Did Elfman Rip Off the SM Theme?

keith_v

Sidekick
Reaction score
I listened to this piece for a music class in school. It was written I think back in the fifties, but I couldn't think of why it sounded so familiar. Then it hit me. Listen from about when it hits 3:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[YT]KKPBtZ0Zzok[/YT]

Then listen to the SM theme at about 30 seconds into it. And then when it hits the 2:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Don't get me wrong, I love the Elfman theme, and feel it's one of the best themes in a film ever. But the two pieces sound so similar in certain parts. Maybe it's just me.

By the way, that second vid is amazing.:up:

They did good.

oh...damn, forgot about those things.

still not hip to this new youtube on the hype feature.

oh...damn, forgot about those things.

still not hip to this new youtube on the hype feature.

It's not quite a cut smile, but I'm sure we'll all get used to it eventually.

I would just rather they use a specific Youtube tag instead of the Hide and Show ones. It looks more like a big spoiler than a video.

Debussy is one of Elfman's heroes. He wasn't ripping him off. It's a simple homage. Just like Elfman's Mars Attacks score was a homage to Bernard Herrmann.

The only times it sounded like the Spidey theme are at the 3:10 and 2:40 marks.

the first one is crashing the hell out of my Firefox...ah well hopefully it wasn't worth listening to.

The highschool one sounds great for a high school orchestra, about half way through it sounds meh, but that could be the camera picking up the brass instruments.

The first one can be heard at the end of the film Ocean's 11 when Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and crew are looking at the fountain going off after completing their heist.

-R

The first one can be heard at the end of the film Ocean's 11 when Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and crew are looking at the fountain going off after completing their heist.

-R
yep yep...oceans 11=pwnage....also that second video=pwnage

A lot of Elman's stuff resembles or is an almost direct copy of other scores/concert pieces. The responsibility theme from Spider-Man is from Blankman. The main theme might be from something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"