Diamond List for May 9th, 2007

Joe Q has become something akin to Inspector Gadget; he is completely inept, but through virtue of allies and luck, always prevails in the end.

Or, MAYBE, he just happens to know what he's doing. Everyone can have a good year. But how long has he been EIC now? 7 years? And I see the numbers going up, not down. Nobody's lucky that long.

New Avengers #30
Marvel Zombies: Dead Days

Bad week. :(

Edit:

Oh I didn't notice

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #2

Not so bad after all. :)

Amazing Spider-girl #8 $2.99
Ghost Rider #11 $2.99
New Avengers #30 Cwi $2.99
Nova #2 Cwi $2.99
Punisher War Journal #7 Cwi $2.99
Spider-man Fantastic Four #2 (of 4) $2.99

Wow. That now makes New Avengers the most popular book being offered this week. With the amount of people who complain about Bendis and what he's done to the Avengers, I'm shocked. I know it's a top seller every month; I just thought those of us on this site would read much better comics than this. (And, yes, I'm getting it, too....but, if I was limited in my funds or the comics I chose to get, there are easily a good 13 comics I'd pick before it.)

IMMORTAL IRON FIST #5 $2.99
NEW AVENGERS #30 CWI $2.99
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #7 CWI $2.99
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #540 $2.99
NEW X-MEN #38 $2.99

Nice week for me. :up:

Countdown #51 $2.99
Dmz #19 (mr) $2.99
Amazing Spider-man #540 $2.99
Immortal Iron Fist #5 $2.99
Thunderbolts #114 Cwi $2.99
Ultimate Power #5 (of 9) $2.99

Wow. That now makes New Avengers the most popular book being offered this week. With the amount of people who complain about Bendis and what he's done to the Avengers, I'm shocked. I know it's a top seller every month; I just thought those of us on this site would read much better comics than this. (And, yes, I'm getting it, too....but, if I was limited in my funds or the comics I chose to get, there are easily a good 13 comics I'd pick before it.)
Like these 13?

COUNTDOWN #51 $2.99
GREEN ARROW #74 $2.99
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #12 $2.99
MYSTERY IN SPACE #8 (OF 8) $3.99
OUTSIDERS #47 $2.99
BLACK PANTHER #27 CWI $2.99
BLADE #9 $2.99
GHOST RIDER #11 $2.99
HULK AND POWER PACK #3 (OF 4) $2.99
MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #24 $2.99
NEW X-MEN #38 $2.99
WOLVERINE ORIGINS #14 $2.99

cuz those all suck ass:cmad::o

Or, MAYBE, he just happens to know what he's doing. Everyone can have a good year. But how long has he been EIC now? 7 years? And I see the numbers going up, not down. Nobody's lucky that long.

Or maybe Marvel fans are bigger gluttons for punishment than DC fans are, and the direct market (i.e. shops) have more faith in Marvel than DC. I am fascinated by the fact that DiDio over at DC has attempted to ape some of the "style" and actions of Joe Q's Marvel, and it's done nothing for DC but provide underwhelming sales. Marvel also has had more mainstream movie success to branch out, and their characters tend to appeal more to the older fan, who is the typical buyer of comics (as in a fan older than 18; few people younger read comics anymore in huge numbers, least Western ones).

I will say, though, that while I commend DC for attempting to starve off the "late comics" issue, interupting arcs with timely filler is backfiring. The reasonable solution would be to crack down a harder work ethic as well as waiting until stories are at least 3/4ths finished before publishing them (most fans would rather the first issue be late, even if that is the most embarassing for a company, and then the rest are on time, vs. the first 1-2 issues being timely and then every subsequent issue gets later, and later, and later). But, that makes too much sense, and so thus will never happen. On either side. Comics are a cottage industry, and that provides it some strengths and weaknesses.

Joe's done some good things, I'll give him that. I'd list them, but no one would really like to talk about them. But he almost cancels them out with "any fan can spot this, why can't a pro?" style blunders and Marvel just reaps in the profits. And I should note, a sales strategy of "one crossover event, year after year" was the 90's ploy. Just writing styles have changed to reflect the 21st century.

