• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Dungeons & Dragons" Cartoon (1983-1986) - Thoughts/Memories?

view4.jpg

This thread needs more pictures uploaded. Here's a nice manga style Dungeons & Dragons piece of fan art I found.

Dungeons_n_Dragons_by_ShingoTM.jpg

I'd seen some of the fan-art and other pictures you posted, but I hadn't seen this one and I really liked it. It's in what some would call a "manga style", but the characters do lend themselves to it well.

As for the discussion about what a reboot series could be like, while restrictions on violence on network or cable TV cartoons are way ahead of where they were in the early 1980's, showing blade violence is still usually an ixnay unless one goes for "anime slash sound effect" styles like the recent TMNT cartoon did. While the show was written in the 1980's when most cartoons had little actual violence, the writing for the show seemed to demonstrate that the kids actually didn't want to kill anyone. That was what made "THE DRAGON'S GRAVEYARD" quite a thriller, because Hank was leading them towards breaking that character moral out of frustration and anger at Venger.

That said, look at poor Wolverine, who has claws he can rarely use in most cartoons. Therefore, I don't think the character's weapons need to be updated, and they usually seemed to fit the character's natures themselves. Hank was often a straight arrow as a leader. Eric, often a coward, had a shield to literally hide behind. Sheila, the shyest and most insecure of them, could become invisible (an irony as she feared being alone the most). Bobby, who was fearless and usually sought to overcompensate for being the youngest, had the biggest club around. Presto's magical hat was often as erratic as his confidence, but when it was on, it was on. Diana, being an acrobat before she entered the Realm, having a bo-staff to aid in that was hardly odd. In truth there is nothing wrong with these weapons these days; just in a modern show, Hank could actually zap orcs with stun-blasts, or Bobby and Diana could smack enemies aside. Donatello had a bo-staff and because he had the only weapon that was considered the least deadly of the Turtles, he was usually the one allowed the most direct hits on non-robot enemies back in the day. Cyclops is often the safest member of the X-Men in cartoons because blasting people with energy beams has been network friendly for ages; Hank could be the same. The kids were never bloodthirsty, and the one time they were was why it was a pivotal episode.

Besides, tell Captain America that a shield can't be used as an offensive weapon on occasion. In the last season in 1986 there were moments where Eric would literally charge at a horde of enemies (sometimes on purpose or in a panic), using his shield to repel them. Such a scene could be storyboarded to look much cooler today. On the other hand, I imagine a revamped show wouldn't have to resort to using a FLOWER to kill a monster.

I do agree that an "origin" episode for a modern revamp could do wonders. It would be nice to see the "real life" that was taken from these kids and why they were trying so hard to return to it. An updated series could also benefit from modern "subplot" arcs. While the original show did have some themes that ran through a few episodes, it wasn't as structured as the subplot arcs in "WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN" or "TMNT" (2003-2007) or "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN". Maybe before the modern version of "REQUIEM", we get hints that some of the kids might not be opposed to staying a little longer, for instance. Or that Eric isn't the only one hesitant to go on yet another death defying stunt. I always was curious if out of all of them, Presto might have been the most hesitant to go home by the end of Season 3; in the Realm, he was a wizard with a girlfriend. In the real world, he was a nerd who did card tricks. After Eric, Presto was probably my favorite character. The time he summoned an air-craft carrier made my jaw drop.

At the time, Eric was written into the show because networks had that "the complainer is always wrong" mantra they wanted to instill into kids to go along with whatever the group/team/family wanted (at least until the war on drugs started in the late 80's, then it was wise to not cave to peer pressure). As such, a modern show probably could have Eric acting more like he did by Season 2 or 3 than in Season 1. Even still, he often got some of the best lines.

I suppose a modern revamp would probably make the team more ethnically diverse to represent what a modern random collection of six kids might be like, since in 1983 Diana was the only one who wasn't white. Which I wouldn't mind so long as the core characters stayed the same. Greg Wiesman had the same idea when he made efforts to make Midtown high in "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN" and NYC in general more diverse than early 60's comics, yet was wise enough to not resort to stereotypes. Liz Allen was a Latina, but that didn't effect the character of Liz Allen; nor was Ned Leeds any different now that he was Ned Lee. And why not? With few exceptions, who a character is should be color blind. The problem comes when characters act under ethnic stereotypes, even soft ones. I say few exceptions because, well...would Shaft work any other way?

