Deadpool Do you think the Deadpool movie would have grossed better if it wasn't r-rated?

The top 50 grossing movies worldwide do matter.

Why does it matter in this debate? Has anyone made the top earners like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Avengers, Batman or James Bond R? How do you know how those films would play if rated R? There's no comparison for you to base anything of off. I have a feeling any sequel to those films would still crack the top 50 fi they were. Cause they are beasts. And if there were R rated films in the worldwide top 50 you would probably just say "pg-13 would make more". Cause your assumption seems to be that R rated films adult content are not important enough to the reception or draw of Adults. Only having a rating that appeals to everyone matters when it comes to making more. Deadpool is close to the top 50. The sequel or X-Force have a good chance at getting there.

This was the first popular comic character to get this rating, and to incorporate a major property like X-Men. He beat every PG-13 film but Spidey. And he beat plenty of Spidey numbers too. So what does that say?

The only way you can compare is if a well known property has both R and PG-13 films. Which we will see next year with Wolverine.

Deadpool is an interesting character. His movie doesn't need to be r-rated to be successful. In the first place, I enjoyed the movie not because of the r-rated scenes but rather the story.
Really? You didn't laugh at any of the jokes with curse words? I saw the film three times and people were laughing their ass off at tons of R rated material. That played heavily into their enjoyment. If the PG-13 works so well and better then why didn't that trailer get 40m? People had a choice there.

It's main demo was 17-35. Not 5-12. Deadpool talks ****, dates prositutes, gets cancer, tortured endlessly and kills in blood soaked revenge. Saying this should be catered to 5-12 year olds doesn't even make sense really . You either let your kid see this kind of stuff or don't. And most kids who are interested in this want to see Deadpool do naughty **** like they see in their youtube videos. Just like all of use who grew up with Robocop and Nightmare on Elm Street liked seeing the violence and gore. We knew the difference between Robocop 1 and 3. Watering it down didn't help it at all. Neither did the remake.

But hey, I've backed up Deadpool working as PG-13 plenty, and said it could work. But saying it would be more successful or of equal quality then this film is ridiculous. This film hit every note right with audiences. Change it or the marketing and you won't get the same results. I don't see how people are ignoring this. The uncensored attitude is part of the package and a huge reason why audiences were entertained. They were not turned off by the rating at all. They wanted more if anything.

Last edited:
Why does it matter in this debate? Has anyone made the top earners like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Avengers, Batman or James Bond R? How do you know how those films would play if rated R? There's no comparison for you to base anything of off. I have a feeling any sequel to those films would still crack the top 50 fi they were. Cause they are beasts.

It matters because a non r-rated movie means more people can watch it and we're talking about hundreds of millions of potential moviegoers.

Probably it will crack the top 50 but definitely won't sell better as a non r-rated movie.

Yeah there's a reason why BVS didn't push for a R rating because there's potentially more $$$ with a PG-13 rating.

It matters because a non r-rated movie means more people can watch it and we're talking about hundreds of millions of potential moviegoers.

Probably it will crack the top 50 but definitely won't sell better as a non r-rated movie.
So a PG rated X-Men movie would definitely make more then a PG-13 one since not all parents let their kids see PG-13? They should tone down the violence so my little 4year olds cousins can see it. :whatever:

Your argument above was that it does matter that an R rated film is in the top 50 worldwide. Now you are saying if Deadpool 2 makes it in the top 50 that doesn't prove anything either. You would rather risk ditching all the fans and audiences that were interested in this cause it was different, in exchange for trying to grab an audience that isn't guaranteed.

More adults were interested in this then X-Men, Batman Begins, Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Superman. All PG-13 films. An R rated comic book movie made more then every big gun out there.

Last edited:
As if Kids go to the theaters by themselves.
Don't you see, you guys are totally right! The adult content doesn't matter at all, that potential kid money automatically means more. There was a reason Disney didn't push for a pg-13 rating with Frozen, Alice, Maleficent and Zootopia . It means potentially more money just like you said. A family friendly PG rated X-Men would definitely make more then a PG-13. And they could beat Marvel to the punch in discovering this! A PG X-Men could probably be in the top 5, but even if the PG-13 was in the top 5 it would still definitely make more with a PG. So much more potential!

