Do you want to live to be 100?

Lantern Venom

Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host
Reaction score
I often hear people say they want to become centenarians. I used to say it too but now I'm not so sure. I've spent a good deal of time in nursing homes due to many family members and friends growing old. It seems to me that once people get into their late 80s beyond, their quality of life is often not very good. Even people who lived very healthy lifestyles sometimes end up in chronic pain or confusion because the human body just seems to wear out.

Now that you see where I'm going with this, what are your thoughts? Do you just want to keep existing or would there be a point where you lose enough of your faculties to make life hard to bear?

*Please DON'T turn this into a political thread about Obama "wanting to kill old people" or euthanasia. I want to hear people's thoughts on what they hope their twilight years will be like.

I don't want to be senile or crapping myself but if I can be sharp and a 100, why not.

I'd love to see what else the future holds. Native American president? Flying motorcycles?

Last edited:
I had a relative live to be 108 and lived in the house alone. (son lived next door thou)

I honestly don't want to live that long.

I had a relative live to be 108 and lived in the house alone. (son lived next door thou)

Yeah that would suck to out live everyone you loved and cared about. Kinda like the Green Mile or your typical emo vampire movie.

I don't want to be senile or crapping myself but if I can be sharp and a 100, why not.

I'd love to see what else the future holds. Native American president? Flying motorcycles?

This is the key for me. I could deal with most physical problems, including mobilitiy problems, but if I couldn't remember loved ones or where I was, that might be too much.

Wow. That is impressive but a little scary too. I want to live another 50 or so years (I'm 36 now) but 108? Only if I was quasi-independant like your relative. I can't imagine living 20-30 years in a nursing home.

It is not my choice and I will live as long as I am meant to live.

The only thing I'd do as a 100 year old widow is coke and ****es so it's probably for the best I die earlier.

I'm totally cool with living to 100, I will never "just exist". There are plenty of people my age who "just exist" even though they are young and healthy.

Ehhh I dunno.

If I get to the stage where I can't go to the toilet on my own or look after myself I'd rather die.

If I continue to remain happy in my life, sure.

If not, that's another story.

I just wanna live long enough to get my own damn hoverboard even if I'm too old to use it.

I don't. Call me crazy, but spending the last 30 years of my life with limited mobility and crapping into an adult diaper is no way to live.

To be honest, I'd rather die in the 55-60 age range.

If you're healthy why not? Not everyone who lives long gets sick or is dependent. My paternal grandmother lived to be about 115 or so and was perfectly healthy.

I don't. Call me crazy, but spending the last 30 years of my life with limited mobility and crapping into an adult diaper is no way to live.

To be honest, I'd rather die in the 55-60 age range.

I feel the same way

When I was (not much) younger, I didnt want to grow old. I couldn't imagine life being even in my 60s. I always said that I wanted to go in my late 40s early 50s. Though, now that I'm older (24), looking back on that ideal, makes me wish that I never thought that, because now I always think that my life is halfway over, and I should have accomplished more than I already have (because, getting a college degree and a good job in my field arent enough accomplishments already). With that comes a lot of irrational stress.

I still don't want to live to be too old though. From my point of view, with family and so on, barely any one has lived past 70 (more like 65), and those few who have, had been committed to homes early on. At this point, the oldest person in the entire family is my dad, whose only 50. I come from stock that lives life hard and dies early, but if your "lucky" to live long, it isn't much of a life.

If you **** up your health when you're young, you won't be fit when you hit the 90s and 100's. Yeah, you have to live life to the fullest when you're young, but it doesn't mean live life like a dumbass either.

Heh, with my lifestyle I reckon if I reach 100 it will mean I'm immortal or something.

If you **** up your health when you're young, you won't be fit when you hit the 90s and 100's. Yeah, you have to live life to the fullest when you're young, but it doesn't mean live life like a dumbass either.
for my clan, it aint the lack of taking care of ones self, its the typically unavoidable cancers and hereditary diseases (3 members have died from cancer, 2 from the latter) that we don't let keep us from doing what we gotta do that tend to nab us quick.

My great grandmother lived into her 90s, but she had been in a home for 20+ years. Not my idea of the golden years.

Heh, with my lifestyle I reckon if I reach 100 it will mean I'm immortal or something.
Bow before the all mighty Ace... :awesome:

I'd like to not die, it's kinda scary thinking about not being alive. I mean think about it... :wow:

Of course I think it has to suck to be old and not be able to do anything. Especially if your only living because of a machine.

Bow before the all mighty Ace... :awesome:

I'd like to not die, it's kinda scary thinking about not being alive. I mean think about it... :wow:

Of course I think it has to suck to be old and not be able to do anything. Especially if your only living because of a machine.

:D

Yea I just don't think about death. The way I see it, anyone of us could die at any given time.

You might be the healthiest person in the world, but you could walk out in front of a bus one day, or be walking on the sidewalk and some drunk driver wipes you out. Anything could happen at anytime. So it's best just to live life to the max whilst you still can. That's my philosophy anyway.

when I can't feed myself anymore, can't wipe my own butt, and can't remember any of my loved ones or what I did 20 minutes ago I'll be ready to go.
My family is very long lived so far, and with few exceptions still really sharp and active. So I'm hoping to see at least 90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"