• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sequels Changing the roster for Avengers 2?

I like that idea. Primarily because it means many Avengers movies. But its a minimalist ideal when you think about it. They should really be striving to keep our main cast as long as possible (short of keeping them around with grey hair). The core four should hold out for at least a trilogy of Avengers and MCU phases.

Plus an Avengers without Iron Man/Hulk/Thor, while possible, seems to me... somewhat dull. Personal opinion of course.

“[The injury] got me thinking about how big the message from your cosmic sponsor needs to be before you pick it up. How many genre movies can I do? How many follow-ups to a successful follow-up are actually fun? ... It’s not unlike: I heard Brady signed on for three more years with New England, and then he’s done being a QB, because he’ll be 40. I’m 47, and I’ll be 50.”

http://screenrant.com/robert-downey-jr-iron-man-retiring-avengers-2/

So. This is a great example of what we've been talking about. And yeah, yeah. I know it doesn't mean much. I hear people say it all the time, "if Marvel wants RDJ they'll keep RDJ" they'll give him whatever he wants and more. And other people say "RDJ will never give up Tony Stark. It's his baby and he loves it" sure sure fine. But the fact is, we as fans need to decide what we need from the MCU.

Do we need RDJ as Stark in the MCU? Or do we need Tony Stark in the MCU with or without RDJ?

It may seem trivial to ask these questions. But in a film series that is on its way to being 12 movies and counting, I think it's worth pondering what will keep us entertained, for how long it will keep us entertained, and what is essentially at the heart of that entertainment?

In my opinion, Robert Downey Jr. has done so much for this series, but if he is done after Avengers 2, I won't lose the slightest amount of hope or loyalty. By phase 3, it will be time to take the focus off of Stark. He was kind of the star of phase 1 (if you didn't notice) he was in 4/6 of the phase 1 films and his father was a big part of another. Phase 2 on the other hand, his shine will likely be dimmed a bit to allow the other characters to shine brighter. By phase 3, they can continue in this direction. And if they recast him, but put the focus on Iron Man instead of Tony Stark, I'd be totally fine with that.

i want Tony Stark to be around in the marvel cinematic universe. but i truly doubt the ability of any actor to recreate, match, or outdo Robert Downey jr's performance as Stark.

I like that idea. Primarily because it means many Avengers movies. But its a minimalist ideal when you think about it. They should really be striving to keep our main cast as long as possible (short of keeping them around with grey hair). The core four should hold out for at least a trilogy of Avengers and MCU phases.

Plus an Avengers without Iron Man/Hulk/Thor, while possible, seems to me... somewhat dull. Personal opinion of course.
I think (or hope anyway) that they could build up enough excitement around other Avengers that would equal the excitement around Iron Man/Hulk/Thor and Captain America. Once these actors leave the parts others could take over. Thats another reason for the staggered rotating roster. So that when Thor leaves the show, and when Iron Man leaves, and when Cap leaves, people wont feel like they are being forced into liking the new guys taking over. If characters are introduced while the cast is still there its less forced. If Ant Man is brought in in Avengers 2, then by the time everyone is gone in Avengers 4 and only he and Wasp remain the audience has already gotten to know him enough to see him as part of the team and not necessarily taking over for Captain America or the rest. Sort of like on Law and Order, Detectives would come and go, new ones would become the partners of the older ones who had been there longer. But then the older ones would leave and the younger ones would become the new older ones and get newer partners. The Lawyers would get new assistant/partners all the time. The cast would rotate and change and the franchise was kept alive for many many years. They could do something similar.
I think given the right actors/plots/dialogue, characters like She-Hulk, Captain Marvel/Carol, Luke Cage, Falcon, Black Panther, Vision, Wonder Man, Bucky/Cap, could all become big fan favorites.
(Also many of them would get their own solo films, and others would be introduced in previously established fan favorite characters like Bucky and Falcon in Captain America 2. Plus some could be introduced in 15 minute shorts before each Marvel film.)
But I do agree that there is a risk of audiences not connecting to the newer characters the same way.

My idea is a very basic blue print. I reasoned that an actor like Chris Evans probably wont want to become known for just Captain America, and once he has fulfilled his contract of doing 3 Avengers films, 3 solo Captain America films, and 3 cameos in other Marvel films, he would leave the role. Downey Jr. is already ready to leave Tony Stark behind, not sure if he will do 2 more Avengers films but probably will. And I am guessing most of the actors would do the same. That means by Avengers 4 would would have an entirely new cast of characters, unless some of them stuck around. Or maybe Marvel could save the contracted cameos for Avengers 4 so that Stark or Thor or Cap could pop up in Avenges 4 for a little.
but the basic idea of my... idea, is that to keep the crowds interested we slowly introduce new characters into the background of the Avengers and rotate them to the front when the originals leave the movie. Only when needed, if Thor plans to stay there is no reason to kick him out. But still bring in other Avengers like Namor or Valkyrie, or Giant Man and Spider-Woman. I am not saying my idea is perfect, really its just me trying to build the franchise I want the Avengers to be so that I could see other Avengers like Ant Man, Wasp, Yellow Jacket, Beast, Namor, Black Panther, Hercules, Wonder Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage, Mockingbird, War Machine, etc, as Avengers, and not wanting the Avengers to end or relaunch after Avengers 3.
Avengers_%28Earth-616%29,_New_Avengers_%28Earth-616%29,_Secret_Avengers_%28Black_Ops_Unit%29_%28Earth-616%29,_Fantastic_Four_%28Earth-616%29_and_Maria_Hill_%28Earth-616%29.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at a place where I don't want to think much about a different set of Avengers. I'm even somewhat skeptical to adding original Avengers to the roster becuase a movie can't do too many characters justice, but mainly I don't want to see an Avengers movie without the four big characters that currently are in it.

I'd have to be far more saturated with these characters before I think about others and the pace towards that is far slower than it would ever be in normal comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"