Although it is interesting that the original 80's cartoon is very popular in Brazil, which is more ethnically diverse than the show was. I suppose if a show is written well enough, none of that focus group stuff matters. Repeats of it were apparently airing in Brazil into the 21st century.

Still, I imagine a revamped cartoon could actually make some of the villains and dangerous more perilous for the kids, which is saying something. And you're right, "DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS" is more well known, as are games like EVERQUEST and WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

I'd seen some of the fan-art and other pictures you posted, but I hadn't seen this one and I really liked it. It's in what some would call a "manga style", but the characters do lend themselves to it well.

As for the discussion about what a reboot series could be like, while restrictions on violence on network or cable TV cartoons are way ahead of where they were in the early 1980's, showing blade violence is still usually an ixnay unless one goes for "anime slash sound effect" styles like the recent TMNT cartoon did. While the show was written in the 1980's when most cartoons had little actual violence, the writing for the show seemed to demonstrate that the kids actually didn't want to kill anyone. That was what made "THE DRAGON'S GRAVEYARD" quite a thriller, because Hank was leading them towards breaking that character moral out of frustration and anger at Venger.

That said, look at poor Wolverine, who has claws he can rarely use in most cartoons. Therefore, I don't think the character's weapons need to be updated, and they usually seemed to fit the character's natures themselves. Hank was often a straight arrow as a leader. Eric, often a coward, had a shield to literally hide behind. Sheila, the shyest and most insecure of them, could become invisible (an irony as she feared being alone the most). Bobby, who was fearless and usually sought to overcompensate for being the youngest, had the biggest club around. Presto's magical hat was often as erratic as his confidence, but when it was on, it was on. Diana, being an acrobat before she entered the Realm, having a bo-staff to aid in that was hardly odd. In truth there is nothing wrong with these weapons these days; just in a modern show, Hank could actually zap orcs with stun-blasts, or Bobby and Diana could smack enemies aside. Donatello had a bo-staff and because he had the only weapon that was considered the least deadly of the Turtles, he was usually the one allowed the most direct hits on non-robot enemies back in the day. Cyclops is often the safest member of the X-Men in cartoons because blasting people with energy beams has been network friendly for ages; Hank could be the same. The kids were never bloodthirsty, and the one time they were was why it was a pivotal episode.

Besides, tell Captain America that a shield can't be used as an offensive weapon on occasion. In the last season in 1986 there were moments where Eric would literally charge at a horde of enemies (sometimes on purpose or in a panic), using his shield to repel them. Such a scene could be storyboarded to look much cooler today. On the other hand, I imagine a revamped show wouldn't have to resort to using a FLOWER to kill a monster.

I do agree that an "origin" episode for a modern revamp could do wonders. It would be nice to see the "real life" that was taken from these kids and why they were trying so hard to return to it. An updated series could also benefit from modern "subplot" arcs. While the original show did have some themes that ran through a few episodes, it wasn't as structured as the subplot arcs in "WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN" or "TMNT" (2003-2007) or "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN". Maybe before the modern version of "REQUIEM", we get hints that some of the kids might not be opposed to staying a little longer, for instance. Or that Eric isn't the only one hesitant to go on yet another death defying stunt. I always was curious if out of all of them, Presto might have been the most hesitant to go home by the end of Season 3; in the Realm, he was a wizard with a girlfriend. In the real world, he was a nerd who did card tricks. After Eric, Presto was probably my favorite character. The time he summoned an air-craft carrier made my jaw drop.

At the time, Eric was written into the show because networks had that "the complainer is always wrong" mantra they wanted to instill into kids to go along with whatever the group/team/family wanted (at least until the war on drugs started in the late 80's, then it was wise to not cave to peer pressure). As such, a modern show probably could have Eric acting more like he did by Season 2 or 3 than in Season 1. Even still, he often got some of the best lines.

