• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Essential ASM - or - Marvel Masterworks ASM ?

Red_Knight

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

just looking for opinions here. Now that I have returned to 616 Spider-Man in the wake of BND, I would like to add the Webhead's first stories -- say, up to ASM #200 -- to my collection as well. Obtaining the originals (or even individual reprints) seems out of the question for obvious reasons. So, the only choices AFAIK would be "Essential ASM" or "Marvel Masterworks ASM".

The Essential volumes would be rather cheap to obtain, of course, but I'm not sure b/w-art will cut it for me. On the other hand, the Masterworks series seems awfully expensive. So, what would your advice be? Did I miss any alternatives? Are there any pros and cons I'm overlooking, and how would you decide?

Any help/info would be much appreciated!

well i recently accquired the complete collection cd rom, it was cheap and its in color. but if u want to have the actaul books id say go with the essentials, just cuz u get more for ur money.

I go with the Essentials every time. The presentation of Masterworks is great, but I'm simply not coughing up that extra coin for color and less stories per volume.

Also, you could check out the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus.
Collects Amazing Fantasy #15, Amazing Spider-Man #1-38 and Annual #1-2; plus the Spider-Man stories from Fantastic Four Annual #1 and Strange Tales Annual #2, and the covers to Marvel Tales #3-28 and Annual #1-2

I don't know how you feel about reading comics on your computer, but if it doesn't put you off too much, you should take a look at this.

Neither I'd go for the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, which I have BTW. :hyper:

Well, Essentials have more pages, but Marvel Masterworks have color. So, I say go with Marvel Masterworks. Also, the Amazing Spider-Man CD-Rom collection is fantastic, so that's something else you should think about. :up:

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll definitely get the CD-Rom collection sometime down the road, just to be able to read EVERY Spidey-book published whenever I feel like it :word: . For the earlier issues up to #200, I'd prefer to have something physical on the shelf, though.

So, how is the Omnibus, quality-wise. Sounds almost too cool to be true, -- a full color hardcover with over a 1000 pages for 80 bucks? Can it actually be read comfortably? Also, is it a standard comic-format release, or more of a digest-type of release? I'm really curious.

IMO the Omnibus is best read sitting your lap or on a desk; its really thick. Yea its standard, not digest.

If you buy ASM-DVD Rom, note that you will get only Amazing Spider-man books, You'll miss Spectacular, Web Of and every other Spider-man series. But you should still buy the DVD Rom, it's well worth it.

You know, I have the originals, I have the DVD Rom set, I have the Essentials, and I have the Marvel Masterworks...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

If you really want to just get up to ASM #200, I'd recommend the DVD Rom set for the colour viewing, but as Finlandman stated, once you get into the later issues (in the late 300's), the stories start crossing over with other Spidey books, so you'll miss out on those stories, but it's still a reasonable price to view the first 200 issues...

Otherwise, I'd get the Essentials... they're already up to ASM #185, and the next one should be out in the near future. I don't mind the black'n white, but I have seen them in colour, so you'll have to look at a few Essentials and see if you can dig it.

Good luck... and happy reading. :up:

:yay:

Omnibus for FTW!

Easily the best format.

..only the first 38 issues so far tho, plus the first two annuals.

I have the Essential books, I'm not that picky over reprints and I would never pay so much for Marvel Masterworks, I'm surprised they are never discounted at bookstores since I don't see that many people buying them.

I have the Essential books, I'm not that picky over reprints and I would never pay so much for Marvel Masterworks, I'm surprised they are never discounted at bookstores since I don't see that many people buying them.

Aloha,
Marvel Masterworks are considered collectors items. I've seen some of the early Spidey editions go for over $100. My wife bought most of them for me when they first came out(yes, she's a Saint).
Spidey rules

If you buy ASM-DVD Rom, note that you will get only Amazing Spider-man books, You'll miss Spectacular, Web Of and every other Spider-man series. But you should still buy the DVD Rom, it's well worth it.

Aloha,
Come visit the Library for the missing parts.
Spidey rules

If you can afford it Marvel Masterworks. I understand if you do Essentials, as they are much cheaper.

It’s been over 10 years. I’m pretty sure he’s made up his mind by now....lol

It’s been over 10 years. I’m pretty sure he’s made up his mind by now....lol
Wow...this old thread back from the dead!!!
I would still say the Omnibus is the best way to go...finally opened mine up. It's awesome. The original ads and letters pages make for a really unique experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"