Dave Cockrum: RIP

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Just got this bulletin on myspace from Rachel K:

Here's what my fiancee, Henry Covert wrote (I will add my own personal notes at the end):

"i only learned a few hours ago that Dave had passed away. he had been sick for a long time, but it still registers as a shock. i saw him in June, and he seemed a bit on the upswing. i only met him twice, at the HeroesCons 2005 and 2007, but i did get to speak to him at length the latter time, and we had an enjoyable discussion.

Dave deserves major, major props that he rarely receives for drawing stories and creating and co-creating characters for the X-Men that, through comics, animation, and now 3 incredibly succesful films, have been branded into the public psyche. Dave's work on the 'new' X-Men brought us the following:

Dave created Nightcrawler (featured in X2); Dave co-created Storm (featured in all 3 films); Colossus (in the 2nd & 3rd X-films); Thunderbird (the only X-Man to stay dead; not in the movies).

Dave designed Jean Grey's Phoenix persona (but not the DarK Phoenix look that partially translated into X-Men: The Last Stand).

Dave drew the story that first established Charles & Erik (or 'Magnus') had been friends long before they were enemies.

Most crucially, Dave designed & originated Logan. Wolverine had appeared in about 7 comics (HULK and X-MEN), all only as Wolverine & in full mask & costume, until X-Men 98, written by Chris Claremont, when Dave established Wolverine's secret ID. later in the same issue it's revealed that Logan's claws pop directly out of his hands, not his gloves as everyone had thought.

So many stories & millions of dollars in film receipts have been built on that iconic look - the wolfen hair, rugged clothing, major attitude, and the steel claws emerging from flesh.

when i first saw the first X-MEN film, i felt a strange.... frisson?.. when Hugh Jackman first appears as Logan, and the first time he unsheatheS his claws.

i could descend into all-out geekery and go on, but i will add that Dave did fine work on many, many other comics, characters, & for many publishers.

i don't know what Cockrum thought of X3, if he had a chance to see it, but it would be nice for him to see the posters & DVD covers i walk by every day where i work, and see Logan, Storm, & Nightcrawler - characters now loved all over the world - peering back at him, knowing they were born of the hands & mind of a fine, fine man.

thanx Dave for bringing so much joy to so many, we love & will miss you.

Henry Covert"

I met Dave Cockrum through Ken Gale and Mercy Van Vlack (who would remind you of his Legion of the Superheroes work). I visited him 3 or 4 times when he was in the hospital up here in NYC two years ago. I was with him as he began to draw sketches again, and also took Q&A notes for a direction in a story he wanted to write about some of his original characters. Dave was both a fan-boy and a comic book creator as many comic book professionals are. I think that's one of the reasons he came to so many conventions. He enjoyed toys and models, too. We talked about the "Smallville" series and other science fiction television shows when I visited.

It is difficult to loose artistic talent, but even more difficult when a friend is lost. While I have heard that Dave did not want a big deal to be made over his death, I do hope that some memorial dinners and gatherings take place. If you want to honor Dave's request... then by all means remember and share stories and memories others you care about who have passed at such gatherings. People we care about should not be forogotten.

My sincere love goes out to Patie and the Cockrum household.

- Rachel K

Thanks for everything Dave! You'll be missed.

Wow that is so sad he seemed like such a nice, regular guy who loved comics and superheroes from the documentary that came with the X3 dvd by accident and i love what he did in phoenix saga and other x-mens of that time he is underrated and really helped make x-men who they are i love his style i think my favorite was when they were at cassidy keep esp when storm had her claustrophobia:D

Thats really sad, he had such a big impact on the xmen franchise and im sure was a lovely sweet man. I hope he is proud of the xmen films which would be nothing without his contribution. You'll be sorely missed Dave. :heart:

oh that's sad news. I grew up reading comics that he drew. RIP Dave.

RIP Dave. I didnt know he did so much for some of the gr8test marvel characters.

A Great man.

the New Xmen would ,of course, never have existed as we know them if not for the contributions of this man.

I will never forget, among other, the way he drew the demise of thunderbird.he really gave some meaning to the name proud star..a great moving and admirable moment..

...As for his other work, The Futurians graphic novel was a big favorite of mine ...

he gave a lot of enjoyable and beautiful ,thoughtful , inspiring moments to my teenage years..

