Luke Cage Mike Colter is Luke Cage!

Well, I think they kinda had to do that so that people in Harlem don't know who he is. Though it does kind of require some suspension of disbelief over how his old enemies just happen to wind up there too.

I just finished the show and I loved Mike Colter's performance as Luke Cage. It's like he was born to play the role. He brought so much heart and humanity to the role of Luke, very convincingly portraying him as someone who just wants to do the right thing but also feels conflicted because he originally wanted to be left along, owing to his traumatic past in prison. Colter was extremely likable in the role and made you want to root for him all the way.

I liked Colter in the role as well. I thought he brought a lot of energy and heart to the role. I did think there were minutes where he kinda was eh, but overall I liked him as Cage. Think his best moment was during his origin story. Some good acting from him there.

Colter is solid as Luke Cage. I think he was a phenomenal choice & he's only gonna get better as time goes on.

And I'd definitely agree that his most impactful/emotional piece was his origin story. Brilliantly told & sold.

i wished he lifted a little more for the role. he naturally looks like a big dude, he'd probably look super huge if he worked out more

Gonna be watching the show this week. Looking forward to it.

i wished he lifted a little more for the role. he naturally looks like a big dude, he'd probably look super huge if he worked out more

:drl: He's added 30+ lbs of muscle. I'm not sure what else you're expecting. He's the perfect size to be Luke Cage right now. He doesn't need to look like Ronnie Coleman.

:drl: He's added 30+ lbs of muscle. I'm not sure what else you're expecting. He's the perfect size to be Luke Cage right now. He doesn't need to look like Ronnie Coleman.
i know he added 30 pounds, but he looks like he's certainly capable of adding even more weight on easy. i wanted him to look super dooper ripped. like that old spice guy. or christian bale in bb.

Eh, that's not necessary. Again, he's an actor, not a bodybuilder. His physique is fine as is.

Yeah, not sure you can make Colter even bigger. Look. Characters in comics generally have exaggerated bodies. Luke Cage isn't going to look as jacked as Brock Lesnar.

Is it just me or does Mike Colter look like the character Yul Brynner from the Disney movie Cool Runnings?

Malik-Yoba-Yul-Brenner-Then-.jpg

Last edited:
I like Colter but I thought he was awful as Luke Cage,Still wish Terry Crews got the role

I like Colter but I thought he was awful as Luke Cage,Still wish Terry Crews got the role

Maybe not Terry Crews (since he's getting older and I don't think can pull off dramatic scenes) but yeah, Mike Colter is a terrible Luke Cage. I could tell this from his portayal on Jessica Jones that it wasn't going to click on his own show. At no point was he believable, nor could he really emote.

That's not mention I think he played a huge role in making Cage (as well as the fight scenes) so boring:

Mike Colter Describes His Initial Concern With Playing Luke Cage - MCUExchange

“I was so against it,I revisit the feeling I had, that first initial look at the character, trying to figure out the research and the character, who this is guy this, and I’m like, ‘I don’t want any part of this.’ I couldn’t think of anything that I didn’t want to do more. I didn’t want to do anything physical, a role where it relied on power and all the stuff like that. And also, I didn’t know how the character would be written, I didn’t know what this character was going to be like. It just seemed limiting. I just thought, ‘What could I do with this?’ I hadn’t seen any material yet. The idea of the character made me cringe.”

“Everybody has an idea of how the character is going to be, and I’m like, this is how I’m going to do it and this is it, take it or leave it. I’m not saying that’s what I said, but I felt like if they were to try and push me in a certain way, that I would’ve walked away from it. There was only one way that I thought this character should be portrayed that I wasn’t going to compromise on.”

How do you sign up to play a character called POWER MAN and not want to do physical scenes? Not mention being ashamed of the source material.

I think Colter was the wrong choice, and he doesn't have the personality for it either. He should've walked away instead of them getting him at all costs just to play it the way he wanted, even if it's not accurate to the comics.

Colter was bad. Really miscast yeah and I don't get why get him when he had all those reservations

I think what he is saying is he wanted Luke to be about more than just throwing people and physical stuff. He wanted Luke to say something outside of hitting people and just relying on his super powers solely. He wanted him to stand for something he could get behind. I agree he isn't using the best words, but that is how I read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"