"Dinosaur Mummy" Found; Has Intact Skin, Tissue

Heed Malcom's words of Chaos Theory! My mind is telling me that. The little kid in my heart is jumping up and down screaming "Awesome!".

uni of manchester for the win! I might head to the dino museum there tomorrow!

eh, it's a herbivore. what's it gonna do when it breaks loose and starts rampaging? spit water at us? lame. why couldn't it have been one of the crazier dinos, one that just don't give a ****.

LMFAO!

Yeah, I agree with people saying that they should clone it, but naturally it wouldn't be a great idea to just let it run loose... Maybe they should, I don't know, come up with some sort zoo, a "jurassic zoo" if you will. On second thought, the name's not so good. Heh, guess I'll have to leave it to the professionals to come up with a better one. Anyway, that's my idea and I'm sure no bad will possibly come of it.

uni of manchester for the win! I might head to the dino museum there tomorrow!

Them craft mancunians :D

I think I would probabley ruin my underwear if I saw a real life dinosaur

If they clone it, there should be a documentary about the process of cloning Dino DNA.

Bingo!

If they clone it, there should be a documentary about the process of cloning Dino DNA.

Bingo!

oldman.jpg

I hate to ruin everyone's party here, but I should point out that dinosaur "mummies" from 65+ million years ago are NOT like Egyptian mummies from 2000 years ago.

Dinosaur mummies are still fossils, and thus are made of stone. However, whereas a normal dinosaur fossil is just a stone cast of the bones, a dinosaur mummy includes fossils of the skin, muscle structure and possibly organs.

So while you can't tell skin color or get fresher DNA samples from a dino mummy, you can tell important things like skin texture, muscle size and internal anatomy. It's still pretty cool, just not as cool as a 10-ton pile of dinosaur jerky would be.

It was planted there by Xenu. Or atheists. The earth began 7,000 years ago.

John Roach
for National Geographic News

December 3, 2007
Scientists today announced the discovery of an extraordinarily preserved "dinosaur mummy" with much of its tissues and bones still encased in an uncollapsed envelope of skin.

Preliminary studies of the 67-million-year-old hadrosaur, named Dakota, are already altering theories of what the ancient creatures' skin looked like and how quickly they moved, project researchers say.

Further investigations may reveal detailed information about soft tissues, which could help unlock secrets about the evolution of dinosaurs and their descendents, the scientists added.

For now, the team continues to examine the rare specimen, which included preserved tendons and ligaments, and to prepare scientific articles on the find for publication.

"This specimen exceeds the jackpot," said excavation leader Phillip Manning, a paleontologist at Britain's University of Manchester and a National Geographic Expeditions Council grantee.

Most dinosaurs are known only from their bones, which are seldom found joined together as they would be in real life.

But "we're looking at a three-dimensional skin envelope," Manning said. "In many places it's complete and intact—around the tail, arms, and legs and part of the body."

(The excavation is the subject of Dino Autopsy, a National Geographic Channel special airing December 9 at 9 p.m. ET/10 p.m. PT. The National Geographic Society owns National Geographic News and co-owns the National Geographic Channel.)

Find of a Lifetime

The hadrosaur, or duck-billed dinosaur, was discovered in 1999 by then-teenage paleontologist Tyler Lyson on his family's North Dakota property.

It was an extremely fortuitous find, because the odds of mummification are slim, researchers noted.

First the dinosaur body had to escape predators, scavengers, and degradation by weather and water. Then a chemical process must have mineralized the tissue before bacteria ate it. And finally, the remains had to survive millions of years undamaged.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/12/071203-dino-mummy.html
yeah....It'd be so awseme if they can clone it and makea dinosaur alive!

of this happens this is going right on my list of wut to see before i die!! :woot::up:

It was planted there by Xenu. Or atheists. The earth began 7,000 years ago.

Yeah. I do wonder what effect this will have on those "fossils are just rocks put there by God" people.

I hate to ruin everyone's party here, but I should point out that dinosaur "mummies" from 65+ million years ago are NOT like Egyptian mummies from 2000 years ago.

Dinosaur mummies are still fossils, and thus are made of stone. However, whereas a normal dinosaur fossil is just a stone cast of the bones, a dinosaur mummy includes fossils of the skin, muscle structure and possibly organs.

So while you can't tell skin color or get fresher DNA samples from a dino mummy, you can tell important things like skin texture, muscle size and internal anatomy. It's still pretty cool, just not as cool as a 10-ton pile of dinosaur jerky would be.
well......the DNA might be solid by now.....maybe if they can figure out a way to make it normal agian....like..copy it (that'd take years) but then yeh...put it in a ostrich egg. POut some Crocodile stuff in it and *John Madden voice* BOOM!!! *John Madden voice exit* we got a dino :up:

The 6 year old kid inside me is jupping up and down screaming YEAH!

Exactly. :up: Thanks for pointing that out, saved me the trouble.

I read, though, that they can tell a difference in the pattern of the skin based on the shape of the scales. So, while they can't tell exact color, they do think the dino was striped...they also noted that that sort of pattern often coincides with color-changing abilities in extant reptile species.

jeff_goldblum.jpg

Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

jag

"God creates dinosaur. God destroys dinosaur. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaur."

I'm stunned with how many people are apparently all for cloning dinosaurs. I'll harken back to my (unanswered) question from the "Could Frankenstein's monster be possible?" thread: What purpose would it serve? It's the Ian Malcolm quote all over again :-)up: to jag).

They should clone the mammoth and this dino and make them fight. That is all.

I'm glad someone else pointed that out. :up:

Dinosaur " jesus a mummy?"
Other Dinosaur " who's Jesus?"
Jesus " there are NO Dinosaurs"
:woot:
Cloning has proved to be very successful in past experiments, now that they have skin tissue, its more than enough to clone another one of its kind, but the problem is they need an egg cell from another species known today that can match the DNA needed.
Frogs are a good resource.:cwink:
we could learn soo much more about them if they were living.
Like what?:yay:
maybe in some sort of park?
some sort of park that would house species from the late Jurassic?
some sort of " Jurassic Park " if you will.
OMG, You're a magnificent bastard! :wow:
I'm stunned with how many people are apparently all for cloning dinosaurs. I'll harken back to my (unanswered) question from the "Could Frankenstein's monster be possible?" thread: What purpose would it serve? It's the Ian Malcolm quote all over again :-)up: to jag).
We don't need a purpose, because its a dinosaur!!!!!!!!!!!:word:
I'm glad someone else pointed that out. :up:
I am and I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"