• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Rises Discussing the Third Movie and 3D

IMAX only is definitely the best choice for filming this film. 3D would ruin it.

^ If shot in 3D, as in with James Cameron's 3D fusion camera, then the tech will not ruin the movie. But it wont make the movie better either. It seems kinda uncalled for.. With superman and spiderman I can definitely see the huge potential and REASON as to shoot it in 3D. But it's different with batman. There, it's the story that truely makes the film. So shoot it all in IMAX and that'll be enough.

It's still way too economically/logistically/physically difficult to shoot an entire feature in IMAX, despite technological advancements in other areas. Not that it absolutely can't be done, but it would drastically affect the entire production workflow possibly to a point where it's more trouble (and cost) than it's worth.

Best choice image-wise, perhaps. Maybe not so much workflow-/logistics-wise...which is just as important. That's what's really going to have to be determined beforehand.

If it's shot in 3D, I hope it will be more for depth, than gimmick.

^Same here. WB wouldn't dare.

Would they? :csad:

If they do, you would think they learned their lessons with BF/B&R by interfering...

It's stupid, but it won't affect the movie really. Kinda like how Avatar was still a shallow movie despite the 3D.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. I don't think WB is stupid enough to force Nolan to do something he doesn't want to do. I mean, from a business standpoint Batman 3 doesn't need it, it's a guaranteed success.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=23151

I'm just gonna leave this here and bail before the ****storm.
This is a few days old, it was discussed in the Info Hunters thread. Here's a video of Nolan talking about 3D at a press conference last week:
http://batman-news.com/2010/09/25/warner-bros-wants-batman-in-3d/

He said he's currently looking into 3D technology...but he has his doubts. He thinks IMAX is better suited for the type of movie he wants to make. Still...it wouldn't surprise me if WB put pressure on him to make it 3D. I bet a lot of the movies in 2012 will be released in 3D.

Last edited:
Didn't we already discuss this in the 'Info Hunters' thread?

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=327417&page=4

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=18955293&postcount=4071

As we discussed there, I think if WB tries to force anything on him that he ultimately doesn't want to do, he'll simply walk. The franchise needs him more than he needs it at this point.
Yeah it's up to the mods to keep this open. Might want to have a thread dedicated to Batman in 3D, though I think the consensus is we don't want to see Batman in 3D.

Hopefully this doesn't happen. If it does that means I won't be able to watch the next Batman film on Imax since they don't show 2D versions.

Why must every studio jump on the "lets try to make as much money as Avatar by increasing ticket sale prices" bandwagon. I get that they want to make money of course, it is a business in the end, but if Nolan were to shoot this all with an Imax camera it would stir up some word of mouth and those ticket prices are a lot more expensive than 3D prices on a regular screen.

Is it just me or is Batman not a character that necessarily would benefit or be "cool" or "special" in 3D? I think it's unnecessary with this type of character to where the only people who would want to see it in 3D are the saps who think every film is better in 3D.

It might mean there wont BE another Batman film....at least not with Nolan if he doesn't want to do it in 3D.

Oh please. Nolan delivered them two blockbuster masterpieces in a row. Like hell they are going to "force" him to do anything.

It might mean there wont BE another Batman film....at least not with Nolan if he doesn't want to do it in 3D.
I really hope WB wouldn't stupid enough to push Nolan that far...

Considering the money that he's made the studio over the last six years or so, the critical and public acclaim his films have garnered, and the fact that they've tapped him to steer Superman in the right direction as well...I would assume that he has a very strong voice in terms of overall creative decision-making....including 3D conversion et al.

Then again, we are talking about the tentpole franchises for the studio here. So if 3D really is a money-maker, it'd be very difficult to let that go for such high-ticket titles. If there's a possible opportunity for their biggest money-makers to make even more, from a business standpoint it behooves them to at least look seriously into it.

Unfortunately.

Then again, we are talking about the tentpole franchises for the studio here. So if 3D really is a money-maker, it'd be very difficult to let that go for such high-ticket titles. if here's a possible opportunity for you biggest money-makers to make even more, from a business standpoint it's behooves them to at least look seriously into it.

Unfortunately.

Hit the nail on the head there. Plus we're still 2 years away. What if by 2012 3D is everywhere? Batman 3 would stick out like a sore thumb if it were the only summer movie released in just 2D.

Heh. You give way too much credit to movie studios.

Especially the movie studio that gave us Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.
Ha! That's right...Batman & Robin especially right? Didn't WB push Schumacher to make a lot of changes & make it more kid friendly?

Hit the nail on the head there. Plus we're still 2 years away. What if by 2012 3D is everywhere? Batman 3 would stick out like a sore thumb if it were the only summer movie released in just 2D.

Ha! That's right...Batman & Robin especially right? Didn't WB push Schumacher to make a lot of changes & make it more kid friendly?

I think so.

To sell more toys.

If Nolan ends up walking away, then so be it...personally, I'm completely satisfied with just the two Batman movies he did to hold me over for a long while. It would be too bad, but at the same time, I'm sure he'll get over it pretty easily, since he's got a lot more movies to make during his career, and already a track record that will makes the future look bright, even with the fallout from something like an aborted Batman movie. He'll be fine, it's just some Batman fans that will ultimately feel shafted.

Nolan won't shoot in 3D, he's more of a proponent of IMAX. Regardless, WB will convert the film to get even more money from inflated ticket sales. So, Batman 3 will be in 3D with or without Nolan. There will be a standard release in 2D and the IMAX version will be converted to 3D. The catch will be that majority, if not all of the film, will be shot in 70mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"