Luke Cage Luke Cage supporting Cast

chamber-music

Infinity Ammo
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread on some of Luke Cage supporting cast that may show up in the show.

Discuss the characters and who you would like to see play their roles.

First up Luke Cage childhood best friends and fellow gang members
Harlem_Rivals_h.jpg

Willis Stryker
Diamondback2.jpg

Willis Stryker and Carl Lucas grew up best friends, forming local street gang, the Rivals, together, and eventually becoming its leaders. Fights against rival gangs such as the Diablos honed Willis’ knife-fighting skills.

Lucas eventually quit the gangs, but Willis’ involvement deepened, and he tried to cut into the Syndicate’s territory. Then both men became rivals for the affections of Lucas’ work colleague Reva Connors. At first Willis’ money impressed Reva, but witnessing Syndicate heavies ambush Willis demonstrated to her his lifestyle’s brutality. Reva fled for help, returning with Lucas in time to save Willis’ life. Despite this, an enraged Willis blamed Lucas when Reva dumped him. Willis stole two kilos of uncut heroin from his rival Cornell Cottonmouth’s gang, and used it to frame Lucas, who was imprisoned, allowing Willis to move in on Reva, falsely promising to help prove Lucas’ innocence. She was in Willis’ car when it was forced off the road in retaliation for the theft; he survived, but she did not.

Over the next few years Willis won his place in the Syndicate, known as Diamondback, because of his speed with his blades. However Lucas gained superpowers and escaped prison; as “Luke Cage”, he returned to New York, and targeted Willis’ gang. Warned the Syndicate would drop him if he didn’t deal with Cage, Willis lured Cage into an ambush. Facing Cage on a rooftop, Willis fell through a skylight. An explosive dagger he had intended for Cage landed next to him, detonating and killing him.

Shades and Comanche
comanche3.jpg
3262.jpg

Comanche is ½ black and ½ Native American. Shades real name is Victor Hernan Alvarez and he is the father of the current Mighty Avengers Power Man.

Shades and Comanche were fellow hoods from Harlem who ran the streets with then Carl Lucas and Willis Stryker. The four of them made up the gang called the Rivals. They worked the streets for the more established mobs. When they grew up, Lucas went straight, but Shades and Comanche continued to associate with Stryker once he became a mobster himself.

(Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1, 1972) Shades and Comanche were arrested and sent to Seagate where Lucas was already imprisoned. They attempted to manipulate Lucas into starting a prison riot, but Cage didn’t fall for it. Comanche drew a shiv on Lucas, but Lucas knocked him with one punch. After Lucas escaped, the guard responsible for Lucas’ mishap, Rackham, took his frustration out on the prisoners, especially the Black ones.

Shades and Comanche were able to dig escape tunnels out prison, and went after Rackham, carrying a burning hatred for him due to his treatment of them in prison. The pair tracked Rackham across the country, committing small crimes to make cash. When they found him, they donned costumes so Rackham wouldn’t recognize them. They approached Lucas, now called Luke Cage, to ask him to join the protection racket they wanted to set up, as well as to get revenge on Rackham. Luke agreed, but only because he needed help proving his friend Claire Temple was innocent. As the three made their way to Rackham’s house, it exploded due to the vigilante Stiletto blowing it up. The explosion killed Rackham, but Luke was able to save Shades and Comanche. The three parted ways with the duo in debt to Luke. (Luke Cage, Hero for Hire, #14-16, 1973) The two met up with Luke again when they were working for Bushmaster, who had blackmailed Luke into attacking Misty Knight. Bushmaster’s attempt was foiled and the duo made their escape.

(Power Man #48-49, 1977, 1978) The duo was hired by Industrialist Ward Meachum. Meachum provided them with upgraded weapons. Shades got a new optical blaster and Comanche got new trick arrows, the duo attacked Luke and incapacitated him. Luke revives and goes to Iron Fist for help. Luke and Danny search for the pair and come across them in a park receiving payment from a man in a suit. Luke and Danny’s friend D.W., who was filming the pair, got the man on tape. The man, Ward Meachum, instructs Shades and Comanche to retrieve the tape. The pair are defeated and turned over to the cops by the Heroes for Hire. Before the cops can take them away, Shades blasts the heroes off of a bridge. The heroes eventually see the film clip and recognize Meachum as the man in the suit paying off Shades and Comanche. Meachum kidnaps Misty Knight and D.W., but they are rescued by Luke, Danny, and some of their hero friends.

Danny takes on Master Khan, who is there to kill Iron Fist. Luke is attacked by Shades and Comanche, who are defeated. After everything settles and Master Khan is defeated, Meachum and his men are arrested. (Power Man and Iron Fist #98-100, 1983) When Shades got out of crime, Comanche stayed in. He eventually ended up working for Nightshade and becoming a part of her Flashmob. Comanche was one of the former Cage enemies who was sent to retrieve the optic blasters Nightshade thought Shades son had in his possession. (Shadowland: Power Man, #2, 2010)

curious. I have mixed feelings about the early-era buddy DW, aka DW Griffith, film geek and assistant at the Gem Theater. The name may have been meant as an ironic joke, but especially now I see it as in bad taste given what the real-life filmmaker Griffith was responsible for in Birth of a Nation.

