Eddie Brock's "Superman"

No Erica Durance as Lois? I'm dissapointed in you Edward. :nono:

This is odd. I can't see BL's post. :csad:

EDIT: Now I see it. Well, BL, that's why I explained in the preface that this is my OWN Superman. My casting choice for Lois is the just the beginning. Wait until we get into Superman's Kryptonian origin. Then the fun begins. :super:

Part Eight: Correspondence

Clark had convinced Perry to let him stay late at the Daily Planet. It was a hard-fought battle, but Clark emerged victorious. Clark didn't have a computer in his apartment yet, and - to be perfectly honest - he wanted to mess around with the Daily Planet database. Nothing serious, though. Clark just wanted to get caught up with the past few years' worth of news in the Big Apricot. First, however, he had an obligation to fulfill.

TO: [email protected]
SUBJECT: Settling In
Dear Mom,
When people used to talk about life in the "big city," they weren't exaggerating. Sometimes I feel like I've landed on a distant planet or something. That said, I truly like it here. Sure, the people can be a little self-centered, but I think I'm going to change that. I really do. I haven't had an opportunity to show myself yet, but I feel it coming. Keep you eyes to the sky, and watch the headlines carefully. Oh, and you'll be happy to know that I got a nice apartment, and Mr. White at the Planet seems still willing to give me a shot. Just pray that I don't blow it. Pass on my best wishes to Dad. I'll be in touch again soon.
Love,
Clark

Clark examined the email before hitting send. He needed to be careful about what he said - in case the email was intercepted somehow - but he felt he was being fairly cautious. If a complete stranger read this, they wouldn't see anything more than an excited guy writing back to his parents. Certainly they wouldn't be able to deduce that he was an alien or that he had amazing abilities. If anything, he just sounded overzealous. Clark could settle for overzealous.

Sitting in the dark of the Daily Planet newsroom, Clark looked around for a moment. It was a pointless effort. He knew he was alone. But for some inexplicable reason, he needed to be sure. Once his hopes were confirmed, Clark bent down and began typing away at the computer. He minimized his internet browser window and brought up the Daily Planet archives.

ENTER SEARCH TERMS:

Clark hesitated. Did he really want to do this? Was it an invasion of privacy? After a second, Clark smiled. What harm could come of it?

LOIS LANE

Clark hit enter, and his computer screen was bombarded with information. Clark wasn't sure what to make of it all at first. He was beginning to have second thoughts about this harmless, little search. If he needed to know anything about Lois, he should just ask her. Clark moved the pointer to click out when articles began to appear. The headlines stuck out and caught Clark's attention. He took his hand off the mouse for a second.

MY NIGHT WITH A MULTI-BILLIONAIRE
AN INTERVIEW WITH OLIVER QUEEN

Interesting, to be sure, but not Clark's cup of tea. He had heard about Oliver Queen before, but the man sounded like nothing more than your average rich guy. Clark minimized the article.

GOTHAM'S PRODIGAL SON RETURNS
THE CAPTIVATING TALES OF BRUCE WAYNE'S WORLDLY TRAVELS

That intrigued Clark a bit more, but he did little more than skim the article. Everyone wanted to know what Bruce Wayne had done on a decade-long trip around the world, but his lips were more or less sealed. It seems that Lois embellished a little to make up for his silence. "Captivating tales?" Not entirely. Clark moved it aside.

THE AGE OF THE 'SUPERHERO'
AN IN-DEPTH EXAMINATION OF A STARTLING TREND

This made Clark stop. The word "superhero" seemed something more likely for comic books than legitimate journalism. But if there was one thing Clark's travels had taught him, it was that he wasn't the only person with gifts. Perhaps it was naive to even think so, but Clark's eyes were opened. He met many people who did things beyond the realm of comprehension. He heard even more stories of magnificent feats. In some way, part of Clark wanted to reach out to those people. After all, they understood his trials and tribulations better than anyone else.

"...what defines a 'superhero?' How do we find these gods living among men? After all, only a few have made themselves known to the public. When I was attending the University of Miami, I had a boyfriend named Arthur who was the fastest swimmer I had ever known. But I wouldn't presume to accuse him of being half-fish. Where do we draw the line between maximum human potential and 'superhuman' potential?"

Clark was genuinely interested in Lois's findings. It seemed that she had uncovered tons of evidence of other "superheroes" across the globe. Clark began to wonder if his name was fit to be added among such an exclusive group. His heart and his mind were in the right place, but was he worthy to be considered "super?" The matter distressed him greatly. Deep down, he knew of only one way to solve the dispute. He would have to reveal himself and see how the public reacted.

But the time would have to be right.

Clark checked his watch and decided that he had overstayed his welcome. He proceeded to close out all the search results that corresponded with "Lois Lane." As he was doing so, a new headline caught his eye. This time, the article wasn't written by Lois - rather, this one was written about her. The headline made Clark cringe and instinctively clench his fist.

LUTHOR POPS THE QUESTION
PHILANTHROPIST BUSINESSMAN AND REPORTER TO BE WED

Clark tried not to lose his temper. Suddenly, his anger changed into resolve. Clark got rid of the article and was faced again with a blank Daily Planet archive prompt.

ENTER SEARCH TERMS:

Clark patiently watched the blinking cursor. He cracked his knuckles and started banging away at the keyboard.

ALEXANDER 'LEX' LUTHOR

Clark was hit with even more results than Lois had yielded. Clark began to skim the headlines, and he became sick to his stomach at the sight of them. Luthor was slime. Worse, he was popular slime. Because he threw money around like nobody's business, people refused to look past the fake smile into the man underneath. Clark didn't make that mistake. He could see through walls. He could certainly see through Luthor.

MYSTERIOUS ACCIDENT CLAIMS LUTHORS
POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING 'FOUL PLAY' ALLEGATIONS

Clark remembered hearing about that. Lex Luthor's wealthy parents died tragically in a car accident. There was nothing "tragic" about it, though. At first, the police had noticed that the brake lines were cut. But when no further evidence was uncovered, they were forced to drop the case. They ruled it as a simple accident and moved on. They didn't want to suspect the truth. It was the same truth that was validated by the next headline.

LEX LUTHOR USES INHERITANCE TO FUND COMPANY
TENTATIVE NAME CHANGE TO 'LEXCORP' IN WORKS

It just so happened that Luthor inherited millions of dollars after his parents' death. That money went towards a college education and the funding of the now defunct LuthorCorp. Luthor changed the name to LexCorp and completely rearranged his father's business. It was so clear that Luthor killed his parents for the money, but the police never brought up charges against then 15 year-old Luthor. After all, what kind of teenager was capable of murdering his parents?

Clark wasn't sure what exactly Luthor was capable of.

LEXCORP BUYS OUT S.T.A.R. LABS
STOCKS PLUMMET AFTER STONE ACCIDENT

Luthor's cunning business style at work. Professor Silas Stone was working on a top secret project when everything went wrong. Police refused to disclose any information about the accident, but Stone's wife was killed and his son was badly injured. Clark couldn't remember what happened to the Stone family after that. But Lex wasted no time. As soon as S.T.A.R. Labs began to fall apart as a result of the accident, Luthor swooped in and bought the company - making it a subsidiary of LexCorp. He wasted no time on grieving for the Stones' loss.

LUTHOR POPS THE QUESTION
PHILANTHROPIST BUSINESSMAN AND REPORTER TO BE WED

Seeing the article again angers Clark more the second time around. He immediately closed out the Daily Planet archive browser and shut off the computer. With the blueish glow of the monitor gone, the Daily Planet newsroom was enveloped in shadow. Clark stumbled into a desk and knocked over a lamp on the way out. He couldn't help but smile at the fact that his Clark Kent persona persisted - even when no one was around to see it.

