Endgame Do they have to die? (Cap, Thor, Iron Man)

Reaction score
Is there a scenario by which Captain America, Thor and Iron Man do survive Avengers 4 and simply retire without dying? It does feel cliched to kill off characters to end their arcs. Does a happy ending really not compute with everyone especially supereroes?

Plus now that Galactus can exist in the MCU, it feels wrong to remove the heavy hitters now before giving them a shot at Galactus. Just imagine a scenario by which Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and RDJ retiring from the MCU with their characters simply retreating to simpler lives (like for example a family for Tony/Pepper and Steve going back in time to the 40's to be with Peggy and Thor going off to rule New Asgard with Valkyrie taking his place among The Avengers).

Then 10-15+ years later, when the nostalgia for the Phase 1 days is strong and after the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and New Avengers etc etc had a few movies under their belt, they bring RDJ, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth back to the MCU for one last hurrah against Galactus. That to me is how you sell a MCU Galactus movie to the casual masses especially after seeing how they sold Infinity War as the "be all end all".

Anyone have thoughts on how MCU Galactus can be sold to the masses who could check out of the MCU after Avengers 4? I essentially thought up something akin to how Disney sold The Force Awakens.

Sure they can survive, besides Ragnarok and Thanos everybody has survived, even without a known power Bucky turns out to survive WWII. But then the purpose to kill off a character is to signal while they have technology or are enhanced by science/alien we are not dealing with Superman so there is risk and the character is doing something actual heroic.

As for Galactus, he doesn't have to be sold. Marvel will sell the next adventures of its heroes and the critics will chime in on whether or not he was a worthy villain.

I could see cap retiring. That way he could probably just do the odd cameo every now and then. I think tony might go sadly unless they wanted to bring him back as an AI which would be expensive. Hemsworth will definitely come back I reckon

Is there a scenario by which Captain America, Thor and Iron Man do survive Avengers 4 and simply retire without dying? It does feel cliched to kill off characters to end their arcs.

Cap and Thor I could agree, but this would be the third time in a row they tried to end Stark's arc with a happy retirement.

I'm in the minority but... Yeah I don't think they will kill any of those listed. The actors will retire from the part perhaps (I mean... It seems Hemsworth at least has a fire in his belly to continue with Thor) and the character shelved for a while but no, they won't kill any of them. They certainly won't bring back the actors in 10 to 15 years for Galactus. That makes little sense to me.

Tony and Steve are both responsible for the Civil War, which divided the Avengers and made Thanos' victory possible. They both must die.

So when discussing the movie on Twitter, the Russos said that the Infinity Gauntlet takes a physical cost on those who use all the Gems at once, which is why the Gauntlet itself was damaged when Thanos did the snap.

My guess? With that rule established, one of the Avengers is gonna have to sacrifice their life to use the Gauntlet to undo Thanos' massacre and bring back everyone else who got dusted.

So when discussing the movie on Twitter, the Russos said that the Infinity Gauntlet takes a physical cost on those who use all the Gems at once, which is why the Gauntlet itself was damaged when Thanos did the snap.

My guess? With that rule established, one of the Avengers is gonna have to sacrifice their life to use the Gauntlet to undo Thanos' massacre and bring back everyone else who got dusted.

Bingo.

Cap or Tony, it’s inevitable IMO. Bookmarked this thread.

I'm in the minority but... Yeah I don't think they will kill any of those listed. The actors will retire from the part perhaps (I mean... It seems Hemsworth at least has a fire in his belly to continue with Thor) and the character shelved for a while but no, they won't kill any of them. They certainly won't bring back the actors in 10 to 15 years for Galactus. That makes little sense to me.

It's Galactus. If they were to go out, go big with Galactus with everyone on board, be it the Avengers, the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

I'd prefer

Cap retires or only fights the good fight.

Stark retires becomes a family member aiding heroes with tech and intel.

Thor protect the galaxy be a king of whatever Asgardians are left.

but Cap or Stark will die.

Captain america
Iron man
Thor
Hulk
Hawkeye
Black Widow
War Machine
Vision
Falcon
Scarlet Witch
Spiderman
Bucky
Black Panther
Antman
Wasp
Dr Strange
Cap Marvel
+ 7 Guardians

24 characters. Who will definitively die and wo will survive for Phase 4

I want Cap Thor Tony to interact with future characters (X-men ,F4) I dont want they die in next installement

Bingo.

Cap or Tony, it’s inevitable IMO. Bookmarked this thread.

