Do you think they should've made Spider-Man 4?

Gwendolyn Stacy

Nerdette
Reaction score
I love the trilogy and would've really liked to see Part 4. But on the other, hand, I'm also looking forward to the reboot. [Wish it wasn't a year+ away]. What do you think?

I think there was a weakening. too many sympathetic villaiins that were boprn out of a scientific accident. Too many MJ's kidnappings. Too many Tobey Maguire's cryings. Too many pulls and pushes between PP and MJ. And quite honestly SM3 was very very bad.

So no. It's better this way. Raimi did his best in SM2 and he showed he couldn't repeat the deed.

Honestly? Yes. I'm super excited for the reboot, but I feel as though S-M4 should have happened. Raimi wanted Black Cat and Vulture, Sony wanted Vulture and Vultress. If they would have let Sam make the film he wanted, it may have been fantastic and a great addition to my favorite superhero franchise. I will always hold a grudge against Sony for that. No matter how amazing the reboot is.

Hell, half of the script delays were because Raimi hated the scripts he was seeing.

Overall, I still wish there was going to be a S-M4. It should have happened.

However, I am still stuper excited for the reboot and I really do hope it's fantastic. I'm still skeptical, but Here's hoping.

Honestly? Yes. I'm super excited for the reboot, but I feel as though S-M4 should have happened. Raimi wanted Black Cat and Vulture, Sony wanted Vulture and Vultress. If they would have let Sam make the film he wanted, it may have been fantastic and a great addition to my favorite superhero franchise. I will always hold a grudge against Sony for that. No matter how amazing the reboot is.

Hell, half of the script delays were because Raimi hated the scripts he was seeing.

However, I am still stuper excited for the reboot and I really do hope it's fantastic. I'm still skeptical, but Here's hoping.

Maybe. I don't know what the story would be for SPIDER-MAN 4, so I feel I couldn't judge what Sam Raimi's S-M4 would be specifically and therefore have an opinion on it. That said I would have preferred fourth Sam Raimi Spider-Man film to a reboot only ten years after the first movie, and five after the third.

Does anyone know why they were going to have Felicia Hardy become Vultress instead of Black Cat? Were they afraid that Black Cat would be too similar to Catwoman of the Batman franchise?

^^ Not sure. I know that Sony felt that Vulture couldn't carry his own film, which is complete bulls***. Just look at what his design was going to be for S-M4.

Sony doesn't have a reason for Vultress, which proves their stupidity. That's why Raimi was so frustrated with Sony. They weren't letting him do what he wanted.

^^ Not sure. I know that Sony felt that Vulture couldn't carry his own film, which is complete bulls***. Just look at what his design was going to be for S-M4.

Eh. Vulture's not the one of the best Spider-Man villains. I would have liked to have seen Doctor Curt Connors become the Lizard that they were setting up for two movies already before the Vulture. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Vulture, I just haven't seen or read many stories in which the character really grabbed me as a great Spider-Man villain and one who I would clamor to be in a movie.

I certainly wouldn't want him to be used as a sympathetic villain like Doctor Octopus and Sandman were.

Sony doesn't have a reason for Vultress, which proves their stupidity.

Vultress was definitely a bad idea. If you don't want to use Black Cat, why use Felicia Hardy? They created the Vultress, so why not create a new character as her alter-ego? I wonder what the Raimiverse Black Cat would be like, especially since he had yet to have a villainess in the Spider-Man movies. She might have been useful in SPIDER-MAN 3 in place of Gwen Stacy and maybe Sandman, if one wanted to streamline the movie.

I find it ironic that Anne Hathaway, after having been the top contender to play Felicia Hardy, is now going to play Selina Kyle and Catwoman in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

That's why Raimi was so frustrated with Sony. They weren't letting him do what he wanted.

I can understand his frustration, but the film's budget would be provided by Sony Entertainment corporation. I do wish they had reached a compromise or an agreement of some sort.

Eh. Vulture's not the one of the best Spider-Man villains. I would have liked to have seen Doctor Curt Connors become the Lizard that they were setting up for two movies already before the Vulture. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Vulture, I just haven't seen or read many stories in which the character really grabbed me as a great Spider-Man villain and one who I would clamor to be in a movie.
He's always really been a big challenge for Spidey. Raimi knows how to turn a Villain with little backstory (Sandman) into a full fledge story. I love Sandman in the comics, btw. DOn't get me wrong.

