Dwayne Johnson To Play MMA Fighter Mark Kerr In A24 Benny Safdie’s ‘The Smashing Machine’

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score

QguiGHD.png

Dwayne Johnson will play legendary MMA fighter from the no-holds barred era of UFC, Mark Kerr, in A24’s The Smashing Machine.

The movie, which the studio is producing and financing, puts them back in business with Benny Safdie, who co-directed and co-wrote one of their big hits, Uncut Gems ($50M domestic). Safdie also wrote the script for The Smashing Machine. Johnson and Safdie have been collaborators on the project since Johnson’s Seven Bucks Productions acquired the rights in 2019.

The pic will follow Kerr’s struggle with addiction, winning, love and friendship in the year 2000.

Johnson and Dany Garcia’s Seven Bucks Productions will produce alongside Safdie’s Out for the Count banner, Eli Bush and David Koplan.

Kerr is an American former wrestler and mixed martial artist. During his MMA career he was a two-time UFC Heavyweight Tournament Champion, World Vale Tudo Championship tournament winner, a PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion, 1992 NCAA National Wrestling Champion, 1994 National Freestyle Champion and 4x ADCC World Submission Champion. In 2003, Kerr was the subject of an HBO documentary titled THE SMASHING MACHINE, which detailed his MMA career fighting in Vale Tudo, the UFC and PRIDE.

Said Noah Sacco of A24, “Dwayne and Benny are singular talents, and their shared vision for Mark’s inspiring story is electrifying. We are deeply honored to have their trust as collaborators in bringing this incredibly special project to life.”

Johnson is represented by WME and Gang, Tyre, Ramer, Brown & Passman.

The other Safdie bro is the one with the cinematic eye, but I'll let them cook and taste after.

Or his ego was shot and he realized he’s not capable of leading his own franchise.

I won't go so far as to say he isn't capable of leading his own franchise. It's just that the persona he's crafted can only take him so far. It works well in ensemble stuff or when he has some sort of a foil. But on its own, it isn't enough to carry a film. Bautista saw the writing on the wall with that years ago which is why he has continued to develop his craft.

Johnson doesn't have a craft. He has a brand. And I think shedding that brand might be the best thing for it.

Or his ego was shot and he realized he’s not capable of leading his own franchise.
I won't go so far as to say he isn't capable of leading his own franchise. It's just that the persona he's crafted can only take him so far. It works well in ensemble stuff or when he has some sort of a foil. But on its own, it isn't enough to carry a film. Bautista saw the writing on the wall with that years ago which is why he has continued to develop his craft.

Johnson doesn't have a craft. He has a brand. And I think shedding that brand might be the best thing for it.
People used to compare him to Arnold, but Dwayne hasn't made one "classic" movie... he doesn't have anything close to Terminator, Total Recall, Predator, True Lies, etc. His biggest movie is probably Jumanji, and yeah that's not even really "his" movie. He's having a very bad run, so he needs a win.

People used to compare him to Arnold, but Dwayne hasn't made one "classic" movie... he doesn't have anything close to Terminator, Total Recall, Predator, True Lies, etc. His biggest movie is probably Jumanji, and yeah that's not even really "his" movie. He's having a very bad run, so he needs a win.

Yeah and all those movies you've mentioned had Arnold leading with a major directing talent. Johnson hasn't really done that (unless I'm forgetting). He just brings in hired guns. Safdie is a major change of pace in that regard so it does make what Johnson said about exploring humanity and what not feel a bit more genuine.

I wonder if they're going to give The Rock hair for this movie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"