Luke Cage Erik LaRay Harvey is Willis Stryker/Diamondback

I'd agree that Diamondback is the worst Netflix villain so far, but I don't think he's bad - just not good enough to be on the same level as Kilgrave and Fisk, even Cottonmouth.

Luke Cage messed up villain storylines a bit. Diamondback shoulda been better written. Even though he had some great moments (n----, I am your brother!), he wasn't compelling as the others were. He was a textbook example of 70s over the top movie villains.

But I don't also think he's the main villain, the big bad. For me, Shades and Mariah are much closer to that concept considering their actions and significance for the plot and characters.

I guess I won't understand the Diamondback dislike (won't call it hate, it's such a strong word!) because I really enjoyed his character. He was exactly what the series needed: a blaxploitation villain being just plain evil. I thought with the other deeper characters in the story, we didn't need another nuanced villain being all super deep and mysterious. I was waiting for Diamondback to get there, the story needed a jolt at that moment. We needed a dude with a gun and an attitude to come in and tear up *****. A boogeyman who can drop some good one-liners, be menacing and fun and keep the story pushing. I don't think Cottonmouth, Mariah, or Shades would have been able to pull off that role in the story at all. But based on all the reviews I'm reading, I'm in the vast minority with my opinion, so oh well.

tumblr_oee3826XwK1v6ll8uo2_250.gif
tumblr_oee3826XwK1v6ll8uo1_250.gif

i think every line he spoke was taken from another film or show

Reading one of the OHOTMU I think they are/will/have combined elements of three characters into Daimondback. Willis Stryker obviously, and Coldfire, but I expect something kinda like John Bushmaster next we see him.

I just saw a Law & Order SVU rerun on ION, "Presumed Guilty" (2013) and it featured guest actors Erik LaRay Harvey and Theo Rossi.

In the episode, Rossi played a man whose sister was apparently abused by a priest as a teen. Harvey played Fin's (ex)brother in law, a parolee who gets arrested while helping fend off an assault against a priest.

I'm thinking it can't be a coincidence that these two ended up on the Luke Cage show. My guess is one of the Cage producers saw this episode.

Harvey's mannerisms were similiar to how he was in Boardwalk Empire too. I haven't seen him in very many things, maybe he's always typecast as a villain like this?

Luke: "You ruined my life!"

Diamondback: "I gave you wings! I sent you to Hell, and you come back with superpowers. Ain't that a *****?"

Just rewatched that part. This is a supremely talented actor he'll be better season 2

Yeah that was a great line.

I didn't dislike Diamondback as much as most it seems. Even though he was certainly weaker than Cottonmouth and Bushmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"