I trusted Raimi knew what he was doing with Vulture and Black Cat.

Vultress was definitely a bad idea. If you don't want to use Black Cat, why use Felicia Hardy? They created the Vultress, so why not create a new character as her alter-ego? I wonder what the Raimiverse Black Cat would be like, especially since he had yet to have a villainess in the Spider-Man movies.
Ask Sony. Sam pretty much was lied to. He was suppsoed to have complete creative control over the film.If he did, we would have a S-M4 along with Vulture and Black Cat.

There's actually AWEOMSE concept art somewhere of what Black Cat would have looked like in S-M2. She looked very identical to the comics with minor tweaks here and there.

He's always really been a big challenge for Spidey. Raimi knows how to turn a Villain with little backstory (Sandman) into a full fledge story. I love Sandman in the comics, btw. DOn't get me wrong.

I trusted Raimi knew what he was doing with Vulture and Black Cat.

What Raimi did to Sandman would be just what I would be afraid of. Sandman didn't need to be connected to Peter, especially not by retconning Uncle Ben's murder by the robber Spider-Man let go to death by gun safety failure on the part of an accomplice there wasn't even a hint of in the first movie. His "sympathetic motive", his daughter's illness, also feels forced and undeveloped. Spider-Man's fight scenes with him were good, and Thomas Hayden Church plays him well, but he didn't need Raimi's "fleshing out" and the film suffered for its poor quality and valuable screen time in a movie with a stuffed story was wasted on it.

I wouldn't want the Vulture to be like that.

Ask Sony. Sam pretty much was lied to. He was suppsoed to have complete creative control over the film.If he did, we would have a S-M4 along with Vulture and Black Cat.

Maybe Sam Raimi had done something that Sony executives really disapproved of. Did Sam Raimi have any such troubles with SPIDER-MAN and SPIDER-MAN 2?

There's actually AWEOMSE concept art somewhere of what Black Cat would have looked like in S-M2. She looked very identical to the comics with minor tweaks here and there.

You mean this:
12_lg.jpg

Yeah it does look good. I would have liked to have seen her on the big screen. Black Cat is an interesting character, who could have been great in SPIDER-MAN 3 in Gwen Stacy's place. Hell, looking back, that would be what would think would have happened, after Doctor Octopus was in the script for the SPIDER-MAN, removed to develop Green Goblin, and then used in SPIDER-MAN 2 and Black Cat was in the SM2 script and dropped for similar reasons, and SM3 needed a second love-interest. What a missed opportunity.

Does anyone know why they were going to have Felicia Hardy become Vultress instead of Black Cat? Were they afraid that Black Cat would be too similar to Catwoman of the Batman franchise?

Quite honestly, I consider Black Cat one of the most bare-faced rip-offs, comics or movies.

Maybe Sam Raimi had done something that Sony executives really disapproved of. Did Sam Raimi have any such troubles with SPIDER-MAN and SPIDER-MAN 2?
Nope. Raimi had creative control over S-M1 amd S-M2, but he was promised even more control over S-M4. For some reason. It seems as thoguh Sony had plans to screw him over if things whent wrong. They already had the reboot script written just in case and sure enough.....

You mean this:
12_lg.jpg

Yeah it does look good. I would have liked to have seen her on the big screen. Black Cat is an interesting character, who could have been great in SPIDER-MAN 3 in Gwen Stacy's place. Hell, looking back, that would be what would think would have happened, after Doctor Octopus was in the script for the SPIDER-MAN, removed to develop Green Goblin, and then used in SPIDER-MAN 2 and Black Cat was in the SM2 script and dropped for similar reasons, and SM3 needed a second love-interest. What a missed opportunity.[/
Well, I don't think she would have fit into the 3rd film that well. Now a 4th? SHe wolud have worked greatly, IMO.

