• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What's up with Marvel Essentials?

Sundancer

Cynicist
Reaction score
I have no idea. I gave mine to my nephews a few years back. It's barely more than newsprint. They shouldn't be going for more than $20 or so. Go figure.

Supply and demand, I guess. I really wanted Essential Black Panther because I wanted to read Panther's Rage and it was still cheaper than the Marvel Masterworks version (although I do miss color). It was up to $70 or 80 at one point. I finally got it on Amazon for less than $50 and considered that a win.

If the line has been discontinued, it would make sense for the price to be relatively higher. Although I hope it hasn't been (as much as I dislike the lack of color, it remains one of the most cost-effective ways to collect classic stories).

Supply and demand, I guess. I really wanted Essential Black Panther because I wanted to read Panther's Rage and it was still cheaper than the Marvel Masterworks version (although I do miss color). It was up to $70 or 80 at one point. I finally got it on Amazon for less than $50 and considered that a win.

If the line has been discontinued, it would make sense for the price to be relatively higher. Although I hope it hasn't been (as much as I dislike the lack of color, it remains one of the most cost-effective ways to collect classic stories).

If the demand is there I'm curious as to why Marvel stopped.

I get some demand like Spiderman, but didn't know an audience existed for Iron Fist. Maybe because of the Netflix series???

Haven't they been phased out and replaced by the Marvel Epic Collections?

I don't know. I haven't actually read any of the Epic Collections, but based on their description, they seem very similar to Essentials.

And yeah, I really wanted the Iron Fist Vol. 1 Essential (the one I don't have) and can't afford that price.

Looking at Amazon, the Epic Collections seems to be compilations or anthologies.

One of the cool things about the Essentials is that they included other appearances outside of the main series. Essential Punisher v.1 starts off with several Spider-man stories.

Looking at Amazon, the Epic Collections seems to be compilations or anthologies.

One of the cool things about the Essentials is that they included other appearances outside of the main series. Essential Punisher v.1 starts off with several Spider-man stories.

The Epic collection books do this also. Moon Knight has his earliest appearances in Werewolf By Night, Marvel Spotlight, Defenders, etc. before it even gets to the first ongoing.

They are pretty much just colored versions of Essentials and they are very nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"