• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Current State Of X-Men?

Rellings

Civilian
Reaction score
Well, I should probably start off by saying that I was a huge fan of the X-Men animated series when I was a kid. I loved the principle cast of mutants, Wolverine, Cyclops, Beast, Rogue, Storm, Xavier, Jean, and Gambit. So I'm finding it hard looking at the current series's of X-Men, because the characters I love are either no longer around, or are scattered throughout the different titles.

So with that out of the way, my question is this: Which in your opinion, is the best current X-Men series?

The only current title I have heard anything about, has been Astonishing, but I am looking for something that has and will be tied to big plot points of the Marvel Universe in the future, which currently is Civil War.

they all suck! trust me. and they wont be getting any better. expect the same crap to happen:
new siblings will appear stronger (vulcan and cassanova)
more mutant hate issues
magneto will return
wolverine will be found everywhere

if i was to recommend anything, God help me, it would be whatever brubakers working on.

the C... shut up, j/k.

Astonishing X-Men - people call this the flagship title... I WILL NEVER THINK OF THIS TITLE AS FLAGSHIP!!
Pro: Good characters and character moments. not boring.
con: at the moment its not monthly

Uncanny X-men - this to me will always be the flagship
pro: Marvel Girl, Xaveir and Nightcrawler
Con: i'm not to fond of anything that has to do with space. i always hated the x-men in space but this seems like it MIGHT be good

X-factor - The detective character driven book
pro: peter david knows how to handle these B and/or C list characters. there's always a twist.
con: the art keeps changing. while good, it can be annoying and throws off the flow of the book.

The best, in my opinion, would have to be X-Men. It's been better than both Uncanny and Astonishing for a while.

Cleric so help me, don't make call the unholy one on you. you know very well who I'm talking about, his name starts with....W. stop hating on the Xmen or all hell will break loose.IMO I think Astonishing has been the best book. Uncanny finally looks like it's headed the right direction. as for Xmen, they need to change that artist(****ing annoying) last issue was better than the previous 5.

p.s Damn you Cleric for almost making me say his name..I will see you in hell

To be fair The Cleric is fully entitled to hate the X-men titles and say so, if thats what he believes. I would disagree with him on a few things though, Astonishing is a good title, and I think Brubaker will turn Uncanny into a decent title. So reccommend either of these to a new reader.

I think The Cleric isn't far off the mark with thes rest of his comments though

Cypocalypse said:
edit: oops! Wrong thread.

WRONG

luthoravatar3rf.gif

I'd say go with Uncanny and then Astonishing, Uncanny mainly because of the fact that you liked the animated crew and this team matches up with that the most, especially with Jean's daughter Rachel as the new Phoenix spotter. Astonishing has some good storylines going as well and a more 'motley' crew that allows for various interactions. Uncanny's more streamline when it comes to the interworkings of the team, aside from the Sentinels and all.

The best X-Men related book is X-Factor, hands down. Followed closely by Astonishing, Uncanny and X-Men. And from what ive gandered at Ultimate X-Men, it might be worht a look.

Is Blood of Apocalypse worth picking up on tpb?

Astonishing had a great first arc, but swiftly declined in quality. Partly down to lame villains (danger sucked, and I dont see the big deal about the hellfire club), and partly due to the fact that the spark seems to be gone now. I am awaiting the last arc to make up my mind on if it was a disappointment overall.

Exiles is still pretty great though :up:

Check out Brian K Vaughan's Ultimate X-Men run,the best the book has been.I think they were #s 46 to 65.

I liked the Blood of Apocalypse, although it ended rather melodramatically. I'd get it if I were you.

Rellings said:
The only current title I have heard anything about, has been Astonishing, but I am looking for something that has and will be tied to big plot points of the Marvel Universe in the future, which currently is Civil War.

Don't get your hopes up.

Millar mentioned the main CW book as having a main cast of various Avengers characters past and present,Spider-Man,and the Fantastic Four.The X-Men don't play a huge part.

Try out Civil War:X-Men though.Comes out nest week I think.

i liked the danger arc in Astonishing. i still dont get why people didn't

COMICBOY said:
i liked the danger arc in Astonishing. i still dont get why people didn't

Its been done, and a lot better.

well i haven't read anything like it. maybe thats why

The "Danger" arc was way too similar to the "Cerebro has went insane and is fighting against it's creators oh no!!" story. Very unoriginal idea and unnecassery.

I think Astonishing X-Men is very overrated. If you like spending good money on books you can read in less than a minute, Astonishing is for you! The characters are just so bla!! Colossus: I am strong!! Wolverine: I like beer! Seriously, how does this get so much fan hype??

I stopped buying Astonishing at the current arc.

What's happening in Uncanny looks interesting. I hope it's good, not just for my sake but for the sake of the X-Men comics. It's a popular opinion that for quite some time now, all of the X-Men books have been... lacking.

Pick up Astonishing(The Flagship X-book) and Uncanny X-men(Great Run Getting Started Now)..Then maybe X-men(Which lost alot of Steam after GM left) but still worthy to Pick up

I was thining that how come all their $h!t malfunctions around them, Cerebro, and the danger room.

kainedamo said:
The "Danger" arc was way too similar to the "Cerebro has went insane and is fighting against it's creators oh no!!" story. Very unoriginal idea and unnecassery.

I think Astonishing X-Men is very overrated. If you like spending good money on books you can read in less than a minute, Astonishing is for you! The characters are just so bla!! Colossus: I am strong!! Wolverine: I like beer! Seriously, how does this get so much fan hype??

I stopped buying Astonishing at the current arc.

What's happening in Uncanny looks interesting. I hope it's good, not just for my sake but for the sake of the X-Men comics. It's a popular opinion that for quite some time now, all of the X-Men books have been... lacking.

Obviously not popular enough looking at the fanbase and sales, not to mention the nods on this Forum and others for Astonishing.:o

Just read the two new ones; Uncanny is interestin' so far (considerin' I haven't read the ones before since Bachalo took over), and speakin' of Bachalo he renders X-Men completely unreadable. Someone stick this guy on Black Panther...at least that's a book I already don't read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"