Compare and Contrast DC and Marvel Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTAS and JLA were cool. But X-Men TAS is probably my fave comic book cartoon from back in the day.

JL/JLU - dc
SSM - marvel
B:TAS -dc
spider-man and his amazing friends - marvel
batman beyond -dc
S:TAS - dc
spider-man 90's - marvel
xmen (2001) - marvel
teen titans - dc
woverine and the xmen -marvel

dc - 5
marvel - 5

its actually closer than I thought

I do, but that still doesn't change the fact it isn't a good film.

It's Not a fact, it's just YOUR opinion. That's all.

Many people in the mainstream enjoyed the film, and some even loved it.

Now this is fact. Read the consensus,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

Also check this out,

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=9751

http://www.empireonline.com/awards/film.asp
Superman Returns didn't win but it was in the shortlist of best films of the year, which was voted by many thousands of people.

ALSO SHORTLISTED
Pan's Labyrinth
The Departed
United 93
Superman Returns

http://www.empireonline.com/awards/director.asp

Bryan Singer was also in the short list for best director

http://www.empireonline.com/awards/malenewcomer.asp

Brandon Routh actually was voted as Best Male Newcomer.

See, a lot of people disagree with you.

Last edited:
It's Not a fact, it's just YOUR opinion. That's all.

Many people in the mainstream enjoyed the film, and some even loved it.

Now this is fact. Read the consensus,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

Also check this out,

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=9751

http://www.empireonline.com/awards/film.asp
Superman Returns didn't win but it was in the shortlist of best films of the year, which was voted by many thousands of people.

ALSO SHORTLISTED
Pan's Labyrinth
The Departed
United 93
Superman Returns

http://www.empireonline.com/awards/director.asp

Bryan Singer was also in the short list for best director

http://www.empireonline.com/awards/malenewcomer.asp

Brandon Routh actually was voted as Best Male Newcomer.

See, a lot of people disagree with you.

Yeah and a lot of people including Roger Ebert hated it.

And if it was so great why didn't it get a sequel like Iron Man has in 2 years. The film had a budget of 232 million and made about 391 million world wide, that's pretty disappointing compared what other super hero movies made and yes those box office results are what put the franchise on hold: http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2009/11/25/superman_franchise_on_the_rocks/

A movie has to make double its budget to be considered a hit and Superman returns did not do that. So clearly the general public didn't like it enough to give the support it needed for a sequel, so clearly there were problems with it.

Again why couldn't Superman Returns have done something new franchise and brought in super villains we never saw on screen before, like Parasite or Braniac or Metallo? Why did Superman Returns have to be almost completely devoid of action? Superman lifting something is not a climax.

And if it was so great why didn't it get a sequel like Iron Man has in 2 years. The film had a budget of 232 million and made about 391 million world wide, that's pretty disappointing compared what other super hero movies made and yes those box office results are what put the franchise on hold: http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2009/11/25/superman_franchise_on_the_rocks/

A movie has to make double its budget to be considered a hit and Superman returns did not do that. So clearly the general public didn't like it enough to give the support it needed for a sequel, so clearly there were problems with it.

Again why couldn't Superman Returns have done something new franchise and brought in super villains we never saw on screen before, like Parasite or Braniac or Metallo? Why did Superman Returns have to be almost completely devoid of action? Superman lifting something is not a climax.

Is dismissing any opinion or idea that doesn't match you're own the only way you can win argument? Why do you even care if we like that film? Why are you fighting so hard?

Is dismissing any opinion or idea that doesn't match you're own the only way you can win argument? Why do you even care if we like that film? Why are you fighting so hard?

Because I found film really disappointing? I'm debating, I'm making my points against your's, that's what debating is.

Besides I'm taking issue with your premise that DC takes more time making quality films and Marvel just releases everything even if its crap, at all once. I didn't think Superman Returns was a quality project and many others here don't as well, so I don't agree with your core premise.

You two should move in together.

Oh and Docker, if you had any credibility it just went out the window with that last post.

Why, because they have different opinions than yours?

The idea that DC takes it time and is more about quality over quantity isn't true. The fact is, two of the worst comic book movies ever put to film in recent years are DC. Catwoman and Batman and Robin. The latter of which nearly killed the superhero/comic book genre off completely. Until Marvel rescued it with Blade and X-Men.

You two should move in together.

Oh and Docker, if you had any credibility it just went out the window with that last post.

You threw out your creditability a long time ago on this thread, so you really aren't in a position to cast stones at others.

A lot of people didn't like Superman Returns, so a lot of people are going to disagree when you say it was a great film and it is evidence that DC takes it time making quality films, some people are going to take issue with that.

You know, the very fact that he hated it makes me think it was good.

And if it was so great why didn't it get a sequel like Iron Man has in 2 years.

Yes, because a film's quality is defined by its sequels. That's why Transformers 2 is great, it's getting a sequel.

The film had a budget of 232 million and made about 391 million world wide, that's pretty disappointing compared what other super hero movies made and yes those box office results are what put the franchise on hold: http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2009/11/25/superman_franchise_on_the_rocks/

Well, The Incredible Hulk barely made 175% of its budget and its getting a sequel. It seems that other factors are involved.

Superman Returns had as much action as any other average superhero movie (the plane, Metropolis earthquake, the ending). Problem is that action for many people is punching someone else.

Lifting something deosn't sound as a climax unless you know it's Superman and a mountain of Kryptonite in order to save Earth. Three people and a gun talking doesn't sound the classic action-packed climax, but it worked for The Dark Knight.

A lot of people didn't like Superman Returns, so a lot of people are going to disagree when you say it was a great film and it is evidence that DC takes it time making quality films, some people are going to take issue with that.

Yeah, and then again they have a little legal problem that you forgot to mention.