I suppose a modern revamp would probably make the team more ethnically diverse to represent what a modern random collection of six kids might be like, since in 1983 Diana was the only one who wasn't white. Which I wouldn't mind so long as the core characters stayed the same. Greg Wiesman had the same idea when he made efforts to make Midtown high in "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN" and NYC in general more diverse than early 60's comics, yet was wise enough to not resort to stereotypes. Liz Allen was a Latina, but that didn't effect the character of Liz Allen; nor was Ned Leeds any different now that he was Ned Lee. And why not? With few exceptions, who a character is should be color blind. The problem comes when characters act under ethnic stereotypes, even soft ones. I say few exceptions because, well...would Shaft work any other way?

Although it is interesting that the original 80's cartoon is very popular in Brazil, which is more ethnically diverse than the show was. I suppose if a show is written well enough, none of that focus group stuff matters. Repeats of it were apparently airing in Brazil into the 21st century.

Still, I imagine a revamped cartoon could actually make some of the villains and dangerous more perilous for the kids, which is saying something. And you're right, "DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS" is more well known, as are games like EVERQUEST and WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

I like your ideas of allowing the characters to do more offensively. I agree that Bobby & Diana should be able to use their Thunder Club & Javelin Staff to sweep their opponents aside, much like Donatello did with his bo staff on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And Hank blasting orcs, bullywugs, lizard men, etc with stun blasts is a GREAT idea. There's not much more that can be done with Sheila and her Invisibility Cloak, unless they decide to make her a black belt in karate and she starts kicking some orc butt while she's invisible. Presto should pretty much stay the same, however in a reboot I think they should probably make him a D&D geek as well, so he's memorized the strengths and weaknesses of just about every monster they meet. This makes him a slightly more valuable member of the team. As for Eric? Yeah, him bull rushing the enemies with his Griffon Shield, using it's power to knock down the orcs, etc that are standing in his way isn't such a bad use for him. Maybe when he starts acting less cowardly in later episodes, he can actually retaliate with some punches and kicks.

However, I still feel like he should (at least at some point in the series) acquire a sword to accompany his shield. And if you re-read my original post, I never suggested that the sword do any slashing damage. In fact I suggested that he perhaps acquire a sword rather like the villain who captured Dungeon Master (I can't remember the title of the episode, but I think the character's name was War Lord or War Monger or something similar). His sword never actually cut anything, it just encased whatever it hit in ice or crystal. In Eric's case I would make it ice so that the person could be thawed out no worse for wear, rather like when Ice Man would freeze criminals & supervillains in Spiderman & His Amazing Friends. Perhaps the could even do a remake of the episode in question, but change the end somewhat so that Erics runs off with War Lord's magic sword and keeps it for himself.

There are other ways they could give Eric a sword to compliment his shield without him actually having to cut or stab anyone. On Thundarr The Barbarian, Thundarr rarely attact any living creature with his Sunsword. Mostly he would only use it on robots and vehicles. If he used it on a creature, it was usually a creature created by magic and therefore not technically alive (like the dragon the wizard Kublai conjured in the episode Battle Of The Barbarians. Iether that or the creature is immune to the Sunsword, (like Arak the swamp creature in the episode Harvest Of Doom). When battling humans or mutants, he'd usually just cut whatever weapon the opponent is wielding in half and they'd run away scared. That or he'd pick them up and throw them once they were disarmed. Sometimes he'd use the Sunsword to cut a tree or a statue down ontop of his opponent, pinning them down and trapping them without actually hurting them. Perhaps, in a remake of the episode The Dragons' Graveyard, Eric finds a Vorpal Sword (just as they did in the original) and decides to keep it. Then he uses it in much the same way Thundarr used his Sunsword.

And let's not forget the animated series Conan The Adventurer. In that show, any time a serpent-man got too close to any weapon forged of starmetal, they'd be banished into The Abyss. Eric could acquire an enchanted sword with a similar power.

Other characters from Dungeons & Dragons had magical weapons too. The knight, Sir Strongheart (or was it "Goodheart"? Damn I hate not having that show on DVD anymore), he had an enchanted warhammer that shot energy blasts. In the episode The City At The Edge Of Midnight (or was it "Edge Of Tomorrow"?), the character they meet in the desert (I think his name was Rajiid) had a falchion or a scimitar which delivered sonic blasts whenever struck against a hard object. These are all options that could be used for Eric's sword.

