• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Cinematic Universes

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
This seems to be the new craze in Hollywood, so, let's talk about it, let's talk about upcoming ones and others that would work...or not.
First of all, what is the difference from movie series and a cinematic universe?

In my understanding, they are easy to differentiate.
A movie series goes up and down, forwards and backwards, sequel and prequel; a cinematic universe also goes in those directions, but what makes it different is that it goes sideways, meaning there are other characters and adventures in that same space.

So far we have:

Marvel Cinematic Universe
Not the first cinematic universe, but the one that that started the craze.
14 movies released, 3 to be released this year and a bunch of others in the making.
Going strong.

DC Extended Universe
Trying too hard to be Marvel and failing.
3 movies released, all a disappointment.
2 movies to be released this year
Has tons of potential, but so far....weak, to say the least.

Star Wars
It went from just a series to a cinematic universe the moment Rogue One was announced.
Lots of potential.
Han Solo movie in the making, and there is another "anthology" movie to be released in 2020.

Monsterverse
The newest one, with Godzilla (2014) as the starting point.
Just released was Kong: Skull Island.
2 more movies in the making, Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019) and Godzilla vs. Kong (2020).
No one knows if there will be more after that....Pacific Rim or/and Gamera anyone?

TO START THIS YEAR

Universal Monsters
The original cinematic universe.
First movie will be released on June 9, The Mummy, featuring Tom Cruise.
Will be the first movie because Dracula Untold is not going to be part of the universe's continuity canon, said so by Alex Kurtzman, which means that a new Dracula is going to be made.
There are 8 movies already in the making in the likes of the Invisible Man, Wolf Man, Van Helsing, Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Bride of Frankenstein, and 2 others unannounced.
There are already great actors cast for iconic roles:
> Russell Crowe as Dr. Henry Jekyll
> Javier Bardem as Frankenstein's monster
> Johnny Depp as The Invisible Man

Russell Crowe will appear in The Mummy as Dr. Jekyll.

King Arthur
Guy Ritchie is to direct 6 movies about the Knights of the Round Table. The first, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, to be released May 12.
Is not set in stone if this is going to be a cinematic universe, since there are talks to make origin movie to the most important characters; but there are also talks about making it a series.
Time will tell....

Transformers
I have no idea how this will turn out since the original movies were not thought out to be an universe.
But it seems Paramount wants to do it.
For what i could gather, there are reports of 10 movies for the next 12 years, and the universe to begin with The Last Knight.
A Bumble Bee origin/solo movie seems to be set for 2018, after that, it seems there are solo projects and even a supposed trip to Cybertron.

IN DEVELOPMENT

21st Jump Street
You heard it right, it seems that 21st is going the cinematic universe route.
Columbia Pictures just green lit two more sequels, a female-oriented entry and
a Jump Street/Men In Black crossover.
MIB and JS will share the same universe....for some reason.

Valiant Comics
Another superhero universe.
Sony bought the rights to 5 Valiant Comic properties and will lead off with Bloodshot, about a shape shifting former soldier with healing abilities.
Personally, i don't know anything about Valiant Comic characters, just a name here and there, like Shadowman and X-O Manowar.

Robin Hood
This one sounds really weird.
Sony is going to do it.
"The plan is to make a series of movies focusing on the outlaw archer and his band of Merry Men: Little John, Friar Tuck, and Will Scarlett. One could say they were the superhero team of England’s Middle Ages,"

Hanna-Barbera
Warner Bros is behind it, and will start with S.C.O.O.B, a reboot of Scooby-Doo. It's slated for 2018.
It seems that they will want to integrate all of the iconic creations, from Yogi Bear and The Flintstones to The Jetsons and Johnny Quest.
It seems it's going to be animated, so, no live-action for this one.

Hasbro
Paramount Pictures is behind it.
From what i could gather, Micronauts and Rom, M.A.S.K. and Visionaries, all are in the making.
But there will be no ties to Transformers, which will be it's own thing.

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL PICTURES
This might be the most insane of them all.
Jeff Katz, producer of Snakes on a Plane, was hired to script ten interconnected remakes of AIP movies.
Who are AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL PICTURES?
AIP were a film production company former in the 50s, dedicated to release independently produced, low-budget films, cheesy horror b-movies.
She-Creature, Teenage Caveman, Viking Woman And The Sea Serpent, The Brain Eaters, Invasion of the Saucer Men, Attack of the Crab Monsters....those were just a few of the hundreds of movies released.
And now they want to make a universe out of it....

Last edited:
To me, a cinematic universe is a bunch of films that intertwine and lead up to one or more films that are a culmination of everything that came before it. MCU has The Avengers, DCEU has Justice League, Legendary Monsterverse has King Kong vs. Godzilla, etc.

I don't consider the Star Wars movies to be a cinematic universe. You have the main series and then a series of spinoff films but they're not really leading up to one particular event. You could say the same for the upcoming Transformers spinoffs.

As for the others that have yet to come out or go into production, the only one that has potential to me is the Universal Monsterverse. The rest of them seemed doomed to fail. Nobody will give a **** about a King Arthur or Robin Hood shared universe.

