Do you think Fox will/should make a Silver Surfer film?

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this lately and how Fox has wanted to take advantage of their superhero stable after the Avengers. With the Fantastic Four and X-Men rights they have 3 popular individual characters they can use: Wolverine, Deadpool, and Silver Surfer. Obviously Wolverine has his movies and Deadpool is at least being seriously talked about. Silver Surfer though is in question. There were talks about a movie after the second FF film but it didn't go anywhere. So do you think that, if the FF reboot is successful, will Fox make a Surfer movie and should they?

Personally, I think it would be a good idea because it only increases their number of franchises and adds another movie to tie-in to their shared universe concept. If everything works out and Wolverine, DOFP, and FF are all successful we could see a Fox stable that looks like this:

X-Men/X-Force/X-Factor
Wolverine
Deadpool
Fantastic Four
Silver Surfer

That would be awesome on top of what Marvel is giving us.

Don't Fox have the rights to Galactus?

I hope they don't. However, WILL THEY? It may happen.

What reasons do you have for Fox not making the movie other than you wanting Marvel to have the rights back?

What reasons do you have for Fox not making the movie other than you wanting Marvel to have the rights back?

Have you seen what they did to the Surfer and Galactus in the second FF movie? There's your answer. :o

Hopefully they lose the rights to Marvel/Disney somehow.

Have you seen what they did to the Surfer and Galactus in the second FF movie? There's your answer. :o

Fox in the Tom Rothman era is over. (Thank god.) With the blockbuster success Marvel enjoys now with the Avengers franchise and subsidiaries, under the aegis of the House of Mouse, Fox realizes now that the old model of superhero movies is no longer applicable. They show every intention of making their Marvel projects more fan-accessible and "authentic" to canon, and righting wrongs such as Tim Story's FF, X-Men Origins, and The Last Stand.

I think the brief pissing match they had with Marvel Studios over the rights to Galactus and Surfer indicate they intend to reboot the characters. In fact, they *have* to make a movie featuring them soon, if they want to retain the rights.

And if they give Surfer his own movie, it gives them the opportunity to expand into their own version of Cosmic Marvel, which will be *very* necessary for the majority of FF stories, as well as bringing the Sh'iar mythos into the X-Universe.

Fox in the Tom Rothman era is over. (Thank god.) With the blockbuster success Marvel enjoys now with the Avengers franchise and subsidiaries, under the aegis of the House of Mouse, Fox realizes now that the old model of superhero movies is no longer applicable. They show every intention of making their Marvel projects more fan-accessible and "authentic" to canon, and righting wrongs such as Tim Story's FF, X-Men Origins, and The Last Stand.

What evidence do you have that they "realize" their mistakes? Hiring loud mouth, Captain Extreme Mark Millar? Creating their own mini-MCU?

I'd prefer to look at their track record to judge their future. They have made 9 Marvel films:
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Of those 9 films how many are good? Only 3! 33%. That's not much of a track record. That's not much room for optimism.

Lets do a few more comparisons while we're at it. How about Sony? They have made 6 Marvel films.
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Amazing Spider-Man
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

How many are good? 3 out of the 6 or 50%. This is hardly a good track record but its significantly higher than Fox's.

Now finally how about Marvel Studios/Disney? They have made 6 Marvel movies.
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Marvel's The Avengers

How many we're good? 6 or 100%! Any questions as to why most of us don't trust Fox or Sony for that matter?

If you want you can also expand Sony's superhero film share with Hancock(also a bad movie). Then they're success rate drops to just under 43%.

What evidence do you have that they "realize" their mistakes? Hiring loud mouth, Captain Extreme Mark Millar? Creating their own mini-MCU?

I'd prefer to look at their track record to judge their future. They have made 9 Marvel films:
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Of those 9 films how many are good? Only 3! 33%. That's not much of a track record. That's not much room for optimism.

Did you overlook that part where I said that the Tom Rothman era is over? Rothman was a first-class moron and a *****ebag, and had no clue how to make superhero movies. He's gone now.

XMFC was widely praised by critics and fanboys alike; DOFP brings Singer back with plans to return to what made the X-Franchise so popular in the first place; the new Wolverine movie seems to be better thought-out than the all-over-the-place schlock of XMOW; and the hiring of Millar, whether you like him or not, means that they're serious about consulting a Marvel veteran to align their universe with something actually resembling the comic books. Hell, Millar is even the loudest voice for trying to merge the different studio franchises into the MCU --- if not with actual cameos and crossovers, then at least with easter eggs that illustrate the shared Marvel universe we all know and love.

Hey, I love Marvel Studios, and I'd love to see them get all their properties back. What I DON'T love --- not even remotely -- is "two movies per year." If MS got back ALL their properties tomorrow, then the VAST majority of Marvel's biggest franchises would wind up gathering dust, ne'er to be seen again by mortal man on the big screen. Outsourcing keeps big franchises like Spider-Man, the X-Universe, and Fantastic Four solvent.

