Deathstroke Rebirth

Is Slade Wilson really the character to tackle that though? The "don't blame me for your uterus" line wasn't a misogynistic comment IMO. In his fight with his wife he basically said stop *****ing and do something about it. And as formidable as a character as Adeline Kane-Wilson is he has a point. Should she get mad that she's not doing black-ops with Slade? Or should she blow off domestic life and go with him anyway? He said that the ball was in her court and he was right.

The nancy-boy comment was unlikable, I'll give you that one. But was it out of character? Slade Wilson is the type of guy that would raise his sons in a psuedo boot camp after all.
Slade isn't the character to do that, but DC isn't doing it with any character. I think Slade is absolutely a misogynist - he doesn't give a crap that he's able to do back ops because he has a dick and his wife has to stay at home because she has a uterus. I do acknowledge that the most unlikable moments are in flashbacks, and I get the sense that the series is going to develop the consequences of him being an *******.

It seems in character, but having dealt with comments like that throughout my life and hating the people who say them, I'm not sure I want to read this character for fun, despite liking the double-crossing/political aspects of the series. Idk anything about Slade's backstory, maybe Priest will do something interesting with Grant.

I think Slade is absolutely a misogynist - he doesn't give a crap that he's able to do back ops because he has a dick and his wife has to stay at home because she has a uterus. I do acknowledge that the most unlikable moments are in flashbacks, and I get the sense that the series is going to develop the consequences of him being an *******.

She's not benched because she's a woman. She chose to be a stay at home mom and resents him for doing the job that they used to do together.

That's not misogynistic.

Misogynists tend to be threatened by strong women. He married one. Adeline is partially responsible for his spec ops training. They got married before he got roided up with a cocktail of super soldier mutagens. She was every bit his equal, maybe even his better, long after the honeymoon wore off.

It's the same reasoning that mistook his bluntness for racism. The guy doesn't mince words.

He's more than happy to benefit from the gender double standard.

What do you mean?

This guy is an ******* villain, it's almost a given that he's at least complicit with sexism. He tells his son to grow a pair because any sign of femininity means weakness. Nancy is an insult because it's a woman's name.

If Adeline were to go on missions while Slade out of his own volition chose to be a stay at home dad, do you think she'd feel sorry for him?

Slade would never do that because he's hyper-masculine which means doing whatever the **** he wants, choosing violence over domesticity. Adeline is a woman and automatically defaults to the one to nurture and stay with the kids. The hypothetical doesn't really matter since this comic is playing into real world gender stereotypes and tropes.

Slade isn't going on world saving missions, he's going on kill people and make money missions. Look at the preview I just posted,they're exploring his past and it's going to come back and bite him. Slade is many things but he's certainly not misogynistic or racist, his history doesn't align with either and Priest certainly wont make him a racist. But yeah he's a hyper masculine, cold blooded killer who'll value his professionalism and reputation over his wife and kids every day of the week and wont hesitate to ***** you over if it means getting the job done. Similarly his mistreatment of Grant will also have negative consequences, I'm glad that these events are getting fleshed out properly because in the past we've just been told or given quick flashback sequences, Priest is really exploring Slade's past and showing us where he effed up so bad. Adeline herself is an important supporting character in this series, that's actually being generous to her.
I do like the fact that we have a writer who's willing to give us a proper villain series, a lot of the time villains just become heroes themselves these days and others like Harley Quinn are just horribly whitewashed to satisfy homoerotic fantasies.

Last edited:
Well if you equate testicles with strength and use nancy as an insult you've definitely internalized some misogyny.

Yeah Slade might face some consequences but I hardly think this series will be about him learning and being a "better person". I'm not saying he needs to change or that there needs to be a moral, and I'm not passing judgement -- i think these two issues have been well written -- but I don't know personally if I want to read about a character like him. He might be a villain but most of the men where I come from have an attitude just like his. I'm just saying it would be nice if DC had a male protagonist that wasn't a macho man.

Well if you equate testicles with strength and use nancy as an insult you've definitely internalized some misogyny.

