Detective Pikachu

Can't blame WB on the budget as they were only the distributor, Legendary were the ones who gave the movie $150m.

I do think DP should be one film and they adapt a different game. If they want keep the talking Pokemon theme then Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fits that bill but I think a film that is based on the mainline games but not tied to a specific generation would be better.

Man, I think it's impossible to make a video game adaptation movie. I'm pretty sure something about the way we see the narrative of video games can't translate to a movie format. Because if Poke-freakin-mon can't go gangbusters no video game movie can.

This is now the highest grossing video game movie of all time.

This is now the highest grossing video game movie of all time.

tenor.gif

When Sonic beats u at the dbo

sad-pikachu.gif

When you beat Sonic in ibo and thus in world-wide collections

giphy.webp

Pikachu at the end of the day

giphy.webp

Pikachu didn’t have to deal with a global pandemic
Sonic's box office run was pretty much done by the time the virus shut down theaters globally, China was a big loss for its box office though. Sonic also had an advantage at the box office that Pikachu didn't, which is a complete lack of competition, there was nothing else in theaters that was drawing attention away from Sonic, Pikachu on the other hand had to deal with Avengers: Endgame, and there is no way that Endgame didn't have an impact on Pikachu's box office potential.

Ha, I loved the sonic movie but a huge chunk of that came from Jim Carrey whereas detective pikachu was pretty much all good.

next up an animal crossing movie maybe?

SOnic hasn't opened in China ether....

Then there's Blu-Ray sales starting May 19th, and video on-demand sales starting March 31st.

I still think Pikachu will be the winner, but fingers crossed, Sonic comes close to Pikachu's $400M.

I maintain that attempting a Pokemon like-action movie franchise loosely adapting the first anime movie and the Detective Pikachu game was a mistake.

The basic premise of Pokemon is like an underdog sports movie.

As for Detective Pikachu, the movie itself was painfully average.

I maintain that attempting a Pokemon like-action movie franchise loosely adapting the first anime movie and the Detective Pikachu game was a mistake.

The basic premise of Pokemon is like an underdog sports movie.

As for Detective Pikachu, the movie itself was painfully average.

I mentioned it in another thread and you're right.

I guess you're right. A tournament or a mystery dungeon type of movie probably would have been a better choice. Oh well.

Casting Justice Smith in the lead was also a mistake. I usually don't have annoying lead actor complaints but Justice Smith would be an exception. He grew into the role as the movie progressed but I think the movie would have been better off with another lead. Someone like Tom Holland would have been so cool.

Watched Sonic yesterday and I really liked it.

But it's sort of an uneasy feeling and I don't like that I liked the movie.

I'm feeling vindictive. So I'll re-watch Detective Pikachu so I'm sure that DP>>Sonic. It f**king has to be! I desperately need to be convinced about DP's superiority!

I dunno man. I thought he was quite endearing.

I should clarify that I'm happy for Sonic's success.

But I stanned DP for over a year and it basically vanished into thin air after it's release. DP underachieved while Sonic won against all odds and I may have liked Sonic more than DP. All of this makes me kinda sad and resentful towards Sonic. I had such high hopes for DP to be a breakout :(

Final verdict is Sonic The Hedgehog is a better movie than Detective Pikachu.

Apart from Ryan Reynolds there is very few (probably Kathryn Newton, she was ok) good things in DP while Jim Carrey alone is better than anything in DP.

I mentioned it in another thread and you're right.

Casting Justice Smith in the lead was also a mistake. I usually don't have annoying lead actor complaints but Justice Smith would be an exception. He grew into the role as the movie progressed but I think the movie would have been better off with another lead. Someone like Tom Holland would have been so cool.

Tom Holland and Ryan Reynolds working together would be great.

I liked Justice in the role and it was nice to see someone who looks different than the usual lead a movie like this.

And DP is much better than Sonic to me. Both are “kids movies” but DP is aware that there are adults in the audience where as Sonic just isn’t, as a result my mind wandered a lot. Carey going over the top like it’s the 90s again was fun but not an attention holder. Sonic’s script also needed a few more drafts cause it was just plain boring in a few places.

I liked Justice in the role and it was nice to see someone who looks different than the usual lead a movie like this.

And DP is much better than Sonic to me. Both are “kids movies” but DP is aware that there are adults in the audience where as Sonic just isn’t, as a result my mind wandered a lot. Carey going over the top like it’s the 90s again was fun but not an attention holder. Sonic’s script also needed a few more drafts cause it was just plain boring in a few places.

hmmm? The nods to old games and certain jokes were definitely for adults . Also DP was boring in the middle. For a Pokémon movie I was surprised how boring it was. The mew two fight should of been great but it was missing something. The whole movie felt like it was missing something. Idk what but it should of been more than what it was

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"