• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Does the music of this decade suck?

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
It is my opinion that the music of this decade really blows. At least, in comparison to previous decades.

Lets look at the facts. In the 90s, what did we have? The 90s are underappreciated sometimes, because I find that the 90s is an absolute treasure trove of good and great music. Here are the "exhibits". By 97, we had...

Radiohead. They've earned their place in musical history.
The Verve. How great were the Verve. ****ing fantastic.
Blur.
Oasis - I'm not a big fan of Oasis myself, but they sure beat the **** out of every other British band on the scene right now.
Beck.
The Cranberries.
Bruce Springstein released some good stuff in the 90s.
And the Crash Test Dummies released "Mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm".
And lots of other indie type bands had notable achievements.

Even pop music in the 90s was better.
Seal.
Scarlet - Independent Love Song.
And ****loads of stuff I can't think of right now, but the 90s did have some great pop songs.
Some great hip hop stuff too. "It's like this and that and this" - very funky song. "Jump Around" - hell yeah. Great song to dance too.

And what have we got now? A million sort of clone bands. I swear, if yet another British band comes onto the scene siting the Cure as one of their main influences, I'll murder someone.
Arctic Monkeys (hurl!!)
Snow Patrol (ewww!!)
The Killers, The Thrillers, The Hives, Franz Firdinand, etc etc etc. They're all **** or just plain bland. It is actually quite hard to tell bands apart from each other just by listening to them, which is a sad state of affairs. The indie band no longer exists. They all sound too mainstream.

And pop music sucks too. Its all about "r'n'b" now. R'n'b doesn't even mean the same thing as it used to. The only good pop song in the 2000s I can think of is "Hey Ya". When did Johnny Cash's last album come out? 2001 or something? Johnny Cash won over a whole new generation of fans with his last album.

What does everyone else think? Do we have any modern day classics at all, or is everything thats supposedly good just over-rated crap?

90's did have some great stuff, Sublime, 311, fishbone,etc

Johnny Cash's last album was released a few months ago....

Another great 90s pop song. New Radicals - You Get What You Give.

I agree. This last decade has made me feel older than I am simply because can't stand this new music. I f**king hate most of it.

It has become all about the money as well. If you look at the Album The Boss did after Sept. 11th. It was No. 1 for 3 weeks in a row. MTV didn't even touch. Shouldn't that be what was mostly played on MTV? This has happened quite a few with artists selling a crap load of records, but not getting any play on the TV.

The only good new stuff is from bands that were big in the 90's but still play today, 311's 2004 album was the best yet

music of this decade has been grea in my opinion. The 90s was dominated by lame boy and girl bands. But overall it comes down to taste really. I have enjoyed the music of the last 7 years much more than music of the 90's. I was never a big fan of Grunge, Britpop, Nu Metal or Gangsta Rap which where the all big in the 90's.

also if you think all indie bands sound the same why don't you have a look around myspace. The stuff you see on MTV or the Radio is always going to be mainstream.

Franz Ferdinand is good damnit:cmad:

also we still have Jarvis Cocker:yay:

I consider Franz Ferdinand partly responsible for the downfall of rock this decade. Damn them and their catchy songs.

There's good stuff all around, you just have to find it.

Also, another thing is that back then music heavily relied on radio and MTV, now MTV hardly plays music anymore if any, and nobody listens to radio.

You're trying to tell me not everyone considers "My Humps" to be one of the most important songs in the history of music?

It says alot about the fascist oppression of the working class. :up:

My humps is a true song from the heart.

:up:

I think this decade hasn't been too too shabby. Maybe for rock fans it might suck ass, but I'm not an avid rocker so.....

I think compared to the bubblegum bulldookie of the 90s, pop has a bit more credibility thanks to Justin Timberlake's emergence, Christina, Nelly Furtado, Natasha Bedingfield, and the like (in comparison to the days of boy bands, Britney, and her white pop princess clones).

Mainstream hip hop has certainly had its up-and-downs, in large part due to the emergence of the god awfully robotic southern rap movement. But then again, Jay-Z's best album came out within this decade, Outkast offered up a classic disc with Speakerboxxx/Love Below, Lupe Fiasco is certainly the future, and Common's gained more notoriety (and even though his ego is a turnoff, Kanye did some brilliant work with "College Dropout" and to some extent "Late Registration").

So, again, I don't know about the rock fans, but there's been some decent stuff to come out of this decade elsewhere.

two words both prove AND disrove this theory...

Girls Aloud

:oldrazz:

Some of the 90's metal and hard rock was good, but at the end it all went to boy bands. This decade's music sucks hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"