**** it. After reading that chapter, and seeing TIH, my desire to see cinematically written tales of DC characters with ties to the same universe has increased.

Master Bruce's "Batman" is coming. Mark my words.

**** it. After reading that chapter, and seeing TIH, my desire to see cinematically written tales of DC characters with ties to the same universe has increased.

I smell a collaboration in the future. :up:

(Don't you have a Superman post to make? :cmad:)

I do. And I looked to this new chapter for inspiration. Needless to say, it did so. (Even though, oddly, my post has virtually nothing to do with Clark Kent. :huh:)

And I'll write a GA fanfic.

If I weren't lazy and completely uncapable of writing a fan-fiction, I'd so do the Flash. With Erica Durance as my Iris West, since Eddie isn't using her to play Lois Lane.:up:

Next segment is coming. I figured out exactly what I'm doing. I just need to - well - do it. :woot:

Keep 'em coming, Eddie. Reading a new chapter is always highlight of my day.

Part Nine: The Opportune Moment

Clark nibbled on the end of his pen as Perry White spoke. Perry had called for a staff meeting to discuss forthcoming articles and such for the Planet. He was currently assigning pieces to different writers, and so Clark took the opportunity to space out. Staring out at the glittering Metropolis skyline, Clark imagined himself soaring over the millions of residents of this densely-populated city. He reprimanded himself immediately, however, reminding himself that his time would come. He couldn't just throw on his suit and introduce himself to the world. He may not have a background in acting, but even Clark Kent knew the importance and significance of a good entrance. When the time would come, Clark would know it.

"KENT!" Perry barked. Clark snapped out of his daze just in time to see Perry fuming. Evidently, he must have been calling Clark's name multiple times. The entire room of assembled journalists, photographers, and other staff members stared at Clark. Realizing the attention he was receiving, Clark stopped nibbling on his pen and sat up straight. Perry adjusted his collar, cleared his throat, and announced, "Kent, you're going to be doing a little piece for me. I want to know how rising gas prices are going to effect the Police Department's ability to do their job."

Clark sighed. It was another bit-piece. He had expected to not be taken seriously in such a competitive environment, but he was growing tired of getting all the most boring stories. He needed a break, and a plan was already formulating in his head. In no time at all, Clark Kent was going to be an ace reporter for the most popular newspaper in the world. Or so he hoped.

"Any questions?" Perry asked rhetorically. Everyone knew not to question his judgment. Everyone, that is, except one raven-haired reporter.

Lois cleared her throat to get Perry's attention. Perry's back was turned to Lois, but Clark could see him roll his eyes. "Chief, why can't I do the piece on LexCorp's newest technology?" she asked indignantly.

Perry turned and held up three fingers. "Three little words, Lane," he growled. "Conflict. Of. Interest." Perry shook his head and went back to collecting his things. Lois was visibly unsatisfied. Perry's face started to turn red as Lois tapped her heel impatiently. "End of discussion, Lane," he muttered. His tone made the message clear.

But if Lois Lane were the type of person to accept rejection, she would working as a Daily Planet receptionist - not a journalist. Her tenacity served her well in the field. In the office? Not so much.

The last of the staff were filing out of the boardroom when a deep rumbling could be heard. Everyone - even Lois and Perry - stopped. For a moment, the Daily Planet was still. Then, there was a second wave of rumbling.

"Is that thunder?" one reporter asked aloud.

Jimmy shook his head. "No way," he assured his colleagues. "The forecast was sunny and warm. I've got tickets for the Meteors game tonight."

It would seem, though, that Jimmy was proven wrong as the rumbling continued. Clark seemed to be the only other one who was sure it wasn't thunder. Being the closest to the window, Clark lowered his glasses and peered up at the sky. It was as blue as he had ever seen it. Moments later, the rumbling was accompanied by the shaking of the Daily Planet Building. Clark looked back over to the boardroom to see glasses of water vibrating. As the shaking intensified, panicked shrieks could be heard coming from inside the building.

"Earthquake?" Jimmy asked no one in particular.

Clark didn't answer. The God's honest truth was that he didn't know. Clark watched as a skyscraper in the distance wobbled and collapsed. The lights in the Daily Planet boardroom flickered. Clark turned around and told Jimmy with a grim expression, "I don't think you're going to that game tonight, Jimmy."

Perry White clapped his hands loudly. "People, people!" he shouted, trying to speak over the nervous whispers and shouts. "In case you didn't realize, this is a news story waiting to happen! We pride ourselves on getting the story first, so hop to it! God knows that if you don't..."

Perry silenced himself. The spot where Lois was once standing was now empty. Neither Perry nor Clark had seen her leave. Perry was going to joke that Lois would beat everyone to the punch, but apparently, that's exactly what she was going to do. He wouldn't admit it, but Perry was worried. Lois had a habit for getting in over her head. If this was some kind of earthquake, Lois would take a taxi right to the epicenter. She was going to put herself in serious danger to get a story.

It would be admirable - if it wasn't so damn stupid.

There was so much activity in the boardroom and the adjoining newsroom that Clark was able to slip out as well. Unlike Lois, however, Clark doubted anyone would notice his absence. That worked perfectly in Clark's favor. Whatever was going on, this seemed to be Clark's moment. He felt it in his very heart and soul. This was it.

Clark walked briskly over to the elevators, but as he approached, the doors swung open and reporters filed out onto the floor. Clark hung a sharp left and walked over to the pay-phones situated to the left of the elevator doors. He picked up the receiver and pretended to dial while he waited for the elevators to clear out. When the coast was clear, he slammed the receiver down and approached the elevator door. After checking once more, Clark wriggled his fingers into the crease and forced the doors open. He was greeted by an empty elevator shaft. Clark slid his body through the doors and allowed them to slam shut. Finally, some privacy.

Across town, Lois leaned forward in her seat and yelled at her taxi driver. "C'mon! Keep going! We're only a few blocks away!" It was so typical. Sometimes, Lois felt like she was the only one in this town with a spine. She wasn't afraid to walk right into danger.

The taxi driver shook his head violently. Sweat was beginning to bead on his brow. "No, lady, this is as close as I'll take you," he explained nervously. The rumbling was louder, and the shaking more pronounced. He knew he had made a mistake by accepting this fare. This woman was clearly crazy. Throwing up his hands, he announced, "You're on your own!"

Lois sighed frustratedly. "Fine!" She shoved the money she owed into the taxi driver's hand and stepped out of the taxi. She took care to slam the door on her way out. As she did, something caught her eye. She looked up to the sky, but nothing was there. Even so, Lois could have sworn she saw something. She shook her head and focused on the task at hand. She still had a few more blocks before she could see what was really going on.

Jimmy positioned himself carefully on the rooftop. While Perry freaked out about Lois's disappearance, Jimmy took the opportunity to sneak out for himself. Jimmy had hopped into his car and driven as close to the rumbling as he could get. Feeling that he was still a safe distance away, Jimmy parked his car and scrambled to the roof of the tallest building in the neighborhood. Jimmy set up his tripod and waited for an opening. In his gut, he got the feeling that something big was about to happen.

Clark didn't know what to make of it. He watched cautiously from a distance as he planned his next move. Clark didn't have many expectations, but this certainly was not one of them. Standing below him, trashing the city, was something that appeared to be an eight-story tall skeleton - made completely of metal. Clark was under the impression that robots were the work of comic books and science fiction movies. Then again, Clark didn't have room to talk - especially considering what he was about to do.

