Do You Have Faith In James Gunn’s New DCU?

Does a single human being think he is trying to launchpad a Metamorpho movie? It is so incredibly easy to see what Gunn is actually going with those characters if you look at Gunn's style of filmmaking and storytelling. It ain't Wonder Woman and Batman who are in the supporting cast of this movie, it is a bunch of B and C list dorks.

Gunn's CBMs have big casts. It is part of his style.

Hey, if Anthony Carrigan might want to have a little hope in a spin-off, let him! :D

Does a single human being think he is trying to launchpad a Metamorpho movie? It is so incredibly easy to see what Gunn is actually going with those characters if you look at Gunn's style of filmmaking and storytelling. It ain't Wonder Woman and Batman who are in the supporting cast of this movie, it is a bunch of B and C list dorks.

Gunn's CBMs have big casts. It is part of his style.
True, and I kind of like that element.

Having an ensemble cast also gives Gunn a chance to show how Superman can inspire everyday people as well as super heroes a like. I can see Guy Gardner being a somewhat morally questionable hero in the beginning but by the end he follows Supermans example.

It also establishishes what he's been saying all along that in this new DCU Heroes have been operating for Decades. Which allows for more fluid story telling in the wider universe because you don't waste time with origin stories.

I don't think Gunn is the right person to be co-head of DC Studios. His Phase 1 schedule is too big and too made up of what seems to be his favs but probably won't appeal to general audiences. Does he read the room? Does Zaslav? The heyday of superhero films is over and yet they seem oblivious to that. His recent remarks about a world map for the characters is like re-arranging chairs on the Titanic. It's irrelevant. Many of these projects may never come to fruition. Focus first on launching the DCU with a few great projects - then he can worry about his map.

The fact that Superman Legacy seems to be morphing from a standalone Superman film into an ensemble film is a red flag. Fans want a Superman film but it's as if Gunn is oblivious to this. Or Zaslav - some reports suggest Zaslav is forcing the overstuffing of Superman Legacy but either way it's going to backfire. Look what happened when Snyder added all those characters to BvS. How many lines did Cavill's Superman get in that film? At least with Snyder we got a proper standalone Superman film before things went off the rail.

Are they supposed to… not make comic book ****? It’s DC and they’re a production company lol they’re not gonna stop. The “take a break” takes will forever be futile

You seem like the type that’d criticize Gunn if he didn’t have some laid out vision beyond a couple projects tbh lol
They can have ideas and plans for their future while still still focusing heavily on approaching releases, like they’re already doing w CC and Legacy. Them having announced a Booster Gold series doesn’t make Legacy less of a priority

The first 10 projects will likely be a 5 year outing if all goes well. That’s reasonable imo. The only real niche projects are CC and The Authority, so this idea that he’s tapping into some massively unknown **** is false. Lots of people like… Superman, Batman, Robin, GL, etc.

Wdym morphing into? We knew this movie was gonna be about Kent early in his career as a reporter and a hero and there’d be other established heroes. Then Gunn announced said heroes and people whined about it. Nothing suggests the film isn’t about Kent now. It only suggests that Kent will be in scenarios we’ve never seen on film… that’s good!

Casting actors as characters that you’re aware of doesn’t mean they’ll have 15s cameos tacked on like BvS. “All those characters” didn’t take dialogue and development away from Cavill. Batman did that. Lane did that. The vapid and convoluted script did that. There’s no way you’re trying to equate the final execution of something by an entirely different creative team from 10 years ago to actors just being hired lol all they did was hire people and you say it’s off the rails

I'm guessing the box office returns of the summer are making WB reconsider their slate.

If I were them, I'd focus more than anything to make sure that each property has a really strong selling point. Be it the art direction (Spider-Verse) or subject matter (Barbie).

A well-executed 'traditional' superhero film (Blue Beetle) is not what the industry needs right now. With Gunn's love of Donner, my fear was that he was going to just create a modern 'normal' Superman movie, in response to the MOS and the DCEU, but I don't think that's enough (Even me as a Superman fan, while a part of me was delighted to see a modernised 'normal' take on Superman in MAWS, I've already stopped watching because I've also had my 'normal' superhero fill).

So I'm glad to see the inclusion of these heroes, just because it will likely mean a different ball game than what we've seen before.

But I imagine it can go one of two ways. Either he'll be able to create something fresh, really fleshing out the setting of this magical DC universe from the get, an alternate history with superheroes, dozens of heroes flying in the sky at all times (ala Kingdom Come), and structure a superhero film (and the start of a universe) in a way we've never seen before, which may communicate to general audiences that superhero films (and Superman) need not be generic, creating a second wind for this superhero movie renaissance.

Or, the inclusion of all these heroes will dilute whatever appeal a modernised hopeful Superman movie will have, and general audiences who are already feeling superhero fatigue will simply take one look at this universe with JLIs and JLUs and Authorities and Stormwatches and go, "na...I'm good".

Im not convinced that Gunn wants to use previous actors from the old DCEU to return to their original characters like the actors of Deathstroke Harley Quinn or Amanda Waller i feel like that doesnt feel like a true reboot but we have to wait and see what happens and see how those characters are introduced

Well, we already know that Viola Davis will be playing Amanda Waller again, so of those three that you mentioned, at least one is returning. May be a different take, but still Waller.

My guess is anyone that appeared in TSS or Peacemaker is on the table to return. I enjoyed both of those so I'm not tripping about the weird continuity. It is what it is.

Zero faith. Why not just reboot the entire thing? It such a mess. Certain characters from this franchise are staying. The entire DCEU needs to be scrapped. Luckily, I'm older now and don't care as much, but it still sucks to see your favorite characters, suck on the big screen.

