EW's top 25 sci-fi movies and tv shows from the last 25 years

Yeah, but nerdy guy getting the girl in Spider-Man doesn't make that a romantic comedy.

No it doesn't, because the romance is secondary to the superhero story in Spider-Man. Spider-Man is not a story about a girl (despite what Peter says).

Return of The Jedi shoulda been #1. It was in the past 25 years and its the best of the orginal Star Wars, which is the best Sci-fi thing ever.

Memo to all Hypesters: Disregard anything this member says in the future.

'fire

No Superhero movies on the list?I believe they count as Sci-Fi.

I agree Heroes shouldn't be on the list. It's good television but it's too early to say it's groundbreaking sci-fi. And V the miniseries deserves a higher ranking. It should switch places with the Lost.

Heroes should be replaced with Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence. It was great sci-fi, even if it was depressing and a bit too honest about human nature for audiences.

i need to watch that again... i haven't seen it since it first came out, and i remember liking it a little, but i think i'd appreciate it a lot more now.

No Superhero movies on the list?I believe they count as Sci-Fi.

the reason for that is that only X2 is good enough be on that list and the fact that most of the stuff on the list is better than X2 would give a good reason why there are no superhero movies on there...

The Matrix definitely deserves the top spot.

It's the one movie experience out of all these films/shows that was irreplaceable IMO. I watched it opening night with a packed theater and we were all just as clueless as pre-red-pill-Neo was going in. Watching it all unfold was hands down the most engrossing and powerful movie going experiences of my life. Even before Neo takes the red pill it's clear that something is different about this movie. Then once he takes that pill there's no turning back.

Even if you scoff at the revolutionary special effects. You scoff at the classic action sequences and the flawless storytelling. You scoff at the layered and quotable dialogue. You scoff at the socio-political themes. You scoff at the existential themes. You scoff at the religious allegories that ad a whole other dimension to fighting within the Matrix. You scoff at how much it kicked ass the first time you watched it unfold in a crowded theater. You should at least appreciate how the movie permeated the masses in a subversive way unlike any movie before it and made sci-fi cool/relevant again at the perfect time(1999).

a-mother-effing-men to that.

Heroes doesn't belong on that list, I've got nothing against it but it doesn't belong in the top twenty-five. Alien needs to be on there and Firefly/Serenity need to be higher.

I'm still pissed that Minority Report isn't on that list.
That is one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever, and one of my personal favorite movies.

:mad: :down

I think what the Matrix had going for it was it did manipulate audiences in a good way. The same way Hitchcock didn't let audiences know what Psycho was about going in. You go in expecting one thing and by 1/3 through the movie you are completely blindsided.

The difference is Psycho is a masterpiece worth rewatching in minute detail for its brilliance. After the initial surprise of the first viewing or two of The Matrix what is left is an action movie that is damn good but pretends to be more than it is.

Not the best of its genre in the last 25 years, that's for damn sure. It was innovative in technology and special effects but after the first time through and the surprise is gone you are left with a movie that is good, but too shallow and pretentious to be as great as its fans declare it.

And yes, I would say Serenity is the better movie. Hands down. Not to mention Blade Runner, Children of Men, Terminator 2, Aliens, Minority Report, etc. etc.

Neither LOST nor HEROES deserves to be on this list, in my opinion.

Oh, well. Entertainment Weekly doesn't have a lot of credibility, anyway; it just features trashy, nonsensical, pop-culture, Hollywood rubbish.

I think what the Matrix had going for it was it did manipulate audiences in a good way. The same way Hitchcock didn't let audiences know what Psycho was about going in. You go in expecting one thing and by 1/3 through the movie you are completely blindsided.

The difference is Psycho is a masterpiece worth rewatching in minute detail for its brilliance. After the initial surprise of the first viewing or two of The Matrix what is left is an action movie that is damn good but pretends to be more than it is.

Not the best of its genre in the last 25 years, that's for damn sure. It was innovative in technology and special effects but after the first time through and the surprise is gone you are left with a movie that is good, but too shallow and pretentious to be as great as its fans declare it.

And yes, I would say Serenity is the better movie. Hands down. Not to mention Blade Runner, Children of Men, Terminator 2, Aliens, Minority Report, etc. etc.

I concur.:wish:

I find it hard to say that the Matrix had half the effect on the genre something like E.T. or even Blade Runner did. The film is an amazing amount of fun, but it is a film about potential more then anything. That is why people bring up the following films. The first was all about a build up to a war. One that never really came with any satisfaction.

Children of Men's camera work, story and acting also puts it to shame.

your opinion automatically goes out the window.

that has to be the one of the worst executed movies in awhile. and the show sucked major balls. both film and show are overrated,especially aomgst fanboys. I like whedon's astonishing X men, never been a big fan of buffy or angel. whedon needs to grow up and get away from these franchises.

your opinion automatically goes out the window.

that has to be the one of the worst executed movies in awhile. and the show sucked major balls. both film and show are overrated,especially aomgst fanboys. I like whedon's astonishing X men, never been a big fan of buffy or angel. whedon needs to grow up and get away from these franchises.

The fact that it really was Buffy in space (Much like Angel was the guy version of Buffy) disliking it and not liking one of the most well put together television series we have seen doesn't hold well for your take on Firefly.

In terms of writing and acting it is superior to the Matrix. Which is actually kind of shallow.

the writing for the matrix is hulluva alot more better then firefly/serenity. and thanks for proving that serenity is nothing but a buffy retake. Whedon has got to be the most overrated write/creator across the freaking country. its like he does'nt know how to write something else different. I like him,but damn. and firefly was not well put together at all. the premise was very weak and did very little to keep me engaged,which is probably why it did'nt dair well with ratings and why it stunk at the B.O.

like i said the "buffy" theme seems to be the only thing whedon knows how to write.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"