Jimmy peered through his camera's viewfinder when the shaking became much more violent. Jimmy looked up to see the building in front of him about to collapse. Jimmy closed his eyes, hoping for a painless end. However, the building did not crush him. When Jimmy realized he wasn't going to die, he managed to open one eye. The sight was so magnificent that it forced Jimmy to open both eyes and lean forward. A giant robot was rampaging through Metropolis. Surrounding it was a blue and red blur. Jimmy was so dumbfounded that he forgot to get a picture. By the time he remembered the camera, his line of sight was obscured. Jimmy cursed himself.

Clark made another pass, but the robot did not slow down. Clark began to wonder if this thing could even think. Maybe it could communicate. Clark decided to try that. He flew back around and hovered in front of the robot's cold eyes. "I'm only going to ask you once," Clark announced with newfound confidence. Clark folded his arms. "Stop at once." No longer speaking in a timid tone, Clark's voice was nothing short of heroic. Even Clark was impressed by it. The robot, however, was not.

The next thing Clark knew, the robot had raised a giant, metallic hand and swatted him away like a simple nuisance. Clark came crashing down into a double-parked SUV. The driver's side of the SUV was totally smashed. Clark was completely unharmed. He had just been dazed by the robot's attack. Luckily, he came back to his senses with just enough time to roll away from a metallic heel. The robot flattened the already broken remains of the SUV. Clark now knew one thing for sure. This thing was trying to kill him.

Clark flew straight up and transferred all of his kinetic energy into one crushing uppercut. The robot's head snapped straight back as Clark came to a halt. Then, with a metallic crunch, the robot's head righted itself. Clark could almost swear that the robot was grimacing. Clark was so focused that he failed to realize that the attack was coming from the side. The robot clapped its hands together, crushing Clark inside.

Jimmy raced along the rooftops to get another clear shot. Normally, he would never be this brave, but the adrenaline was turning him into a totally different person. He leaped fearlessly from one roof to the next - until he finally had an opening. Jimmy fumbled with his camera before lining up the shot. His finger began to depress the button when something happened. Jimmy looked up from his camera as the robot's hands were thrust apart. Jimmy couldn't believe his eyes, but he was sure he could see a man wearing a red cape in between the robot's hands. This time, Jimmy remembered his job, and he lined up the shot again. He pressed the button, but the Auto-Focus kicked in. By the time the camera took the picture, the robot and the caped man had gone tumbling downward - out of frame. Jimmy cursed again.

Clark didn't know what he was doing. As soon as he broke free of the robot's crushing grip, he flew straight forward and tackled the metallic fiend. Clark and the robot crashed down into the street, causing all kinds of collateral damage. Clark realized that he needed to end this before it got any worse. He could never live with himself if someone got hurt.

The robot reached up and grabbed onto two buildings for support. As it squashed the top stories of those buildings, it pulled itself to its feet. The robot had only begun to sit up straight when Clark came bursting through its chest. Scrap metal flew everywhere as Clark took to the skies and turned back around. The robot shuddered uncontrollably. Clark flew down to its level and smiled. "Missing something?" he asked playfully. Clark held up his hands to reveal the robot's dislodged power core. Clark effortlessly tossed the power core over his shoulder. He hovered closer until he was inches away from the robot's cranium. With a simple flick, the robot collapsed. The day had been won for Clark. But it was not over.

Clark tore open the robot's skull and rummaged through the parts. Finally, he found something that he was looking for. It was a big radio transmitter. Clark realized that if the robot wasn't being controlled manually, it was being controlled remotely. This transmitter was the key to finding the madman behind all this. Using his amazing vision, Clark was able to literally see the radio frequency that the robot was broadcasting on. Now, it was simply a matter of following the trail all the way back to the beginning. Then, he could get some questions answered.

Lois was frozen in place. Her mouth was agape, and her eyes were wide. She had witnessed the entire battle, and it blew her away. The robot alone would have been enough to astound her. But that wasn't it. No, Lois was concerned with the other combatant. The man in the red cape. He had done things Lois could only dream of. He could fly! He could take a hit without so much as a drop of blood! He was strong! He was fast!

He was super.

There won't be a wait for the next segment. I guarantee that. I almost typed it up tonight, but I decided to pace myself a little.

Part Ten: Answers

Perry thrust the camera back into Jimmy's unexpecting hands. Jimmy fumbled with the camera for a moment before cradling it carefully. He let out a sigh of relief - which caused it to wobble. Jimmy gripped on tightly as Perry spoke. "Okay, I get that there was a giant robot. You certainly have enough pictures to prove that," Perry conceded, "But about this 'flying man...'"

"Chief, I'm not making this up!" Jimmy swore. "He was real!"

"Then show me a picture!" Perry demanded. He held out his hand, but Jimmy had nothing to offer. After a moment, Perry sighed exasperatedly and withdrew his hand.

Jimmy's mouth wavered as he searched for the proper explanation. Finally, he blurted out, "I told you already! I couldn't get a picture! This guy was too--"

"Fast," Perry interrupted tersely. His expression was grim. "Yes, you did tell me that already. And I told you that I can't possibly put that on a front page - not without evidence!" Perry's already short patience was wearing thin.

"Does an eyewitness account qualify as evidence?" Lois called from the doorway. Perry motioned for her to come in. Putting a hand on her hip, Lois explained, "I know it may sound like Jimmy's just been reading too many comic books, but he's telling the truth."

Perry snorted. He and Lois had a very love-hate relationship. "How would you know?" he inquired accusingly.

Lois brushed the hair out of her face and sat down. "Simple. I was there," she explained calmly.

By that point, Perry looked all but ready to faint. Loosening his collar, he croaked, "And you can report exactly what happened?" If this 'flying man' was real, then the Daily Planet was about to have one of the most exciting stories to hit Metropolis. And if Lois's name was on the byline, it only added to the suspense.

"Every breathtaking detail," Lois assured her boss. The smirk on her face was unmistakable.

Perry threw up his hands. "Go. Go!"

On the outskirts of the city, Clark approached the source of the mysterious signal. Rocketing at jet-like speeds, the facility appeared on the horizon in a matter of seconds. Clark slowed down to take in his surroundings. Using his telescopic vision, Clark read the company logo emblazoned on the side of what looked like an airplane hanger. The sight of it made his fists clench.

LEXCORP.

Clark couldn't say he was surprised. Not letting this development faze him, Clark burst through the side of the hangar and found it mostly empty. The facility was littered with computer and robotic parts. A few computer monitors blinked lifelessly. Clark wasn't sure what he was dealing with. Then, at the far end of the hangar, he saw a figure. Upon closer examination, Clark realized that it was a man. He was kneeling in front of a computer screen that was broadcasting static. At the man's feet were what appeared to be futuristic gloves and a visor. Clark deduced them to be how this man controlled the robot.

As Clark drew nearer, he realized that the man was sobbing quietly. He kept repeating, "My precious creation..."

Clark grabbed the man by his shirt collar and raised him off the ground. Turning him around, Clark stated, "While we're on the subject, let's talk about that."

The man's eyes grew wide as he realized who he was dealing with. "You...you destroyed...Mark I...my precious creation...my precious Metallo..."

"That's right. I did," Clark admitted proudly. He raised a fist to intimidate the stuttering man. "And I won't stop there if I don't get some answers." Clark's threats were empty, of course, but there was no need to let the man know that.

With one more breathless gasp, the man fainted. Clark thought he may be faking, but he listened as the man's heartbeat slowed. It was real. Clark grimaced and lowered the man to the ground. "Fine," he growled. "If you won't talk, I'll go to the source."