We really only have like 4 characters confirmed to carry over and they're all Gunn directed characters. Davis as Waller, Cena as Peacemaker, Sean Gunn as Weasel, and Xolo as Blue beetle. They only have the loosest connection to the DCEU. I'm sure it won't be that big of a distraction. I think Superman Legacy will change a lot of minds.

We really only have like 4 characters confirmed to carry over and they're all Gunn directed characters. Davis as Waller, Cena as Peacemaker, Sean Gunn as Weasel, and Xolo as Blue beetle. They only have the loosest connection to the DCEU. I'm sure it won't be that big of a distraction. I think Superman Legacy will change a lot of minds.
Then you have the stupidity of possibly hiring Jason Momoa for another role. DC just has no fresh and creative ideas. Should turn the comic Justice League Vs Kong Vs Godzilla into a movie. It needs to take chances like those.

I'd personally love to see Mamoa as Lobo. He'd be perfect. I don't see it as any different than any actor who played someone pre mcu then joining as another character. Imo too many great DC characters out there that deserve a shot or at least redemption. But that's just me.

I'd personally love to see Mamoa as Lobo. He'd be perfect. I don't see it as any different than any actor who played someone pre mcu then joining as another character. Imo too many great DC characters out there that deserve a shot or at least redemption. But that's just me.
I don't particularly care what Marvel does, but Momoa while a probably a good fit for Lobo, just proves how miscast he was for Aquaman, because it'll be pretty similar characters and his lack of acting range will show. There are thousands of actors in this world who can crush any role. No need to be lazy.

Has that actually happened often? Actors like those who were in No Way Home or Multiverse of Madness are just playing different versions or, in the case of Maguire and Holland, the same version of that character, not someone completely different. At best, maybe Evan Peters on Wandavision, even though that was more of a joke? Or Aubrey Plaza in the Agatha show, but then, Legion was so far away of being its own thing in the X-Men universe with no connections to the movies. Even in the case of Josh Brolin, he'd appeared as Thanos well before he played Cable.

If anything, it's been the reverse, where an actor will be in the MCU and then go onto something Marvel-related, but not MCU, like Aaron Taylor Johnson or Russell Crowe being in Craven after previously playing MCU roles.

Has that actually happened often? Actors like those who were in No Way Home or Multiverse of Madness are just playing different versions or, in the case of Maguire and Holland, the same version of that character, not someone completely different. At best, maybe Evan Peters on Wandavision, even though that was more of a joke? Or Aubrey Plaza in the Agatha show, but then, Legion was so far away of being its own thing in the X-Men universe with no connections to the movies. Even in the case of Josh Brolin, he'd appeared as Thanos well before he played Cable.

If anything, it's been the reverse, where an actor will be in the MCU and then go onto something Marvel-related, but not MCU, like Aaron Taylor Johnson or Russell Crowe being in Craven after previously playing MCU roles.

Chris Evans. Michael B Jordan. Oscar Isaac. Peter Dinklage. Jon Favreau.

Gemma Chan and Michelle Yeoh have both played two different roles within the MCU. Alfre Woodard and Mahershala Ali too when you factor in the Netflix stuff.

There are other examples too.

Zero faith. Why not just reboot the entire thing? It such a mess. Certain characters from this franchise are staying. The entire DCEU needs to be scrapped. Luckily, I'm older now and don't care as much, but it still sucks to see your favorite characters, suck on the big screen.

There will be more new faces in Legacy alone than those coming back. The face of the first film is different. The story is gonna be different. The tone will be different. The creative approach will be different. It's a reboot. Keeping actors like Davis and Robbie and Cena as Peacemaker are well worth it imo.

Then you have the stupidity of possibly hiring Jason Momoa for another role. DC just has no fresh and creative ideas. Should turn the comic Justice League Vs Kong Vs Godzilla into a movie. It needs to take chances like those.

Lucky us that you aren't running this joint if that's your idea of fresh and creative lol

Da-scribe pretty much nailed it.

Go take a look at your marvel film history and you'll find there are Plenty of actors who have been in both. And even all of the ones you listed who may have been in the mcu first then other marvel adjacent things still proves my point lol. The point Is if actors carry over into the new DCU with new roles it won't be the end of the world. I'm sure people will notice but will it really detract from the quality of what they have cooking? Highly doubtful.

Chris Evans. Michael B Jordan. Oscar Isaac. Peter Dinklage. Jon Favreau.

Gemma Chan and Michelle Yeoh have both played two different roles within the MCU. Alfre Woodard and Mahershala Ali too when you factor in the Netflix stuff.

There are other examples too.

Oh right. Hell, I forgot about a lot of those and can't believe I overlooked Chris Evans.

Though I don't really count Ali and Woodard since Marvel Studios doesn't really see the Netflix shows as canon. Still, yeah, those work too.

There will be more new faces in Legacy alone than those coming back. The face of the first film is different. The story is gonna be different. The tone will be different. The creative approach will be different. It's a reboot. Keeping actors like Davis and Robbie and Cena as Peacemaker are well worth it imo.

Lucky us that you aren't running this joint if that's your idea of fresh and creative lol
But casting characters with previous regimes, like momoa, or bringing actors back from a failed regime is creative and a good idea. dC is a mess and has no plan. Just throwing stuff at the wall. Watching Superman fight Godzilla is fresh and creative on my eyes because it’s something I would never expect see in 200 years on a big screen.

How is Xolo a "Gunn directed character"?

But casting characters with previous regimes, like momoa, or bringing actors back from a failed regime is creative and a good idea. dC is a mess and has no plan. Just throwing stuff at the wall. Watching Superman fight Godzilla is fresh and creative on my eyes because it’s something I would never expect see in 200 years on a big screen.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"