• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Eli Roth's Thanksgiving

How funny would it be if Thanksgiving became the premier slasher franchise of the '20s and ran for multiple installments, while the Halloween franchise goes to TV and the Friday the 13th series continues to languish in Development Hell :oldrazz:

Finally saw this today. I definitely recommend… the Thanksgiving Grindhouse trailer from 2007. You can skip this. Bad acting, terrible characters, horrendous dialogue, and the kills are too ridiculous to be entertaining. That dumpster scene… my God. Roth couldn’t figure out if he wanted to make this a somewhat serious slasher film or a parody of one and the result is a dull, uninspired mess. I was looking forward to Borderlands after the trailer (and there may still be hope for that film since directorial duties may have been taken away from him during production) but I have no hope that Thanksgiving 2 will be any better than the original. Roth hasn’t learned anything after all these years and it makes me wish he had never bothered to finally turn this into a movie.

Yeah, I watched this a few weeks back and I wasn't too crazy about it either but I'm also kind of biased because I'm really not a Roth fan, so much so that I practically shout "Shoulda been Sandler" whenever I watch Inglourious Basterds and get to the part where he shows up :o.

I was never bored watching it but I really wish Roth had kept that '80s slasher flick vibe from the trailer way back when.

Yeah, I watched this a few weeks back and I wasn't too crazy about it either but I'm also kind of biased because I'm really not a Roth fan, so much so that I practically shout "Shoulda been Sandler" whenever I watch Inglourious Basterds and get to the part where he shows up :o.

I was never bored watching it but I really wish Roth had kept that '80s slasher flick vibe from the trailer way back when.

Yeah, I did enjoy the film because I'm always a sucker for a halfway decent slasher flick, but I also find it interesting that he ditched the 80's grindhouse slasher vibe in favor of making a holiday themed Scream-wannabe film.

Yeah it was just a mess of a movie and I’m honestly baffled by the good reviews. I’ve seen much better movies that had much lower RT scores. I just critics just went in not expecting much?

I’ve seen some people say the characters weren’t likable but I don’t even think any of them were fleshed out enough to BE unlikable. They all had like one personality trait. Main female character is suspicious. New boyfriend is jealous. Old boyfriend is also jealous. Cocky guy is an A-hole. Guy with guns wants to sell kids guns. Etc. Also, half of the “kids” looked like they were in their 30s while the other half looked like actual high school kids, lol.

Oh, and Patrick Dempsey’s attempt at a New England accent was hilarious. I swear that he didn’t even have an accent at the beginning of the movie and then it miraculous showed up after the one-year time jump. And then it just kinda comes and goes throughout the movie.

Oh, and Patrick Dempsey’s attempt at a New England accent was hilarious. I swear that he didn’t even have an accent at the beginning of the movie and then it miraculous showed up after the one-year time jump. And then it just kinda comes and goes throughout the movie.
Believe it or not, that's his actual accent. lol.

I'm not a fan of the Terrifier movies, but they seem more 2007 Thanksgiving than whatever this bland-fest was.

Reading the reviews reminds me when Roth and Adam Green were hyped as the 00s new ''MastERs of HOrroR''.

Believe it or not, that's his actual accent. lol.

Hahaha! Well, maybe he’s turned off the accent so much now that when he tries to turn it back on it just sounds weird. I know that happens to some actors; I remember when Charlie Hunnam forgot how to do an English accent for a while (and given that his American accent was never very good either, he just sounded weird no matter what he was doing).

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was looking up the actors in this movie because aside from Dempsey, Gershon and that guy from Suits, I had never seen most of these people before. Turns out the actress who played the rich stepmother character is named Karen Cliche. That’s also a perfect description of her character lol.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was looking up the actors in this movie because aside from Dempsey, Gershon and that guy from Suits, I had never seen most of these people before. Turns out the actress who played the rich stepmother character is named Karen Cliche. That’s also a perfect description of her character lol.
Speaking of Gershon,
admittedly she does look younger than her age but the reveal that her character was pregnant was certainly a choice since she's 61 in real life. :o

Finally got around to watching this - it's about time :oldrazz:

Anyway who are we kidding here? There's no way I wasn't gonna like this movie. I'm genetically predisposed to enjoy cheap slasher fare. Alas, this one veers closer to Scream than it does to classics like the original Halloween. Come to think of if, the film reminded me in several ways of I Know What You Did Last Summer...

I've always believed that humour in a classic slasher movie should be subtle. It shouldn't be obvious, it should be present to enhance the narrative or enrich the subtext. Eli Roth clearly knows the genre inside out but he really hits us over the head with the humour here. I was actually onboard with the film for the first two thirds, finding it to be a surprisingly enjoyable walk down ’80s slasher flick memory lane. That is until a character literally becomes Thanksgiving Dinner, at which point my roommate and I both groaned and I got taken completely out of the film. Such an obviously amateurish bid for cult credibility just made my eyes roll...

Anyway this was a fun little diversion but nowhere near the classic it could have been. I almost can't believe we're still getting these smirking, thinks-it's-more-clever-than-it-actually-is horror comedies almost three decades after Scream revolutionized the horror industry. This movie actually put into sharp relief for me how effective David Gordon Green's Halloween reboot was. Sure those films were goofy and unintentionally funny in spots, but at least they tried to play it straight. Hopefully Roth tones down the obvious comedy for the sequel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"