• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Download NIN new album for free!

Superman4ever

Superhero
Reaction score
I thought this was pretty cool.

Practice What You Preach: Nine Inch Nails Gives Away New Album

It’s not like we doubted him, but Trent Reznor really meant it when he said that he hates the way the music industry operates and that he encourages sharing of his music on the internet. Nine Inch Nails have put up the first volume of their album ‘Ghosts’ on torrent sites, under a creative commons license. If you want the whole package of the multi volume album (36 tracks!), though, you can go over to NiN’s official site and download it for 5 bucks. You can also order a 2xCD box set for a mere 10 bucks, “deluxe limited edition package” for 70 bucks, and you can get an “ultra-deluxe limited edition package” for $300.

Let me just stop here for a second and say that personally, I haven’t listened to NiN much since the Downward Spiral phase, but if there’s one album I’m gonna buy this year (I usually go to concerts and buy t-shirts, as I feel the band profits more directly from this; I have quite a collection), it’s going to be this one. Finally, you get good value for your money, and you get a fantastic number of options which cater to every pocket. I’m sure that fans will realize this and get the option they can afford, be it free, or the ultra-deluxe one.

Here’s what the band has to say about BitTorrent: “Now that we’re no longer constrained by a record label, we’ve decided to personally upload Ghosts I, the first of the four volumes, to various torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital distribution method, and we believe in finding ways to utilize new technologies instead of fighting them.”

I couldn’t have said it better.

http://mashable.com/2008/03/02/nine-inch-nails-album-download-free-ghosts/

If it's like their last album I'll listen to a few songs but most likely will pass. I've liked all of their albums minus that last one.

I'm hoping Trent went in a different direction with this one.

My gf bought the last album and made me listen to it one day. I though "with teeth" was bad.....I was wrong.

Some people really like the new nin stuff I guess, I havn't really enjoyed anything since the Downward Spiral (and some of the Fragile). I'll give it a shot, but not looking forward to it too much.

I must say though, that I really commend him/them for doing this. It's about time more bands do things like this with their music. It's a pretty well known fact that bands make most of their money on merch and concerts and very little on cd sales.

10 Inch Nails are a better group.

Quite a few musicians have been doing this lately, so what's so special abuot NIN doing it, although do you think they know already there will be loads of *****yness about it for a while, when Prince did it last year people kept saying "he is killing the music industry" :o

There's already a thread on this over in the Celebrities section...the Reznor appreciation thread.

And I think NINs intent with this is to help kill the current music industry. He got out of his record contract, and is now trying to prove that the labels arent needed to succeed as a musician.

You know what would have been awesome though? If the download actually worked. I bought the $10 one, cause I want a hardcopy of the album. I download the file (took about 2 hours to order, then another 2 to download it) and find out it's corrupt.

I was able to get it from another source already, but still. They should have known that about a bajillion rabid NIN fans would swarm the site soon as word got out about this.

Also, to all those wondering, this album is NOTHING like anything they have ever done before. It was recorded in a 10 week span, with no real plan behind it. It's all instrumentals, that when played back to back form one giant, epic song. It's really incredible.

Also, anyone who didnt like Year Zero has no taste. The entire album, the ARG, the art, everything about it, was brilliant.

Yeah his style has changed, but I still like it.

Just got the free download, and it's very dissonant stuff, but it works somehow. I'll give it a few more listens and then maybe I'll drop the $10 for the 2-CD set. :yay:

There's already a thread on this over in the Celebrities section...the Reznor appreciation thread.

And I think NINs intent with this is to help kill the current music industry. He got out of his record contract, and is now trying to prove that the labels arent needed to succeed as a musician.

Oh, then merge mods...MERGE! :yay:

I hate the music industry and I hope he (and artists in general) wins. I haven't heard their new stuff but once I get home...I'm downloading it and giving it a shot!

Oh, then merge mods...MERGE! :yay:

I hate the music industry and I hope he (and artists in general) wins. I haven't heard their new stuff but once I get home...I'm downloading it and giving it a shot!