In conclusion, I'm not saying that Eric should be killing orcs with his sword. But if he were to acquire one at some point during the show, he might be a little less of the cowardly buffoon and a little more badass.

You were right the first time; it was Strongheart with the "Enchanted Hammer". The man the kids meet in "CITY AT THE EDGE OF MIDNIGHT" was named Ramuud. I also have to say, speaking of that episode, it showed how far they were willing to push the envelope of a cartoon in the mid 1980's. The plot of it was that a demon is kidnapping children, even from the "real world" from beneath their beds (dragged kicking and screaming), to work as slave labor for his clock tower, seemingly forever. Now there's some nightmare fuel. Ramuud was probably one of the nicer characters the kids ran into, acting more like a father to them since he'd lost his own daughter.

I suppose it could work for a new series if the kids "leveled up" and not only Eric got an additional weapon, but some of the others as well. There was that moment in "THE DRAGON'S GRAVEYARD" where Eric tried using a sort of lightening spear.

Sheila's power was always passive, not unlike Kitty Pryde of the X-Men. Which was why I liked it. I suppose she could always just learn some self defense in the Realm (or from Diana), or could just get a little more competent with her cloak. She always seemed to wait too long to go invisible or become visible again too soon at times. She was the heart of the team and usually their most emotional member. She was usually the one crying tears of joy or sorrow.

You were right the first time; it was Strongheart with the "Enchanted Hammer". The man the kids meet in "CITY AT THE EDGE OF MIDNIGHT" was named Ramuud. I also have to say, speaking of that episode, it showed how far they were willing to push the envelope of a cartoon in the mid 1980's. The plot of it was that a demon is kidnapping children, even from the "real world" from beneath their beds (dragged kicking and screaming), to work as slave labor for his clock tower, seemingly forever. Now there's some nightmare fuel. Ramuud was probably one of the nicer characters the kids ran into, acting more like a father to them since he'd lost his own daughter.

I suppose it could work for a new series if the kids "leveled up" and not only Eric got an additional weapon, but some of the others as well. There was that moment in "THE DRAGON'S GRAVEYARD" where Eric tried using a sort of lightening spear.

Sheila's power was always passive, not unlike Kitty Pryde of the X-Men. Which was why I liked it. I suppose she could always just learn some self defense in the Realm (or from Diana), or could just get a little more competent with her cloak. She always seemed to wait too long to go invisible or become visible again too soon at times. She was the heart of the team and usually their most emotional member. She was usually the one crying tears of joy or sorrow.

Thanks for the info. I always liked The City At The Edge Of Midnight. It was one of the few episodes where Eric didn't act like a cowardly schmuck. Before going to bed, he says something like "I say we forget this whole 'City At The Edge Of Midnight' business". Then when the demon kidnaps Bobby, he says "Remember that guy who said 'Let's forget looking for the city'? Well forget forgetting it! I say let's go get Bobby!" I think that was probably the bravest I'd ever seen Eric.

I like your comparison of Sheila and Kitty Pryde. Maybe Sheila's use of her cloak can advance in much the same way Kitty's power did in X-Men. In the old '90s series, she did very little. But in Wolverine & The X-Men she would phase through soldiers/evil mutants then hit them from behind with a karate kick. Sheila could be much the same.

Here are some funny manips of scenes from the show:

HanksThoughts.jpg
discipline.jpg

ericnecklace.jpg
tightless.jpg

harem.jpg
bobbyeric.jpg

MakingMagic.jpg
yuck.jpg

SheilaOrc.jpg

:pal: Foot Fetish!

dd.jpg

THE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS DRINKING GAME

black.gif

[SIZE=+1]By Bugg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](With a few additions by Zak)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](Updated 8/23/99)[/SIZE]The rules are very simple:
Grab some friends.
Grab some beer. A lot of it.
Plop in front of the TV and have an all-night D&D marathon!