Of course , apart from his work ,i can't comment on the man he was.

But the thing which always struck me is that there was love imo in all his drawing ..he was giving himself one hundreth prct and it showed. seeing his artwork ,i'm pretty sure he had a big heart..

For me, his work is an inspiration.

Rip mister Cockrum:heart:

Here's an excerpt from the AP article on Dave Cockrum's passing:

Many signature characters Cockrum designed and co-created — such as Storm, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus — went on to become part of the "X-Men" films starring Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry.

Cockrum received no movie royalties, said family friend Clifford Meth, who organized efforts to help Cockrum and his family during his protracted medical care.

"Dave saw the movie and he cried — not because he was bitter," Meth said. "He cried because his characters were on screen and they were living."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061128/ap_on_en_ot/obit_dave_cockrum

Most of these artists and writers that worked "for" Marvel I believe signed a contract that stated whatever character they create is the property of Marvel unless otherwise agreed. That was important so they couldn't create a character and watch it become popular then take it away to some other company. I think some of the real early writers had no such contract. When these characters were created who knew what they would become. Fortunate for Marvel and I'm happy he wasn't bitter about it. He was a great guy.

In regards to Dave Cockrum and the royalties from X-Men, about two years ago there was a big tribute put together to raise money for him because of the financial difficulties his family was having due to his heath problems and medical bills (he had been hospitalized for six months)

Marvel looked bad, since it was right after Nightcrawler had been featured in the second X-Men film and they reached a financial settlement.

It wasn't the Cockrums pushing for that. A lot of fans and other artists (especially Neal Adams) were concerned about Mr Cockrum and his family and took up his cause with Marvel.

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/107956708897842.htm

This is sad news.I've got some of his comics.At least he lived long enough to see his creations come to life on the big screen.

A lot of people can live with diabetes without having much trouble so its a shame he lost the battle.

RIP Dave.

RIP Dave. :csad:

Creative genius like his is not found these days.

As I mentioned a few days ago, the comic world took a serious blow with the passing of this man. The quality of characters he created has endured for decades and certainly has enriched Marvel's overall pedigree as a result.

My condolences to his family and friends; it's very untimely. He was young, man. :(

"Many signature characters Cockrum designed and co-created — such as Storm, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus — went on to become part of the "X-Men" films starring Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry.

Cockrum received no movie royalties, said family friend Clifford Meth, who organized efforts to help Cockrum and his family during his protracted medical care."

I dont have the respect for Stan Lee that most others have. He took credit for alot of things he didnt do.

"Most of these artists and writers that worked "for" Marvel I believe signed a contract that stated whatever character they create is the property of Marvel unless otherwise agreed. That was important so they couldn't create a character and watch it become popular then take it away to some other company."

I dont think its important because Marvel can retain the property so it couldnt be taken away but because of greed. If you want to keep the property fine, but how does that stop them from giving royalities to the peopel who created the characters???

This is why self publishing is the answer if you want kind of ownership of what you create. But you know, when youre a struggling artist living on macaroni and cheese and are offered a steady income, it must be hard to turn down a job for Marvel. At the time in the 70s, the options werent there that became available later.

I went to Kuberts school inthe late 90s and being in that place for a year changed my mind. After wanting to draw comics for a living since childhood, I no longer wanted anything to do with the industry. It had been corrupted.

Anyway...... RIP Dave:(

"Dave saw the movie and he cried — not because he was bitter," Meth said. "He cried because his characters were on screen and they were living."

Oh god...this touched me :(
Rest in Peace, Dave.

Dave Cockrum was truly an icon in the comic book industry, and it's sad to see him gone :( The characters he helped shape and form will carry his legacy on for sure, though. Those of you who got the Walmart X-Men bonus DVD will remember that he was on there talking about the characters. He seemed like a really cool guy. Rest in peace, Dave.

the a1ant said:
Those of you who got the Walmart X-Men bonus DVD will remember that he was on there talking about the characters. .

Bonus DVD? You mean...the Bogus DVD? :whatever:

Anyway...back to mourning our loss....:(

giantsizedxmen800yd4.gif

untitledjs6.png

Dave Cockrum is responsible for bringing to life some of the most iconic characters and images in the X-Men mythos. He will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"