Sequels David Lindsay-Abaire writing Spider-Man 4

Wasn't gonna say anything, but ^he did, lol.

However...nothing beats Metallica...

just saying...

No, I meant I wasn't gonna saying anything about the "all my heart" phrase, but you said it instead.

I hate most rap, too.

And Beck >>> Stone Temple Pilots >>> Nirvana.

Last edited:
I HATE rap. I appreciate in a cultural sense and it's genre. But the lyrics are utter trash with most songs.

See, RAP did something to the music industry with artists like Lil' Wayne and T-Pain....

if you wanna hear actual good hip-hop, then here: Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Buck 65, Listener, Mars ILL, X:144 & SPS, Zion I, Jedi Mind Tricks....

Saying you hate rap because of the lyrics is a reason, yes, but don't count it all out...listen to the different spectres of rap/hip-hop before giving a judgment.

I can count on one hand the modern rappers who I think are worth a damn. Most of them are just spouting nonsense.

*raises eyebrow and chuckles*

Just say you hate rap with a passion and people won't look at you funny :cwink:
True, lol. For some reason, I always used to say "With all my heart." I agree though, it sounds...odd. "Passion" sounds better, lol.

WTF happened to this thread? Seriously people, take your rotten bottoms to the community forum with your horrible choices in so-called music. :cool:

He does indeed, but I he doesnt do it when MJ, Aunt May, or Harry are in danger does he? I know I wouldnt be quipping when fighting for the lives of one of the 3 people I love most in this world.

Exactly. And don't give me the bullsh1t answer of them doing it in the comics. How many times has fe faced the villiains? He probably knows them inside and out already. These are FILMS. Him quipping when Aunt May being dropped over the edge of the building in SM2 would be a bad idea. Please, give me some points where he could quip thatdidn't involve his loved ones in danger, a group of people to the entire city. Big things happen in a film. It's a major event. They can't revist the characters each time like in the comics.

Back on topic:
Most Spidey comics I've read, he always is saying things, mostly talking to himself, but he does throw quips and comments around in almost every fight.

For instance:

Doc Oc to Spidey- "Your getting on my nerves"
Spider- "I have a knack for that"

CLASSIC line and dialoge between Spidey and a Villian, but yet you never hear anything like that again. The only quips I heard other than that:

Security Guard to Doc Oc- "Put your arms up...... all of them!"

Spidey to Doc Oc- "Here's your change!"

A SECURITY GUARD out quipped Spidey!!! What the crap!??

Spidey also talks to himself while webslinging, we never hear that in Rami's films. Rami doesn't grasp the fact that when Parker puts on the mask, he's a different person (at least when he first starts out. As he gets older and more seasoned, that line starts to blend). Look at the old SMTAS from the 90's as far as how Spiderman, his dialogue with villans and situations, should be treated, with respect to the old comics. And in that series, he encounters each of his villians for the first time, and he's still spouting lines and sarcastic comments to them.

DoctorJones, to comment on your point, its valid, I can see where you are coming from. The problem is...... at what point in three, THREE!!, SM movies, have we had a climatic battle where either Harry, MJ or Aunt May were NOT in danger???

If Rami gave us something other than the same old song and dance, perhaps we'd have more opportunities for classic Spidey dialogue.

Bottom line, to me, Toby and Rami's SM is a watered down version of what Spiderman is, in comics and COULD BE in film. Compare the Batman we get in BB and TDK to what we got in B89, BR, BF and B&R. Burton/Schumacher's Batman films were watered down versions of Bats, Nolans gives us a much more fleshed out, much more human version, one we can releate too. Spiderman is an everymans hero, and he should be treated as such, and given the gravatis and depth he deserves, not dumbed down for soccer moms and 5 year olds.

At least, to me. :)

I really think a lot of you aren't grasping the concept of movie making.

You can't write a "fleshed out, much more human" story and still have your main character not give a damn about anything that's going on around him by having make jokes every second. You think the jokes are put there for the adults?