To give Bendis credit, NEW AVENGERS has improved in quality since CW, so long as we omit the Hawkeye/Scarlet Witch issue. Granted, that is only relatively compared to earlier issues, but improvement is improvement. When your grades shift from a D+ to a C+ or a B-, that is an improvement, even if there are better.

But, that book, along with MA, is a primer for whatever is happening at Marvel. All the major surges in the universe are felt through those books. Plus, some of us just enjoy fodder to complain about. I at least admit it.

Don't tell me you're about to become like iloveclones, who believes that somehow always defending Marvel and/or exposing fan hypocrisy & logical fallicies will cause us all to go, "damn, you're right!" and turn SHH into a nirvana of positive reviews and sing-a-longs?

Countdown #51 $2.99
Dmz #19 (mr) $2.99
Amazing Spider-man #540 $2.99
Immortal Iron Fist #5 $2.99
Thunderbolts #114 Cwi $2.99
Ultimate Power #5 (of 9) $2.99

Like these 13?

COUNTDOWN #51 $2.99
GREEN ARROW #74 $2.99
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #12 $2.99
MYSTERY IN SPACE #8 (OF 8) $3.99
OUTSIDERS #47 $2.99
BLACK PANTHER #27 CWI $2.99
BLADE #9 $2.99
GHOST RIDER #11 $2.99
HULK AND POWER PACK #3 (OF 4) $2.99
MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #24 $2.99
NEW X-MEN #38 $2.99
WOLVERINE ORIGINS #14 $2.99

cuz those all suck ass

I don't think a man buying Ultimate Power is allowed to call another man's taste in comics bad.

I don't think a man buying Ultimate Power is allowed to call another man's taste in comics bad.

Hey, by process of elimination, ULTIMATE POWER is the best Ultimate book out right now.

Seriously, I actually have been enjoying it. It's nothing groundbreaking, and the JMS chapters are fudging Thor's dialogue, but it's been a straightforward story so far.

Hey, by process of elimination, ULTIMATE POWER is the best Ultimate book out right now.

Seriously, I actually have been enjoying it. It's nothing groundbreaking, and the JMS chapters are fudging Thor's dialogue, but it's been a straightforward story so far.

As hated as it is around these parts,I'm still calling Ultimates 2 the best Ultimate book.

Then again,it's done in 2 weeks.

I don't think anyone who buys ANY Ultimate comics is allowed to call another man's tastes in comics bad.

Pot? Kettle? Anyone?

:yay:

As hated as it is around these parts,I'm still calling Ultimates 2 the best Ultimate book.

Then again,it's done in 2 weeks.

I don't really consider it a true "ongoing" title, but more like a rare, sporatic event. Like Halley's Comet. :o

Writing aside, a book drawn by Greg Land can NEVER be better than anything it's compared to, much less a Bryan Hitch drawn book.

So when did you and Phaedrus tie the knot? I'm assuming there were lilacs. Unless you finally gave into the daffodils that Phaedy Poo wanted to much. Whatever the case, Im sure it was beautiful.:heart:

Or maybe Marvel fans are bigger gluttons for punishment than DC fans are, and the direct market (i.e. shops) have more faith in Marvel than DC. I am fascinated by the fact that DiDio over at DC has attempted to ape some of the "style" and actions of Joe Q's Marvel, and it's done nothing for DC but provide underwhelming sales. Marvel also has had more mainstream movie success to branch out, and their characters tend to appeal more to the older fan, who is the typical buyer of comics (as in a fan older than 18; few people younger read comics anymore in huge numbers, least Western ones).

I will say, though, that while I commend DC for attempting to starve off the "late comics" issue, interupting arcs with timely filler is backfiring. The reasonable solution would be to crack down a harder work ethic as well as waiting until stories are at least 3/4ths finished before publishing them (most fans would rather the first issue be late, even if that is the most embarassing for a company, and then the rest are on time, vs. the first 1-2 issues being timely and then every subsequent issue gets later, and later, and later). But, that makes too much sense, and so thus will never happen. On either side. Comics are a cottage industry, and that provides it some strengths and weaknesses.