Approximately five seconds later, Lex Luthor was enjoying a pleasant game of chess when the doors to his office burst open. Luthor put down the rook he was holding and sat up straight. Because of the poor lighting in the room, Luthor could not see who had entered so abruptly. Neither man said anything. Suddenly, something slid across the floor and hit the front of Luthor's desk. The chess pieces rattled.

"Explain that," the man commanded. His tone was stern and unfaltering. He meant business.

Luthor stood up and peered over the edge of his desk. He recognized the body that was resting on the floor - apparently unconscious. "That's John Corben. He works just a few miles away in one of my older facilities. Robotics, I believe, are his specialty," Luthor explained.

"You can say that again," the man responded coldly. "After all, it was his robot that was attacking the city."

Luthor appealed repulsed. "You mean to tell me that thing was one of Corben's creations?" he asked in shock. He looked down at the unconscious man at the foot of his desk. "I can't believe he'd be capable of something like that."

"It's amazing what men are capable of when their boss orders them," the man accused. From the shadows, Luthor could see him fold his arms.

Luthor placed a hand on his heart. "You don't mean to imply...?"

"Save it," the man sneered. He stepped forward, and Luthor's eyes were drawn to the strange symbol on his chest. "Your act won't work with me."

"Act?" Luthor repeated with a strange expression - as though the word were foreign to him. He took his seat again. Folding his hands, Luthor continued, "I can assure you that I am very disturbed by this revelation. I simply don't have time to monitor all the activities of my personnel - especially when they're so far away from headquarters. I simply put my trust in them and hope they do the right thing."

Luthor looked down at Corben and frowned.

"My trust, it seems, was poorly misplaced."

Ignoring Luthor's speech, the man asked, "How was it supposed to go down, Luthor? Let me guess. You let Corben do a little damage first - wait until the death count is high enough. Then, you swoop in with some advanced LexCorp weapon, and you come out looking like the hero." The man's cynicism was piercing.

"Well, you're partially right," Luthor admitted with a little smile. "I was looking into options on how to stop this thing - using LexCorp technology - but my primary concern was the safety of the city. Whether I'm a 'hero' or not is irrelevant."

The man scoffed.

"I suppose I have you to thank for putting an end to this madness," Luthor added. By now, he's realized who he's dealing with. Word spreads fast in a city as big as Metropolis, and word about a 'flying man' most certainly reached Luthor's ear with due haste. Luthor was very interested in meeting this man. He wanted to figure out what kind of technology he was using. LexCorp had been working on a battlesuit that could give a soldier these kinds of abilities, but field tests were months - maybe years - in the future. Luthor found it incomprehensible that someone beat him to the punch.

The man took another step forward. The bright colors of his outfit were coming into view. "I neither expect nor require your thanks," he announced bitterly.

"A man who's not in it for the glory? I can respect that," Luthor admitted sincerely. "The world needs more of them."

"For once, we agree, Luthor. The world does need more people like me. That is, people who won't buy into your lies. People who can't be intimidated by your threats. People who will stop at nothing to prevent people like you from exploiting the public. How long do you think you can keep the wool pulled over everyone's eyes, Luthor?"

Luthor picked up a pawn from his chess set and examined it. Without looking at the 'flying man,' he responded, "I don't know what I've done to merit your scorn, and it disappoints me that you seem completely unwilling to form an alliance of sorts. My brain and your brawn...imagine the possibilities." Luthor was a businessman. He realized that an opportunity like this wouldn't come along very often. He needed this man on his side. Luthor didn't want to even think about the danger of having an adversary with this kind of power.

"We will never be allies, Luthor," the man promised firmly. "I can assure you that."

Luthor's attempts to charm this man had failed. For whatever reason, he was dead-set on opposing the multi-billionaire. Luthor dropped the agreeable attitude and clasped the pawn tightly in his palm. "Do the words 'breaking' and 'entering' mean anything to you?" Luthor asked stingingly. He looked up and stared coldly into the 'flying man's' eyes. "Furthermore, he may have been out-of-line, but harassing my employees will not be tolerated - no matter what you can do. I will ask you kindly to leave my office at once."

"No need to tell me twice," the man shot back. And in a flash of blue and red, he was gone.

Luthor sat still for a moment until a sudden fit of rage overcame him. He chucked the pawn angrily at the doors while clenching his teeth. This man - whoever he was - thought himself above Luthor. He thought that he was better than Luthor in some way. That kind of attitude never flew with Lex Luthor. Part of his rage came from that. Another part came from frustration. But mostly, Luthor's rage came from the fear of not knowing what his next move would be. He didn't know how to lash out against this 'hero' without damaging his public image. An elaborate plan would have to be put into place. If you weren't with Lex Luthor, you were against him. And those who went against him lost. They lost embarrassingly.

Luthor picked up a queen and moved it a few spaces. Checkmate.

He would show this 'flying man.' He would show them all.

Part Eleven: Hero

When Clark saw Lois entering the Planet, he smirked. Taking his feet off his desk, Clark sat up straight in his chair as he reached for his copy of the day's Daily Planet. He briefly examined the headline one more time. When Lois came near, Clark stood up and jogged to catch up to her. "Channeling your inner-Nietzsche?" Clark asked with a grin as he held up the issue.

MAN OR SUPERMAN?
METROPOLIS' CAPED CRUSADER SAVES THE DAY

Lois just sneered and kept on her way. Even so, Clark followed her to have a little more fun. "I've gotta say, though, Lois," Clark began honestly, "I don't think 'Caped Crusader' was the right fit. It seems...off." Clark frowned as he looked at the little words. Maybe he could have some say in what people insisted on calling him. He wasn't crazy about 'Superman,' either. How bland.

"Listen, Smallville, this--" Lois reached out and snatched the issue from Clark's hands. She pointed adamantly at the headline. "--is how you get on the front page." She tossed the paper back at Clark, who then proceeded to juggle it before dropping it all over the floor. Lois just rolled her eyes as Clark scrambled to pick up the scattered sections. Rookie. "Take notes, Smallville," Lois advised before continuing to her desk.

Clark pushed his glasses up on his nose. Lois was rough around the edges, but there was something admirable in her. She was confident enough that she could get away with being a little cocky. Something about that resonated in Clark. Maybe it's because that's how he felt when he was flying around, fighting that robot. Lois may not have been able to crush a sedan like a soda can, but she was powerful in a different way. And for some unexplainable reason, it was attractive - to Clark, at least.

Winslow shook his head for what felt like the one-hundredth time in the hour. This order is already five days overdue, yet the men weren't making any haste in the movement of the wooden crates. Winslow's clients weren't the kind of people that practiced the virtue of patience, and he was grateful to still be alive as it was. On the bright side, the shipment finally made it, and Winslow could close this deal. It had proven to be more trouble than it was worth. Sighing, Winslow absent-mindedly kicked the gravel beneath his feet. It wasn't often that he came to the docks in person, but given the complications, he had no choice.

"Winslow Schott," a booming voice called out from behind Winslow. He turned sharply to face the voice. As if the blue spandex and red cape weren't enough of a sight to see, the man was hovering. It certainly wasn't a sight Winslow was prepared for. "Also known as the Toyman - famed importer of weapons, drugs, and anything else that the criminal element doesn't want to run through customs."

Winslow swallowed the growing lump in his throat. He had heard stories about this man. Now, it was time to see if there was any truth in them. "And you are the 'Superman' that everyone is buzzing about," Winslow shot back. "I wonder if it's true that bullets merely bounce off your chest. Why don't I have my associates try it?"