Neither Cap nor Tony should be able to wield even one Infinity Stone, let alone all six. Even half Celestial Star Lord would have died if not getting help from the others in his team.

It's Galactus. If they were to go out, go big with Galactus with everyone on board, be it the Avengers, the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Even in the comics Galactus has been driven off without the combined might of every character required.

Mjölnir;36899325 said:
Neither Cap nor Tony should be able to wield even one Infinity Stone, let alone all six. Even half Celestial Star Lord would have died if not getting help from the others in his team.

Strange used the Time Stone all by himself.

Strange used the Time Stone all by himself.

True, but it's cased in an artifact that requires magic to access it (the very point of it seems to be to allow mortal sorcerers to use it without perishing) and the times we've seen mortals touch the Stones themselves things haven't gone too well. The Gauntlet just looks to imbue the wearer with it's power as we see Thanos have a sensation like "the Quickening" every time he gets a stone and we see effects on his skin, so to me it looks less like the Eye of Agamotto and more like a way to just access the Stones simultaneously.

Of course this is comic book stuff so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but that's at least my interpretation of what we've seen this far.

Mjölnir;36899325 said:

That was a raw power stone touched for the first time, with no understanding of how to control it.

It's possible that each stone reacts differently when touched, and combined they restrict one from over powering another. Plus when placed in the gauntlet it would be no different than touching Loki's scepter, or Ronan's hammer, or Vision.

Also I don't think Stark dies. They need Stark Industries to much. Pym tech is gone. SHIELD is gone, Reed Richard's doesn't exist (yet). Tony dying leaves Wakanda as the sole source for positive use Tech in the MCU.

Cap may die a warrior though and be martyred later. I could see his death being used as a reason to create SWORD or some other agency.

I think Thor is definitely safe. Imo, one of either Cap or Iron Man needs to go permanently as much as it will suck.

What I think happens in A4:

Cap dies
Tony marries Pepper
Thor settles his people on earth

Nobody big is going to die. Especially with the Fox deal, the theme parks, and all the merchandise they're still selling?

Thor isn't dying, that's a given.
Cap would most likely retire, no way does Marvel kill off the symbol of Marvel

Iron Man isn't dying. The closest to death was Thanos stabbing him. He'll marry and retire, or stick around for more team up movies. $10 million for less than a months work? Easy money.

All of that sounds like more reasons why at least one of them is gonna die. Killing off a character doesn't preclude them from being featured in merchandise/theme parks/ or any of that, and the fact that they've already introduced a new wave of immensely popular characters and are about to get back the X-Men makes the need for all of them to stick around even less likely. All the better if they don't have to pay someone 40 million dollars a movie just to show up.

I'll reiterate my previous point: no way would the Russos introduce the idea that wielding the Infinity Gauntlet takes a massive physical cost and harms the wearer if that were not going to come into play for the finale. That's some of the most blatant foreshadowing I've seen in quite some time.

Uncle Walt called to say quick find a body builder and paint him blue gray, time for a quick reshoot

Last edited:
It might be time for Captain America to go.

Tony will retire the suit, but might still contribute tech.

Thor is safe.

I think it could go a few ways.

Cap dies. Tony, Thor and Hulk live.

Tony dies. Cap, Thor and Hulk live.

Tony and Cap die. Hulk and Thor live.

They all die.

They all survive and ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:
All of that sounds like more reasons why at least one of them is gonna die. Killing off a character doesn't preclude them from being featured in merchandise/theme parks/ or any of that, and the fact that they've already introduced a new wave of immensely popular characters and are about to get back the X-Men makes the need for all of them to stick around even less likely. All the better if they don't have to pay someone 40 million dollars a movie just to show up.

I'll reiterate my previous point: no way would the Russos introduce the idea that wielding the Infinity Gauntlet takes a massive physical cost and harms the wearer if that were not going to come into play for the finale. That's some of the most blatant foreshadowing I've seen in quite some time.

Where was the foreshadowing? In the movie or in an interview? What you're talking about is only speculation.

For example everyone was certain the Soul Stone was in Wakanda, from it being in the meteor to it being housed somewhere, the reason why Black Panther could talk to his deceased lover ones and the reason Thanos goes there. That was speculation.

Foreshadowing was when Star Lord was talking to Thor about the Soul Stone and the camera went to Gamora, right there I knew she had something to do with the Soul Stone and not Wakanda.

Characters like Yondu will die, bigger characters? Not a chance. How many times has War Machine been speculated to die in the next movie and Marvel hasn't pulled the trigger?

They already killed half the characters in this movie, they're going to pull the same gag again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"