Everything they have done in these movies (with the exception of a certain part of the symbiote story) has been done to take the childish edge off the character, to make them more human. Villians have been brought back to Peter to put some kind of emotion into it, they play a role and threaten the city, they take people hostage and on top of all of this the character has to deal with his own issues as a normal person.

None of that lends itself to jokes and quips. The scientist you idolise loses everything close to him, he threatens to destroy the city and takes your girlfriend hostage, of course that's not the time to make jokes about the situation, he either wins this fight or the city is destroyed.

What Raimi and the writing staff need to understand is that not every villian needs to be relatable to Peter, stick a the odd older villian that don't need their own movie into SM4/5 as a bit of filler. Jokes ahoy!

Based on SM3, they have far more than quips to worry about if they're going to deliver with SM4. If TDK proved anything it's that you don't need to follow everything to the panel, as long as you deliver a quality product people will react. People are just all up themselves because Peter got his groove on in SM3, and now all of a sudden it's a childs superhero, 'puppies and rainbows' movie.

If SM3 didn't end on such a depressing note they could have really improved the way the character is, at the start of SM3 he was happy and confident, so close to getting that comic/TAS vibe, then it all went **** up, hopefully they'll push it a few more years into the future, no more "yay, we luv u spidaman" crap from the city, and just have it be natural. No more, 'oh no, being Spider-Man is so hard', just a guy, being a Spider. That's how they can advance towards a character a lot of us want to see.

In my opinion.

Last edited:
Exacty. People need to learn that when adapting comic, you have to take liberties with the matelrial. Just because it works in the comics doesn't mean it will work in a film.

And about Spider-Man talking to himself. This would just seem odd in a film. Why would we need to hear that while he's swinging. He know what's happening. In TAS it's a kids cartoon show so they have to be able to follow along and in the comics, it's a comic book, there gonna have to have exposition with the story.

And I think Spider-Man is created for people of all ages. I think a Spidey film for adults is just silly. Raimi has struck a great balance of that.

These complaints are MINOR and are only whiney fanboy wishes that don't serve purpose to the character in his film form.

Who the hell cares about his quips when he's in the middle of a situation that's deadly. And regarding these situations, they're big fight, and have to take points in different times in the film. It's not like they're in the comics and they can do whatever they want. Save MJ in one comic and a random kid in another. That's different. The stakes need to be raised for a film. You ca't just thorw in some random bystander abd make a big scen eout of that random person. You need the emotion and that drive for Spider-Man. You need to fell what he feels. And going after a loved one serves that prpose.

As usual, Dr.J, I'm with you completely. You make total sense.

As usual, Dr.J, I'm with you completely. You make total sense.

Thank you my friend. :yay: There doesn't seem to be alot of open minded people with this stuff. I know SMH12 walks the same path as us though. So that makes three of us.

Damn, I just noticed, there's alot of mistakes in my last post.

I feel strongly, wholeheartedly, that whatever mistakes/debated aspects there were in 3 would not have even taken place had the studio not been so uncertain about whether or not there was going to be a 4th.

Don't know if any of the above comments were directed at me, but I do want to make my point clear, because it seems its getting missed.

Exacty. People need to learn that when adapting comic, you have to take liberties with the matelrial. Just because it works in the comics doesn't mean it will work in a film.
Counterpoint, because it works in comics, doesn't mean it WOULDN'T work in film. You don't know until you try, and every one of Spideys one liners he's used in the films, no matter how sparingly they were, I enjoyed them.

And about Spider-Man talking to himself. This would just seem odd in a film. Why would we need to hear that while he's swinging. He know what's happening. In TAS it's a kids cartoon show so they have to be able to follow along and in the comics, it's a comic book, there gonna have to have exposition with the story.
I'm not saying he needs to outline every single move and scene, but it is a part of the character, and I think if done correctly, it would work well, and could add a good bit to the character.

