Earth hour

Bnightwing

Sidekick
Reaction score
Google users in the United States will notice today that we "turned the lights out" on the Google.com homepage as a gesture to raise awareness of a worldwide energy conservation effort called Earth Hour. As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern displays use the same amount of power regardless of what they display. However, you can do something to reduce the energy consumption of your home PC by joining the Climate Savers Computing Initiative.
On Saturday, March 29, 2008, Earth Hour invites people around the world to turn off their lights for one hour – from 8:00pm to 9:00pm in their local time zone. On this day, cities around the world, including Copenhagen, Chicago, Melbourne, Dubai, and Tel Aviv, will hold events to acknowledge their commitment to energy conservation.
Given our company's commitment to environmental awareness and energy efficiency, we strongly support the Earth Hour campaign, and have darkened our homepage today to help spread awareness of what we hope will be a highly successful global event.

I got it from the google page I am gonna do it what about you guys?

Right now I'm printing out over one hundred pages for a course I begin on Monday. I couldn't be more ashamed of myself, but they're requiring it.

I should stop farting for a day. That'll balance it out.

Psycho Symbiote, ActuallyRobin, Addendum, afbratt, Amazing Afroman, anarchistguy, Angelus88, Angel_Faerie, Anjow1060, Anton Chigurh, Apollo, Archangel, Arcturus, Armand Z Trip, Armored Avenger, Ashkong, aSyluM7, Balthus Dire, Banana-Hotdog, Bat Brain, Batman>all, Batman137, batman44, BatMatt, bell110, BETArayBill, BigTonyVegas, Bishop, BlackLantern, Blader5489, bnightwing, buddha182, Bullza, bunk, Canis Sapiens, Carcharodon, Catman_prb, cerealkiller182, CindyM, co2, Contraryxwise, Cory, Cosmic, Crazyclown_uk, Darkly Dexter, dark_b, Dark_Lord, DieSmiling, Dirt Like Me, DJSCARLET, Doomofman, Dr Lee, Dr. Teols, dubdue, femidk1, Fitzwah, Fred-Green, Ghostvirus, Godzilla, Green Lantern, guitarkhero311, guitarsingerguy, hammerhedd11, Harvey_Dent, hquinn08, Hushed, imdaly, Irony-Man, IRON_Lad, J Alba's Lover, JAPPO, javi1024, Jerry!, jimhorse, JLanphear, Johnny Blaze, joke, jokersminion, JP, JTStarkiller, KALEL114, kingman, krinshaw2, LadyVader, Lead_Tester, Lemaris, LeroyTheGreat38, LibraryKrystal, Logan's Lady, longgun, Luchastyle, M.O.Steel, Maestro8000, Majik1387, MarkJK1441, MaskedManJRK, mathius, Matt Murdock, Mee, michael, Milu, Mongo Slade, MonkeysInACan, mxn36, napier83, nerium, NickSox, nogap87, nolan's roll'n, NowufaceDoom, ObakeTora, OctoHaz, odiin, Ol'Canucklehead, Omega Wizard, Orin, Parker756, Pickle-El, Pile-Ou-Face, PJBoy, Poetic Chaos, Princesskitty30, protocida, Psychid, punk, RAMAD, Rando Aces, remytampa, RGDurant, Rocker22, RockSP, rory_bat, S. Grundy, Saint, Sandman138, Sandouras, Scooter, Screwpa!, sensi, Shivsguy616, Silver Spider, Snoo, someone, Spectacular23, Spider-Man9X17, Spider-ManHero12, SpideyVille007, Star, StefanGrey, Sunshade, Super Kal, SuperAdam, Superhobo, SupermanBeyond, SWAT, Symbiotic, Syncos, Telekinetic, terry78, The Chibi Kiriyama, The Guardian, The Joker_1000, The Weather God, TheBatman072, thejon93, thesushi, TheVelvetOnion, tom-wolfe, toxk, Two-Face, ultimatefan, Upset Spideyfan, Valorman, Vampyre_Lestat, venom892, Venomfan, Visionary, Volton 4, Webhead2006, why_so_serious?, wiegeabo, witness7, Wolfwood, XxBornFreexX, Überlibran, yenaled, Yurka
+ 495 Guests.

Gore's minions are coming for our asses!

you guys go ahead and turn off your power. Ill be watching tv.

I saw that on Google too; it's all black. I thought something was wrong with my computer for a second.

I'm never one to follow these "movements." If I do turn things off from 8 to 9 tonight, it'll be because I'm reading.

Im on my computer with a light on while watching Torchwood.....the tree huggers can *^%%^ my &%^%%

It's too late now.
Should've told me earlier.

I'm getting ready to pop in Twin Peaks, so the lights will go off.

Then again, I always turn the lights off when I watch a DVD

I'm having a G.I. Joe marathon and cooking steak, halibut, shrimp and a pasta dish. Last thing I'm doing right now is turning the power off. Plus I'm watching the NCAA tourney on the other TV.

Yeah, my apartments turned off all outside lights.........not cool in my neighborhood......lol

Well, as I was walking my dogs I noticed that the security was out and walking around.....they usually don't do that.......so I guess they are thinking the same thing...lol

Ill make sure I bring treats....that Louie frightens me....such a fierce creature....

How much of that saved energy from 1 hour of not being used is used back up simply by turning everything back on at the end of the hour?

I remember hearing something about how it costs more energy to turn the power off and on than it does to just keep it on or something like that. Of course the duration of the power being turned off determines if energy is saved or actually more is used, so I'm curious how much energy is saved here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"