Stranded on a Desert Island

Spider‐Man

Civilian
Reaction score
So I saw this thread earlier -

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=24486617#post24486617

- and it got me thinking if I was stranded with a limited amount of Marvel reading material what would be included?

So here are the rules. It can't be thousands of books, say 'the entire Marvel collection', but I don't want to be too restrictive so let's say less than 500 pieces. The list can include any Marvel reading material such as trades (yes that could count as one!), novels, reference material, whatever - it just has to be about Marvel or it's characters.

Mine would include:

- ASM Essential 1-11 (got 200+ issues covered in 11 books! See how that works?)
- Origins of MArvel Comics
- Son of Origins of Marvel Comics
- Bring on the Bad Guys by Stan Lee
- The Superhero Women by Stan Lee
- Marvel's Greatest Superhero Battles by Stan Lee
(LOVE all these old Fireside books by Stan and I get all the initial/origin issues of the greatest characters without having to claim them each as a seperate issue!)
- Marvel Team up Essential 1-3 (or is it 4 - can' remember)
- Issues of Amazing not covered in Essential up thru #400
- Marvel Team up not covered in Essential thru #150
- Iron Man 100-130
- Dr. Strange Ditko run
- Machine Man volume 1
- Rom Spaceknight 1-75
- Various Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Comics Presents, and other anthology books
- Marvel 2-in-1 #1-30ish
- FF Essential 1-6
- Avengers Essential 1-6
- Infinity Gauntlet trade
- Kree/Skrull War trade (I think is actually in that Avengers Essential run but just in case...)
- Novels:
*the 11 Marvel Novel Series books that came out in the 70s
*DD Predator's Smile
*Spider-Man Venom Factor
*Spider-Man Lizard Sanction
*Iron Man The Armor Trap
*FF To Save Atlantis
*Ultimate Spider-Man (anthology)
*Ultimate Silver Surfer (anthology)
*Ultimate X-Men (anthology)
*Ultimate Super Villains (anthology)
*Hulk What Savage Beast
*The 3 X-Men Mutant Empire books
*Spider-Man Doomsday Trilogy
*Spider-Man the Sinister Six trilogy

- and finish up with as many of the major titles from every month thru the 60s/early 70s (not including westerns, romance or anything already covered in what I've already listed)

I know that's quite a list but remember, this is all you'd have to read for the rest of your life! When people talk about the quality of the work put out today being so much better than what was put out in the past, I simply ask 'What has more re-readability'? I'll stick with material from the 60s thru the 70s/early 80s!

To take it a step further, the further I had to limit what I could have with me the more exclusively "Spider-Man" it would become, down to the earliest issues.

How about you?

Last edited:
I'd take 500 copies of Ultimatum. That should keep me in kindling and toilet paper for a while...

I'd take 500 copies of Ultimatum. That should keep me in kindling and toilet paper for a while...

Ultimatum is ok but for two-ply comfort plus igniteability, I'll have to say the Civil War Saga would be a little better! :cwink:

I thought this was gonna ask what superhero you'd have with you on a deserted island. I'd say condiment king

I thought this was gonna ask what superhero you'd have with you on a deserted island. I'd say condiment king
i would've said namor, or any flying superheroes...seems obvious :p

^%$*& that!
it would be Mystique! Cause it would always be with someone new... of course then she would kill your ass for your coconuts!
ahem sorry
any 70's comics! if it was DC i would have said watchmen, " The Killing joke! and *coconuts!
( *so i can make batteries ala professor on Gilligan island)

I'd want a Carol or somebody like that because eventually with just the 2 of us on the island, she'll lose hope for any rescue and let me hit it. :up:

Off the top of my head

-Kraven's Last Hunt
-Marvels
-Dr.Strange: The Oath
-Ed Brubaker's Captain America
-Uncanny X-force
-Whedon's Astonishing X-men
-Jim Lee's X-men
-Infinity Gaunlet
-Most of my Amazing Spider-mans

I'd want a Carol or somebody like that because eventually with just the 2 of us on the island, she'll lose hope for any rescue and let me hit it. :up:

^%$*& that!
it would be Mystique! Cause it would always be with someone new... of course then she would kill your ass for your coconuts!
ahem sorry
any 70's comics! if it was DC i would have said watchmen, " The Killing joke! and *coconuts!
( *so i can make batteries ala professor on Gilligan island)
Haha, I was just thinking about what I was gonna eat. :p
Didn't even think of flying out. Lol

Ok here's my 2cents:
-Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus
-Marvels
-Avengers Forever
-Essential Silver Surfer
-Essential X-men
-Essential Spider-man
-Essential Marvel Team-up
-Essential Fantastic Four
-Essential Avengers
-Essential Captain America
-Essential Ironman
-Essential Ironfist
-Essential Powerman
-Essential Powerman/Ironfist
-Essential Defenders (vol.1)
-Essential Werewolf by Night
-Essential Dr. Strange
-Essential Daredevil
-Brubaker Captain America Omnibus
-Earth X trilogy
-Whedon Astonishing X-men Omnibus
(I'd also have a ton of pre New 52 DC :cwink:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"