And I think Spider-Man is created for people of all ages. I think a Spidey film for adults is just silly. Raimi has struck a great balance of that
Agreed for the most part. SM2 was a great film, my issue with the kids stuff was SM1, with the Goblin being turned into a Power Ranger. Its hard for me to get past that. I know he needed to be more real world, but come on.

My real complaint with Rami is Spiderman constantly taking his mask off. No matter how you try to slice that, you can't defend how many times he has Spidey show up in public without his mask. (saving a train going through the middle of new york? What about that horrible scene that was cut from SM2 but in SM2.1 where he stops the robbers in the car, jumps in the car, then in front of traffic and pedestrians, pulls his mask off? WTC!!!??)

These complaints are MINOR and are only whiney fanboy wishes that don't serve purpose to the character in his film form.
I am open minded about these films, and I am not a fanboy, nor whiney. I don't collect comics and have a basement full of action figures. However, I do really enjoy the character of spiderman, and to a much larger extent, Batman. It comes from the point you made earlier, Spiderman is a character of all ages.

However, these are minor complaints when gagued against the character in the current film form, yes. These complaints are major when gauged against the comic book form of Spiderman. Its whichever once you choose, and again, its only in my opinion, but your next quote allows me to bring my point home.

Who the hell cares about his quips when he's in the middle of a situation that's deadly.
From Wikipedia:
"A very large part of his combat ability is improvisation and using his wits to out-think his opponents. One constant is his habit of using jokes, puns and insults. This serves a dual purpose, in that it not only causes his adversaries to become angry and distracted, it also helps Spider-Man deal with any fears or doubts that he might have during a battle."

Thats why I feel its important to have a fully fleshed out character of Spiderman talking during the films. It goes back to the same point Batman fans made about the Bruce Wayne that Tim Burton made. It was Bruce Wayne, yes, but only a part of him. There were aspects of his personality that exsisted in the comics that were ignored by Burton. Yet we still enjoyed it.

Thats the main point I'm trying to make. Rami has ignored much of Spidermans character, like when Spidey first started out, Peter's personality changed when he put on the mask. (not to mention, where was Gwen? Her death was just as much a shaping impact on Spiderman/Peter as Uncle Bens, arguably) Without it, he was a nerd, uncomfortable and not confident with himself. But once the mask came on, he was a completly different person. As I stated earlier, as he became more seasoned, this line began to fade, with Peter himself becoming more confident.

Anyways, the version of Spiderman I would like to see would be one who used the jokes and puns. Its part of what made me become a fan.

But, thats what makes this country great. Different strokes for different folks, agree and disagree. Hopefully, I was able to clarify my points respectfully to the valid points you guys made.

I feel strongly, wholeheartedly, that whatever mistakes/debated aspects there were in 3 would not have even taken place had the studio not been so uncertain about whether or not there was going to be a 4th.
Agreed 100%, as referenced in the conversation we had in the SM3 thread about trilogies.

I don't see the problem here...the best quips are short and memorable, so it wouldn't impact the overall tone of a Spidey film to have Spider-Man telling a joke or two. It's what he does. Would any of us have enjoyed Iron Man as much if Downey wasn't as cheeky as he was? It can work. It has worked. It's easy. My expectations have half to do with the canon. The other half has to do with having lots of fun. I should expect to have fun watching this next one, shouldn't I?

I don't see the problem here...the best quips are short and memorable, so it wouldn't impact the overall tone of a Spidey film to have Spider-Man telling a joke or two. It's what he does. Would any of us have enjoyed Iron Man as much if Downey wasn't as cheeky as he was? It can work. It has worked. It's easy. My expectations have half to do with the canon. The other half has to do with having lots of fun. I should expect to have fun watching this next one, shouldn't I?

Because that's Stark's whole personality. And so is Downey Jr.'s.

Don't know if any of the above comments were directed at me, but I do want to make my point clear, because it seems its getting missed.

Counterpoint, because it works in comics, doesn't mean it WOULDN'T work in film. You don't know until you try, and every one of Spideys one liners he's used in the films, no matter how sparingly they were, I enjoyed them.

