Chiwetel Ejiofor IS Baron Mordo

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
doctor-strange-logo-600x337.jpg

According to Deadline, Chiwetel Ejiofor will suit up as Baron Mordo in Marvel's Doctor Strange in 2016. Interestingly they state that Mordo will also be an amalgamation of some other characters from Strange's world.

Although he’s an enemy in the comics, don’t look for him to be necessarily a completely villainous character. Rather, he’s an amalgamation of characters culled from Doctor Strange‘s mythology. His isn’t the first change-up in the film; Swinton’s The Ancient One character is another, as the movie has gender-swapped the Tibetan male sorcerer from the comics. Both Strange and Mordo were mentored by The Ancient One, but Mordo tried to kill his teacher.

Scripted by Jon Spaihts, the film follows the story of the brilliant and arrogant neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who learns after a horrific car accident that his hands don’t hold the key to his powers. Instead, he discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions. Disney has set the film for release on November 4, 2016.

Deadline

Last edited:
Intriguing. Amalgamation, huh? Perhaps this version of Mordo actually transforms into Dormammu rather than serving him. Cool casting choice regardless.

YESSSSSSSSSS. This is gorgeous casting. Chiwetel is underrated as ****. Love him.

Interesting casting Can't wait to see what he brings to the table

Excellent choice. Think about the cast so far... Cumberbatch, Swinton and now Chiwetel. The cast is totally amazing so far. Now... on to Wong!

Hiddleston's going to be happy his buddy Chiwetel is in the MCU.

For as much as I fancasted him as Blade, I'm willing to accept this since I know he'll be awesome as the villain. I also don't have as much of a problem with this since Baron Mordo's heritage was never as important as The Ancient One's but I get why Marvel decided to change TAO since they have Iron Fist coming up and they wanted to eliminate the similarities between the properties.

I guess at this point, David Oyelowo is the only proper choice for Blade.

And Donnie Yen should be Wong. He's not just a butler. He's also a deadly combatant skilled in the art of Kamar-Taj. Strange is a powerhouse but he's weak when cornered. Wong is the guy he calls on in a one on one fight.

I was hoping he would be Drumm, but Mordo is undoubtedly a larger role (if Drumm is even in this), so great news.

he should be dr. strange. But whatever, glad he's in one of these movies. Hopefully its a well written role.

He's not Black Panther, but close enough.

I had a feeling that if he had been cast that Ejiofor would be playing Mordo. But yeah, its a pretty cool choice. I really like that they seem to be thinking outside of the box in regards to casting.

Its probably too obvious, but since it was mentioned that MCU Mordo would be an amalgam of other characters, I wonder if they combining him with Brother Voodoo? Might explain where the idea to cast a black actor came from.

That'd be a pretty strange combo. Not that they haven't done some very different things in the MCU, of course. I'd prefer they use Voodoo as a separate heroic magic user down the line. There's a pretty cool group of characters they could use to flesh out the magic stuff (Hellstrom being another I wouldn't mind seeing down the line).

nice. not sure about the amalgamation stuff, but I guess it will be a mixture with either Drumm or Wong.
otoh, I remember a Dr. Strange comic from the 80s, the one where Strange officially got the title Sorcerer Supreme and helped Doom to regain the soul of his mother (no idea what it was called, it has been a long time since I read it) however, there were a lot of magic users competing for the title of SS and I guess some of them might have a bit larger roles in the overall Strange or Marvel lore of that time. wasn't there one who always used the 'Mojo Lance' or whatever it was called?

I haven't read that comic, but I can tell you all about my Mojo Lan- *gets dragged off and whipped by an angry mod*

I was hoping for Mikkelson, but I support this casting. It will be interesting to see just how their interpretation of the character turns out. Now lets moe along and get Wong cast!

I was hoping for Mikkelson, but I support this casting. It will be interesting to see just how their interpretation of the character turns out. Now lets moe along and get Wong cast!

Bah! Anime Doctor Strange is too old for that moe crap!

dr_strange_59189.jpg

:p

Here's to hoping for a good Wong casting, though. So much potential there if they do it right. They've certainly done a good job on Strange and Mordo.

Ugh, Goddammit. I wanted him for Black Manta.

He's not Black Panther, but close enough.

I thought he might have made an awesome Erik Killmonger.

Dr. Strange really doesn't want to cast Asian actors, do they? ;)

More seriously, he's a great actor. Any time you add a great actor, it's a great choice. I'm curious who he will be combined with.

I'm still leaning toward Dormammu myself, though it could be something as simple as merging him with one of Strange's colleagues from his days as a surgeon. Hell, maybe Mordo holds a grudge with Strange because he was such a prick back then, ala Killian (who was sorta kinda merged with the Mandarin and, to a lesser extent, Mallen) in Iron Man 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"