For the life of me I can't understand why Dracula Untold hasn't been included, it was originally to be the starting point, hell, the end of the film, clearly opens up the entire universe, and whilst not a 'classic' it's a very strong effort to springboard from and Charles Dance literally chews every scene he's in, its a decent 7/10 film and I think it's a waste of a chance not to include it as part of that universe, particularly as The Mummy re-boot will fall on it's arse.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that most of these "cinematic universes" never see the light of day. Still LOLing over the proposed Robin Hood shared universe.

TUCK: THE FIRST FRIAR. Can't wait.

Last edited:
First of all, what is the difference from movie series and a cinematic universe?

In my understanding, they are easy to differentiate.
A movie series goes up and down, forwards and backwards, sequel and prequel; a cinematic universe also goes in those directions, but what makes it different is that it goes sideways, meaning there are other characters and adventures in that same space.
To me, a cinematic universe is a bunch of films that intertwine and lead up to one or more films that are a culmination of everything that came before it
50c46dda5a041969ef134e22a8519f41.gif

Forgot These?

For the life of me I can't understand why Dracula Untold hasn't been included, it was originally to be the starting point, hell, the end of the film, clearly opens up the entire universe, and whilst not a 'classic' it's a very strong effort to springboard from and Charles Dance literally chews every scene he's in, its a decent 7/10 film and I think it's a waste of a chance not to include it as part of that universe, particularly as The Mummy re-boot will fall on it's arse.
Seconded.

Man...I wish Sony wasn't the one to adapt Valiant.

Oh and Pacific Rim being absorbed into the Monster-verse seems unlikely.

So far Marvel Studios is the most consistent, but I have a soft spot for the X-universe, since I enjoy its best films more. I also think Monsterverse is off to a solid start, albeit I wonder where they have to go after Godzilla vs. Kong. Everything following it runs the risk of seeming downhill.

Star Wars has the potential to be the best. Not only is it starting from arguably the greatest trilogy in cinema history, with two of the best movies ever contained within it, the policy of seeming to keep it one-a-year and making standalone movies (there will definitely be no Rogue One sequel) is appealing. You don't run the risk of it turning into a blur like MCU is starting to appear to the non-hardcore fans. It also lets each film be its own thing.

While Universal Monsters started the concept in cinema in the 1930s and specifically the '40s when the crossovers came in, I am not sure Universal has the right idea about reinventing them in the 21st century. They should be medium budget horror movies with great thrills. Making them massive budgeted action movies will likely end in disaster and disappointment, just as Van Helsing and Dracula Untold already have done.

The rest, including DC, is so desperately chasing Marvel Studios fumes that it may not end very well for them. Time will tell.

50c46dda5a041969ef134e22a8519f41.gif

Forgot These?
Fast and the Furious is still a singular film series. And technically the View Askewniverse did culminate with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back which brought together a bunch of characters from the previous films, even if they were only characters.

Fast and the Furious is still a singular film series. And technically the View Askewniverse did culminate with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back which brought together a bunch of characters from the previous films, even if they were only characters.

I had a puzzled look when FnF officially announced they'd be doing a cinematic universe, since the franchise practically ticked off all the boxes, even if as someone somewhere outside SHH described it as they stumbled onto it rather than something planned. Either way, that was my introduction to the modern formula.

Willing to bet that most of these will never see the light of day. Still LOLing over the proposed Robin Hood shared universe.

TUCK: THE FIRST FRIAR. Can't wait.

Will Scarlett: You know, that guy. No, the other guy. No, the smaller one. No, the taller than that. No, that's a chick. Right, that's him.

COMING 2021

Will Scarlett: You know, that guy. No, the other guy. No, the smaller one. No, the taller than that. No, that's a chick. Right, that's him.

COMING 2021
Seriously. Stupid as all hell. :funny:

There was going to be a Ghostbusters and Terminator universes, but i guess that both were canceled.

What are the chances that Disney will start a cinematic universe with their Disney Princess adaptations? Cinderella, now BatB, soon to be Mulan, Aladdin, and Little Mermaid. They could easily bring them all together for one big Disney Princess movie.

What are the chances that Disney will start a cinematic universe with their Disney Princess adaptations? Cinderella, now BatB, soon to be Mulan, Aladdin, and Little Mermaid. They could easily bring them all together for one big Disney Princess movie.
I am hoping for a Kingdom Hearts-type situation at some point.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot M Night. getting in on that action or not really...depends on Blumhouse I bet.

Alien and Predator had potential and could've been great but the filmmakers royally screwed that up ever since the first AvP movie.

Alien and Predator had potential and could've been great but the filmmakers royally screwed that up ever since the first AvP movie.
This...killed me. Cameron and Ridley were working together on a new Alien movie and suddenly Fox gives Paul W.S. Anderson the reigns to 2 of their best sci fi franchises...

...worst...decision....EVAR!!!

The directing team behind Resolution, one of the best Horror films of the decade, have a new film coming out called The Endless, and according to imdb, a side character from Resolution will play a larger role in The Endless. I know that this may not be the most blockbuster of cinematic universes...but I have total faith that The Endless will be one of the best movies of 2017.

This team also did the fantastic Lovecraft-inspired dark fantasy love story, Spring...though that film currently does not appear to be "in universe." I would love it if they worked it in though.

I'm all for a Cthulhu cinematic universe.
Don't know how that would work, but it would kick major ass.

Cthulhu, the Lovecraftien God Kaiju everywhere have nightmares about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"