Excelsior! Ms. Marvel Reborn as Muslim-American Teenager

Have you people seriously never encountered cognitive dissonance?

You have billions of people who insist they aren't apes, despite all the evidence in the world showing them that's the case.

Is it really hard to believe that people would tune out Thor... or Hercules?

I hear you, it's frustrating as ****.

If you believe that, then you need to read three books.

It's not a matter of belief. It's demonstratively true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

Christians, Muslims, and Jews may disagree in their understandings of what God is, but pretty much all of them are of the opinion that they're all talking about the same thing. They just also think that the other two groups are getting some of the details wrong.

That, or that one god is schizophrenic. Or just really likes his retcons.

Are you arguing against the fact that this is what people believe, or are you arguing against the logic in having that belief? Because those are two different arguments.

It's funny that you say this while also constantly dismissing scientifically proven facts about the history and culture of the various Muslim people throughout the world.

And by funny I mean pathetically hypocritical.

I wonder what you mean by this?

I wonder what you mean by this?

I mean that every time someone has debunked one of your derogatory claims about the Muslim faith with actual facts, you've been dismissive of it because it doesn't fit your worldview. And ragging on others for doing the same thing his hypocritical.

I mean that every time someone has debunked one of your derogatory claims about the Muslim faith with actual facts, you've been dismissive of it because it doesn't fit your worldview. And ragging on others for doing the same thing his hypocritical.

What facts might those have been? I don't remember reading anyone's comment correcting me about allah saying that women are inferior to men, or that only women have to cover themselves.
Heck, I believe in some verses women are even compared to animals actually. And that is the word of allah, the supreme being, from the quran. How am I being derogatory?

It's not a matter of belief. It's demonstratively true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

Christians, Muslims, and Jews may disagree in their understandings of what God is, but pretty much all of them are of the opinion that they're all talking about the same thing. They just also think that the other two groups are getting some of the details wrong.

Are you arguing against the fact that this is what people believe, or are you arguing against the logic in having that belief? Because those are two different arguments.

For all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. You can not say you believe in the same god, and characterize him so radically differently. Jesus in Islam is not the son of God, or even his incarnate. He doesn't even have powers (all he does, he does through Allah). There is no Holy Spirit. No Trinity. Basically, they fundamental disagree on the nature of their deities. That's not a matter of interpretation.

Plus this claim that they worship the same deity, seems to only work backwards. Christians believe their "God" is the same deity in the Torah, but the Jews obviously reject that. Same with the Muslims and the Christians.

They can say whatever they like, but that doesn't make it true... or even logical.

For all intents and purposes, it's the same thing.

No they're not.

You can not say you believe in the same god, and characterize him so radically differently. Jesus in Islam is not the son of God, or even his incarnate. He doesn't even have powers (all he does, he does through Allah). There is no Holy Spirit. No Trinity. Basically, they fundamental disagree on the nature of their deities. That's not a matter of interpretation.

I think that's actually the definition of what interpretation is.

They fundamentally disagree on their nature of their deity but they also believe they all worship the same deity, they simply don't agree about the details. How is that concept hard for you to understand?

Plus this claim that they worship the same deity, seems to only work backwards. Christians believe their "God" is the same deity in the Torah, but the Jews obviously reject that. Same with the Muslims and the Christians.

Provide evidence to back up that claim.

I can do that with mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Abrahamic_religions

They can say whatever they like, but that doesn't make it true... or even logical.

If they believe something then they believe that thing. Wether or not that belief is logical doesn't change the fact that it's what they believe.

Weren't you the one talking about cognitive dissonance earlier?

You clearly have a much (much) broader definition of interpretation than I do. Baptists and Episcopalians have a different interpretation of God. Muslims and Christians have related, but different deities.

And I really am not going to explain to you why Jews reject the notion that the Christian deity is their deity.

Anyway, I can see you and I won't agree on the color of the sky, so let's just stop talking.

If they believe something then they believe that thing. Wether or not that belief is logical doesn't change the fact that it's what they believe.

So they dont think logically... so they are illogical. Meaning: not showing good judgment : not thinking about things in a reasonable or sensible way : not logical

So I would say open to outright ridicule.

You clearly have a much (much) broader definition of interpretation than I do. Baptists and Episcopalians have a different interpretation of God. Muslims and Christians have related, but different deities.

And I really am not going to explain to you why Jews reject the notion that the Christian deity is their deity.

Anyway, I can see you and I won't agree on the color of the sky, so let's just stop talking.

Alright. Thanks for backing out of the conversation without supporting any of your claims with evidence. Because, y'know, that's classy. :up:

So they dont think logically... so they are illogical. Meaning: not showing good judgment : not thinking about things in a reasonable or sensible way : not logical

So I would say open to outright ridicule.

No, because only *******s would do that.

Alright. Thanks for backing out of the conversation without supporting any of your claims with evidence. Because, y'know, that's classy. :up:

Says the man citing Wikipedia. I just find talking to you particularly unpleasant, and this is only going to escalate in ugliness, without accomplishing anything.

Well, you would certainly know something about acting like one of those, wouldn't you?

Can't speak for him, but your lack of understanding of what he was saying showed that there is no point going on. I'm going to bail out also.

I am kind of an ******* sometimes, I admit that. :)

Says the man citing Wikipedia.

Which is a really useful source of information that branches off onto several related and informative articles. :huh:

Well, you would certainly know something about acting like one of those, wouldn't you?

Me arguing with people =/= ****ting on a marginalized minority group that isn't guilty of two thirds of the things they get accused of.

Can't speak for him, but your lack of understanding of what he was saying showed that there is no point going on. I'm going to bail out also.

I completely understood everything he was saying. I just also think he's wrong.

Me arguing with people =/= ****ting on a marginalized minority group that isn't guilty of two thirds of the things they get accused of.

Ohhh, you really know how to bait. I did not **** on marginalized minority group. I only pointed out the ridicilousness of some religion's traits. Which I find stupid because they are not fair or equal and thus WRONG.

Well, there's a reason they won't let you use Wikipedia in high school... Your tone is... so condescending, even if I agreed with you, I'd be reluctant to admit it.

I also wouldn't call the second largest religion in the world a marginalized minority group. ...except maybe in Oklahoma.

Well, there's a reason they won't let you use Wikipedia in high school...

Because it's a second hand source. But it links to a ton of first hand sources and is a perfect way to begin research. It's also usually pretty accurate, contrary to common knowledge.

Your tone is... so condescending, even if I agreed with you, I'd be reluctant to admit it.

So is yours.

I also wouldn't call the second largest religion in the world a marginalized minority group. ...except maybe in Oklahoma.

Well, seeing as this conversation is happening in the context of the English speaking western world, I think it's a pretty fair assessment.

I think it was a New Mutants issue where Magma, who believed she was from a Roman colony in the Amazon jungle, met Hercules and she was freaking out because she got to meet one of her deities in person. Almost at the end of the issue she had a conversation with her then boyfriend Empath, who I think was a Catholic, in regards to their beliefs and faith. I think what Empath boiled it down to was that it was easier to believe in the deities you can actually see but the real test and strength of faith was in those that believed in those they couldn't see in such a concrete manner.

Also, in 2099 there were sects of Thorites. People who venerated Thor (and the rest of the Nordic pantheon, I think) and professed his return. It'll be interesting to see if now that Angela is part of the MU they'll link her to Christians or something else altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"