Cast a Game of Thrones Prequel

Rowsdower!

Avenger
Reaction score
So we know that the series is ending a lot sooner than everyone was expecting. I've heard rumors of a potential prequel show about Robert's rebellion, though supposedly, GRRM is against it. I've also heard a lot of people say they want a "Dunk and Egg" series. I don't know anything about those stories other than that would be a great name for a coffee shop that sells donuts and breakfast sandwiches.

Anyway, if either series (or both) happens, I thought it might be fun to do some fancasting. I know GOT doesn't typically go after big names (or "names", period) but what the hell. They did kick the Face of Boe to the curb for Max Von Sydow, so you know.

I think the main reason I want to see this happen now is because they've already nailed the casting of Arthur Dayne with Luke Roberts, who is awesome on Black Sails and was great in the Tower of Joy scene in GOT. They also did well with young Ned. So who else would you go with for Robert, Jaime, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Aerys, etc?

I realize some of these roles may have already been cast, but we don't know for sure yet. I do think a limited prequel series is a huge possibility, since everyone loves limited series these days and prequels can work as long as George Lucas has nothing to do with them.

So we know that the series is ending a lot sooner than everyone was expecting. I've heard rumors of a potential prequel show about Robert's rebellion, though supposedly, GRRM is against it. I've also heard a lot of people say they want a "Dunk and Egg" series. I don't know anything about those stories other than that would be a great name for a coffee shop that sells donuts and breakfast sandwiches.

Anyway, if either series (or both) happens, I thought it might be fun to do some fancasting. I know GOT doesn't typically go after big names (or "names", period) but what the hell. They did kick the Face of Boe to the curb for Max Von Sydow, so you know.

I think the main reason I want to see this happen now is because they've already nailed the casting of Arthur Dayne with Luke Roberts, who is awesome on Black Sails and was great in the Tower of Joy scene in GOT. They also did well with young Ned. So who else would you go with for Robert, Jaime, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Aerys, etc?

I realize some of these roles may have already been cast, but we don't know for sure yet. I do think a limited prequel series is a huge possibility, since everyone loves limited series these days and prequels can work as long as George Lucas has nothing to do with them.

It's set 90 years before the main storyline of the books, and features the adventures of Dunk, a hedge knight who historically goes on to become the greatest Lord Commander of the Kingsguard "Ser Duncan the Tall" and his squire "Egg" who is in fact prince Aegon Targaryen who is the younger brother of Maester Aemon and who would end up becoming King of Westeros, grandfather to the Mad King Aerys, Steffon Baratheon (Robert, Stannis and Renly's father) and great-grandfather of Dany. It also features a major character from the current story, someone tied into Bran's arc.

Eddard Stark/Nathan Phillips
505011454-nbcuniversal-press-tour-january-2016-syfy-gettyimages.jpg

Robert Barratheon/Robery Kazinsky
471762994-actor-rob-kazinsky-arrives-at-the-premiere-gettyimages.jpg

Aerys Targaryan II/Jason Isaacs
latest

Rhaegar Targaryan/Sam Claflin
1387403406_sam-clafin-lg.jpg

Tywin Lannister/Alan Tudyk
280full.jpg

Good casting ideas! Only one I'm not sure of is Tudyk. He looks like Charles Dance but I doubt he could match his intensity.

Some other ideas...

Lyanna Stark: Sarah Bolger
Aerys Targaryen: Bill Nighy
Jaime Lannister: Torrance Coombs
Cersei Lannister: Tuppence Middleton
Tywin Lannister: Colm Feore
Jon Arryn: David Morrissey

I agree!! I am craziest fan of the game of thrones series ever since one of my friends suggested me to buy this game from Instant-gaming along with CD keys. I totally agree, the series nailed the casting of Arthur Dayne with Luke.

If we are going to see a prequel, I really don't want Robert's Rebellion. We more or less know all there is to know about it. There is no real sense of suspense there.

What I would love to see is a story with the broad strokes painted, but also vaguely enough that the writers could have some fun filling in the details, which would keep the viewers in suspense. I think the perfect prequel time period is the Faith Militant Uprising and the reign of Maegor the Cruel (played by Tom Hardy preferably).

If HBO really wants to drag this out and fill their pockets, they could do this as an anthology. First series could be Robert's Rebellion, next one could be Maegor the Cruel, next could be Dunk and Egg, etc.

I like the idea of an anthology that traces the Targaryen Dynasty and Westeros throughout the ages. Plus I think it would be easier to get some bigger actors to commit to these roles if its only a 10 episode gig as opposed to a commitment to stay on for 6 or 7 seasons.

But I think the best thing to do would be, rather than work backward, work forward. Start with Aegon conquering the seven kingdoms. Then season two could be his the reign of his sons/the war against the Faith Militant/Maegor's rule. Season three could focus on the Dance of Dragons. Four could be the Conquest of Dorne. Five and six could document the various Blackfyre rebellions/the War of the Ninepenny King. Then seven could be Robert's Rebellion.

I like the idea of Robert's Rebellion coming last, because I feel if you do that story too close to the ending of AGOT, the writers wouldn't be able to help filling it with fan service like needless Tyrion cameos and what not. Kind of like the Star Wars prequels. I think if you wait until the end for Robert's Rebellion and let some of the fire of AGOT extinguish and for this become its own thing there would be less temptation to do so.

The only downside of an anthology is that the format would have to be very different. For example, Maegor's rule and war with the Faith Militant was about 4 or 5 years long. And none of that accounts for his time as Hand of the King, his mother usurping power from his nephew, the war with his nephew, etc. So the writers would either have to give us very small snippets into these characters' stories or change the format of the show to make it more akin to the Reelz minseries The Kennedys, in which episodes can span the course of years or there are two year gaps between episodes. But I feel like that would limit the opportunity to really develop the characters.

I like it, though it may be a little too ambitious. I think a prequel anthology series would go 5 seasons, tops. Maybe only 3 or 4. I know GoT is really popular but I imagine they'll lose at least some viewers once the main series is over. I'm sure viewership will remain strong if the prequel series is good but if they let it go on for too long they could see an even bigger drop-off.

But I agree that they should avoid stupid cameos by Tyrion and other characters from the original series; that's Star Wars prequel/Hobbit trilogy territory and no one wants that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"