Runaways Doomsday | Runaways | EP9

Reaction score
Original Streaming Date: January 2, 2018

The Runaways are feeling more fractured than ever when Molly arrives with a devastating message from her parents. Now the kids have to stop their parents before it’s too late.

So... the villain's scheme is similar to the Hand in The Defenders? Villains want to dig up something buried underground, which end up creating earthquakes that devastate the city? Okay.

Really? I wouldn't know. I gave up on that show after that 2 hour premier. I doubt Inhumans would've gotten better

I think a giant hole in the ground is an easy budget thing, certainly compared to an undersea base.

I thought the relationship stuff worked very well in this episode. I thought the acting was very strong.

I also liked the slow realization by the parents of things and a build up to the finale. They did a good showing of panic on the parents part, selling not just a concern for themselves but a concern for their children because of Jonah.

Some deviations from the comics:
Molly's origin is alluded to here, suggesting it was the rock and not mutation giving her abilities.
Karolina's status is interesting. Things were technically a little vague, but my guess is she gets her glowy abilities from Jonah. That's not a bad change given the way the story is going, but it certainly limits her abilities - making Tina the only real threat to the Runaways besides Jonah.

Good to see the origin of the name, but I also would like a second season of them running away - particularly if their parents make it through or Jonah survives. I would argue the school setting can be fairly superfluous.

That ending! Im not ready for the finale next week.

I thought this was a good episode. The ending gave me some big comic vibes and hoping they actually Runaway at the end of the finale.

I just wish Karolina and Molly looked a little more comic like with their powers. The former is a nitpick but the latter is a valid thing. She's supposed to be light/sunlight. Maybe something more like this:

tumblr_p1yjedazBL1qg0x0mo1_1280.png

Apparently Jonah went to the Hand School of Villainy :o

I don't mind the idea, but having this show so close to Defenders makes me kind of roll my eyes at this aspect, LOL. I hope we don't see a dragon carcass or something down there.

So they get powers from rocks? like Smallville with the kryptonite shower.

Episode was good though, Karolina's dad was obvious not sure why no one was against her being so open to him.

I'm a little bummed about the hole/pit thing happening again. I'm still enjoying the series, but part of me wishes the movie actually happened. Things would have been executed better and wouldn't be so low budget on FX.

A comparison gif of the two versions from above.
tumblr_p1ztddGMuW1uxv4oqo1_1280.gif

Apparently Jonah went to the Hand School of Villainy :o

I don't mind the idea, but having this show so close to Defenders makes me kind of roll my eyes at this aspect, LOL. I hope we don't see a dragon carcass or something down there.

I did mention that a few posts up. :oldrazz:

Anyways I liked the episode. While this was all set up for the big confrontation next week, I did like the character interactions between the teens, especially Chase and Gert and Nico and Karolina. Those were neat.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the season finale. Who knows how it will end. Personally, I hope that the Punisher appears out of nowhere and attacks the PRIDE. Jon Bernthal makes anything amazing.

Last edited:
I did mention that a few posts up. :oldrazz:

Anyways I liked the episode. While this was all set up for the big confrontation next week, I did like the character interactions between Chase and Gert and Nico and Karolina. Those were neat.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the season finale. Who knows how it will end. Personally, I hope that the Punisher appears out of nowhere and attacks the PRIDE. Jon Bernthal makes anything amazing.

I like that the plot is finally explaining things, lol. There was a fair amount of dragging in the middle, and not enough explaining what Pride is doing. Happy that it finally moving!

Wrap it up! I feel like most of the season is a long slow burn to the finale and eh. It lost my interest. Thank God, there's only one episode left.

I like that the plot is finally explaining things, lol. There was a fair amount of dragging in the middle, and not enough explaining what Pride is doing. Happy that it finally moving!

Agreed. The plot is finally moving along and it happens at the next to last episode. I’ll mention this again: this season seems to set up the teens running away from home and the parents looking for them next season. Regardless, I am looking forward to the finale.

Wrap it up! I feel like most of the season is a long slow burn to the finale and eh. It lost my interest. Thank God, there's only one episode left.

Yea me too. This is getting unbearable. Can we PLEASE get some answers. Who is Jonah? what is the Church's purpose? what's the deal with Molly's parents? Can we actually confirm that the Yorkes are time travelers please!

Not sure if the hook ups between Gert/Chase and Karolina/Nico were earned either. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but they seemed to just pop out of no where.

I guess Gert and Chase were kinda flirting, but it seemed to be one way from Gert, and then Chase hooks up with Karolina, then Karolina hooks up with Nico. The relationships are switching up too fast. Might have been better if Nico/Karolina and Chase/Gert was left to season 2.

I'm ready for this season to end. There's enough potential for this show to grow and become better in later seasons, but so far I feel a bit let down.

I think a giant hole in the ground is an easy budget thing, certainly compared to an undersea base.

I thought the relationship stuff worked very well in this episode. I thought the acting was very strong.

I also liked the slow realization by the parents of things and a build up to the finale. They did a good showing of panic on the parents part, selling not just a concern for themselves but a concern for their children because of Jonah.

Some deviations from the comics:
Molly's origin is alluded to here, suggesting it was the rock and not mutation giving her abilities.
Karolina's status is interesting. Things were technically a little vague, but my guess is she gets her glowy abilities from Jonah. That's not a bad change given the way the story is going, but it certainly limits her abilities - making Tina the only real threat to the Runaways besides Jonah.

Good to see the origin of the name, but I also would like a second season of them running away - particularly if their parents make it through or Jonah survives. I would argue the school setting can be fairly superfluous.

Regarding the deviations.

While Molly's character is not labeled a Mutant. Gert does refer to the Rocks that changed Molly as Mutant Fungus. I assume this was the most respect they could pay to Molly's character being a Mutant in the comics, without there being a legal issue. I know Disney is buying Fox, but the deals not done yet and in the meantime they still have to follow the contracts.

Surfer

Yea me too. This is getting unbearable. Can we PLEASE get some answers. Who is Jonah? what is the Church's purpose? what's the deal with Molly's parents? Can we actually confirm that the Yorkes are time travelers please!

I think you have to stop basing this on the comic and judge it on its own story. I think this story answered what was up with Molly's parents (they were geologists who were murdered) and there's no reason to assume the Yorkes are time travelers.

I think you have to stop basing this on the comic and judge it on its own story. I think this story answered what was up with Molly's parents (they were geologists who were murdered) and there's no reason to assume the Yorkes are time travelers.

Didn't they already hint that the Yorkes were at least playing with time travel? I'm fine if there not time travellers. In fact I'm happy for them to make as many changes as they want. I just want them to make a firm decision and communicate it to the audience. This long drawn out mystery is unnecessary and needs to end.

I don't believe they've hinted at it, no. Victor Stein, maybe, but the Yorkes seem to be into genetic modification.

Let me ask you this. If the answer to whether they're time travelers is "no," what additional information do you think is required?

I don't believe they've hinted at it, no. Victor Stein, maybe, but the Yorkes seem to be into genetic modification.

Let me ask you this. If the answer to whether they're time travelers is "no," what additional information do you think is required?

Yea your right. Just watched it, it was the Stien flashback in episode 7.

Anyway the time traveler thing was less important. I'm actually happy with the book deviations. If the Yorkes are geneticists then I'm cool with that. It's the other mysteries I'd like an answer too.

I guess it's Frank

who betrays the Runaways compared to the comics? Who else is exactly going to betray them now? That would seem like a double betrayal and a bit of a repeat of what has already happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"