• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain Marvel or Shazam?

lonewriter

Civilian
Reaction score
Which do you prefer, the old name of Captain Marvel or his new name of Shazam? I prefer Captain Marvel since that's what I've always known him as plus saying Shazam changes Billy Bateson into the worlds mightiest mortal. Also, why doesn't he have his own comic instead of having a few pages in the back of Justice League. Captain Marvel has always been a favorite of mine. I'm even writing a fan fiction where he comes to Metropolis and meets Superman (it's set in Smallville season 11, another great comic)

I grew up reading Captain Marvel with Shazam as the wizard that grants him the power of thunder. However I don't mind the whole Shazam thing cause one thing I did like about Winnick's mostly misguided Marvel story was that Billy got all of the wizards power. This is basically what is happening here but now the superhero is called Shazam and that's OK cause it streamlines it a bit more for newbies I think.

Shazam, personally. Like Cain says it streamlines it for new readers. Plus some people already think his name is Shazam so it's easier (I honestly did at first before I got more into comics).

I prefer Shazam. And apparently he's getting his own title next year.

I prefer Shazam, simply because when I think of Captain Marvel, I think of the Marvel version(s) first.

I prefer Captain Marvel but Shazam helps the character be more easily marketed, though it's a little late now since it's been a long time since the characters popularity, had they done it decades sooner maybe the character would be more popular

I prefer SHAZAM! It's cooler in my opinion and it works without having confusion, especially now that Carol Danvers is actively Captain Marvel in the other universe.

With the new take on the character I think he'd be perfect for a live action show along the lines of Arrow.

My idea is here.

I don't mind Shazam because it kinda makes sense for Billy to take the name of the Wizard when he transforms because he kinda becomes the wizard...kinda. But it's not a superhero name it the normal name of the wizard. Captain Marvel is a title.

Funny, i was watching Spiderman the other day and Peter when he tries different jestures in order to make the web come out, he yells Shazam.

Ah the 90's and early 2000's. Nowadays if you reference Marvel in a DC movie and vice versa prepare to get sued !

I don't mind Shazam because it kinda makes sense for Billy to take the name of the Wizard when he transforms because he kinda becomes the wizard...kinda. But it's not a superhero name it the normal name of the wizard. Captain Marvel is a title.

Funny, i was watching Spiderman the other day and Peter when he tries different jestures in order to make the web come out, he yells Shazam.

Ah the 90's and early 2000's. Nowadays if you reference Marvel in a DC movie and vice versa prepare to get sued !

Super Friends was mentioned in Iron Man 3. :yay:

Oh and I prefer Shazam. I do generally think of the deceased Marvel character when the name Captain Marvel comes up.

I'm more kind towards Captain Marvel......But Shazam makes more sense, if you think about it.....Why would a 5000 year-old Egyptian Wizard give someone the title of "Captain" , a word that is French in origin.....???

I like both but tbh I think Shazam akes more sense seen as though that's what the title if the books always has been (I think).

I'm more kind towards Captain Marvel......But Shazam makes more sense, if you think about it.....Why would a 5000 year-old Egyptian Wizard give someone the title of "Captain" , a word that is French in origin.....???

Well, he gave Billy the title in modern times, and the wizard has apparently been keeping up with certain things. I prefer Captain Marvel, but renaming him makes it easier. For one, it leaves Freddy to be called Captain Marvel. The Marvel family has a bad history of continuity and copyright problems.

From what I understand he can say his own name now, he only changes if he says it with the intent to transform.

Last edited:
The guys who actually created Billy Batson named him Captain Marvel so that's what I'm gonna stick with.

Well, he gave Billy the title in modern times, and the wizard has apparently been keeping up with certain things. I prefer Captain Marvel, but renaming him makes it easier. For one, it leaves Freddy to be called Captain Marvel. The Marvel family has a bad history of continuity and copyright problems.

From what I understand he can say his own name now, he only changes if he says it with the intent to transform.[/QUOTE]

I like that new aspect.

The guys who actually created Billy Batson named him Captain Marvel so that's what I'm gonna stick with.

Bob Kane wanted Bruce Wayne's alter ego to be Bird-Man. Creators don't always have the best ideas.

But I do prefer Captain Marvel.

FYI, a different artist named him Captain Marvelous since his original name of Captain Thunder couldn't be used per trademark. Fawcett editors (or an editor) shortened it to Captain Marvel.

Last edited:
I prefer SHAZAM! It's cooler in my opinion and it works without having confusion, especially now that Carol Danvers is actively Captain Marvel in the other universe.

With the new take on the character I think he'd be perfect for a live action show along the lines of Arrow.

My idea is here.

I love your idea, I did watch Smallville and loved it (I own every season on DVD) but I lost interest in Arrow. I'd love to see a Shazam TV series.

I remember that show when I was a kid, I meant a modern one like Smallville.

When I was a kid I called him 'shazam' before I knew about the whole legal saga. It's a little odd now, but I guess it's legally the best they can do. BTW, pick up the back issues/TPBs of the Jerry Ordway series, it's worth it.

I will never ever call Captain Marvel "SHAZAM"! I love Carol Danvers as a character, but I let's face it, Marvel is just using the name for legal copyright purposes (how many characters have they used to that end?). She will never really be Captain Marvel. I prefer her as Warbird or even Ms. Marvel. Bad enough Cap's new costume design sucks, but they went and took his name away too.....talk about adding insult to injury. I will always love this character and he will ALWAYS be Captain Marvel; not SHAZAM!
images

"Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet."

Mark Twain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"