"Who? Those guys?" Superman asked with a nod. Winslow turned to see all of his men subdued. The imported rifles had been bent into makeshift handcuffs. Shaking his head, Superman stated calmly, "I wouldn't worry about them."

Without looking away from his men, Winslow stammered, "How did you...? I was watching them...and then you...and now they..."

Superman smirked proudly. "Now, now, Toyman, that would be telling," he explained mockingly. Superman reached out and grabbed Winslow's collar bone. Applying an enormous amount of pressure, Superman forced Winslow to his knees. "Speaking of which, you are going to tell the police all about what you were doing here today - and maybe even who you were selling to. And if you don't, I'll know where to find you." Winslow turned back around in time to see Superman wink.

And as quickly as he had came, Superman was gone. Winslow looked up at the sky - squinting due to the sun - but he saw no sign of the mysterious hero. Then, Winslow heard the screeching of brakes and the yelp of sirens. Within seconds, police officers flooded the docks and apprehended Winslow and all his men. He had been set up - by Superman. It wasn't an encounter Winslow Schott would be soon to forget.

Clark laughed to himself as he weaved among the clouds, thinking about his quick defeat of the Toyman. While the Toyman was talking, Clark subdued all of his men and returned to his spot. He did all of this so fast that no human would have been able to see it. Clark got a surprising pleasure out of seeing his foe's confusion. The people of Metropolis had never dealt with someone quite like Clark before. He fully intended on taking advantage of that as long as he possibly could.

And yet, Clark's work for the day was not done. As he enjoyed a leisurely float above the city, Clark heard sounds of distress and police sirens. The interruption sent Clark back into action as he rocketed back down to the Metropolis streets faster than a speeding bullet. More people needed Clark's help, and he was more than willing to oblige.

Clark's only concern was how he was going to find time for all these heroics - on top of his other responsibilities. All in a day's work for Superman, he supposed.

Short segment this time, but it really only serves to move me into the next one.

Part Twelve: Exclusive

When Lois entered the Daily Planet the next day, she was surprised to see a small crowd gathering around Clark's desk. There, Clark sat, hands behind his head, feet on his desk, and a victorious smirk on his face. Lois squinted suspiciously at this uncharacteristic behavior on the part of Clark. He certainly wasn't the type to be so relaxed - Lois could tell that about him already. And his sudden popularity was another point of interest. So, Lois rolled up her sleeves and marched over to Clark's desk.

"What's all the fuss about, Smallville?" she asked, tried to mask her curiosity with detachment. She folded her arms to sell the point, but she suspected that Clark could see it in her eyes. For the first time in his short tenure at the Planet, Clark had developed a blip on Lois's radar.

Before Clark could explain, Jimmy appeared - seemingly out of nowhere. "Didn't you hear, Lois?" Jimmy asked excitedly. She blinked dryly. Of course she hadn't "heard." She just walked in not thirty seconds ago. "Clark got an interview!" Jimmy announced joyfully. Lois wasn't surprised that Clark and Jimmy were buddy-buddy. Guys like that had to stick together, she supposed.

Lois scoffed - but her curiosity was still ever present. "Well, we all get lucky sometimes," she rationalized condescendingly. The last thing she needed was a rookie getting a big ego - and stealing her limelight. Pretending to be disinterested, Lois asked casually, "Who'd you get?"

Clark tossed a newspaper at Lois. "Check the front page," he instructed, his smirk growing wide.

BEHIND THE CAPE
AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH METROPOLIS' NEWEST HERO

Lois could put on the act no longer. Her eyes grew wide as she realized what she was looking at. Disbelievingly, she looked up at Clark. He was intoxicatingly smug. "How...did you...?" Lois managed to stammer.

Clark leaned back further in his chair. "I took your advice. I went out, and I got myself a front page story," he explained proudly. He nodded to the paper. "Go ahead. Read it."

"In recent days, citizens of Metropolis have found themselves looking to the sky. Up there, amongst the clouds, exists a symbol of hope for the city and the world. When trouble and danger rear their heads, the so-called 'Superman' swoops in to save the day. Seeking no reward, and expecting no glory, this mysterious savior is truly a shining example of the effect one man can have - for better or worse. Yet, though Metropolis embraces Superman with open arms, many questions remain. Who is Superman? Why is he doing this? What does he seek to gain? How can he do such astounding things?

Superman, it seems, is eager to answer some of these questions.

'People need to know that they can trust me,' he explained at the start of his impromptu interview. 'And the only way I can gain their trust is by being open with them. That's why I don't wear a mask, and that's why I chose to have this interview.'

So many topics required covering, so Superman decided to start at the beginning. 'To be honest, I don't know much more than you do,' he joked. He went on to explain that he does know that he's from a planet called Krypton. However, Superman was born and raised on Earth. Where is Krypton? Why was he sent here? 'I want those answers as badly as you do,' he replied frankly.

What's with the get-up? 'This outfit is an homage to my heritage,' Superman explained. The bright colors and elaborate design draw from traditional Kryptonian clothing - specifically royal attire. Yes, Superman believes that he is part of a Kryptonian royal family. He brandishes his kin's coat-of-arms on his chest. Laughing, he explained, 'No, it doesn't stand for 'Superman.''

Who is he, though? Just someone who's looking to help, according to the man himself. 'It's not about money or fame or anything tangible,' Superman assured. 'I'm not doing this for any of those reasons.' But does Superman walk among us? Does he lead a private life as an anonymous citizen? He insisted that he doesn't, but the tiniest smirk on his face disagrees. The answer to this riddle, it seems, may never come. And perhaps it's best left that way.

'Under my watch, the people of Metropolis can feel a little safer. I will protect them - and all the peoples of the world - from those who would do harm,' Superman promised stoicly. 'Krypton may be where I was born, but Earth is my home. And I would die defending it.'

So what's the verdict on Metropolis' Man of Steel? Maybe the charm and heroics do belie a hidden agenda. Maybe Superman shouldn't be trusted so willingly. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to watch him closely. But all that aside, Superman has done great things for this city in a relatively short time. Assuming his pace remains steady, Superman will all but eliminate crime in Metropolis in a matter of years. At the very least, crime rates will plummet to record lows. And really, can the people of Metropolis ask for more?

Maybe there is more to Superman than meets the eye. But for the time-being, what you see is what you've got. And what you see is a very brave, very powerful person trying to stand up for basic values of truth and justice. Against such a powerful force for good, evil doesn't stand a chance. So the next time all hope seems lost, just look to the sky.

He'll be there."

Lois remained silent as she finished the article. Not the most ground-breaking piece of journalism she had ever read, but Clark got an interview with Big Blue - and that was enough. She would never admit it to herself, but Lois was incredibly jealous. She only prayed that it didn't show. "Metropolis' Man of Steel?" she read aloud.

Clark shrugged. "Just something I came up with on the fly," he stated dismissively. Clark wasn't kidding when he said that he wanted to have a say in what people called him. And if this was the way to do it, he was fine with that. Both Lois and Clark realized that 'Man of Steel' had a better ring than 'Caped Crusader.'

Lois sighed deeply. "Well, Smallville, I can stand the taste of humble pie every now and then," she announced defeatedly. "You did damn good - for a rookie." She just had to throw in the last part - to keep Clark in check.

"Coming from you, Lois, getting that compliment is an honor," Clark replied sincerely. He didn't mind that she tried to bust his chops. That was who she was. She didn't like feeling that she had been bested, and this was her only way to express that. Clark knew that it wasn't anything personal. In fact, she was kinda cute when she was annoyed - and jealous.

"As a token of my sincerity, I'll buy you a coffee," Lois offered. As the words escaped her lips, she wondered who uttered them. Surely, it was not her.