Yeah Slade might face some consequences but I hardly think this series will be about him learning and being a "better person". I'm not saying he needs to change or that there needs to be a moral, and I'm not passing judgement -- i think these two issues have been well written -- but I don't know personally if I want to read about a character like him. He might be a villain but most of the men where I come from have an attitude just like his. I'm just saying it would be nice if DC had a male protagonist that wasn't a macho man.

Huh? he's lying to his wife, he goes out to kill people while pretending to do some good for the world (or America). She wants to come along having no clue what he really gets up to, he's not being misogynistic, hell he's using the misogyny excuse to cover up his double life because he knows it's that damn easy. Any misogyny here is from Slade's non existent superiors.

I wouldn't know about Nancy, I've never used it myself, the only other time I even remember reading it in fiction right now is when uncle Vernon said that he didn't want Dudley to be a Nancy boy in some Harry Potter book. Maybe Vernon is also misogynistic, though I recall him being often being put down by his wife and his sister certainly was overbearing upon him.

Yes Slade is a macho guy, yes his hyper masculine but that doesn't automatically make him sexist otherwise as Blue Lantern explained he'd never have bothered marrying Adeline.

He told his son he needs to grow a pair, which means be masculine and not weak and feminine. Honestly, I don't get why this is a debate. This is a man who beats his children, it's no surprise he has sexist attitudes. "Don't blame me for your uterus" = "it's not my fault you have a womb and therefore must be domestic after childbirth". Slade sure undercuts Adeline's agency without acknowledging her complaints. They literally said it was boys only.

Last edited:
He told his son he needs to grow a pair, which means be masculine and not weak and feminine. Honestly, I don't get why this is a debate. This is a man who beats his children, it's no surprise he has sexist attitudes. "Don't blame me for your uterus" = "it's not my fault you have a womb and therefore must be domestic after childbirth". Slade sure undercuts Adeline agency without acknowledging her complaints. They literally said it was boys only.

But he doesn't say that to Joey does he? infact of the two boys Joseph is the meek one whose interests lie in painting and music. Joseph is the son who avoids confrontation, he's the shy boy but he's getting a pass. Grant in contrast has always been a rowdy and rough kid who wants to be tough and badass,independent and cool.
In the context of the issue where it happened Grant did massively ***** up, I assumed he was telling him to obey and have the courage to own up mistakes. I haven't seen him beat up anyone, Grant certainly wouldn't have this sort of attitude if he was subjected to regular beatings.
It was boys only because it's a killing mission, he's lying about what he does, just read the preview I posted on the previous page.

Grant didn't want to go camping and sleep somewhere freezing so his dad calls him an effing nancy, which means he's not strong or tough enough for camping because he's too feminine.

Grant screaming for his dad was a problem and he needs to "grow a pair" because he's being too weak and sensitive.

Slade tells Grant that he was screaming like a girl, because girls are weak and incompetent.

Slade tells Grant he's going to beat him, Grant talks about how all Slade does is sleep with his mom and beat them, and Slade takes off his belt (implying he was going to beat Grant before he ran away).

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that this violent ******* villain has sexist attitudes?

Grant didn't want to go camping and sleep somewhere freezing so his dad calls him an effing nancy, which means he's not strong or tough enough for camping because he's too feminine.

Grant screaming for his dad was a problem and he needs to "grow a pair" because he's being too weak and sensitive.

Slade tells Grant that he was screaming like a girl, because girls are weak and incompetent.

Slade tells Grant he's going to beat him, Grant talks about how all Slade does is sleep with his mom and beat them, and Slade takes off his belt (implying he was going to beat Grant before he ran away).

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that this violent ******* villain has sexist attitudes?

I concede Priest's may well have him become a sexist but it's too early to call him that definitely and he's not been one traditionally. What I do think is that we shouldn't feel too sorry for Grant right now especially since he did wreck the car and insult his old man repeatedly. How Slade interacts with Rose will be a much better indicator of his sexism.

I agree that I can't judge what he's like in the present day (partly because he only interacts with men). He definitely was sexist, but Priest is distinguishing between past and present for a reason.

