Batwoman Episode 02/12 - "Initiate Self-Destruct"

Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score
Scheduled airdate: May 2, 2021 @ 9pmET
(In two weeks and an hour later; DC’s Legends of Tomorrow is now at 8pm.)

Synopsis:

WE ALL WEAR MASKS - Ryan (Javicia Leslie) is faced with a difficult decision that could expose her as Batwoman, creating a rift in the Bat Team. Meanwhile, Black Mask's (guest star Peter Outerbridge) plans for Kate Kane (Wallis Day) begin to unfold. Alice (Rachel Skarsten) is reunited with someone from her past, and Sophie (Meagan Tandy) must decide where her loyalty lies. Also starring Dougray Scott, Nicole Kang and Camrus Johnson. Directed by Glen Winter; story by Zack Siddiqui; teleplay by Jerry Shandy.

Promo:

Yes, will we finally be getting some Kate Kane back into this!?

So I guess it'll be awhile, if tonight's episode was any indication, before we see "Kate" unmasked, if at all.

Wow this was the best episode of the season! Everything clicked, all the storylines ran together smoothly, all of the "team ups" were very delightful.

Alice/Ryan were funny as hell to watch together, loved their dynamic. Batmobile scene was gold.

Mary/Sophie were fun, when Mary goes to the Crows office, pure gold. Mary finally gets a good storyline and plenty to do once she knows who Batwoman is.

What they are doing with Kate is EXACTLY what they should've done with Sara back in S4 of Arrow instead of the ridiculous Laurel lazarus pit storyline. It was nice to see how formidable of a threat she was to Ryan. More villains should be like that in general instead of all these red shirts who might as well lay down once Batwoman approaches.

Ryan leaving Alice to die...wow. Sure I get it but girl you better make sure that she is dead cause if she aint...now you have Alice on your back again. I'm surprised they have Kate so brainwashed that she has zero twintuation with Alice and vice versa.

If they were going to kill Alice off, this probably would've been the perfect way to do it. Kate unwillingly killing her sister and Batwoman leaving her to die sets a tone.

Though contrived, I guess it serves the (melo)drama to have “evil” Kate’s identity and true fate concealed from family and friends. But a mask or facial scars/burns would have done that job. I wonder why they opted for both.

Of course, they could be setting up for the old “plastic surgery trope” to “explain” the Rose-to-Day recasting. But if the difference is so substantial (in-universe) that you need an (in-universe) explanation, this implies that the mask was unnecessary.

:thf:

I'm alright with the mask. It lends a nice, creepy look to the character, and it fits with the False Face Society's maskness. I also think it's to reinforce the Circe-personality. Somehow, I think if it's removed and she sees her face, damaged or not, it might help in breaking the mind trick they have going on her.
I also think that Alice may prove pivotal to that. I think she is the first who is going to realize who Circe really is, and more than likely by spending some time in the same cell where Kate was first kept. Kate may have left some writings on the walls... So, I hope it is Alice who is critical in getting Kate back.

Overall, a fun episode. Once again, Alice is the MVP for me. She is just fun to watch. All the rest... Without Kate, I'm just not as invested in them as I was. Esp when they make obviously stupid decisions. Case in point, doing the whole runaround in trying to destroy Batwoman's DNA sample, when all Sophie had to do was erase Ryder's. She wouldn't even have to tell Luke or Mary how she did it. C'mon, Luke could have done that from the Batcave!
For such smart people, they make a lot of simple (dupid) decisions:wall:

I also like how Kate was wiping the floor with Ryan!

Now, as to leaving Alice to die, that there just proves that Ryder is not fit to wear the symbol. Batwoma or Batman, they are about Justice, despite the vigilante route that they use. Leaving Alice like that just shows that Ryder is unfit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"