Criterion Collection

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
The Criterion Collection it's all about releasing "important classic and contemporary films".

And with some of the movies in the Criterion Collection (Benjamin Button, Chasing Amy, Do The Right Thing, Robocop, A Hard Day's Life, This Is Spinal Tap, almost every Wes Anderson movie, and a lot of foreign films) are there any movies that you think would make great additions to it?

I really think that Fight Club deserves to be there.

God bless the Criterion Collection :up:
Whenever I want to watch a good foreign movie I just check out their stuff, usually I end up enjoying what they chose to put on there.

That being said I would chose Let the right one in, its one of my favorite foreign films of all time and was pretty darn good.
Btw, I had no idea they put mainstream films like Benjamin Button on there.

Btw, I had no idea they put mainstream films like Benjamin Button on there.
I think they add at least one mainstream movie every year or so, that's probably why Dazed and Confused is there.

I'd want to see The Breakfast Club, Night of The Living Dead, and The Matrix as part of the Collection.

They also released Armageddon.

I think they add at least one mainstream movie every year or so, that's probably why Dazed and Confused is there.

I'd want to see The Breakfast Club, Night of The Living Dead, and The Matrix as part of the Collection.

Dazed and Confused deserves to be there IMO.

I would love to see The Dark Knight get the full Criterion treatment. That would be cool :up:

There are quite a few movies that I feel Criterion recognize as having potential for being included in their releases, but there isn't really any reason to do so. For example, the WB does a fine job of releasing special editions (Gone With The Wind), as does Universal (the recent re-release of Touch of Evil.)

As far as movies that don't currently have a 'proper' release?

The Abyss
The Prestige
True Lies
Brick
Primer

I would love if they had Chris Nolan's first film "Following" on there.

I'd love a 2 hour documentary completely focused on David Bowie.
Also, the CC edition of The Prestige should come with a David Bowie hair so I can grow my own when cloning technology is available.

there isn't a big doc on David huh? They have time to do it, (he's only 62) but the clock is ticking away.

I think Bowie will be around for around for a long time.
You have to think that a dude like Ridley Scott is still working, and he's 72.

True...but how much would a world without Bowie suck?

Which reminds me...I love my CC edition of The man who fell to earth :up:

Have any of you seen Mr. Arkadin? In my opinion it represents some of Criterion's finest work in both content and packaging.

What are some of your favorites?

PS...and the 3 disc re-re of Seven Samurai.

I'm surprised Blade Runner wasn't a part of Criterion.

Yeah, the Criterion Collection does release "important classic and contemporary films". Films that most people mostly have never seen:oldrazz:

As cool as it would be to see Criterion editions of The Dark Knight or The Prestige, as far as I'm aware, WB doesn't license out to companies like Criterion. They should so someone can release a proper version of Ken Russell's "The Devils"(because WB doesn't, and seemingly won't ever, have the balls to do it themselves.)

But Criterion does wonderful jobs with their releases. They released a great edition of Carl Dryer's great film "Vampyr" and the packaging and supplements great, trumped only by the European Eureka's Master of Cinema line, which had a commentary by Guillermo Del Toro!

Their "Brazil" boxset is great, too. As is "The Man Who Fell To Earth", previously mentioned. "M" is also pretty *****in'.

From Blu-ray.com:
Criterion Teases Gojira (Godzilla) Blu-ray
Matthew Smith said:
Earlier today Criterion posted an image of a Toho film canister on their Facebook page that hinted they may be preparing the 1954 monster classic Gojira (Godzilla) for a future Blu-ray release.

The Ishiro Honda film, which began the long series of Godzilla monster movies and spin-offs, previously debuted on Blu-ray in a 2009 release courtesy of Classic Media, but has yet to undergo a full restoration. The film is also known as Godzilla, King of the Monsters, a re-edited North American version which featured Raymond Burr.

The tease leaves many questions unanswered since an official announcement from the distributor has yet to be made. A possible release date and answers as to what versions of the film will be included are now open to speculation. Pictured below is the image posted on The Criterion Collection's official Facebook page.

From The Good, The Bad and GODZILLA:
CRITERION PREPPING "GODZILLA" (1954)! - DVD & BD Release Coming Soon?

From Facebook:
The Criterion Collection's Photos - Wall Photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"