Clark didn't know how to respond. He was sure he was imagining things. There was no way that Lois just offered that. Prior to this interview, Clark wasn't even visible to Lois. Now, she was willing to be seen with him in a social setting - outside of work? Maybe she was just doing it to pry for information about Superman, or maybe...

"Well, I'd love to, Lois, but you don't have to buy me a coffee," Clark insisted. He paused before his next statement. He wasn't sure if he wanted to say it. "Just the chance to talk to you is reason enough," he blurted out. As soon as he said it, he winced. Too soon.

Lois arched an eyebrow. Did Clark just try to be smooth? Not the most successful of attempts, but he did attempt it. It was flattering - even if a bit desperate. "Right," Lois responded simply, emotionlessly. "Come on then," she motioned.

Clark couldn't get to his feet fast enough.

Part Thirteen: Calculation

Dr. Albert Michaels rushed around, barking orders at his coworkers. He normally wasn't so anxious, but Lex Luthor was on the way. Ever since Michaels was transferred to the LexCorp laboratory on the outskirts of Metropolis, he had gotten used to seeing very little of his superiors. The projects that Michaels and his team worked on were either dead ends or top secret. There was a mutual, unspoken understanding that the scientists and the bean counters went about their business separately. But now, the CEO of LexCorp had decided to make an impromptu visit - something he had done very occasionally in the past. Michaels had learned one thing about Lex's visits: they were never about light business.

The elevator pinged, and Lex walked into the laboratory, a newspaper folded under his arm. As he passed, Lex slapped the newspaper against Michaels' chest, absently stating, "I assume you saw this." Lex just kept walking like he owned the place - which, technically, he did.

Michaels spun around and stammered before explaining, "Well, no, I've been working all morning, so I haven't had--"

"'He went on to explain that he does know that he's from a planet called Krypton,'" Lex interrupted, quoting the article. He peered over his shoulder. "Surely, a revelation like that must peak your curiosity."

Michaels examined the article. When he saw the headline, it all made sense. "Oh...him." Michaels didn't get out of the lab often, but news of Superman traveled fast. Michaels could admit that he was curious about the mysterious figure.

"Well, I know that it got me thinking," Lex continued, seemingly ignoring Michaels altogether, "So I went to work right away. I had a hunch about this Krypton, and I ran with it." Lex looked around before asking, "Do you have a desk?"

Nodding, Michaels explained, "In my office. It's right--" But Lex was already making his way to the office. Michaels just sighed and followed him.

Letting himself in, Lex turned on the lights and leaned over the desk. Reaching into his suit pocket, he drew a large rolled-up piece of paper. Removing the rubber band, Lex unrolled the paper - which looked to be a very large map. "I spent hours pouring over star maps in my office - until I found something...interesting," he explained. Lex pointed to an encircled area on the star map. "This is digitally enhanced - you see it?"

Michaels bent down and squinted at the map. It was a solar system - similar to our own but smaller. Four planets total. And it had a red sun at the center. Michaels just nodded.

Lex drew another map and unrolled it. "Same spot. Look again," he instructed.

Michaels obeyed. And what he saw was interesting. There were only three planets on this map. "But where did--?"

"This map comes from a photograph taken a year after the previous one," Lex interrupted. Michaels bent down to examine the maps again, but Lex quickly rolled them up. "According to my rough estimate about Superman's age, this fits right into a theoretical time-line. If Superman was sent from this planet to Earth, he would have arrived in time to be in his early thirties," Lex explained calmly. "Now, many astrological objects disappear over the course of a year, but I can't find a logical explanation for this one - save for my own."

Lex paused - presumably expecting Michaels to ask. When he didn't, Lex just rolled his eyes.

"We live in constant fear that we're going to blow ourselves up, right?" Lex asked rhetorically. "Well, if this civilization is advanced enough for intergalactic travel, maybe they developed a form of weaponry powerful enough to literally blow themselves up. Maybe someone knew this weapon was going to be unleashed, and they tried to get Superman off the planet to spare his life."

Michaels cleared his throat. "A fine explanation, Mr. Luthor, but it's based heavily on assumptions." Michaels didn't realize how blunt he was being until he had already spoken. He inwardly reprimanded himself for speaking that way to his superior.

"Assumptions," Lex began coldly, "are the basis of hypotheses - from which we draw calculations, doctor. I would not have gotten to where I am if I wasn't usually right about my assumptions." Lex sneered. "After all, I'm not some washed-up, low-grade scientist working for a meager salary - that's your job."

Michaels wasn't sure what stung more - the words or the person that uttered them. Either way, he wasn't stupid enough to offer any kind of response. He bit his tongue and avoided eye contact. Luckily, no one else was around to hear the biting insult. It was bad enough that his pride was broken. He didn't need his reputation to die with it.

"Now, where do you keep the meteorite?" Lex asked interestedly - acting as though he did not just spit in this man's face. In fact, he was so excited that he rubbed his hands together. Time for part two of his hypothesis.

Michaels couldn't muster up the courage or the strength to give a response, so he just motioned for Lex to follow him. Michaels' head hung low as he led Lex into a large, octagonal room. The fluorescent lights made the room a blinding shade of white, but Michaels seemed not to notice. He had gotten used to it. Crossing the entire room, Michaels approached a keypad on the far wall. After typing in his PIN number, the wall rose up - revealing a plexiglass wall behind it. Behind the plexiglass was a small viewing room. At the center of the room was a black box.

"We've been experimenting with using the meteorite's radiation as an alternative fuel, but we haven't found a safe way to harness its power yet," Michaels explained deflatedly. When the meteorite was delivered to the lab years ago, Michaels was sure it would put them on the map. It hadn't. "Lead is the only substance we've found that negates the radiation completely," he added, pointing to the black box.

Lex was mesmerized by the black box - and the knowledge of what laid within. "And you say that the radiation is like nothing you've ever seen before?" Lex asked, his eyes growing wide like a kid looking through the glass into a toy store.

"It's definitely not terrestrial," Michaels assured him. "Multiple tests confirm that its composition doesn't match anything on the periodic table. Maybe it did once - before it was irradiated."

"Is it possible that the rock could have been irradiated by an ultra-advanced weapon - the kind that I spoke of before?" Lex inquired.

Michaels shrugged. "Without knowing what this weapon is, I can't give you a straight answer," he replied earnestly. "But I suppose that it's possible. I can tell you at least that this rock isn't from the Earth."

Lex smiled. "And it was discovered...?"

"Thirty years ago - a little later maybe," Michaels explained.

Lex looked away from the box to Michaels. "I want to borrow it for an experiment," he stated.

"Hey, you own it, Mr. Luthor," Michaels reasoned, throwing up his hands. "But I should warn you that we still don't know what effects, if any, this substance could have on humans after prolonged exposure. It wouldn't surprise me if this kind of radiation was harmful - maybe deadly." Michaels looked into Lex's eyes. The seriousness of the look made his next point clear. "If I were you, I wouldn't take the meteorite out of the box. That lead is the only thing keeping you totally safe."

"Just give me the rock," Lex demanded irritably. He didn't like being treated like a child. What he did or didn't do with the rock was his business. And it would go to much better use in his hands than the hands of a lesser mind such as Michaels'.

Michaels sighed and typed in another code. The plexiglass wall rose up. He didn't want to tell a CEO what to do, but he had a feeling that this couldn't end well.