I mean, what were Ted, Deadpool and The Hangover thinking trying to grab the interest of Adults. They clearly could have made more without all the R rated jokes. Nobody even liked the R jokes in Deadpool or Ted. It added little to nothing with the character and it's success. Adults will see them no matter what right? Teddy bears are for kids anyways. So are prostitute dating gun wielding cancer victims! They should make everything PG so all movies can crack a billion just like Frozen!

:loco:

Last edited:
Deadpool also forced parents to buy tickets if their kids wanted to see the movie. With a PG-13 movie, it's possible to drop the kids off and not buy a ticket.

This isn't a binary system. A PG 13 film does not automatically equal more money. There is a ripple effect. So much went right with this movie to get the box office receipts that it did. Change anyone of them, and you wreck the movie and its reception.

And there is a very big difference between the audience you want for your $250+ million blockbuster and your $58 million small film.

The appeal was that the X-world we've come to love now has a chapter that is open to any and all subjects. It was refreshing. I think people saw that in the ads and it piqued their interests. If it was PG-13, I'm not sure Deadpool would've worked. Not necessarily the violence, but maybe the language. Just that he's rude and crude. That's his deal.

It DID outgross huge and acclaimed (and very good, I might add) PG-13 Marvel/Disney tentpoles such as Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy --- WITHOUT China and 3D prices - didn't it? ;)

All of that with $58 million, an R-rating, (other than Ryan Reynolds) no real star attached to it, and without catering to the audiences, instead staying true to itself.

I think that's enough to answer the original question.

Last edited:
I'm going to say no, because the buzz surrounding the R rating was like an extra 50 millions dollars worth of press. And tbh when you make a movie for $60 million, you can afford to take a risk.
There seems to be an incorrect assumption that the lower the rating the more people will watch. Xmen Apocalypse was not R, and made $542 million. Deadpool made $760 million.
There is clearly more to it than just a rating. The R rating is a HUGE part of the marketing. If casuals saw another PG13, they might be turned off. Also the shocking adult nature transfers to a strong word of mouth. People tell there friends how "This isn't like other super hero movies" then they watch it again with there buddies (Like I did).

Edit: I'll also add that Expendables 3 was pg13 and totally bomb while the R rated previous movies made money. (The leaked screener didn't help, but that wasn't the main cause of it's failure)

Last edited:
It's a double edged sword, no pun intended :). If you remember Showgirls, it was rated X or something along those lines which completely gave it more appeal because it was different. Now fast forward to a time when many consider movies going PC / mainstream for the sake of a payout, the R rating was an ode to the hardcore Deadpool fan, catering to them, not the masses. Most likely would have been more risky to make the movie cookie cutter and rated PG-13, which would have grossed more initially but lost all traction and hopes of future support long term. They invest so much money into these movies, they have to start thinking long, sequels, merchandise, etc. PG-13 probably would have made more short term, but certainly not long term.

A Pg-13 rating could tone down the violence, excessive language and nudity... but those things aren't really gonna hurt the movie if the story is still good and the humour is still there
===================================

thats what made deadpool great, you need an rating for the humour, the plot was weak, it was the script and the r rated stuff that made it a great film. It made it watchable to adults who otherwise could not of given a feck about cbm.

Watchable for 'adults' into dick jokes, *********ion references, gratuitous sex and Bugs Bunny cartoon violence?

This was my favorite film of 2016 and DP is my second favorite character, but in no way was this the most 'adult' or grown-up CBM by a country mile. It's just too crude and graphic for children. But kiddies love Deadpool, my young nephew loves it. This is why I think a PG-13 film would have made more, although it wouldn't feel as authentically Deadpool.

Last edited:
The fact that it was authentically Deadpool is why I think the movie did well. I am glad they didn't make it PG-13. It wouldn't have necessarily done better (in fact, it might have made it just another comic book movie in a crowded market place full of them), and it would've felt too watered down.

It's just too crude and graphic for children.
===================

Precisely this was not a film for them, it was a film for adults who wouldnt of had any interest if that stuff wasnt in it.

Can't do the same campaign and trailers with a pg-13. Change the rating and you essentially change how this movie marketed itself and trended. Which wouldn't be good, as I'm sure most will agree this was the best marketing ever for a movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"