• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Supergirl Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

She did say she was Noel Neill, which was the name of the actress that played Lois Lane in the 1950s TV series Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves.

noel1.jpg

erica-durance-noel-neill.jpg

You know, I would love an episode similar to this with Kara and Clark.

You know, I would love an episode similar to this with Kara and Clark.

But he wasn't around while she was at the Danvers....the pilot pretty much showed that she pretty much watched him from afar and then in the 2nd season Alex reminding her that he pretty much abandoned her with the Danvers, this episode showed she pretty much was watching him from a far as well. I doubt there would have been enough interaction for them to even get an episode out of it.

I loved the episode, and yes I totally agree with the Veronica Mars comparison. The only thing that I didn't like was Jonn transforming into Alura....that to me was very wrong, and extremely hurtful. IMO, they should have gotten Clark to come in and speak with her. I was actually thinking they were bringing Alura in to hurt or trick her in a way to capture her.....not using Alura this way, so extremely hurtful IMO. Did not like that at all.

That was an odd creative choice, I get that J'onn was trying to look out for Kara and felt the message coming from someone that looked like her Mom would make it more likely to get through, but still, it was a bit awkward.

But he wasn't around while she was at the Danvers....the pilot pretty much showed that she pretty much watched him from afar and then in the 2nd season Alex reminding her that he pretty much abandoned her with the Danvers, this episode showed she pretty much was watching him from a far as well. I doubt there would have been enough interaction for them to even get an episode out of it.
I still think we should have a flashback ep that shows the full story there. I know we disagree on headcanons for this (I thought he visited more early on then backed off for some reason, you didn't) so I won't get into that, but it would be nice to have a definitive story showing Clark's side of things nonetheless, imo. I just think there's more to the story than "who's this kid? I can't raise a kid. Quick, lemme drop her off at a friend's place and stay away." :oldrazz:

Last edited:
I still think we should have a flashback ep that shows the full story there. I know we disagree on headcanons for this (I thought he visited more early on then backed off for some reason, you didn't) so I won't get into that, but it would be nice to have a definitive story showing Clark's side of things nonetheless, imo. I just think there's more to the story than "who's this kid? I can't raise a kid. Quick, lemme drop her off at a friend's place and stay away." :oldrazz:
At least this Clark did better by his cousin than the original comic story where he dropped Kara at an orphanage :yay: She was in touch with him because she knew how to e-mail his friend. I assume he thought being with him was too dangerous and he wanted her to have the choice of how or even weather to use her powers. She wasn’t old enough to make that choice yet so perhaps all the adults Clark/Eliza/Jeremiah all decided it would be better for her to learn to be human. Becoming Supergirl was a big life choice and it was important that she did it when she was ready not just because of Clark.

Anyway this is her story not his and I’m fine without this level detail all I need to know is the supercousins have a good relationship as adults.

I enjoyed this episode. Even though Melissa and Chyler barely played, it still felt like them with the younger versions, particularly young Chyler who seemed believably like the same person. She seemed like she would grow up into adult Chyler Danvers.

I felt this less so with young Kara, who didn't seem to have the same gentleness as Melissa. But she was still good.

This actually felt like a pilot to another young Supergirl series. They could have made a prequel show with these actors. I would've liked a Supergirl in high school show instead of being fully grown up. This would be one way to do it.

I hope to see future flashbacks to their stories when they were young. It's refreshing compared to some of the present day ones.

Btw if Chyler Leigh hadn't played Chyler Danvers, I think she would've made a decent Lois Lane for Superman. She seemed to have elements of her in this episode, especially the young version.

Last edited:
At least this Clark did better by his cousin than the original comic story where he dropped Kara at an orphanage :yay: She was in touch with him because she knew how to e-mail his friend. I assume he thought being with him was too dangerous and he wanted her to have the choice of how or even weather to use her powers. She wasn’t old enough to make that choice yet so perhaps all the adults Clark/Eliza/Jeremiah all decided it would be better for her to learn to be human. Becoming Supergirl was a big life choice and it was important that she did it when she was ready not just because of Clark.

Anyway this is her story not his and I’m fine without this level detail all I need to know is the supercousins have a good relationship as adults.
Well her relationship to him is an important part of her too, so I'd still like to see some backstory there. They've really made Clark look like a bit of a jerk with what little they've shown of how he handled it, and I don't think that's fair OR accurate to what they WANT to portray him as. He's not as important as Alex for the purposes of this show, but the Kara/Clark dynamic and history is still important enough to her life to warrant a spotlight for an ep, imo.

I just feel like showing him visiting early on and something going wrong (perhaps drawing unwanted attention in relation to the DEO under the real Henshaw), prompting Eliza/Jeremiah to ASK him to stay away - or something to that effect - would show him in the much more sympathetic light he deserves, and make their warm and fuzzy relationship now feel a bit more genuine and understandable. It would also add an element of sadness and pathos to their relationship if we show them contemplating how it could've been different. Because if he was basically a stranger from the moment she landed until he showed up recently, then I'm simply not buying their immediate camaraderie/rapport. We saw Alex throw that "does he know he abandoned you?" in Kara's face, but we never saw Kara really process or deal with that assertion in any meaningful way. I just think it's worth an episode to explore that concept/dynamic is all. Certainly more worthwhile and relevant to Kara than half the subplots we get on this show, lol.