Part Fourteen: Boundaries

The "date" at the coffee shop hadn't gone as Clark expected. He tried to do the "right" thing and pay for Lois, but she wouldn't allow him to do so. A simple, benign gesture - but it set the tone for the afternoon. They were just two friends having coffee. Even "friend" was a little strong. Mutual acquaintance was more fitting. All of this made Clark feel awkward and self-conscious. As he looked at Lois, the feeling seemed to be mutual. Clark couldn't even muster up the strength to clear his throat.

"So how'd you do it, Smallville?" Lois asked abruptly, breaking the lengthening silence. It was clear in her tone that the question had been hanging on her tongue for some time. The question was so clear that Clark knew what she was asking immediately.

Shrugging, Clark explained, "Right place, right time kind of thing, Lois." He leaned back in his chair and allowed himself to relax, sipping his coffee calmly. "You know what they say. Better to be lucky than good, right?"

"No, not right," Lois responded adamantly. Clearly, she wasn't aware that it was a rhetorical question. Lois had gotten past the shock. Now, she was just annoyed. Impressed, too - but annoyed. This...this...nobody...shows up, and - seemingly without personality or determination - lands the biggest interview of his career. Of anyone's career! "If Big Blue wanted to talk, why didn't he come to...someone else?"

"Someone like you?" Clark asked, arching his eyebrow.

"Well...yeah! I mean, what do you have that I don't?" Lois inquired frustratedly. She then added as an afterthought, "No offense."

It was a good thing that Clark's skin was thicker than he pretended. Otherwise, he would have taken offense at Lois's tone - arbitrary apology or not. But he was actually jealous on some level of Lois. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She said the things that everyone wanted to say - but knew they shouldn't. There was something admirable in that.

"I honestly can't tell you what Superman thinks of me or you, Lois."

Lois frowned but didn't push the subject further. She said nothing more for a few moments as she leaned over her coffee, blowing on it to cool it off. Taking a small sip - and realizing that it was still scalding hot - Lois gasped airily before asking, "Well...what do you think of me, Smallville?"

The question caught Clark completely off-guard. "Beg your pardon?" he replied, trying to be polite.

"Oh, come on. I know what you're thinking," Lois insisted. "Go ahead. Say it."

Clark imagined quite a few things he could say, but none of them seemed right. Sure, he could tell her that he thought he was starting to fall in love. He could explain that he didn't know if that was even possible. He could say that, despite the way she talked and acted around him, he still couldn't keep his heart from fluttering when he saw her. But he had a feeling that none of those would go over well. He simply feared that Lois already knew all those things. "Say what?"

Sighing, Lois imitated Clark's deep, mousy tone as she said, "'Sometimes, I wish that Lois would just shut up. She's so full of herself.' Come on. I know it's what you're thinking."

"Actually, no," Clark responded honestly. He took a deep breath and continued, "I think that you are a great person - even if you don't think so yourself. I think I would be lucky to become half the journalist you are, and I think you are one of the few genuine people I know in my life. You're not afraid to be who you are. There's no act, no charade with you. You're straightforward. Sure, that may not always work out for you, but I - for one - find it refreshing." The silence that hung in the air didn't intimidate Clark this time. He said how he felt, and - while it wasn't the whole truth - he was glad to have put it out there. "Of course, that's just how I feel."

Lois considered Clark's words for a moment. Clark appeared to be a great many things to Lois, but an honest speaker wasn't one of them. And she was sure that she was wearing on his nerves - if he had any. Yet, this is the answer he chose to give. It brought the smallest of smiles to Lois's face. "Careful, Smallville," she warned playfully, "I'm a taken woman." She held up the engagement ring that Lex gave her.

"About that," Clark started hesitantly. Lois became suddenly interested. "I was thinking about you and Lex, and...I just don't...get it."

"What's not to get?" Lois asked simply.

"You and he...I mean...you just don't...he doesn't seem like your type. That's all," Clark replied uncertainly. He wasn't sure how to say, "Your fiance is one of the most vile men on the planet," without offending Lois. In fact, he had brought up the subject partly to get a look at how close Lois and Lex were. Clark needed to know just how open he could be - especially about this subject.

Folding her arms, Lois inquired, "How do you know my type?" She was becoming more interested by the moment. Clark was holding back, and Lois wanted to know what it was.

"I just...I know you..." Clark saw Lois's eyebrow arch higher. "Okay, I don't know you...but I know the kind of person..." Clark sighed and paused. "What I'm trying to say is, what do you see in him?"

"I'll have you know that this is none of your business, but..." Lois didn't know why she was getting so personal with Clark. This morning, he was just some new guy she barely knew. It was lucky that she even remembered his name. Now, she was discussing relationships with him? What was it about this man that made Lois throw caution to the wind? She was aching to find out. "I happen to like men who know what they want - and aren't afraid to go after it. And though I may not agree with everything Lex does, he stands by his decisions - right or wrong. It takes a confident man to do that. Most importantly, I need someone who doesn't need me to save him. Because I can tell you that I won't need him to save me."

The kind of man that Lois had described was someone that Clark could never be - not as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter. But maybe, just maybe, on some other level...

"What about you?" Lois asked, bringing Clark back to the present. Clark looked up to see Lois listening intently. "I've never heard you mention a girlfriend or..." She trailed off - obviously waiting for Clark to say something.

"That's because there's nobody like that in my life," Clark explained.

"Oh?"

"Not yet, anyway," Clark added optimistically. He wasn't sure where Lois's sudden interest in him came from, and he didn't care. Even if she only wanted to get to know him because he did the Superman interview, at least she wanted to get to know him. And that was enough for Clark - for the time-being. "If it'll make you happy, you'll be the first to know if anything changes in that department."

Lois smiled softly. "Well, you know how women are about gossip..."

At this point, Clark wasn't paying attention. Not because he wasn't interested, but because he heard something else. It was hard to be certain from this far away, but Clark was almost sure he could hear gunshots in the distance. With the noise of the city, no one else seemed to hear anything. But they didn't have Clark's amazing sense of hearing. When Clark started hearing panicked screams in the distance, he knew he could wait no longer.

"I have to go," Clark announced suddenly, looking for the nearest exit.

"What? Why?"

Clark scratched the back of his head, searching for a believable excuse. "I just remembered that I was supposed to file a story for Perry," he lied. Although, now that he thought about it, it was probably true. Clark had been focusing so much on the superheroics that his day job took a backseat.

Lois was so used to doing whatever she wanted at the Planet that she was confused by Clark's compulsion to strictly follow orders. Lois knew that she wore on Perry, but her work was good enough that he'd never do anything. "Can't it wait?" Lois was surprised that she was the one trying to make Clark stay. She had expected the reverse. Yet, now that they were talking and getting to know each other, Lois didn't want to stop.

"Uh...I guess it can, but...you know how it is. I'm new, trying to make a good impression..." This was one part of his life that Clark wished he could avoid. The flying around was great, and sipping coffee with Lois was great. But lying? That he could live without.

"Frankly, Smallville, after nabbing an interview with Superman, I think you've bought yourself some breathing room."

"Still, I would just feel better if I got it out of the way," Clark responded. The gunshots were getting louder - but still not enough to be heard at this distance.

Lois put down her cup and started to stand. "Okay, I'll come with you. Maybe I can get some of my work out of the way, too," she offered. It was at this point that Clark realized that Lois's persistence might have drawbacks.

"Sounds...great. I'm just going to hit the bathroom first," he explained, pointing to the bathroom door at the back of the coffee shop. This was his only chance to get a second alone.

"I'll wait here." And Lois did wait. But Clark didn't come out in a minute. Or two. Or five. Finally, after seven minutes, Lois tapped on the door. "Did you fall in, Smallville?" No response. Lois knocked more loudly. "Clark?" Finally, after nearly a minute of knocking, Lois turned the handle, and - to her surprise - the door swung open. And the small bathroom was empty.