Last edited:
I really love SM2 & SM3, think SM1 is good and had one the 2 best origin stories (the other one is in SSM animated), but not impressive

From what I heard of plans for SM4 I'm not really thrilled, almost happy they canned it
Vultress? Seriously? Felicia Hardy is a vultress? No way

I really love SM2 & SM3, think SM1 is good and had one the 2 best origin stories (the other one is in SSM animated), but not impressive

From what I heard of plans for SM4 I'm not really thrilled, almost happy they canned it

I agree about the plans for SPIDER-MAN 4 that I heard about. Felicia Hardy as the Vultress was a bad idea. I would much rather have had her be Black Cat, or a new character as the Vultress.

That was all Sony. That's why Sam closed the book. He couldn't meet their deadlines, and they wanted a rushed script. It shows that Sony doesn't care about quality and i think Sam understood that whe nthey backstabbed him.

Just imagine how wawesome it would have been to see Black Cat and VUlture.

Yes I would have loved a Spider-man 4, but let Sam Raimi do whatever he wants

^^ I just can't believe Sony would lie to Sam like that though.

Peter and MJ were supposed to get married, if I remember correctly.

He wanted to propose to her in SM3, the series was stepping forward in that direction

He wanted to propose to her in SM3, the series was stepping forward in that direction

That reminds me of one of SPIDER-MAN 3's biggest issues: Subplots that either went nowhere or lacked a satisfying payoff. We set up Peter proposing to Mary Jane,...and then it goes goes nowhere because they break up for ******** reasons. I would have rewritten it so that Peter proposes to MJ at the park, moving it to after he discusses it with Aunt May. Thoughts?

I really did want a Spider-man 4. I LOVE the trilogy(despite some flaws)and wanted to see Raimi,Maguire and co. continue. But I must admit that from what I've heard about this "Vultress" thing,if it was true,then I'm glad it wasn't made. I'm still not that excited about the reboot. Maybe that will change,but I'm still missing Tobey,Kirsten and Sam.

Absolutely should have been made. The only reason it wasn't is because of idiotic studio interference.

I don't understand how hopes are so high for the reboot when it born out of this mess. SM4 didn't happen because Sony couldn't lean on Raimi, and so they ditched integrity and went for a cheaper film instead. God knows who's bending over behind the scenes now.

Personally, I'm glad it's not being made. Not sure how true this is (if anyone does please say) but from what I've heard, the draft that caused Raimi to leave:

-Peter and MJ have been married for several years and have a kid
-Peter starts cheating on Maryjane with Felicia
-Vulture was done like an Avatar knockoff
-Spider-Man deliberately kills Vulture
-Felicia's pissed
-Peter throws his Spider-Man costume away again.

I'm super excited for the upcoming reboot (Andrew Garfield looks one helluva lot better than Maguire did) but I'm endlessly curious about what we would have gotten for the fourth film. Something I'm particularly curious about is how Peter would end up killing Vulture, since it's usually his enemies' actions that prove their undoing.

Also, I really don't think Tobey Maguire was a good choice for Spidey. The dance scene in the third movie was the nail in the coffin. Kirsten Dunst as Maryjane wasn't a bright choice, either, IMHO. In other words, I was getting pretty sick of both.

Last edited:
If Spiey 4 wasn't cancelled, it would have been out by now. Makes me sad thinking about how it was cancelled. :csad:

Personally, I'm glad it's not being made. Not sure how true this is (if anyone does please say) but from what I've heard, the draft that caused Raimi to leave:

-Peter and MJ have been married for several years and have a kid
-Peter starts cheating on Maryjane with Felicia
-Vulture was done like an Avatar knockoff
-Spider-Man deliberately kills Vulture
-Felicia's pissed
-Peter throws his Spider-Man costume away again.

I'm super excited for the upcoming reboot (Andrew Garfield looks one helluva lot better than Maguire did) but I'm endlessly curious about what we would have gotten for the fourth film. Something I'm particularly curious about is how Peter would end up killing Vulture, since it's usually his enemies' actions that prove their undoing.

Also, I really don't think Tobey Maguire was a good choice for Spidey. The dance scene in the third movie was the nail in the coffin. Kirsten Dunst as Maryjane wasn't a bright choice, either, IMHO. In other words, I was getting pretty sick of both.
Where did you get all of that from? A friend of my mine told me a couple of those things, but I highly doubt any of that would have happened. I also heard a rumor Mary Jane was going to die in the fifth film, but I seriously doubt that. Don't believe everything you read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"