Take a shot whenever:
  • Venger says "Fool!"
  • Any kid says "Dungeonmaster!" in a tone of utter surprise when the little guy appears.
  • Any kid says "He's gone!" in the same tone after DM disappears.
  • Hank says "Oh no!"
  • Sheila says "I'm worried"
  • Uni repeats (in bleats) whatever Bobby says.
  • Hank repeats the gang's mission.
  • Hank says, "Come on, guys!"
  • Eric proves what a klutz he is by tripping and/or falling.
  • Eric says he wants to go home.
  • Eric makes a reference to his rich parents.
  • Diana says, "Let me try."
  • Sheila says, "Bobby, no!" or "Bobby, don't!"
  • Bobby ignores his sister.
  • Bobby threatens Eric.
  • You hear that wonderful aiiiiiiieeeeaaaagh! scream that belongs to the phantom kid. (is it Presto? is it Bobby? who knows!!)
  • Venger misses with a spell (you'd think that he'd hit something once in a while . . .)
  • An orc grunts instead of cutting one of the kids in two with his sword.
  • The kids ignore Uni's worried neighing and get into trouble.
  • Venger figures a really corny way of avoiding the words "kill" "death" or "dead." ("And she shall dream no more...")
  • The Cavalier, the guy with the shield that makes him practically invulnerable, hides behind someone else.
  • Bobby stupidly charges at something a million times his size (Tiamat).
  • The kids or the show make a Star Wars reference.
  • You wish Hank would just shoot the unicorn so that annoying whining would stop.
  • You wish Hank would just shoot the Cavalier so that annoying whining would stop.
  • You, personally, would have kicked the crap out of the DM before he could tell another annoying riddle.
  • The kids save a kingdom or befriend a king, but are penniless the following episode.
  • You wonder why the kids didn't run around collecting extra weapons from the Dragon's Graveyard (note: does not have to happen while watching said episode)
  • You wonder how the kids are getting enough protein in their diet when they never seem to catch whatever-it-is that they're hunting for lunch.
  • Presto's hat does something pun-ish.
  • Hank's bow proves to be the all-around-best-weapon.
  • You wonder why Venger's head doesn't tilt to one side all the time.
  • The kids almost make it home, but decide not to.
  • You wonder why they bother. It looks like fun, doesn't it?
  • Venger, conqueror of the Realm, loses to six kids and a baby unicorn.

Last edited:
I had started a thread on here about the D&D movies, and in it I had suggested a live action movie adaptation of the animated series. This is my dream cast of who should play each character. Some of them might be too old for the roles now though, but at the time that the photos were taken they would've been perfect.

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN AS HANK THE RANGER
hayden-christensen.jpg
Hank%20the%20Ranger.jpg

I didn't hate him as much as other people did in Attack Of The Clowns and Revenge Of The S#!t. I just thought the movies could've been better produced, written, and directed. IMHO, HC did a better job in the role than the kid who played Anikin in The Franchise Menace.

LINDSAY LOHAN AS SHEILA THE ROGUE
lindsay_lohan_umvd002.jpg
sheila.jpg

She's hot, she has red hair, she has freckles, and when she's on her A-Game she's a damn good actress. She's just made some poor professional and personal choices as of late. But if she can stay out of trouble (and rehab) she could knock this role out of the park.

TATIANA ALI AS DIANA THE AMAZON
8466610_tml.jpg
dianamoon1.jpg

Haven't seen her do anything since Fresh Prince Of Bel Air ended, but she was really good as Ashley on that show and she TOTALLY looks the part. And she's still young enough to play a teenager in movies.

TAD HILGENBRINCK AS ERIC THE PALADIN
3188821_gal.jpg
Eric_200x200.png

I totally see a live action movie version of Eric being essentially Stiffler from the American Pie movies. And who better to take on the role than the guy who played Stiffler's little brother in American Pie Presents: Band Camp?

JONATHAN LIPNICKI AS PRESTO THE WIZARD
83b73228-74c5-4bfd-9d66-3473e1b54d78_Jonathan_Lipnicki.jpg
presto.jpg

He totally stole the show in Jerry Maguire, is about the right age (maybe a little older, but he was perfect in that photo), and has the perfect look to play Presto.

Last edited:
As I can only upload 10 pictures per post, I had to do this in two installments.

RICHARD SANDRAK AS BOBBY THE BARBARIAN
Hercules%203.jpg
Bobby01c.jpg

Too old to play the role anymore (I think he's 18 now, and used to date Selina Gomez from Wizards Of Waverly Place), but back when that picture was taken (I believe he was 10 or 11 at the time) he would've been the perfect Bobby.

