Dick Tracy villains inspiration for Batman villains and other stuff

Arkard

Civilian
Reaction score
Just a thought, we all have heard about the deep inspirations of Dick Tracy for Batman. I am not really a big collector of Tracy, but armed with Google I tracked down a few seem-so-inspirations for Batman villains and other stuff from the strips. Maybe someone here can confirm it?

Joker -
Possibly "The Blank". Know as Frank Redrum (M-U-R-D-E-R backwards), The Blank was nicknamed after a gunshot destroyed his face. This character was a mysterious killer and former gang leader who went to jail for systematically murdering his former gang members who shunned him after his face was mangled. The first Joker story has Joker systematically murdering millionaires, but also going for a judge that put him in jail. He also has a deformed body - a clown like feature, something that would easily fit in a Tracy strip. Possibly Blank was the inspiration for The Joker.
Other possibilities include "The Chameleon": A disguise artist and notorious jewel thief. No explanatio needed. In his first story, the Joker is a master of disguise and steals jewls. And although I do admit it would be streatching it, Cueball could server as minor inspiration, cause he was a jewel thief and a murderer. Strangled victims with leather hatband. Struck and killed by train attempting to elude police.

Two Face -
Goddammit... Kane was such a hack.
http://www.comicspage.com/dicktracy/villains/v-hafandhaf.gif

Ventriloquist and Scarface -
Meh. Who knows?
http://www.comicspage.com/dicktracy/villains/v-momma-midget.gif

Clayface -
Putty Puss: First appearance 1988, a grotesque actor and bank robber who is able to reshape his face. Robbed a bank bearing a striking resemblance to David Letterman… these bullets are the top ten reasons you should give me the money!

Film Freak -
Splitscreen: Lived his life through television. He sat in his chair and had immediate reactions to what he viewed on the tube, crying during soap operas and became increasingly violent during action shows. These reactions had criminal results.

Batmobile -
You all remember Flattop, right? The most famous Tracy villain. Well, he had a son. Flattop Jr. resembles his father, Flattop, in both physical appearance and criminal inclinations. An artist and electronics wizard, Flattop Jr. owned an amazing car (a yellow, Depot Sedan), customized with every necessity to keep ahead of the police: a record player, hot plate, safe and police scanner. He eludes the authorities by driving his super car through cornfields and not on roads.

i'd love a new dick tracy film shot in the same manner as sin city is...

I would love a new Tracy film period. Something close to the strips. Death, suicides, treason, action, gimmicky villains. Pure greatness.

Interesting. Apparently Bill Finger came up with Two-Face after seeing a poster for The Strange Case Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The resemblance between Haf-and-Haf is so strong that it must just be Finger's cover story.

Just a thought, we all have heard about the deep inspirations of Dick Tracy for Batman. I am not really a big collector of Tracy, but armed with Google I tracked down a few seem-so-inspirations for Batman villains and other stuff from the strips. Maybe someone here can confirm it?

Joker -
Possibly "The Blank". Know as Frank Redrum (M-U-R-D-E-R backwards), The Blank was nicknamed after a gunshot destroyed his face. This character was a mysterious killer and former gang leader who went to jail for systematically murdering his former gang members who shunned him after his face was mangled. The first Joker story has Joker systematically murdering millionaires, but also going for a judge that put him in jail. He also has a deformed body - a clown like feature, something that would easily fit in a Tracy strip. Possibly Blank was the inspiration for The Joker.
Other possibilities include "The Chameleon": A disguise artist and notorious jewel thief. No explanatio needed. In his first story, the Joker is a master of disguise and steals jewls. And although I do admit it would be streatching it, Cueball could server as minor inspiration, cause he was a jewel thief and a murderer. Strangled victims with leather hatband. Struck and killed by train attempting to elude police.

Two Face -
Goddammit... Kane was such a hack.
http://www.comicspage.com/dicktracy/villains/v-hafandhaf.gif

Ventriloquist and Scarface -
Meh. Who knows?
http://www.comicspage.com/dicktracy/villains/v-momma-midget.gif

Clayface -
Putty Puss: First appearance 1988, a grotesque actor and bank robber who is able to reshape his face. Robbed a bank bearing a striking resemblance to David Letterman… these bullets are the top ten reasons you should give me the money!

Film Freak -
Splitscreen: Lived his life through television. He sat in his chair and had immediate reactions to what he viewed on the tube, crying during soap operas and became increasingly violent during action shows. These reactions had criminal results.

Batmobile -
You all remember Flattop, right? The most famous Tracy villain. Well, he had a son. Flattop Jr. resembles his father, Flattop, in both physical appearance and criminal inclinations. An artist and electronics wizard, Flattop Jr. owned an amazing car (a yellow, Depot Sedan), customized with every necessity to keep ahead of the police: a record player, hot plate, safe and police scanner. He eludes the authorities by driving his super car through cornfields and not on roads.
Most of those are a stretch. Half-and-half, of course, is a pretty obvious connection, but the rest are pretty tenuous. In fact, the Clayface one, you said he debuted in 1988!

I'd use a term a little bit different from "inspiration" to describe that relationship.

I think there was a Tracy villain who looked similar to The Penguin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"