Joe's done some good things, I'll give him that. I'd list them, but no one would really like to talk about them. But he almost cancels them out with "any fan can spot this, why can't a pro?" style blunders and Marvel just reaps in the profits. And I should note, a sales strategy of "one crossover event, year after year" was the 90's ploy. Just writing styles have changed to reflect the 21st century.

Dude, how ****ing pretentious can you get? Honestly. You're constantly talking down to comic book fans when the irony of it all is you're one too.

"Or maybe Marvel fans are bigger gluttons for punishment than DC fans are"

Dude, who the **** do you think you are. I mean, I'm definitely one of the most negative people on this board and even I am tiring of your constant negativity and persistant bashing of Marvel comics. For someone who hates the current climate at Marvel, you sure buy a lot of their books. You turn everything into a DC does this and Marvel doesn't debate when its completely and utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

iloveclones point is completely valid and true. We, the fans you seem to look down and degrade constantly are the only ones to blame for the state of comics. A man can't run a successful business on luck for 7 years, thats fact. You can hate who he is, and what he does and says, but at the end of the day he sells comics. Thats something you can't deny. And your directness to say that fans are "gluttons for punishment" or implying that comic book fans have bad taste constantly because they don't read X-Men First Class or whatever **** you think is the holy grail of Marvel comics is ****ing annoying. People buy comics they like, point blank. I may act like an ******* around here spouting off hate on books, but its pretty much just for jest. I couldn't care less if GNR for example reads PWJ, I give people a hard time, but its all in good fun, or at least I hope. But I can't say the same about you. Your pretentiousness and high horse mentality is just aggravating and I can't fathom why people find you to be so "objective" when you're so clearly not.

I aplogize for the rest of you for derailing this thread. Please continue with your business.

So when did you and Phaedrus tie the knot? I'm assuming there were lilacs. Unless you finally gave into the daffodils that Phaedy Poo wanted to much. Whatever the case, Im sure it was beautiful.:heart:

What does my hot, sexy man love have to do with your terrible taste in comics? :huh:

Countdown #51
Gren Arrow #74

I noe, I read Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men, I have no taste. Thank you SHH for showing me that. I've been blind this whole time.

:rolleyes: X 13459

I noe, I read Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men, I have no taste. Thank you SHH for showing me that. I've been blind this whole time.

:rolleyes: X 13459

" :rolleyes: X 13459 " is not as effective as " :whatever: x 13459 ".... just thought I'd point that out.

And personally, I don't really care what people read... as long as they read comics they like... same as I do. Having said that, just because I like certain comics does not mean that everybody should be reading those comics.

I have never made it a secret that my opinion of the Ultimate Universe is nothing more than spoon-fed pablum for those that can't be "bothered" with years of continuity. I have been saying that for 7 years now, and I will continue to do so until the line gets cancelled.

However, when I "make fun" of people for buying the comics, it's exactly what I'm doing...

"Making fun"

So if people want to get "offended" by my remarks, then I'd suggest that they stay in their Mom's basements and NEVER go into the real world, because it's far more offensive out there and their porcelain feelings will get shattered to a much greater degree than anything I ever say on the Hype.

Having said that, please keep on reading comics, as increased sales will "ultimately" mean a longer life for comic books.

Have a nice day.

:yay:

I can't speak for the rest of the people buying NA now, but I just let it go after a while. I was as pissed off as anyone when Bendis tore the Avengers asunder and replaced them with his grim-&-gritty fanboy wet dream, but that was three years ago now. I checked out the first couple issues of NA, decided it was crap, and voiced my discontent to Marvel with my wallet by dropping it. But now, 28 issues later, I've just moved on from that bout of anger over Disassembled and looked at it as a story unto itself rather than a bastardization of the Avengers mythos. I don't get how people can stay angry enough to resolve never to enjoy a comic again on nothing more than principle forever, especially in a serialized medium like comics. NA's now got a better roster, a more interesting concept, and fantastic art, so I got interested in it again on its own merit. New Avengers and Mighty Avengers still aren't the Avengers to me; they never will be. For good Avengers stories, I'm looking forward to Avengers Classic; but for a fun, decent superhero team-up with an idealistic core, NA is pretty entertaining. Just get over it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"