Clive Barker

tzarinna

Mamochka
Reaction score
I discovered Clive after I exhausted the libraries collection of Stephen King books. I was still starving for horror and when I saw the cover of a Clive Barker book with the quote from King, "I have seen the future of horror and its name is Clive Barker". I thought, my god now that is saying something. I think I wet myself. Don't ask me what book cover that was, I used to get high a lot in those days, so I don't remember. :csad:

http://timewinds.com/clive/forum/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker
www.clivebarker.info
www.clivebarker.com

So, do you love Clive? What's your favorite book, art piece, play, and/or movie?

I'll wait.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that quote was from The Inhuman Condition by Clive Barker. I will probably start reading his work eventually. I'm reading a lot of King and I also want to get into some Matheson and Crichton.

Great writer, especially his earlier stuff (I suppose that goes for most writers). My favorite books are the Books of Blood-collections, Weaveworld, Imajica, The Great and Secret Show and Everville.

Speaking of early stuff there's seems to be a new collection coming out with stories Barker wrote some forty years ago.

Here's a review:

THE ADVENTURES OF MR. MAXMILLAN BACCHUS AND HIS TRAVELING CIRCUS by Clive Barker
Review by Dave Sims

The Wedding of Indigo Murphy To The Duke Lorenzo De Medici and how Angelo was discovered in an orchard. The Face Of The Flying Lion Fish And Why Doctor Jozabiah Bentham’s Theatre of Tears sailed north. How The Clown Domingo De Ybarrondo Fell Over the edge of the world. How Mr. Maxmillan Bacchus’ Traveling Circus Reached Cathay And Entertained The Court of the Khan Called Kublai in Xanadu, How They Sought The Bearded Bird, and how, at last, Angelo was lost.

No, the lines above aren’t culled from supermarket tabloids and if so, aren’t the entire article. If each wacky, way long line doesn’t spin your head faster than Linda Blair’s, you’ll realize they’re simply the titles of Clive Barker’s stories in his latest, but earliest collection of a complete mind-screw literary fest. Written over forty years ago, these interlocking stories chronicle a circus that trivializes the imagination of P.T. Barnum. Maxmillan Bacchus has assembled a traveling troupe led by a giant bird, populated by such odd characters as a crocodile, orangutan, apple thief, and trapeze girl, they find themselves on a quartet of adventures onto the road to perform for the Kublai Khan. Strange creatures abound, such as the horrific trolls which live on the flip side of the earth (of course it’s flat in Barker’s mind) and those in Bacchus’ rival circus.

Those familiar with the author’s work will notice that even this earliest collection contains visions of a mind most beautifully disturbed, displaying flickers of images that will find their way into Imagica, The Great And Secret Show, and Everville. The illustrations fill the mind’s eye with whatever the imagination doesn’t. Comparisons to other authors would only fall short here, but for those uninitiated, try to picture if Barnum’s show mixed with Roald Dahl with a soundtrack by Pink Floyd but performed by Alice Cooper.

And you can buy it here: http://www.badmoonbooks.com/product.php?productid=1094&cat=12&page=1

I was only thinking yesterday that there isn't a Barker thread, and I was wondering why TZ hadn't made one yet :D

Books of Blood and Weaveworld are my favourites... I also enjoyed Cold Heart Canyon and The Damnation Game.

I've been off my game for a bit, I'll get regular some day soon. :O

Good idea, I'll get more reading done on the toilet.

I discovered Clive after I exhausted the libraries collection of Stephen King books. I was still starving for horror and when I saw the cover of a Clive Barker book with the quote from King, "I have seen the future of horror and its name is Clive Barker". I thought, my god now that is saying something. I think I wet myself. Don't ask me what book cover that was, I used to get high a lot in those days, so I don't remember. :csad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker
www.clivebarker.info
www.clivebarker.com

So, do you love Clive? What's your favorite book, art piece, play, and/or movie?

I'll wait.

I love Clive Barker Body politic, Cabal, and Age of Desire are hilarious. He also keeps his work trim and well-paced with very detailed sex scenes.

VERY detailed sex scenes. I remember the description of the sex scene in Cabal, in the jail house - sweet Jesus that was graphic.

Even though I didn't really care for Coldheart Canyon there was one sex scene I will never forget. I'd describe it, but I might get banned. :meow:

Clive will be doing a writing seminar, also Doug Bradley and Tony Todd will be there at Fangoria's convention in L.A. in April.

http://www.creationent.com/cal/fangocon/fangola.asp
Saturday, April 18th

CLIVE BARKER
Creator: HELLRAISER, CANDYMAN, NIGHTBREED, MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN and LORD OF ILLUSIONS; novels: WEAVEWORLD, THE GREAT AND SECRET SHOW, IMAJICA, ABARAT and MISTER B. GONE; latest movies: DREAD and BOOK OF BLOOD. Clive will be conducting his "Writing Horror" seminar on Saturday (Separate Admission Required) On-Stage Saturday It's $99 for the seminar. It's from 1-3.

