• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Krypton David Goyer Attached to "Krypton"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb

Lord of Demons
Reaction score
We told you Warners was developing a Supergirl TV show. It was confirmed by others.

We told you Fox was developing an X-Men TV show. It was also confirmed by others.
And now? Something that may be inspired by the utter success of new television show Gotham in telling pre-Batman stories and getting an audience familiar with tales to come and teasing them on a weekly basis.
That Man Of Steel writer/producer David Goyer is involved in a TV show called Krypton.
As we have previously mentioned, if you want a DC Comics film made these days, you’ve gotta get a Goyer. And it seems the same may be true for TV shows.
The name suggests a pre-Superman drama set on the planet Krypton, maybe involving the House Of El, maybe Brainiac, maybe an end of the world cult, maybe lots of dragons flying around the place.

Goyer also wrote the screenplay for The Man Of Steel also portrayed some of the Kryptonian lifestyle, as some kind of communist dystopia for which the USA was a blessed relief and alternative. Comics such as the World Of Krypton stories and For The Man Who Has Everything have explored aspects of Krypton, that it would feel hard for such a show to completely ignore.
Goyer has recently been involved with the Constantine and Da Vinci’s Demons TV series. The likes of Gotham has made this kind of “before” show possible, as previously there was the rather similarly themed “before” show Caprica to bear in mind…
Of course, it could be a sitcom set in a comic shop. Who knows?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...yer-attached-to-new-tv-show-its-name-krypton/

What da ya think?

It could be brilliant if done right, and could show the origins of Superman's most popular foes that are not from earth. AND, it wouldnt have to worry about timelines and characters being introduced too soon before the hero assumes his mantle.

Same. I don't have as much interest in the backstory of Superman's villains as I do for Batman's. Whether I ever watch this show will depend on its reviews.

Smallville covered Clark's teenage years in high school and discovering his powers before he flew and wore the suit. Makes sense to cover Krypton and explore what led to its fate. Since David Goyer is attached to the project, will it be set in the MOS universe?

The Superman franchise could see a resurgence with the MOS sequel/ JL prequel with Batman and Wonder Woman, the Supergirl TV series with CBS, and now possibly Krypton. Only other thing missing for the Superman franchise is a new animated series.

If this is set in the MOS universe it would be sweet if they brought back Russell Crowe's Obi-Wan like Jor-El

Russell Crowe isn't doing television.

I think it could be good , if handled correctly but it would have to focus on Jor El and Lara at least. If its about some random new characters, forget about it. We could get into the characters Jor El and Lara, and perhaps see Zod's turn to darkness much in the way we saw Lex's transformation on Smallville. But there in lies the rub: The show could basically come off as a space version of Smallville. Gotham imo has some of the same sort of setsbacks to doing a prequel show.

Think it could be alright if they limited it to one season.

It could be brilliant if done right, and could show the origins of Superman's most popular foes that are not from earth. AND, it wouldnt have to worry about timelines and characters being introduced too soon before the hero assumes his mantle.

This was my initial reaction. In addition to showing more of that utterly interesting Krypton society that we saw in MOS, people forget, the Kryptonians had a space exploration/expansion program. This is a perfect way to explore DC's universe. We might get introduced to characters that don't show up on the big screen, and since Goyer is behind it, we may see characters that will eventually show up, like Darkseid, Brainiac or MMH. Hell, even the Lanterns. It's not like they have a limited amount of space characters.

Since Krypton's society is at least tens of thousands of years old, I had a thought about them doing sort of an anthology type series that spans from Krypton's creation to their destruction, with a lot of interesting characters and stories mixed in between.

But I do hope to see Russell Crowe's Jor-El and Antje Traue's Faora at some point.

This might end up being the best out of all the CB tv shows. So much potential. Fingers crossed it's on either HBO, Showtime or Starz.

Last edited:
I look forward to it!

I don't know how realistic it is that Antje return as Faora, but here's hoping.

Agree. While I don't doubt that aspects of Krypton's history, culture, development, etc could be interesting in the wider context of various Superman stories, I'm not sure that they would be all that interesting by themselves.

But, I type that as someone who is not enjoying Gotham and will probably stop watching it soon. I also don't really understand the interesting in doing "prequels" for superheroes without using the actual costumed, superheroes. If they don't want to make a Superman TV series, but still want it to be related to Superman, then why not use Supergirl (as they're already doing), Superboy, Steel or Lois Lane (Daily Planet)?

Similarly, if they don't want to make a Batman TV series, but still want it to be related to Batman, then why not use Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman, Birds of Prey or The Outsiders?

Perhaps if this show is one of those stories where Kal-El time travels 2 try & stop a bad guy from changing history & maybe hes stuck there for a few seasons & we through Kal-El learn about Krypton etc ?

I also feel this series is not needed at all, they could show flashbacks of Krypton in the Supergirl series and make the show more interesting than just Kara in the present. But who knows, this may just be a trial balloon to see if people would be interested, we'll see. :super:

1) Krypton sounds like a much better idea for a prequel than Gotham.

2) Goyer's involvement = meh.

3) I hope prequel series don't become a thing. SV was more than enough.

Pretty much. I don't get what the point would be of this show or what it would be about? Crime and injustice on krypton? Politics? No thanks, and this is just me personally, not speaking for anyone else. I also don't get the fascination with pre (insert superhero here) shows, either just do the character in question or leave it alone. I for one can't say I ever wondered about life on krypton, so I guess that's why this show doesn't interest me at all.

My only concern is that a TV Budget does rather limit what the can do.

I would assume it would center on Jor-El. Which has a lot of potential.

Probably should have chosen to do this instead of Gotham, as the idea of a sci-fi show set on Krypton is more interesting a than show about Batman before anything becomes interesting.

Probably should have chosen to do this instead of Gotham, as the idea of a sci-fi show set on Krypton is more interesting a than show about Batman before anything becomes interesting.

But, but, but ... haven't you ever wondered about how the Penguin got his trade mark umbrella? Or whether Poison Ivy liked pot plants as a child? Or whether Catwoman shoplifted as a child? Or whether the Riddler always liked riddles?

I prefer the idea of Krypton over what's happening with Gotham right now. It could be a cool sci fi show that explores the cosmic aspects of the DCU. It would be even better if they did their Jor-El just like MOS.

I think this sounds like a great idea for a show, and I hope it materializes. It would be cool if it covered Zod and his crew while they were making trouble on Krypton, before they got sent to the Zone. I'd always wondered what their crimes were.

Goyer is involved? no thanks

Goyer is involved? no thanks

His krypton in man of steel was not interesting... Also, if it's the same continuity, they'd have to recast everyone... Or at least everyone interesting (jor el, zod, favors, Lara, brainiac once he shows up in the movies, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"