I'm not saying he needs to outline every single move and scene, but it is a part of the character, and I think if done correctly, it would work well, and could add a good bit to the character.

Agreed for the most part. SM2 was a great film, my issue with the kids stuff was SM1, with the Goblin being turned into a Power Ranger. Its hard for me to get past that. I know he needed to be more real world, but come on.

My real complaint with Rami is Spiderman constantly taking his mask off. No matter how you try to slice that, you can't defend how many times he has Spidey show up in public without his mask. (saving a train going through the middle of new york? What about that horrible scene that was cut from SM2 but in SM2.1 where he stops the robbers in the car, jumps in the car, then in front of traffic and pedestrians, pulls his mask off? WTC!!!??)

I am open minded about these films, and I am not a fanboy, nor whiney. I don't collect comics and have a basement full of action figures. However, I do really enjoy the character of spiderman, and to a much larger extent, Batman. It comes from the point you made earlier, Spiderman is a character of all ages.

However, these are minor complaints when gagued against the character in the current film form, yes. These complaints are major when gauged against the comic book form of Spiderman. Its whichever once you choose, and again, its only in my opinion, but your next quote allows me to bring my point home.

From Wikipedia:
"A very large part of his combat ability is improvisation and using his wits to out-think his opponents. One constant is his habit of using jokes, puns and insults. This serves a dual purpose, in that it not only causes his adversaries to become angry and distracted, it also helps Spider-Man deal with any fears or doubts that he might have during a battle."

Thats why I feel its important to have a fully fleshed out character of Spiderman talking during the films. It goes back to the same point Batman fans made about the Bruce Wayne that Tim Burton made. It was Bruce Wayne, yes, but only a part of him. There were aspects of his personality that exsisted in the comics that were ignored by Burton. Yet we still enjoyed it.

Thats the main point I'm trying to make. Rami has ignored much of Spidermans character, like when Spidey first started out, Peter's personality changed when he put on the mask. (not to mention, where was Gwen? Her death was just as much a shaping impact on Spiderman/Peter as Uncle Bens, arguably) Without it, he was a nerd, uncomfortable and not confident with himself. But once the mask came on, he was a completly different person. As I stated earlier, as he became more seasoned, this line began to fade, with Peter himself becoming more confident.

Anyways, the version of Spiderman I would like to see would be one who used the jokes and puns. Its part of what made me become a fan.

But, thats what makes this country great. Different strokes for different folks, agree and disagree. Hopefully, I was able to clarify my points respectfully to the valid points you guys made.

Agreed 100%, as referenced in the conversation we had in the SM3 thread about trilogies.

No, my post wasn't directed at you, Vash.

But about Spider-Man taking off his mask, I agree about in SM2 with Peter in the car taking off his mask. But the mask in the films doesn't emote. It doesn't do anything except the jaw moving slightly. All it is is Maguire's voice used for action. Lines that are thrown in there that don't really effect the story. How many important line have you seen from Maguire with the mask on? "Let her go!", "Easy now!, "Don't do it, Goblin!" "Mary Jane!" etc.

Plus, the characters are close to Peter and his life, same goes for the villains, before they die, that's it? A confrontation with great dialogue and Spider-Man's wearing a mask, before they die too? And they're close in Peter's life in the films. He loses the mask because of this. In the comics, he faces the villains God knows how many times and can do whatever he wants. None of them are about to die or are preaching or have a central theme. They'll just come back and try to kill Spider-Man. He just ties them up and they'll return in the few next issues. In a film, the villain is about to die. He has to come or try to come to terms with them. And doing that with that blank emotionless mask won't do it.

Last edited:
Also, you do need Tobey to be there for the fighting.

A lot of the scenes are a stunt guy or body double, most of the time he can only be Spider-Man when he takes off the mask. It couldn't hurt to have him keep it on a little longer, but when it all comes down to the end, you just can't connect to a virtually motionless mask.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"