Last edited:
I think one thing about young Kara that was off was that she wasn't quite dorky enough. She was more normal and a bit more serious and aggressive. It seems odd she would suddenly become a dork later on.

I think one thing about young Kara that was off was that she wasn't quite dorky enough. She was more normal and a bit more serious and aggressive. It seems odd she would suddenly become a dork later on.

Maybe older Kara was pulling a Clark Kent, cultivating her dorkiness to hide her true identity.

May be she was imitating Alex to get her to accept her. That is what I thought she was doing.

Uh yes, the huge "boycotting of the slave owner" has begun....:whatever::whatever::whatever:

Considering the steady ratings we have had, I don't think any regular viewers will boycott.

I was hoping we might get a scene at the end of adult Kara speeding into the bathroom in the morning before adult Chyler, just like when they were young.

That was an odd creative choice, I get that J'onn was trying to look out for Kara and felt the message coming from someone that looked like her Mom would make it more likely to get through, but still, it was a bit awkward.

I don't think Clark could have gotten in the message. That would be him basically saying, "hey! I can do it but you can't.". Half the episode showed she didn't agree with any of them on that, so why would she listen to him?

He is an adult to her kid, but it doesn't look like she saw it that way (and many teens don't take that reasoning well, although Kelly may be the expert here and know more. :cwink:)

Also, I got the impression that she was still in touch with Clark and chatted with him often. How else would she know about Chloe and have the freedom to actually contact her?

So, whatever happened to make him pull back would have happened in the future. Makes sense because with Jeremiah gone, he would have wanted to keep an eye on Kara.

My thinking of the pilot is not that she didn't know him much but that she kind of expected James to think that and hence, behaved that way. Also, may be, to discourage her getting ideas about superheroics (or because the Danvers asked him to), he didn't talk to her about Superman but Clark Kent and Krypton.

As for Alex, from what I have seen, Alex lashes out* whenever she thinks she is going to lose Kara (or her dad); so that may have been just lashing out. Also, a part of her probably does think that. That Clark should have looked out more for Kara. At that time in space (heh!), she probably couldn't imagine abandoning Kara herself; so couldn't imagine why Clark would leave her with Alex's parents like he did (it makes sense from his POV).

*Alex also comes through, so I am willing to forgive that in her.

I am also thinking, they are improving up on Season One and Season Two canon a bit. It's not good as far as timeline is concerned, but if it gives us a more coherent Season 3, it is good.

Since someone mentioned the car...from Chyler Leigh's Instagram...one last picture related to this episode.

23596199_133551140639222_3720249604634050560_n.jpg

You & Me, Sis... We can face anything. I believe we can rise above adversity and make a difference in the world on behalf of those who feel they have no voice. I believe we can accomplish great things... Together. I admire you and I believe in you and I love you @melissabenoist Let’s Do This #danverssisters style

Wow...two Lois Lanes..including in the late Ms. Neill the greatest IMO. By the way, prior to joining the TV show and taking over for Phyllis Coates starting in season 2 (who is still alive as far as I know) Noel played Lois in two Superman movie serials for Columbia in 1948 (Superman) and 1950 (Atom Man Vs. Superman).

Each was 15 chapters and starred Kirk Alyn as Superman/Clark Kent. But, to sell the film for kids who would spend a Saturday at the movies back in the day, Superman was just billed as himself, not Kirk Alyn.

Couldn't Kara have flown them both to Midvale instead of taking the car? It would've been a lot quicker.

Would be nice if they had a Midvale reunion in a future episode where it shows what all the other grown up versions of their high school peers are doing now.

Couldn't Kara have flown them both to Midvale instead of taking the car? It would've been a lot quicker.

Would be nice if they had a Midvale reunion in a future episode where it shows what all the other grown up versions of their high school peers are doing now.

Where would Kara have put the luggage? It would seem a heck of a hassle to have to try to carry Alex in one arm and all their luggage in the other.
And a car trip would be a lot more relaxing anyway.

We do know what became of Rick Malverne.

Another retcon - Kara stated in S1 that she loved school...especially history ("learning about this new planet").

Another retcon - Kara stated in S1 that she loved school...especially history ("learning about this new planet").

Maybe because she felt like such an outsider, even being rejected by Alex, Kara hated being on Earth and hated everything about it.
But after Kara and Alex became close, it changed Kara's view of the Earth and she became eager to find out everything she could about her new home.

another one that agrees that the kids who played young Alex and Kara knocked it out of the park. and to this day I still think it is cool that Helen Slater plays their mom.

Absolutely. ;nd

But travel by car obviously evokes various road-trip tropes - wherein the journey, itself, can be as important as the destination. We might assume that a slow car trip (as opposed to a super-speed flight) allowed Kara and Alex some valuable “decompression” time.

Plus I think Kara's a big fan of that car now. ;)

I have watched this episode several times over the last few days....I think those kids did a fantastic job.

I have watched this episode several times over the last few days....I think those kids did a fantastic job.

So much so that I want to see what happens next with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"