There need to be some Harlem barber shop scenes. Let's see how the events of the MCU get discussed in that setting.

If Empire doesn't take up his schedule totally, I wouldn't mind seeing Terrence Howard as Stryker/Diamondback. Still, I hope that the showrunner Mr. Coker has some good character and casting choices in mind.

I'd like to see new female character as Cage's secretary- race is open but preferably black, asian or latin.

I think you forgot Terrence Howard was Rhodey in the first Iron Man film and fell out with Marvel.

I think Ving Rhames would make a good Cornell Cottonmouth.

Danny Glover or Louis Gossett Jr. as James Lucas senior.

Dennis Haysbert as Big Ben Donovan.

Yasiin Bey/Mos Def as Shades

Michael Kenneth Williams or Malcolm Goodwin as Stryker

Big Ben Donovan (Benjamin Donovan)
Big_Ben_Earth_616.jpg

Benjamin_Donoval_Earth_616_001.jpg

A lawyer who is Luke Cage ally and occasional enemy.
Big_Ben_Donovan_h3.jpg

Donovan has also had dealings with Matt Murdock in the comics so could sever as a character on both shows.
“Big Ben” Donovan, a towering Harlem attorney, was always a bit on the shady side. Through various up and downs resulting from his questionable ethics and affiliations.

In his first appearance, a somewhat intoxicated Ben Donavan angrily attacked Luke Cage mistakenly thinking the "Hero for Hire" was involved with this date for the evening Mrs. Jenks. After Luke had soundly defeated Donavan, the two became friends and Donavan served as a competent lawyer to Cage. To repay Cage, Donovan performed legal services for him. At Cage's request, Donovan put a "tail" on the Hero for Hire that brought authorities onto the scene to help him subdue Billy Bob Rackham, Shades, and Comanche.

Donovan later became involved in drug trafficing with the Maggia. Donovan had become bitter in life, even hiring a sniper to successfully assasinate a policeman who had previously arrested him. When he tried to steal a massive shipment of drugs from the cartel, he tried to enlist Cage to help him. However, Big Ben quickly betrayed Cage to the the Maggia organization. The Maggia, with Ben Donovan in tow, defeated Cage, chained him, placed him in a coffin and briefly buried him in at Resthaven Cemetary.

Iron Fist and Thunderbolt arrived just in time to save Donovan from his gangland execution by the Maggia. After defeating the crime thugs, Donovan repaid the two heroes by immeidiately turning his pistol on the pair. Cage literally emerged from his grave to stop Donovan. The speedster Thunderbolt shot and quickly disabled Donavan right before the hero died of his lethal radiation poisoning. Donovan is sent to prison.

I thought I would start a thread on some of Luke Cage supporting cast that may show up in the show.

Discuss the characters and who you would like to see play their roles.

First up Luke Cage childhood best friends and fellow gang members
Harlem_Rivals_h.jpg

Willis Stryker
Diamondback2.jpg

Shades and Comanche
comanche3.jpg
3262.jpg

Comanche is ½ black and ½ Native American. Shades real name is Victor Hernan Alvarez and he is the father of the current Mighty Avengers Power Man.

I feel like these three should be major players in the Luke Cage show. Willis Stryker, without a doubt, should be the major antagonist for this first season. His falling out with Luke, the framing and his lust for power would make for amazing character drama.
Shades and Comanche should be around as recurring characters and comedic relief. Have them be in the middle of Luke and Willis. Not as evil as Willis, but definitely still criminals. Shades is the smarter of the two while Comanche should be the muscle.

As for casting:
  • Ty Hodges for Willis Stryker
  • Gregg Wayans for Shades
  • Adrian Lockett for Comanche
  • Dominique Perry for Reva Connors

James Lucas, Jr aka Coldfire
Luke's brother
Cage_Vol_1_8_page_23_James_Lucas_Jr_Earth_616.jpg

Cage46.jpg

James Lucas, Jr. was born and raised in Harlem, New York and lived in an apartment block with mother, father, and younger brother. As he grew up he started to hate his criminal brother and believed that he brought shame upon the family. His father James had to keep bailing Carl out of jail. He even blamed his brother Carl Lucas, who would later become the superhero known as Luke Cage for the death of their mother. The brothers fought constantly and over time James hatred for his brother grew and grew. When Carl went to prison James and his father moved around the country trying to keep him away from Carl. The pair did not even know each other was still alive.

When Cage was closing in on his location Dakota North confronted him but he was rescued by Hardcore. Taken in by the Corporation he complied with Power Master’s plan to deal with his brother Luke.

