DC Comic Characters = Unrelatable?

I'd rather live in Opal City.

Saying that Starman, go read. Not relatable? Poppycock!

As cool as gotham city is to read about, i would NEVER want to live there in real life. Gotham looks like a very depressing place to live. Its always dark, crime is higher there than in Baltimore, you've got crazies like the joker, killer croc, two face and poison ivy running around murdering people.... i would much rather live in NY. lol But thats just me.

This...The term "relatability" is merely a smokescreen used by ignorant fanboys who simply dont have the guts to say that they prefer marvel because they simply dont know much about dc besides their preconceived notions
Sounds like something a DC fan would say when Marvel characters object to the overpowered or over-perfect characters. You're the one who assuming peoples preferences are based on inexperience, and because someone doesn't share your opinion they must be ignorant. Yes "relatablility" is often a term that can be used when people lack a better explanation of why the prefer one over the other, just like my dad used to complain of repetitive lyrics in my music, when much of the music he liked was just as repetitive. When I first started reading comics, I read Marvel and DC equally, but I enjoyed the Marvel comics more (with the exception of Teen Titans), and yes I did find it easier to relate to a character who had to worry about his grades than a guy who can move planets with his bare hands, but a lot of that had to do with the quality of writing, and it doesn't mean I'm ignorant of the Superman mythos.

I did find it easier to relate to a character who had to worry about his grades than a guy who can move planets with his bare hands
I know you're probably talking about Spider-Man vs. Superman or something, but... you know... Blue Beetle vs. Thor. I'm just saying.

I know you're probably talking about Spider-Man vs. Superman or something, but... you know... Blue Beetle vs. Thor. I'm just saying.

I liked Blue Beetle, but they killed him off.

Sorry, I mean the current Blue Beetle-- Jaime Reyes. Teenager who has a couple of friends he always hangs out with and has to worry about his grades. He's easily more relatable for some people than Iron Man, Sentry, Thor, Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four, or Hank Pym.

What Manic said.

Sorry, I mean the current Blue Beetle-- Jaime Reyes. Teenager who has a couple of friends he always hangs out with and has to worry about his grades. He's easily more relatable for some people than Iron Man, Sentry, Thor, Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four, or Hank Pym.

Yeah, but guess who that sounds like?

Spider-Man about 30-40 years ago? By the way, I currently find Spider-Man unrelatable.

You can't relate to a man who forsaken his home planet to travel the cosmic skyscape to search out life supporting planets for his master to consume, forever being filled with loneliness you occassionally circumvent by creating black holes?

Wow, you must live in a cave. :o

I don't really like these company vs company things. It doesn't make sense to me.

I look at each character as an individual character. Not a property or member of a certain universe. So saying things like "Well DC characters are less relatable than Marvel characters" or vice versa is just stupid.

It all depends on who YOU are really. Some people could relate to the billionaire philanthropist Bruce Wayne, some people could relate to the nerdy and awkward Peter Parker.

Or all this "I can relate to that character" business can be just thrown out of the window and people can read comics for escapism and just to see and read some awesome ****.

You can't relate to a man who forsaken his home planet to travel the cosmic skyscape to search out life supporting planets for his master to consume, forever being filled with loneliness you occassionally circumvent by creating black holes?

Wow, you must live in a cave. :o

That job sucks, the pay is good, but the hours are murder.

I don't really like these company vs company things. It doesn't make sense to me.

I look at each character as an individual character. Not a property or member of a certain universe. So saying things like "Well DC characters are less relatable than Marvel characters" or vice versa is just stupid.

It all depends on who YOU are really. Some people could relate to the billionaire philanthropist Bruce Wayne, some people could relate to the nerdy and awkward Peter Parker.

Or all this "I can relate to that character" business can be just thrown out of the window and people can read comics for escapism and just to see and read some awesome ****.
:up:

:up:

I really don't care if I can relate to a superhero or not. I want to see them arm wrestle some robot space god from the 5th dimension. Not, whether or not they can get good grades or not, so damn poor they can't pay bills, or reach soap opera level drama, I'm looking at you Identity Crisis.

I think characters are more relatable when their supporting casts are developed as well, or their teammates in the case of team books. It gives heroes a better defined place in their world when you can see why and for whom they fight, and whom they'd have stand at their side.

I think thats' why books like Young Justice, pre OYL Teen Titans, X-Factor and Power Girl seem more atractive than , say, X-Force or JLA these days.

That's a good point. It felt like Brenda, Paco, Peacemaker, Milagro, et al. were almost as responsible for the greatness of Blue Beetle as Jaime himself. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"