VERNE TROYER AS DUNGEON MASTER
verne-troyer.jpg
dungeon-master.jpg

He's 3' tall, bald, and funny as hell. Need I say more?

MICHAEL IRONSIDE AS VENGER
michael-ironside-pic.jpg
vengercastleback.jpg

Probably the best villain actor to ever grace the movie screen. He might not be an A-Lister, but he always brings his A-Game.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I always liked The City At The Edge Of Midnight. It was one of the few episodes where Eric didn't act like a cowardly schmuck. Before going to bed, he says something like "I say we forget this whole 'City At The Edge Of Midnight' business". Then when the demon kidnaps Bobby, he says "Remember that guy who said 'Let's forget looking for the city'? Well forget forgetting it! I say let's go get Bobby!" I think that was probably the bravest I'd ever seen Eric.

I like your comparison of Sheila and Kitty Pryde. Maybe Sheila's use of her cloak can advance in much the same way Kitty's power did in X-Men. In the old '90s series, she did very little. But in Wolverine & The X-Men she would phase through soldiers/evil mutants then hit them from behind with a karate kick. Sheila could be much the same.

That was probably one of Eric's bravest moments, but he has quite a few if you know how to look for them. "DAY OF THE DUNGEON MASTER" is among his best episodes. At the end he's willing to use whatever powers of the DM he can muster to occupy Venger so the others can go home. Heck, even in episode 2, "EYE OF THE BEHOLDER" (in which the kids run into a cowardly knight, Sir John, who they become convinced is heroic despite him aiding them a few times by sheer luck), Eric abandons a ticket home to help his friends in protecting Sir John and his son from a monster. That was usually why I found Eric interesting. It's no surprise when Hank or Diana do something brave or heroic. But because Eric was such a complainer, so easily frightened or rattled, and the most eager to return home, that when he did do something that was heroic or selfless, it stood out more. Sometimes even Eric didn't believe what he was doing!

Kitty Pryde wasn't in the 90's X-MEN series. In fact she was one of the only major X-Men of the 80's who didn't even get much of a cameo. Iceman was in one episode; Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Psylocke were in two episodes each; Banshee was in about three episodes; and Forge & Archangel showed up quite a few times (with Bishop and Cable showing up just enough to be annoying). But no Kitty Pryde. You must mean X-MEN EVOLUTION, from 2000-2003, where Kitty was one of the regular cast. But at any rate, yeah, I did see some similarities in Sheila, since she didn't have what many writers call a "point and shoot" power. But, yes, she could develop a little bit in a newer show.

Interesting drinking game and WIZARD style casting call. That's some risky casting with LiLo as Sheila, though. Verne Toyer as Dungeon Master is pretty interesting. Michael Ironside would be flipping AWESOME as Venger. And yeah, Bobby would probably be tough to cast, although as a character he was usually spunky enough to not be a boring kid without being too annoying. Aside for Lohan, your choices aren't bad. It couldn't be as bad as that actual D&D movie that Hollywood put out, right?

michael ironside is perfect for a number of cartoon/comic villains. i think he would be everyones choice, but he is perfect for venger.

This cartoon just screams nostalgia!

As far as violent cartoons go, did the parents not see Tom and Jerry? That cartoon to date is the most violent show ever created.

Anyway, i remember being so entrenched with these cartoons because 1) they were good in general and 2) they were always so involving.

D&D always used to get me so angry because even though these were adventures, you always knew that it was the dungeon master that orchestrated all of this crap and as a kid you just wanted these teenagers to get their asses back home.

People can say what they like about the censorships back then but you have to give these cartoon creators credit for delivering time testing and iconic shows that captured a generation.

With all the advancements and "progress" that's been made, I still can't believe there aren't any cartoons made in the last 12-13 years that comes close to the impact of toons from the 80s to mid 90s.

So wait, Venger is really the dungeon master's son?!?

when they made the film i so wanted it to be based on the cartoon, but alas it wasnt to be. i remeber a work colleague asking were the ranger was....

Possibly. It's never outright said that they're father and son, but it is implied. In the end of The Dragons' Graveyard, when Hank decides at the last second that he can't kill Venger and Dungeon Master shows up and sets him free, he refers to Venger as "My son". However this could simply be a figure of speach, like Ramuud calling Hank and the others "My children" in the episode The City On The Edge Of Midnight. He wasn't actually their father, but he thought of them in a fatherly way.