From the skies, Clark peered over his shoulder at the coffee shop. It was now becoming a speck in the distance. He felt sorry for ditching Lois like that, but there was no other way. Clark was just worried about how he could possibly explain his vanishing act. He couldn't let that distract him, though, as he approached the task at hand.

The gunshots were now loud enough to be heard with the normal human ear. Clark looked down to see the red and blue flashes of the police surrounding the building. He couldn't believe his luck when he realized what building he was flying towards.

The LexCorp Tower. "Perfect," Clark muttered.

Clark listened carefully to the police radios before making his move. It was a hostage situation. A group of armed men - the exact number unknown - suddenly stormed the building. They ushered all the people into the top five floors, and they posted guards on the ground floor - to keep SWAT from being able to successfully storm the building. The men were heavily armed - with enough ammunition, the police believed, to last through the night. Perhaps more. And - no surprise here - Lex Luthor was among the hostages. Clark didn't like the idea of saving Luthor, but he wouldn't let anything happen.

Swooping down so fast that he was nothing more than a blue blur, Superman burst through the front doors of the building. Sporadic gunfire ensued, but quickly subsided. Moments later, Superman emerged, carrying all of the subdued first floor guards. Tossing them casually down the steps leading to the building, Superman looked at the SWAT team and announced, "Give me three minutes. After that, come in." And in a flash, he was gone again.

Superman focused on listening to the captors' conversations - not an easy task. He had to do his best to block out all other noise so he could hear them clearly. In response to the first wave of guards being taken out, a second group was coming down the elevator. Superman didn't know how much these men would take before hurting the hostages, so he decided not to waste any time.

Using his heat vision, Superman sealed the elevator doors. The molten metal cooled almost instantly, and there was banging on the other side moments later. The men in the elevator were confused, and they decided to move up to the second floor. Superman beat them there.

Prying open the elevator doors on the second floor, Superman leaped softly into the shaft. He landed almost immediately on the roof of the rising elevator car. Pushing down with his mighty strength, Superman forced the car back down to the ground floor - without squashing the men inside like sardines. By severing the elevator cables, Superman ensured that the men weren't going anywhere for a while.

Ascending through the now-vacant elevator shaft, Superman focused on his next move. It would have to swift, as he was now approaching the dangerous moment where the hostages would be put in peril. His concentration, however, began to fade as he flew higher. He felt remarkably lightheaded, but he shook it off and kept going.

Erupting through the elevator doors onto the first level with hostages, Superman was nearly knocked back by a sudden wave of dizziness. Ignoring the unexplainable feeling, Superman easily took out the first two gunmen he came across. The men on the floors above were growing nervous and impatient. Time was running out. Seeing that the hostages were lying face-down - and the captors were standing up - Superman unleashed a breath equal to gale winds. The hostages were unharmed, but the captors fell over and landed sharply on the hard floor. In the blink of an eye, Superman rounded up their weapons and melted them into a useless, metallic ball. One floor down.

When Superman burst through the floor of the floor above, the growing effects of nausea ruined the element of surprise. As Superman stood still to regain control, the gunmen drew their weapons and began to fire. Superman was just glad that all the gunfire was directed at him - and not the hostages. But something was wrong. These bullets stung his skin as they bounced off. Usually, Superman felt next to nothing from conventional weaponry. Still, he remained standing, and the odds were still in his favor. Superman melted the gun barrels, froze the gunman's hands, or simply knocked them out with brute force. Superman's arsenal was far more varied than his opponents'. But he was feeling his strength slip away.

The next floor was more of the same, but Superman was getting slower. He wasn't sure, but he felt like his heat vision wasn't working as powerfully. Even though he planted his feet, a shotgun blast from a few feet caused Superman to falter slightly. His foes saw the weakness but were still unable to exploit it. Superman could hear Luthor arguing with the captors on the top floor. Superman wasn't surprised that Luthor didn't know when to keep his mouth shut. He brought his attention back to the task at hand. He was holding a gunman by the collar. The gunman fainted out of a combination of fear and exhaustion. The floor was clear.

The next-to-last floor was the worst. As the effects continued to strange Superman, the captors' weaponry grew more powerful still. This time, a shotgun blast caused Superman to stumble and fall to one knee. The gunmen crowded around Superman, and - for the first time - he felt vulnerable. The bullets continued to sting, but they also continued to deflect off Superman's chiseled muscles. However, a shot from a pistol at close range nicked Superman's cheek, and - also for the first time - Superman bled. Superman heard the SWAT team racing up the steps. His work was almost done.

"MOVE AWAY!" a booming voice commanded. The assembled crowd put distance between themselves and the fallen Man of Steel. Superman looked up to see a gunman holding an assault rifle. Superman focused on melting the barrel, but seemingly no heat came out of his eyes. The first shot from the rifle grazed Superman's thigh, tearing his tights and piercing his flesh. The second shot narrowly missed Superman's ear. But on the third shot, the bullet went into Superman's shoulder and came out the other side. Superman immediately fell to the ground, bleeding and helpless.

The stairwell door flew off its hinges as the SWAT team breached the floor. The gunman with the rifle considered taking a fourth shot, but he opted for making a break for it. A vicious shootout occurred all around Superman, but he was only concerned with getting far away from here. It seemed to take all of his strength, but Superman managed to pull himself - with one arm - to a window. His strength, speed, heat vision, and invulnerability had failed him. But maybe he could fly. "SUPERMAN!" a SWAT officer shouted as he saw the hero throw himself from the window.

He didn't fly. The fall seemed to take forever, but eventually, Superman crashed on the hood of a patrol car - crushing it like a tin can. On the bright side, he was alive, and the effects were fading. Rolling over onto his back, Superman looked up at the sky. He could hear the SWAT team reporting that the floor was clear. Soon, they would move up to the last floor and save the final hostages - Luthor among them. Disaster had been avoided, but it was a close call. Closer than Superman has ever had.

On the top floor, Luthor sat in his office. Two gunmen were there with him. One sat in the far corner, and the other looked out the huge windows at the street below. Both men had their guns in hand.

"Now, if you want your money, you really need to sell this last part," Luthor instructed. Despite the crisis surrounding him, he continued to play chess. "All of our work here today is ruined if we don't finish strong." Luthor picked up his knight and claimed another opposing piece. "And mark my words, if anyone suspects that this was staged, prison will be the least of your worries."

The man at the window spoke up. "Speaking of which, I hope you haven't forgotten your part of the arrangement," he announced threateningly. He was either too stupid or too naive to know no one threatens Lex Luthor.

"I told you already. I pull the strings in this city," he explained irritably. "You won't do time for this. I can guarantee that. I have friends in high places."

"And enemies in higher places," the man added as he watched Superman roll off of the flattened squad car. Someone so strong was defeated so easily - all things considered. But it was still risky. "Why'd we want him to come here, anyway?"

Luthor rolled his eyes as he moved another piece. "That doesn't concern you," he hissed. "Think of it as an experiment, if you must." Luthor looked up from the chess board at the green rock on his desk. The thought of all they had accomplished brought a satisfied smile to his face. Running his fingertips along the meteorite's rough surface, Luthor muttered, "All that, and he wasn't even on the same floor. Oh, this is good. This is very good."

:applaud

BTW, Do you already know how long this eventually is going to be? I'm asking 'cause, if this were a movie, we would already be in act two. :csad:

Sorry for the douple post. ( Yes, I'm aware that there has been almost 12 hours since my last post.:oldrazz: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"