• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Common Sense Wins One Battle!!

*Was hoping this thread was about Common winning a freestyle battle*

*clicks out*

Interesting that the complaint is that the prisoners will be forced to violate their religious beliefs by having to eat things that are forbidden to them by their religious practices. Didn't they kind of violate their religious beliefs by winding up in prison in the first place? :huh:
Haha, well see, they're trying to turn over a new leaf in prison now.

Interesting that the complaint is that the prisoners will be forced to violate their religious beliefs by having to eat things that are forbidden to them by their religious practices. Didn't they kind of violate their religious beliefs by winding up in prison in the first place? :huh:

I can understand the "one-size-fits-all" solution for absolutely everyone from a cost perspective alone let alone just being fair with all prisoners getting the same deal, though I also get the flip side where people of certain faiths are going to have to go against their beliefs just to be able to eat. I'm sure the lawsuits over this will go on for awhile. A lot of grey area in there to be sorted through on legal and ethical fronts. In the meantime, who wants a pork sandwich? 'Cuz that's all there is to eat, maggots! *clangs bars with nightstick* :cmad:

jag

Exactly!! If they cared about their "religious beliefs" so much, they never would have raped and murdered to get there. Now all of a sudden they want us to cater to them? all of sudden their religion is top priority? What a joke. All this is is a group of guys who have lost their "power" trying to some type of power back.

May I also point out... That it's really easy to judge people in prison when you've never had the need nor the opportunity to do something to wind up in jail. I'm not saying they deserve to be treated like kings, but having simple religious procedures accounted for is not going make there stay a lot better, I'm sure the food will be just as crappy.

Yes....you're right. I've never found it necessary to rape, murder or steal someone's hard earned belongings.

And if they are not being fed at all, then you can make the argument.

See, I view the purpose of prison to be to PUNISH. It should be someplace no one ever wants to go to because you will be made to work your ass off and eat food that doesn't taste all that great but will give you nourishment. It shouldn't be a glorified country club or dorm where prisoners get to work out all day, play X-Box, watch cable, read in the law library, play basketball and choose from an extensive gourmet menu that includes kosher and halal selections. They are being PUNISHED for doing bad things. Make the punishment strong enough and people will reform THEMSELVES. I guarantee it. Sure, offer them learning opportunities and a chance to get degrees, etc. But when they're not in class, make them work their asses off doing hard labor. I had to work MY way through college, they should have to, too. :)

jag

Dang Jag, you sound like a ...."gulp" :wow: A CONSERVATIVE!!!!

They've still got the vegan meal choice. They'll be alright.

Dang Jag, you sound like a ...."gulp" :wow: A CONSERVATIVE!!!!

There are certain issues I'm pretty damn conservative about, and there are others that I'm pretty damn liberal about. :independentthinkershrug*

jag

There are certain issues I'm pretty damn conservative about, and there are others that I'm pretty damn liberal about. :independentthinkershrug*

jag
"Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal!"

jag

Not thinking lockstep with the collective is nice isn't it?? :yay:

Hey Cellslim, how would you feel if Christian inmates weren't allowed to pray on Sundays? Let's say, maybe Catholics had to eat meat on Fridays, how would you react?

Hey Cellslim, how would you feel if Christian inmates weren't allowed to pray on Sundays? Let's say, maybe Catholics had to eat meat on Fridays, how would you react?

Guess what....

what ever the rules are in jail, those those are the rules!!! You got there by violating your said religion in the first place. :yay:

Anyway......no one can stop prayer. You can pray in your private thoughts. God does know what you're thinking.
icon14.gif

Isn't pork and other non-kosher/halal food kinda expensive and luxurious anyways? I'd think it would be an easier punishment if the only food was kosher. Have you ever been to an Orthodox Jew's house for a meal during Passover? It's ****ing torture.

Random executions would deter crime and would relieve our jail overcrowding issue...allow me to elaborate.

Assign every jail, regardless of size, a number and throw the number into a giant bowl. Every 6 months have some lucky game show contestant draw a number and which ever jail is associated with that number, you remove the guards, seal the place up and gas every living thing in it.

You've now opened up space for new inmates as well as sent a scary message to other ne'er-do-wells out there. Doesn't matter what you're in for, you just picked the wrong time to get tossed into the drunk tank.

If there's no appreciable decline in criminal activity, simply increase the frequency to every quarter or even every month. Sooner or later, you'll see improvement.

I doubt it would work. The only thing that would bring is a population count so low that China would laugh at us.

jag

Indeed. Anyone--and I mean ANYONE--who purely puts themself in one camp and goes to a side before they even hear the issue is a f**king idiot, plain and simple.

"Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal!"

Rock for President in '08! :woot:

Not thinking lockstep with the collective is nice isn't it?? :yay:

*wants to be snarky with a pot and kettle remark, but decides not to*

:oldrazz:

Guess what....

what ever the rules are in jail, those those are the rules!!! You got there by violated said religion in the first place. :yay:

Anyway......no one can stop prayer. You can pray in your private thoughts. God does know what you're thinking.
icon14.gif

First of all, your grammar is atrocious. Second, you get there by violating the local law. Nobody is going to go to jail for eating pork.

I've never been one to come and back up Slim, but even I have to point out everything wrong with that "what if" statement.

The Muslim and Jewish inmates are still allowed to pray. Hell, it's nearly impossible to stop them. As long as a Muslim can find East, he can pray in his cell, if need be. That comparison was just... off.

Also, the vegan and vegetarian meals are still available at the prison. Catholics wouldn't be forced to eat meat on Fridays. Hell, as is stands now, Muslims and Jews can choose those meals. Nobody is being forced to eat pork or violate kosher/halal traditions. They have options.

Memphis Slim, you're a moron. If we dehumanize inmates, if we just tell them how horrible and subhuman they are over and over again, should anyone be surprised when they commit the same crimes again as soon as they get out? It's people like you that keep our recidivism rate so high.

Also, you're a Colts fan. Shouldn't have expected coherent thought from a Colts fan.

separation of church and state penitentiary

the purpose of prison is to REFORM.

Well, we both know that in reality it's purpose is to BOTH punish and reform. It's not either/or. I think we've gone a little light on the punishment part in recent times, though. ;)

jag

Which is something those criminals lacked when they were kids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"