That was probably one of Eric's bravest moments, but he has quite a few if you know how to look for them. "DAY OF THE DUNGEON MASTER" is among his best episodes. At the end he's willing to use whatever powers of the DM he can muster to occupy Venger so the others can go home. Heck, even in episode 2, "EYE OF THE BEHOLDER" (in which the kids run into a cowardly knight, Sir John, who they become convinced is heroic despite him aiding them a few times by sheer luck), Eric abandons a ticket home to help his friends in protecting Sir John and his son from a monster. That was usually why I found Eric interesting. It's no surprise when Hank or Diana do something brave or heroic. But because Eric was such a complainer, so easily frightened or rattled, and the most eager to return home, that when he did do something that was heroic or selfless, it stood out more. Sometimes even Eric didn't believe what he was doing!
Day Of The Dungeon Master is another of my favorite episodes. And yeah, Eric was acting quite brave and selfless in that one too. However, if memory serves, that episode was from season 2, when the writers began to have Eric shed some of his cowardess. And I remember the Eye Of The Beholder episode. Even Eric seemed pretty surprised that he was willing to skip a free ticket home in order save Sir John. But there have been episodes where he just turned and walked away. There was one episode where Eric decided to go off on his own to try and find his own way home. He only rejoined the group because it was too scared to be by himself (although by rejoining the group he did inadvertantly save them by falling on the orcs).
Kitty Pryde wasn't in the 90's X-MEN series. In fact she was one of the only major X-Men of the 80's who didn't even get much of a cameo. Iceman was in one episode; Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Psylocke were in two episodes each; Banshee was in about three episodes; and Forge & Archangel showed up quite a few times (with Bishop and Cable showing up just enough to be annoying). But no Kitty Pryde. You must mean X-MEN EVOLUTION, from 2000-2003, where Kitty was one of the regular cast. But at any rate, yeah, I did see some similarities in Sheila, since she didn't have what many writers call a "point and shoot" power. But, yes, she could develop a little bit in a newer show.
Right, X-Men Evolution. It's been a while since seeing either show. But I knew she was on one of the earlier shows, and she never got to do much on there except avoid getting hit. Sometimes she'd use her phasing power to keep innocent civilians from being hurt too, but that's about it. She's much more active in the latest show.
Interesting drinking game and WIZARD style casting call. That's some risky casting with LiLo as Sheila, though. Verne Troyer as Dungeon Master is pretty interesting. Michael Ironside would be flipping AWESOME as Venger. And yeah, Bobby would probably be tough to cast, although as a character he was usually spunky enough to not be a boring kid without being too annoying. Aside for Lohan, your choices aren't bad. It couldn't be as bad as that actual D&D movie that Hollywood put out, right?

LiLo's earlier movies (The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, Mean Girls, etc) I thought were pretty good. Then she started with the heavy partying, banging anything with a pulse, drinking and snorting damn near anything put in front of her, and she starts making poor movie decisions (Herby Fully Loaded, I Know Who Killed Me, etc) just for a quick paycheck that she can send straight to her coke dealer. But if she can get back to her old form, she could hit the ball out of the park as Sheila. The only risk is whether or not she'll be able to stay clean and sober long enough to put in a good performance.

michael ironside is perfect for a number of cartoon/comic villains. i think he would be everyones choice, but he is perfect for venger.

Definitely. Shame Ironside doesn't get more work than he does.

This cartoon just screams nostalgia!

As far as violent cartoons go, did the parents not see Tom and Jerry? That cartoon to date is the most violent show ever created.

Anyway, i remember being so entrenched with these cartoons because 1) they were good in general and 2) they were always so involving.

D&D always used to get me so angry because even though these were adventures, you always knew that it was the dungeon master that orchestrated all of this crap and as a kid you just wanted these teenagers to get their asses back home.

People can say what they like about the censorships back then but you have to give these cartoon creators credit for delivering time testing and iconic shows that captured a generation.

With all the advancements and "progress" that's been made, I still can't believe there aren't any cartoons made in the last 12-13 years that comes close to the impact of toons from the 80s to mid 90s.