I'm listening to it right now. I'm up to track 28. Listening to it while reading Lovecraft is not a good idea, by the way...freaked me right the f**k out.

I'm listening to it right now. I'm up to track 28. Listening to it while reading Lovecraft is not a good idea, by the way...freaked me right the f**k out.

Bah if you really want to freak, try watching the exorcist, while reading the Shining, and listening to the downward spiral.

------------Warning though do not take drugs while do this-------------

I think you're absolutely right. Reznor has made no bones about the fact that he hates the record industry and wants to see them burn. With Madonna and U2 abandoning the industry to do it their way, Radiohead doing their own thing, and other artists like Prince and Pearl Jam also pushing for things to really belong to the artists and technology enabling them to do it more and more, they may very well succeed in killing the current business models of the recording industry. I doubt they'll ever actually kill these suits that run the industry today, though. Those guys are like cockroaches and they'll find a way to keep making money off of it, one way or another.

jag

I doubt they'll ever actually kill these suits that run the industry today, though. Those guys are like cockroaches and they'll find a way to keep making money off of it, one way or another.

jag

Sadly true.

You know what would have been awesome though? If the download actually worked. I bought the $10 one, cause I want a hardcopy of the album. I download the file (took about 2 hours to order, then another 2 to download it) and find out it's corrupt.

I was able to get it from another source already, but still. They should have known that about a bajillion rabid NIN fans would swarm the site soon as word got out about this.

Also, to all those wondering, this album is NOTHING like anything they have ever done before. It was recorded in a 10 week span, with no real plan behind it. It's all instrumentals, that when played back to back form one giant, epic song. It's really incredible.

Also, anyone who didnt like Year Zero has no taste. The entire album, the ARG, the art, everything about it, was brilliant.

Please!:whatever:

Or maybe some of us loved his earlier work and felt he was losing his touch. Personally, I started to lose interest as he got older.

Lost that youthful anger and rage with growing up and the music got boring. I listened to a good number of tracks off of Year Zero and frankly a few of them sounded like it could have been something Madonna did, aside from voice/lyrics obviously.

Lost that youthful anger and rage with growing up and the music got boring. I listened to a good number of tracks off of Year Zero and frankly a few of them sounded like it could have been something Madonna did, aside from voice/lyrics obviously.
Plus he reportedly got sober.

And I think you have too much faith in Madonna. :oldrazz:

It's the same thing with Tori Amos. Her recent work is more pop, but it's still out of the mainstream and it's still got a different kind of sound to it. But it's definitely not similar to the stuff she was doing 10 years ago. She's changed as a person, and her music reflects that.

I understand if you don't like the musical route that Reznor has taken throughout the years, but to expect that his music to always sound the same is doing him a disservice as an artist.

Its mostly background tracks...buts its the nails

I downloaded from nin and got 9 tracks..will try the piratebay..as he told me to go there

justr realized those are 9 songs...35 are for purchase thru amazon

NIN is still good . I like alot of the new material and Trent Reznor's work ethic has improved. I want to just buy the regular cd but I'll have to scope out the options.

Please!:whatever:

Or maybe some of us loved his earlier work and felt he was losing his touch. Personally, I started to lose interest as he got older.

So because he matured as an artist, and stopped acting like a teenager, you dont like him anymore? And nothing on the disc sounds remotely like Madonnas techno-pop, unless you think Industrial and Techno are the same thing, in which case I dont expect you to like it, as you cant even grasp the concept of GENRES.

NIN is still good . I like alot of the new material and Trent Reznor's work ethic has improved. I want to just buy the regular cd but I'll have to scope out the options.

Just get the $10 one then. You get the music now, and the CD for most likely about $5 less than it'll cost in stores.

Just get the $10 one then. You get the music now, and the CD for most likely about $5 less than it'll cost in stores.

Do you know if it will be out for itunes.......the free download is not working for me.

No clue on itunes. It's up on Amazon already I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"