Hmmm....all this sex talk.

Last edited:
Yeah.

Is it the sex scene where he's walking through the grounds of the house and all the ghosts are humping each other and asking him to join? There's a few in that book though.

Horror/erotica pie.

VERY detailed sex scenes. I remember the description of the sex scene in Cabal, in the jail house - sweet Jesus that was graphic.

Yeah, I remember reading that and thinking, GODDAMN!!!

To say nothing of his description of a cenobite in THe Hellbound Heart (the novella Hellraiser is based on), that was described as being silvery-skinned, completely nude, and adorned with multiple piercings in her vagina. I would loved to see that on film!

O I bet you would, laddy.

Yeah.

Is it the sex scene where he's walking through the grounds of the house and all the ghosts are humping each other and asking him to join? There's a few in that book though.

Horror/erotica pie.

Yeah, buddy. :meow:

Some update on Abarat 3 from Comic-Con:

"I've just delivered Abarat 3 to my publishers. I have about 100 of the oil paintings done of the 120 which will go into the book, so I owe them 20 pictures. The book is longer than the first two, it's about 120,000 words and it's called Abarat 3 Absolute Midnight and it is the darkest - I mean, it's for the same audience that obviously read the first two books, but my God it's dark. You know it's written for an audience that starts age ten; I'd like to think it will be a ten year old's first horror book. I would love it if kids across the world - these books are in 42, 43 languages - and I would love it if kids were introduced to horror through the Abarat books. You know, Books 1 and 2 were kind of cool, sauntering along and then along comes Absolute Midnight and, my God, does it get dark and I like it. There's some very dark stuff going down and I've enjoyed writing it - it's the middle book of the 5 and it gets as bad as it's going to get."

I don't know if this will make any sense. But I am a fan of the the way Clive uses words. He has a kind of cool way of wordings things.

Coldheart Canyon was ok... not my fave.

I really wish he would go ahead and write that sequel to Galilee already. Or write something worthwhile... sheesh. I didn't care for his demon in a book, book. It bored me... and a Clive Barker book shouldn't bore me.

i love clive barker. the books of blood are my favorite horror stories ever. and of course, everyone loves hellraiser and candy man

Anyone heard any news on The Scarlet Gospels?

I can't wait for that and Abarat 3.

The Thief of Always is a great book.

Clive Barker Returns to Comics With Seduth
Source:IDW Publishing August 19, 2009

IDW Publishing is partnering with Clive Barker once again for a new comic book series entitled "Seduth."

The two schemed to present this title with vivid 3-D effects, as Barker is joined by the Eisner-nominated art team of Gabriel Rodriguez and Jay Fotos ("Locke & Key"), along with co-writer Chris Monfette and 3-D art expert Ray Zone.

In "Seduth," Barker tells the tale of celebrated architect Harold Engle, who first glimpses the small cloud of darkness inside a glittering, priceless diamond, without any knowledge of the terrible plague contained within. "Seduth" follows Engle on a surreal journey through murder and madness to the very heart of existence and a terrible, impossible choice-to unravel the very fabric of the world, or to save it?

This is the first time Barker has created a world specifically for the comic book medium in two decades. If you recall, he created a line of titles in the '90s such as "Saint Sinner" and "Hyperkind." IDW has previously presented adaptations of Barker's novels "The Thief of Always" and "The Great and Secret Show."

"Seduth" comes complete with 3-D glasses, as well as back-up material that includes Barker's original notes and sketches for the story.

About collaborating with Barker, the project's co-writer, Monfette says, "Clive came to me, quite literally, with nothing... which is to say that he wanted to create a piece about the essence of nihilism. Foolishly, I had expected a story-manageable, straightforward, perhaps a bit messy-and what I received was a five-dimensional jigsaw, the likes of which could only ever come from the mind of Clive Barker, my friend, whose head and heart, I believe, are one and the same."

Release date for Abarat 3:

"Hi to all. A lot of people asked for the release date of Abarat III. Today I was told it will be September of 2011. There are plans to do signings but we won't have them locked down for a while. As soon I have news, Phil and Sarah will carry it."
Twitter Posts
By Clive Barker, 29 July 2010

The only books I've read from Clive Barker is The Thief of Always, Age of Desire and the Hellbound Heart. Very good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"