion dollars. We saw a talented actor playing the part of a clown criminal mad-man not only be nominated, but win both a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. We saw dark and gritty and genius. We saw our faith that had been restored by Begins, cemented by Knight. In Nolan We Trust now.

Now, we're here. At the threshold of the final chapter in the Dark Knight trilogy. We know very, very little outside of two confirmed castings and their characters, and one or two more rumored castings. The curse that has thwarted so many other great trilogies over the decades looms high upon the horizon.

We know Chris Nolan is a master story-teller. We know he's got a cast and a crew anchored by too many Oscars to count. We've seen him do the impossible, twice.

Could he be the one to finally break through? To finally make a trilogy where the third film was not a let-down? Where even if it doesn't surpass the Dark Knight, it is on par or superior to Begins?

No trilogy of films that has not endured the curse? I suggest you try watching:

Man With No Name Trilogy
The Bourne Trilogy
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

As for Nolan, if the overwhelmingly positive comments by his cast and crew about the script of TDKR are any indication, he already has.

Indiana Jones, anyone? I mean, I wouldn't say the third was the best one, but it certainly didn't "fall flat."

As far as Nolan goes, it's not really a worry of mine. The guy's got his head screwed on straighter than most of the people behind those other series, he really knows what he's doing and does it well.

I get the feeliing half the board will think TDKR is the best of the trilogy . The other half will think its the weakest film of the trilogy. That's my gut spesking

I wish there was a poll option for "Don't care." I think TDKR will rock, but personally I wish people weren't so hung up on getting the perfect trilogy.

i don't get when people say that TDK can't be topped.

Toy Story.

/thread. :D

By the way along with Leones excellent Man Wth No Name Trilogy, you also have the late great Toshiro Mifunes Samurai trilogy.

Actually there have been quite a few successful trilogies in foreign films. I'd add the Shaw Bros Wu Sung trilogy as well, which actually was filmed in reverse order - last to first... and Changs Shaolin Trilogy - which is a personal fav, and which Tarantino blantantly ripped off for scenes in Kill Bill.

BTw, And some had faith in Ledger all along.

Last edited:
Like many have said, there's been quite a few great 3rd parts in film trilogies.

However, if we filter this concept down to just superhero movies then...yeah. There hasn't been a single good 3rd movie in a Superhero trilogy. And I do think that Rises has the best chance of breaking that curse.

I'm confident that he can and will make a third movie that lives up to expectations.

Absolutely not. Batman's doomed.

Now can SHH break the multi-threads curse?

I get the feeliing half the board will think TDKR is the best of the trilogy . The other half will think its the weakest film of the trilogy. That's my gut spesking

I agree, I think it will be a film people will either love or hate. Which isn't always a bad thing imo.

I agree, I think it will be a film people will either love or hate. Which isn't always a bad thing imo.
Yeah . I have faith Ill be one of those liking it , but lets not compare ity to TDK . Its going to be different to TDK as TDK was with Begins

I predict (I hope anyway!) Nolan is going to make a Batman film that will stand toe to toe with the last two films...and maybe in many ways be better. Too bad Heath Ledger isn't around for the end, but I have a feeling that come 2012 we won't even be thinking about Joker. I think Jokers presence will be felt in the movie in some way tho. Anne Hathaway will be more interesting than we have any idea. , and Christian Bale, much to everyones surprise, will steal the show as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a Trilogy Curse, but there is such a thing as artists losing their touch, getting worn out, tired and passing along their work to other lesser artists and producers.

Indiana Jones proves there is no trilogy curse, every film is good in it's own way and we shall never speak of the fourth one.

No trilogy of films that has not endured the curse? I suggest you try watching:

Man With No Name Trilogy
The Bourne Trilogy
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

As for Nolan, if the overwhelmingly positive comments by his cast and crew about the script of TDKR are any indication, he already has.

The man with no name trilogy is not really a trilogy in the classic sense- the stories have no relation.
LOTR was based off an acclaimed book that was intended to be read as one whole so I don't count it as a trilogy

However the bourne trilogy is an excellent example of a perfect trilogy. There really is no weak link.

Indiana Jones, anyone? I mean, I wouldn't say the third was the best one, but it certainly didn't "fall flat."

The last Indiana Jones is my favourite. :yay:

I don't think there is a third movie "curse" per se. Its usually because the hype after the second one is so enormous it makes the third seem weaker by comparison. Return of the Jedi is not a bad movie. Its a very good one. But the shadow and the hype cast by ESB was so immense it drowned out any hope it ever had of being a satisfactory ending. Also Ewoks. :oldrazz: (I kid).

Nolan jammed his fist in the pie by making Bane a member of the League of Shadows. It echoes Sandman being Ben's killer. Contrived. Brilliant!

I think we're all forgetting three VERY important film trilogies...

3 Ninjas, Mighty Ducks & Ninja Turtles.

:p

I think we're all forgetting three VERY important film trilogies...

3 Ninjas, Mighty Ducks & Ninja Turtles.

:p

Actually TMNT is considered a Saga, buddy. :oldrazz:

And yes, Nolan's trilogy should be a complete success; if not, perhaps even BETTER than TDK.

Last edited:
Wait. Star Wars fell flat with ROTJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"