Well said.

Possibly. It's never outright said that they're father and son, but it is implied. In the end of The Dragons' Graveyard, when Hank decides at the last second that he can't kill Venger and Dungeon Master shows up and sets him free, he refers to Venger as "My son". However this could simply be a figure of speach, like Ramuud calling Hank and the others "My children" in the episode The City On The Edge Of Midnight. He wasn't actually their father, but he thought of them in a fatherly way.

In the un-produced script for "REQUIEM", the series finale that is available to read for free online and was actually performed as a radio play by professional actors (including the original actress for Sheila the Thief) in the 2006 BCI box set of the series, it is actually stated quite bluntly that Venger is in fact Dungeon Master's son. And if BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER comics can count as canon for the TV series (even issues not written by Joss Whedon), why not that?

Day Of The Dungeon Master is another of my favorite episodes. And yeah, Eric was acting quite brave and selfless in that one too. However, if memory serves, that episode was from season 2, when the writers began to have Eric shed some of his cowardess. And I remember the Eye Of The Beholder episode. Even Eric seemed pretty surprised that he was willing to skip a free ticket home in order save Sir John. But there have been episodes where he just turned and walked away. There was one episode where Eric decided to go off on his own to try and find his own way home. He only rejoined the group because it was too scared to be by himself (although by rejoining the group he did inadvertantly save them by falling on the orcs).

Right, X-Men Evolution. It's been a while since seeing either show. But I knew she was on one of the earlier shows, and she never got to do much on there except avoid getting hit. Sometimes she'd use her phasing power to keep innocent civilians from being hurt too, but that's about it. She's much more active in the latest show.

LiLo's earlier movies (The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, Mean Girls, etc) I thought were pretty good. Then she started with the heavy partying, banging anything with a pulse, drinking and snorting damn near anything put in front of her, and she starts making poor movie decisions (Herby Fully Loaded, I Know Who Killed Me, etc) just for a quick paycheck that she can send straight to her coke dealer. But if she can get back to her old form, she could hit the ball out of the park as Sheila. The only risk is whether or not she'll be able to stay clean and sober long enough to put in a good performance.

That's quite a risk these days. :p

Yeah, Kitty Pryde was more active in WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, although I probably thought she was cuter in X-MEN EVOLUTION. Not sure why.

The episode where Eric saves everyone by accidentally falling on some orcs and acting like he planned it (with everyone thinking he returned to save them) was pretty funny.

A scene from a classic episode (the guy in the tie is a German pilot from WWII).
dungeons.jpg

Another Manga style piece of Fan Art.

Another great episode, The Hall Of Bones, where the kids had to recharge their weapons.
hallbones_cap3.jpg

Just a really good picture of the whole cast of characters.
dungeons2.jpg

The title pretty much says it all.
25th.jpg

Another great pic.
overlord.jpg

A great pic, with every character ever created for the show.
ddwallpaper.jpg

I think I just found my Christmas card for this year, lol.
xmas2009.jpg

A little Fan Art here. Looks like Diana & Venger had a little midnight rendevouz.
divenger.jpg

The episode I was referring to where DM is captured.
dd_288x288.jpg

In the un-produced script for "REQUIEM", the series finale that is available to read for free online and was actually performed as a radio play by professional actors (including the original actress for Sheila the Thief) in the 2006 BCI box set of the series, it is actually stated quite bluntly that Venger is in fact Dungeon Master's son. And if BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER comics can count as canon for the TV series (even issues not written by Joss Whedon), why not that?
As I've said, my copy of the box set was stolen (is NOTHING sacred anymore?), so I've only watched/listened to that episode once. So I'll have to take your word for that, because quite frankly I don't remember them saying anything that definitive.
That's quite a risk these days. :p
She's been clean and sober for a while now (at least according to her reps). It's just no studio wants to risk having her fall off the wagon while they're filming, which is why she hasn't gotten any work for a while. If Someone were to produce this movie, I think she should be given a chance to redeem herself. I mean look at Robert Downey Jr. Besides acting ability, I tried to find actors who at least somewhat LOOK like the characters I want to cast them as. Look at each actor and then look at the picture of the character they're meant to portray next to them, and try to honestly tell me they weren't born to play that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"