Discussion: Labor, Unions, and Workers' Rights

Never tried it myself, but I've always heard it was terrible.
We were backpacking/hiking in Point Reyes and someone brought some. I also found a can of Buckhorn beer in the ocean. It had a little bit of a salty taste, but I was okay with that....

Parents brainwash their kids into becoming all day child labor for content $$$ so yes it should also be cracked down on.
So, I had to relocate from Los Angeles to a small town in Oregon. The farming industry is dependent on child labor. You could take a break when you wanted, but if you didn't pick enough strawberries or beans or whatever, you were uninvited to return. We were picked up by a bus at 5AM, transported to the fields, got a lunch break, and finished up around 2PM. After that, we were all dropped off downtown (for cost saving measures) where we would make our way back home. Unfortunately, I lived about 10 miles out of town, but was luckily able to catch a ride with some other folks.

One year, they had an extended growing season due to good weather and they delayed opening of classes to accommodate this boon. Hey, priorities are priorities.....

We didn't have a lot of money and, at the age of 12, I contributed this to the family finances so we could get by. I was able to buy a dog, so I was pretty happy about having that company. Back in those days, you didn't get a lot of love from the locals if you were from LA.

AWWWWWWWWESOME.......

When you have people working in close proximity, it makes organizing campaigns much easier. When you consider that the UAW has made considerable inroads WRT working conditions and pay, that really opens up a lane for a successful campaign. I suspect there will be a lot of autoworkers unionizing.

Interestingly enough (well, for some...LOL), I worked with what was then the Graduate Student Employees Association at the University of California Santa Cruz back in the mid/late 1990s just before they associated with the UAW. A really, really great group of people. They got their first contract in the early 2000s and paved the way for a much better life for those who followed.

I also made a friend in their union who probably has had a slightly more illustrious career than I did.

She loved kayaking in the Monterey Bay, generally spent her winters in Antarctica (their summer), and we both dog sat a monstrous Chesapeake Bay Retriever named "Boulder". Boulder's idea of a stick was any 2x4 that he could find and commonly dented the side of my car with it. His other "toy" was a small tree in my front yard that he managed to uproot. :funny:

If I were the Dems, I would have made any support for him dependent on bringing a rational border policy floor vote. It would have only been contingent on bringing it to the floor. That forces repubs to vote against it if they didn't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"