There's plenty of room to be optimistic about Fox and Sony handling the other franchises.

cherokeesam is speaking the complete truth. It's obvious both Fox and Sony have learned their lessons and after the Avengers, the superhero movie is a completely different ball game. Both Fox and Sony are gearing to do their most ambitious and faithful adaptations of their properties we've seen yet.

cherokeesam is speaking the complete truth. It's obvious both Fox and Sony have learned their lessons and after the Avengers, the superhero movie is a completely different ball game. Both Fox and Sony are gearing to do their most ambitious and faithful adaptations of their properties we've seen yet.

It isn't obvious at all that the other studios have learned anything from Marvel's success. The only thing that is obvious is that they are now motivated by greed, the desire to replicate the billion-dollar payday Marvel achieved with The Avengers. Merely wanting to emulate Marvel's ability to make successful films doesn't mean that either studio actually has the ability to do so.

Mark Millar's hiring at Fox may be little more than window dressing. He has been very vocal about Fox's alleged desire to create a coherent universe with its Marvel properties. However, Bryan Singer hasn't even spoken to Millar and made it clear that whatever happens in the X films is controlled solely by him. There doesn't appear to be any coordination going on there. The consultant has also spoken of Josh Trank's plans for the FF reboot, but whether he has actually spoken to the director or writers is questionable. It's kind of hard to consult when no one is communicating.

Millar's one concrete contribution was convincing Matthew Vaughn to drop DOFP in favor of helming one of Millar's own films. With the follow-up to the (moderately) successful reboot now in the hands of a different director due to his influence, one has to wonder whether Millar's hiring was actually such a great thing for Fox's Marvel projects.

I never said anything about Millar. My point is that they're taking the steps to right the wrongs they did in the past (in Fox's case). If you want to spin that as greed and cash grabs then so be it, but either way it works out to bigger, more ambitious, and more faithful adaptations of the materials for us fans. Just look at what they're doing with The Wolverine. They learned from their mistake with Origins, went back to the drawing board and saw how much success Marvel was having with their faithful adaptations, and decided to make a Wolverine film that actually draws more from the comics and put Wolverine in his solo habitat, where his individual films should belong. The Wolverine will be like a Spider-Man film or Iron Man film, it will be completely Wolverine and could be looked at as its own corner of the universe in a way. Great step in the right direction.

Now with DOFP they're doing the most ambitious, and probably faithful, adaptation of any X-Men film. It all works out for the fans.

With FF they're bringing in a director who will actually honor the source material and make a film that is not only focused on popcorn value but also what make the FF special.

Once again, spin it however you want to but either way fans win.

It isn't obvious at all that the other studios have learned anything from Marvel's success. The only thing that is obvious is that they are now motivated by greed, the desire to replicate the billion-dollar payday Marvel achieved with The Avengers. Merely wanting to emulate Marvel's ability to make successful films doesn't mean that either studio actually has the ability to do so.

You sir are 100% correct!

No offense, but do you honestly believe if MS got all their properties back that they would still only do two films per year? I don't at all.

With the enormous success of Avengers, and the enormous financial backing of Disney, they could've ramped up production already and started producing a lot more than two films per year in Phase II. They haven't. And Feige has *specifically* stated the reason they keep to that schedule is to avoid saturation. So yes: they will stick to the 2-per-year formula *regardless* of how many big names they have in their harem.

OTOH, if they had the rights back from other studios, then those studios wouldn't also be making super hero films. Thus, saturation would be at a lower level.

Anyway, I don't want Fox touching the Silver Surfer again, because Rothman or no Rothman, I have zero faith they can do the character justice.

Anyway, I don't want Fox touching the Silver Surfer again, because Rothman or no Rothman, I have zero faith they can do the character justice.

In fact I have zero faith that they can make a decent FF movie as a whole! This will dent Josh Tranks shiny car career if this film comes into fruition. IMO.

I don't even know why this thread is even in this forum to be honest. The FF has their own forum now for this nonsense (yeah I said it!! Because Fox holding on to dear life to the FF is nonsense)

Last edited:
With the enormous success of Avengers, and the enormous financial backing of Disney, they could've ramped up production already and started producing a lot more than two films per year in Phase II. They haven't. And Feige has *specifically* stated the reason they keep to that schedule is to avoid saturation. So yes: they will stick to the 2-per-year formula *regardless* of how many big names they have in their harem.
I actually remember reading him state they don't have the resources to do it. They looked into it and decided they couldn't do it.

In fact I have zero faith that they can make a decent FF movie as a whole! This will dent Josh Tranks shiny car career if this film comes into fruition. IMO.