Even if Grant made a mistake, it's still a disgusting way to handle the situation. He was almost mauled by a bear ffs. But he is a villain so it's what can be expected, I just don't know if I want to read anymore, personally.

You can not read Deathstroke once and walk away from it.

First time through I thought Slade was being a bag of ***** when he hung up on Adeline. Joey was just kidnapped and while she didn't give him details she did say it was an emergency. Going through it a second time, slowly, a character defining moment is revealed. He hung up on Adeline because he was on an extraction op to pull Rose out of a brothel in cartel territory. He also didn't tell his team except for maybe Billy what was up. Does he care about his illegitimate daughter more than his family? Maybe he does. At that point they don't know each other yet (she's only eight years old), so I'm thinking that Slade is driven by guilt here for leaving a daughter to be raised in a brothel.

The transitions from past to present were seamless. And the present day story while slow by itself, was so enriched by the flashbacks that I'm not even mad. Paguluyan's art is straight up Jason Bourne-esque. Precise, effecient, and real violence without being excessive or gratuitous (Rax). The colors also fit the tone of the book well.

Another 10/10 for me.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the book too. I like Slade's "stop complaining and just do it" mindset.

Me too. He's blunt and to the point. He doesn't mince words. He's no type of -ist (racist, sexist, ect) other than pragmatist.

You'll notice that he doesn't really "talk" much. Most if not all of monologue boxes are for Billy or other supporting characters.

He's a man of action. In the present day he does stuff and it's up to the reader to decide whether what he did was right or wrong. Or if he did the wrong thing for the right reasons or the right thing for the wrong reasons.

That's why I really like this book.

Priest is showing us who Slade Wilson is and letting us decide whether he's a straight up villain or an antihero who's unapologetic about his flaws.

My own take - I haven't seen Slade sent against anyone that would leave me inclined to call him a villain.

Clarify Clock King's role in the first issue. I want to be sure I've got it right going forward.

My own take - I haven't seen Slade sent against anyone that would leave me inclined to call him a villain.

Clarify Clock King's role in the first issue. I want to be sure I've got it right going forward.

I wrote a breakdown on the first page. He was a pawn in a game between Slade and a mysterious player referred to as "Admiral" by Matthew "Jazaki" Bland.

This Admiral wanted to get his hands on Slade's old armor, possibly to frame him for something. And he did get the armor.

Slade wanted to get paid for screwing over a genocidal dictator and killing the Clock King. Oh, and stopping said genocide. He didn't know Billy was a POW. Breaking him out sweetened the pot.

#2 was a good issue and I enjoyed it. I think the two earlier issues were better though.

The first issues are more rereadable than the second. Thanks for pointing that all, out, Blue Lantern. I went back to the first issues and it helped a good bit.

What kind of powers does the Clock King possess? I vaguely remember the guy from BTAS; there all I can recall is a rather severe, patrician figure in a fitted suite whose glasses had little clock hands on them. In this one, it almost looks as if he can manipulate time and cast illusions...or is he simply an illusionist that channels his powers into creating illusions based on the concept of time's passing?

The first issues are more rereadable than the second. Thanks for pointing that all, out, Blue Lantern. I went back to the first issues and it helped a good bit.

What kind of powers does the Clock King possess? I vaguely remember the guy from BTAS; there all I can recall is a rather severe, patrician figure in a fitted suite whose glasses had little clock hands on them. In this one, it almost looks as if he can manipulate time and cast illusions...or is he simply an illusionist that channels his powers into creating illusions based on the concept of time's passing?

Well there's definitely something weird going on with that because there seems to be two (one now thanks to Slade Wilson) Clock Kings running around. One is an old white dude way past his prime and suffering from emphysema. Slade killed him for selling out some refugees. The other is a heavy set black dude in his 30's rocking a bowler hat that's extorting a bunch of trust fund babies with some "time stealing" watches. He tried to blackmail Emiko, Oliver Queen's kid sister.

Maybe this is a "glitch in the Matrix" because of Rebirth? Or maybe it's a case of the left hand and right hand not getting each other's message?

Anyway, the Clock King that Slade offed was using illusions and time dilation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"