Last edited:
Actually, The Incredible Hulk isn't getting a sequel. :D

Superman Returns wasn't a very good movie. It wasn't a catastrophe like some people make out, but it certainly wasn't good. If it was good we'd all know about it, it'd make mega money, it'd be critically acclaimed and fan boys all over the internet would be praising it to high heaven. This is ****ing Superman we are talking about, like I said, if it was good, we'd know about it, like we know that TDK was good.

You know, the very fact that he hated it makes me think it was good.

That's nice, I don't care. I value his opinion over your's.

Yes, because a film's quality is defined by its sequels. That's why Transformers 2 is great, it's getting a sequel.

Transformers 2 is a successful movie, not a good, Superman Returns has neither good or successful, yeah its better then Transformers 2, but that's not something to be proud of.

Well, The Incredible Hulk barely made 175% of its budget and its getting a sequel. It seems that other factors are involved.

There isn't a sequel. Its still a better film then Superman Returns.

Superman Returns had as much action as any other average superhero movie (the plane, Metropolis earthquake, the ending). Problem is that action for many people is punching someone else.

The Earthquake didn't even involve Superman, so barely even counts, I want to see action involving Superman, not some random Earth quake. I want Superman doing something, not just a random Earth quake, I would be disappointed if Spider-Man 2, half the movie involved some earth quake that Spider-Man doesn't deal with. The lifting of the island is pretty dull compared to the Dr. Octopus vs. spider-Mn fight or even the Wolverine vs. Deathstrike fight, so it fails to measure up. Superman just lifting something doesn't have the same back and forth tension that a fight scene would have had.

All of that supposed action sucks in comparison to a ton of comic book movies I can think of. Was there any good reasons why Superman couldn't have fought someone in the movie? 5 Superman moves and only Superman II had any good fight scenes. What a waste.

Lifting something deosn't sound as a climax unless you know it's Superman and a mountain of Kryptonite in order to save Earth. Three people and a gun talking doesn't sound the classic action-packed climax, but it worked for The Dark Knight.

There several well done action scenes in Dark Knight before that, so you can't compare the action in Dark Knight to the action to superman returns, TDK kicks its butt in that regard.

Also the climax in Superman returns made no sense. Earlier in the film Superman was nearly killed just by standing near kryptonite almost killed him and then he can just lift a mountain of it, with no explanation. What happened, did he just will power to shrug it off, makes it seem kinda useless doesn't it? Why didn't he just shrug it off in the first movie. Heck why did they use kryptonite again, that just made the whole thing a retread of the previous movies, as noted here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ItsJustSomeRandomGuy#p/u/85/7rp2f2OcCpQ

As yeah the action in Superman Returns , really sucked and was almost non existent! But hey, who wants action in an action movie? Well we are at it, why not make a comedy with almost no jokes in it.

Yeah, and then again they have a little legal problem that you forgot to mention.

The law suit was in 2009, why couldn't they have made a new Superman movie in 2008? Maybe because it was disappointing.

Last edited:
When Supes lifted the Kryptonite mountain at the end I was like "Oh you have got to be joking right? WTF were you guys thinking?"

Why, because they have different opinions than yours?

The idea that DC takes it time and is more about quality over quantity isn't true. The fact is, two of the worst comic book movies ever put to film in recent years are DC. Catwoman and Batman and Robin. The latter of which nearly killed the superhero/comic book genre off completely. Until Marvel rescued it with Blade and X-Men.

No, I gave his ideas and opinions a chance. Together, they didn't do the same for me.

Batman and Robin was made over ten years ago, I won't call that recent years. If I'm not mistaken, Catwoman was NOT made in conjuncion with DC Comics. The character in that film is not even Selina Kyle.

Some rescue, those films are not even that great.

You threw out your creditability a long time ago on this thread, so you really aren't in a position to cast stones at others.

I don't think my creditability is at all in question. I posted my thought and I gave your opinions a chance, but for some reason the two of you think your opinions are facts.

I never said Superman Returns is evidence that DC takes it's time making quality films. Now you're just making things up.

What I did say is, that as a whole, there is evidence that DC takes it's time making quality films.

Oh, and by the way you're in big trouble now because...

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL EL PAYASO

has arrived.

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Last edited:
No, I gave his ideas and opinions a chance. Together, they didn't do the same for me.

Batman and Robin was made over ten years ago, I won't call that recent years. If I'm not mistaken, Catwoman was NOT made in conjuncion with DC Comics. The character in that film is not even Selina Kyle.

They are still DC films.

Some rescue, those films are not even that great.

Many would disagree with that and that seems like presenting opinions as facts. Without these films we wouldn't have had the current crop of DC films. Plus those films are better then Superman Returns.

I don't think my creditability is at all in question. I posted my thought and I gave your opinions a chance, but for some reason the two of you think your opinions are facts.:

Your credibility went out the window when you cherry picked the DC films to say they are better.

I never said Superman Returns is evidence that DC takes it's time making quality films. Now you're just making things up.

That's the impression you gave.

What I did say is, that as a whole, there is evidence that DC takes it's time making quality films.:

Yes as long as long as we ignore movies like Catwoman and Batman and Robin, then that premise works.

Oh, and by the way you're in big trouble now because...

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL EL PAYASO

has arrived.

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

I'm quaking in my boots. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
That's nice, I don't care. I value his opinion over your's.

Maybe it's just me, but you seem like a very angry person. It also seems like you have a great deal of malice for anyone who doesn't share your opinions.

I made a grave mistake with the way I presented the subject of this thread, I know that now. That mistake was compounded upon by you and your "friend" removing all fun from the topic at hand. Now I will acknowledge that mistake and fix it, that's the differance between us.

Closed at the request of Alex Logan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"