James Jr. was unable to fight his super powered brother, so decided to gain abilities of his own He went through a mutagenic process devised by the scientist Dr. Karl Malus stolen from technology used by the Soviets. His body was altered so he was engulfed in a White-hot flame which did not burn him. He was trained in the ability to transfer his consciousness into incendiary protoplasm. His father was taken hostage to ensure his cooperation. He battled Luke but eventually teamed up with him to save their father. In the process his body was killed and his energy form began to dissipate.

I think Dule Hill would be good in the role.

David Griffith aka D.W Griffith
David_Griffith_Earth_616_from_Mighty_Avengers.jpg

720693_dw1.jpg

Confidant of Luke Cage. D.W. operated his uncle's Gem theatre in Times Square and leased a 3rd story office to Luke Cage. Cage inflicted almost constant damage to the facility, including wrecking his theatre.[However, Griffith remained a close friend to Luke. For a period of time in his life, Cage considered D.W. Griffith his only friend.

Griffith sometimes proved quite useful to Cage in his adventures. Griffith used his expertise of audio-visual equipment to let the residents of Security City know the true evil intentions of Cage's nemesis Gideon Mace. Later he valiantly attempted to free Cage from the hypnosis of the Circus of Crime.

D.W. was also a "film student" and attempted to produce his own productions. Once Dave became somewhat depressed, considered taking a lethal dose of Acid Z, and jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. However, a mysterious stranger convinced him to be happy with his life, regardless of which stage it was presently in.

James Lucas Jr: I don't think he should become Coldfire in the series because I like the grounded approach that the Netflix series is having, but maybe in another season. Definitely should be included to show to repercussions of Luke's gang involvement during his youth on his family, as well as the external influence of the urban community on those who live in there.

D.W. Griffith: I think he should show up in the show, maybe as someone who gives Luke aid after getting injured or somewhere to stay after being wanted (maybe after he busts out of Seagate). I'd alter his personality so that Luke doesn't have two laidback blonde friends (the other obviously being Danny Rand). Maybe something more stoner-esque in nature (not doing drugs, but their personality).

I doubt they will have James Jr become a supervillain but I could see him selling out his brother to a villain or calling the cops on him out of spite.

D.W. Griffith I would expect to take the civilian friend position that Foggy has in Daredevil.

I think it would be cool if Michael K. Williams had a role in Cage, perhaps as Stryker. He already appeared in the Marvel U as 'Harlem Bystander' in TIH, so it would be kind of a neat no-prize as well.

I'd really like to see Misty Knight in this series too.

I wouldn't mind if Michael K. Williams character was revealed to be Stryker and appears in this show.

I could see Misty Knight being introduced in the show as a cop. I expect her to show up in Iron Fist if she isn't in this show.

I'm still heated over the bad pun with DW's name. I'd just as soon bypass him entirely if there's going to eventually be a friendship with Iron Fist.

I actually never put two and two together and got the problem with DW Griffith's name before.

But still, I thought he was a cool, quirky character. I hope he makes it in the show at some point, even if they change his name.

I'm still heated over the bad pun with DW's name. I'd just as soon bypass him entirely if there's going to eventually be a friendship with Iron Fist.

They could just call him David Griffith, that would seem to side step this issue. I would rather do that, then try to maintain this somewhat offensive stupid pun with his shortened name.

I wonder if they'll have detective Tyrone King. especially considering who he was retconned to be. Or maybe they'll go with another interpretation. We'll see.

So Big Ben made it into Daredevil season 2, and he wasn't all that big. Good, but not big

Cockroach Hamilton - Michael K Williams (maybe even talks about the Hulk sighting since he was a bystander in TIH)
OPWlYIx.jpg

Piranha Jones - Giancarlo Esposito
WsBbh8E.jpg

Tombstone - Tony Todd
rwnIwEA.jpg

Last edited:
carl weathers needs to be brought in as Luke's father. There can be some flashbacks to his time as a police detective.

They could just call him David Griffith, that would seem to side step this issue. I would rather do that, then try to maintain this somewhat offensive stupid pun with his shortened name.
They could always change the name slightly for the MCU. They changed Killgrave to Kilgrave and gave Vanessa Fisk her own last name of Marianna. I could see them making David Griffith into David Griffin or something just to sidestep the issue but still use the character.

So Big Ben made it into Daredevil season 2, and he wasn't all that big. Good, but not big

Cockroach Hamilton - Michael K Williams (maybe even talks about the Hulk sighting since he was a bystander in TIH)
OPWlYIx.jpg

Piranha Jones - Giancarlo Esposito
WsBbh8E.jpg

Tombstone - Tony Todd
rwnIwEA.jpg

Some great choices! Here are some of my casting choices for now:

David Griffith - Wyatt Russell
Willis Stryker - Andre Holland
Comanche - Columbus Short
Albert Rackham - Eric Stonestreet
Coldfire - Omar Epps

Former NFL footballer turned actor Thomas Q Jones is Comanche