I don't even know why this thread is even in this forum to be honest. The FF has their own forum now for this nonsense (yeah I said it!! Because Fox holding on to dear life to the FF is nonsense)
First of all it's not nonsense. Second of all this is the Silver Surfer not FF. He is entirely his own character and has his own unique stories and background that are in no way specifically tied to the Fantastic Four.

And you people do realize that it's not the studio who makes these films but the creative teams put on them right? Just because it is being produced by Fox does not make it inherently bad. Fox has plenty of good films and that includes three good X-Men films. The FF films were a disaster because of the PEOPLE they put on it, not because "well it's Fox". I swear so many of you on this forum know absolutely nothing of what you're talking about and base your opinions completely off of knee jerk emotion instead of actual facts and informed thinking.

And in the grand scheme of things Fox having it is better than Marvel having it because all Marvel would do it with is maybe make one or two films that will somehow tie back into the Avengers. FF should not work like that. If they didn't do that then one of their other solo films would be getting the shaft for a film that would should not have much to do with the Avengers.

Last edited:
First of all it's not nonsense. Second of all this is the Silver Surfer not FF. He is entirely his own character and has his own unique stories and background that are in no way specifically tied to the Fantastic Four.

And you people do realize that it's not the studio who makes these films but the creative teams put on them right? Just because it is being produced by Fox does not make it inherently bad. Fox has plenty of good films and that includes three good X-Men films. The FF films were a disaster because of the PEOPLE they put on it, not because "well it's Fox". I swear so many of you on this forum know absolutely nothing of what you're talking about and base your opinions completely off of knee jerk emotion instead of actual facts and informed thinking.

And in the grand scheme of things Fox having it is better than Marvel having it because all Marvel would do it with is maybe make one or two films that will somehow tie back into the Avengers. FF should not work like that. If they didn't do that then one of their other solo films would be getting the shaft for a film that would should not have much to do with the Avengers.

While I agree that the FF should not heavily rely and/or tie to the Avengers as Marvel/Disney seems the direction they want to go (see example of Marvel getting the rights to Daredevil and yet they sit)that still doesn't give me the confidence in any Fox production outside of their Flagship X-Men (which in their little shared universe that the FF would be as dependent on the X-Men as they would be on the Avengers so there's no real improvement there) that they'll do a even decent FF film. I think we've done the "Just put any movie out there just to keep the rights" FF film and Tim Story disappointments.

And as far as Silver Surfer thats like saying that if Sony made a bad Spider-Man film that we'd separate Venom from it. You really can't because Venom has a direct connection to Spider-Man just as the Silver Surfer is connected to Galactus which is connected to the Fantastic Four. Plus I think Fox doesn't have all the the FF villains except for Doom, Galactus and the Surfer anyway so Fox has no choice but to directly connect them..

I'd rather wait till Phase III and or IV then have Fox do anything with anything connected to the FF

actually itd be kind of interesting... should fox's F4 reboot succeed, if they did something like this:

F4
F4 2: Doom's Revenge
Silver Surfer: Herald of Galactus
F4 3: Coming of Galactus

^ Yes it would be, on top of a Deadpool movie, more Woverine films, and maybe X-Men spinning off into X-Force. Fox can do so many cool things that people don't realize. With Surfer they can even explore the Shi'ar empire since Fox should have the rights to that and then use that as the bases for a FF/X-Men crossover film.

And I don't think that FF will be nearly as dependent on the X-Men with Fox as they would be with the Avengers at Marvel. They're going to be largely in their own corners until a crossover film way down the line. Fox is obligated to continue producing FF films so every film they put out is not going to tie right into the X-Men films, unlike if Marvel had the rights, where they can just make a film or two that ties into the Avengers and then call it a day.

I think the situation we're in right now is ideal, with Spider-Man, X-Men, and FF at different studios than Marvel. The only thing I would ask for is some little easter eggs to make it clear that they all work in the same universe, like some Stark Industries tech in Spider-Man or the term mutants being used in one of the MCU films. Other than that, it's quite fine to keep them separate and not crossover into the Avengers.

I think the situation we're in right now is ideal, with Spider-Man, X-Men, and FF at different studios than Marvel. The only thing I would ask for is some little easter eggs to make it clear that they all work in the same universe, like some Stark Industries tech in Spider-Man or the term mutants being used in one of the MCU films. Other than that, it's quite fine to keep them separate and not crossover into the Avengers.

But they are NOT in the same universe. Despite what the leaches over at Fox and Sony may want; Marvel/Disney doesn't want it...and rightfully so IMHO. It just wouldn't make any sense that the Battle of New York is never mentioned in Spider-Man. Or the fact that mutants are running amok isn't addressed in Avengers. I'm so glad that the Oscorp building was left out of Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"